THE OFFICIAL UNE ONLINE COURSE THREAD

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I think only the O chem II has open notes but honestly it wasn't all that helpful. If you had been doing the weekly quizes and did just a bare minimum of the ungraded homework the final should be relatively easy. I think I only look up 5-10 things in the 3h exam and most of the time it was to just double check that I was remembering a specific fact correctly.

Members don't see this ad.

I think only the O chem II has open notes but honestly it wasn't all that helpful. If you had been doing the weekly quizes and did just a bare minimum of the ungraded homework the final should be relatively easy. I think I only look up 5-10 things in the 3h exam and most of the time it was to just double check that I was remembering a specific fact correctly.

I had open notes exams for both Orgo I & II (Manyan & Rowe respectively), but I agree, definitely don't try to depend on your notes bc you wont have time for that. I found that just flagging the concepts that I had trouble with was really helpful so I wouldn't have to spend time searching for them in the book.

I had open notes exams for both Orgo I & II (Manyan & Rowe respectively), but I agree, definitely don't try to depend on your notes bc you wont have time for that. I found that just flagging the concepts that I had trouble with was really helpful so I wouldn't have to spend time searching for them in the book.

Gen chem II is also open notes/book, and I believe I read in one of the other UNE threads that's Gen chem I is as well. I found that I had plenty of time to look up answers. Granted, I wasn't so much looking up answers as I was confirming what I already knew, so I just needed to skim the part of my notes/the book that had the info real quick instead of actually reading for content, but I still ended up with enough time to double check 2/3 of the questions in ochemII and all but maybe 5 questions in genchemII (That final has fewer questions but you get the same amount of time).

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Hey! For anyone who has taken Med Bio, were there questions from the lab experiments on the final? I've been running through the labs and doing well on the quizzes, but I just want to know if I should study my results/the lab material. Thanks!

Hey! For anyone who has taken Med Bio, were there questions from the lab experiments on the final? I've been running through the labs and doing well on the quizzes, but I just want to know if I should study my results/the lab material. Thanks!

nope

Question here to anyone who has taken Organic I & II, with the labs:
  • Is the lab manual/CD required?
  • Is the VirtualChem software downloadable, or is it through an online service?
I live in East Africa - and I don't want to go through the hassle of purchasing & mailing textbooks/materials to take these classes. From what I've picked up, I think I can get away with using the O-Chem textbook I already own, or at least another ebook I can find online. Do you agree with this?

I'll be retaking these courses for higher grades... not my first rodeo, but I think I can manage with any decent textbook. Thoughts anyone?

Question here to anyone who has taken Organic I & II, with the labs:
  • Is the lab manual/CD required?
  • Is the VirtualChem software downloadable, or is it through an online service?
I live in East Africa - and I don't want to go through the hassle of purchasing & mailing textbooks/materials to take these classes. From what I've picked up, I think I can get away with using the O-Chem textbook I already own, or at least another ebook I can find online. Do you agree with this?

I'll be retaking these courses for higher grades... not my first rodeo, but I think I can manage with any decent textbook. Thoughts anyone?

If you know your stuff fairly well and have another book/the internet to supplement what you know the course itself should be fine. For the lab, the lab manual is utterly useless, you'd never open it, but the CD, or rather the program on the CD, is essential as the quizzes ask you stuff like, "How long did this part of the reaction take."

As with most education software the people behind VirtualChem still think it's 1998 and have no idea just how archaic distributing a 180MB program via physical media is. I searched all over for a download and couldn't find anything through the publisher or through back-alley textbook sites.

I'm enrolled in Medical Biology 1 w/ professor Fisher. Any tips from those who have completed her course?

Thanks, reaperx58. Did you end up purchasing the CD? This doesn't seem to expensive, but I really don't want to wait 4 weeks or so for a tiny envelope that might end up missing anyway.

I emailed Dr. Maynan, with the same question as above, and received this reply:

In fact, since the course is delivered online, all of the assigned homework problems are those listed in the required text. Further, the quiz questions are based on the concepts discussed in the text and there is no e-version of the text we're currently using, which is a reprint of the original, since the original is now out of print. There is really no way to take the course without using the required course materials. I suggest you contact our bookstore manager, [ ] for information regarding mailing texts to [ ].

So... my next question is, are the homework questions from the book graded? If there is assigned problems from the book, am I going to be submitting answers based on these problems? This would be highly problematic. Any examples of potential quiz questions from anyone? Surely they wouldn't be THAT much different from another legit textbook.

About the lab CD: Does the software work on Mac OS X? If not, I can hopefully use virtualization to run the software.... However, does anyone have said CD and might be able to create a disk image and make it available for Dropbox download?

Thanks, reaperx58. Did you end up purchasing the CD? This doesn't seem to expensive, but I really don't want to wait 4 weeks or so for a tiny envelope that might end up missing anyway.

I emailed Dr. Maynan, with the same question as above, and received this reply:

In fact, since the course is delivered online, all of the assigned homework problems are those listed in the required text. Further, the quiz questions are based on the concepts discussed in the text and there is no e-version of the text we're currently using, which is a reprint of the original, since the original is now out of print. There is really no way to take the course without using the required course materials. I suggest you contact our bookstore manager, [ ] for information regarding mailing texts to [ ].

So... my next question is, are the homework questions from the book graded? If there is assigned problems from the book, am I going to be submitting answers based on these problems? This would be highly problematic. Any examples of potential quiz questions from anyone? Surely they wouldn't be THAT much different from another legit textbook.

About the lab CD: Does the software work on Mac OS X? If not, I can hopefully use virtualization to run the software.... However, does anyone have said CD and might be able to create a disk image and make it available for Dropbox download?

When I took this course with Dr. Manyan we did not have to submit homework questions from the book, in fact I didn't even do the homework questions most of the time and used "organic chemistry as a second language" workbooks to get most of my fundamentals down. I think the quiz questions can be easily answered using any orgo text you have along with lecture notes (no point listening to the lectures b/c he pretty much just reads the slides to you).

I believe the lab software works on Mac OS X, so that shouldn't be an issue for you. Unfortunately I sold my lab CD, otherwise I would try to help you out there.
Goodluck!

Does proctorU allow you to take bathroom breaks?

Whether or not you get a break is determined by the prof, ProctorU just enforces the rules they establish, so to be sure you'd have to e-mail the prof. That being said, all the courses I've taken I think I was allowed a ten minute break at the time of my choosing, which they tell you as they are explaining the rules of the exam.

So I noticed people have taken General Chemistry 1 and 2 online at UNE, I just wanted to confirm that these courses satisfy the requirements for physical/inorganic chem!?

EDIT: Also, can someone tell me how much the Gen Chem (II) lab kit costs?

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Im in Week 4 of Medical Biochem. Its pretty intense for me. I do work full time and have really busy kids with activities. If anyone else is currently in the course I'd love to connect to share study strategies, etc. PM me. Thanks!

So I noticed people have taken General Chemistry 1 and 2 online at UNE, I just wanted to confirm that these courses satisfy the requirements for physical/inorganic chem!?

EDIT: Also, can someone tell me how much the Gen Chem (II) lab kit costs?

Most DO schools accept all the UNE courses, but you could contact specific schools to double check. I'm less sure about MD schools, im sure someone has written about it in other threads, or you could just ask those schools too.

I wanna say the lab kit is somewhere around $150

Do you know of Touro CA or Touro NY or Westernu COMP accept UNE courses? I am looking to retake ochem and biochem atm. But this one school costs 2200 just ochem with lab.

I just spoke with the admissions office from Touro CA and they do accept online prerequisite courses (and labs). I then called Western and was told they DO NOT accept online labs, but accept the lecture portion. Hope that helps!

Reactions: 1 users
Anyone have experience with the Chem 2 and willing to share any details? I'm on the fence if I should take this class or not.

Has anyone taken all of their prerequisites online through UNE, or know of any schools that would accept someone that did take all of them through UNE? I'm active duty military and I'm gone around 5-7 days a month so taking a class in-person just isn't feasible.

Anyone have experience with the Chem 2 and willing to share any details? I'm on the fence if I should take this class or not.

If you can self teach from the book then it's a pretty good course, the instructor is awful, but you'll have almost no interaction with her anyway. I didn't the the lab so I can't speak on that. I posted a lengthier review somewhere on a previous page if you want more details.

Has anyone taken all of their prerequisites online through UNE, or know of any schools that would accept someone that did take all of them through UNE? I'm active duty military and I'm gone around 5-7 days a month so taking a class in-person just isn't feasible.

I've never heard of someone taking ALL their prereqs through UNE, but it probably wouldn't be an issue. The majority of DO programs accept the classes, some will not accept the online/lab-in-a-kit labs that some of the courses have, but most won't care. If nothing else UNE will accept all of the courses!

I've heard many who have taken about two or three classes with UNE but not all of it and still receive interviews/acceptance. I wouldn't see a problem as well if you were to take them all at UNE, just as long as you can prove worthiness by nailing the MCAT.

I know of a military physician (currently a resident) who completed all of his coursework online and mostly through UNE.

I also recommend those who are considering taking classes online invest on the MSAR. Even though I'm quite a way from completion, the MSAR helped rule out some schools I thought would take online coursework.

I've given this link out a couple times in PM's, so I've decided to share it here in case it can help somebody. http://highered.mheducation.com/sites/0072920033/sitemap.html

That is a webpage for the book used in the Ochem2 course ("General, Organic, and Biochemistry"). There are two 10-question quizzes for each of the chapters in the book that are helpful for review. The questions are from the same test-bank that the quizzes and final are generated from, so the questions are very similar to those you'll see on the quizzes/final. (There's a small chance you'll see the exact same questions, but since there are only 20 questions for each chapter here, and the full testbank has something like 150 questions per chapter, I wouldn't count on it.)

Edit: The book may be used from Ochem1 too, I didn't take that from UNE so I have no idea

ddmbmom how did this course end up going? I'm going overseas for my gap year and I'm really interested in taking this course online. Did you find it way too complex or was it doable with the right amount of time?

Actually the course got much better after the first 6 weeks/first exam. Those 6 weeks covered like 20 chapters and was heavy on DNA/genetics which is just not interesting to me as metabolism, which, probably because I am a dietitian its just more interesting. So yeah, the course was overall good and I am about 3/4 of the way done and I should be getting an A based on my tests thus far!

Would giving myself 1 month to complete the organic chemistry I course be unreasonable? I would need to have it done by mid-January, so I was thinking about starting it on December 2nd and then trying to power through it right after my finals end. I could start in November but I'm taking gen chem 2, physics 1, and working, so I feel like that might be too much.

Would giving myself 1 month to complete the organic chemistry I course be unreasonable? I would need to have it done by mid-January, so I was thinking about starting it on December 2nd and then trying to power through it right after my finals end. I could start in November but I'm taking gen chem 2, physics 1, and working, so I feel like that might be too much.

If you don't have other obligations it is pretty easily doable, but if you are working or taking classes at the same time not so much.
I finished it in about 6 weeks while working full time, but you have to be efficient and focused.

Goodluck!

I'm currently in week 2 of the Medical Biochemistry exam, PM me for any questions/discussions.

My section ends 1/27/2016.

Why not enroll in November? You could still finish at the same time, and if you happen to have any time to work on a module or something small and then like you said focus on it more once finals end :)
feel free to pm with further questions, I also completed it pretty quickly

Hey guys, I have a question to those who took Biochemistry course through UNE.

I am planning on signing up for April MCAT. And, I want to take Biochemistry UNE course during spring semester along with Organic chemistry 2 and microbiology (with lab). Including biochemistry, all those three classes are retakes.

But, I am worried that I might not be able to do all that with MCAT study and part time job.

Option1)Should I take Biochemistry UNE course after my April 23rd exam? Will I be able to finish it before, lets say, June 10th? I want to apply for DO school as soon as it opens for better chance of getting in.

Option2) Should I just take that course along with Ochem 2 and Microbio while I'm preping for MCAT and working part time?

Option 3) Should I take it after spring semester and after submitting the applications for later grade updates?

My GPA will be around 3.15 by the time I apply without Biochemistry replace. With replace, it will be like 3.248. I am very worried. Thank you

Hey guys, I have a question to those who took Biochemistry course through UNE.

I am planning on signing up for April MCAT. And, I want to take Biochemistry UNE course during spring semester along with Organic chemistry 2 and microbiology (with lab). Including biochemistry, all those three classes are retakes.

But, I am worried that I might not be able to do all that with MCAT study and part time job.

Option1)Should I take Biochemistry UNE course after my April 23rd exam? Will I be able to finish it before, lets say, June 10th? I want to apply for DO school as soon as it opens for better chance of getting in.

Option2) Should I just take that course along with Ochem 2 and Microbio while I'm preping for MCAT and working part time?

Option 3) Should I take it after spring semester and after submitting the applications for later grade updates?

My GPA will be around 3.15 by the time I apply without Biochemistry replace. With replace, it will be like 3.248. I am very worried. Thank you

Just want to let you know that I spend a lot of time on this UNE Biochem class (trying to get an A). I work part-time (20 hours a week), and also spend maybe 12 hours a week at the gym, the rest of my time on weekdays is generally studying for the Biochem class & MCAT content review. If you are super comfortable with your biology knowledge, like have taken Bio I & II and possibly other bio higher electives recently you might be in a better position to do well in the UNE course without having to study as much as I have been! Let me know what your history with bio is. The information in this course is very detailed, but I'm not sure how much will actually be on the MCAT. If it is, then I imagine this class is great for content review! get back to me or PM me!

Just want to let you know that I spend a lot of time on this UNE Biochem class (trying to get an A). I work part-time (20 hours a week), and also spend maybe 12 hours a week at the gym, the rest of my time on weekdays is generally studying for the Biochem class & MCAT content review. If you are super comfortable with your biology knowledge, like have taken Bio I & II and possibly other bio higher electives recently you might be in a better position to do well in the UNE course without having to study as much as I have been! Let me know what your history with bio is. The information in this course is very detailed, but I'm not sure how much will actually be on the MCAT. If it is, then I imagine this class is great for content review! get back to me or PM me!

Thank you for the reply. I'm not trying to take this class for MCAT. I graduated college with biochemistry degree so I can say I do have some background knowledge in it. I just want to know if I can start, let's say, around last week of April to finish the course mid June?

I want to add this course on my transcript so that my GPA goes up to 3.24 which gives me better chance to get into med school.

What do you think?
Also I will be working part time, and attending school part time as well after the MCAT

Thank you for the reply. I'm not trying to take this class for MCAT. I graduated college with biochemistry degree so I can say I do have some background knowledge in it. I just want to know if I can start, let's say, around last week of April to finish the course mid June?

I want to add this course on my transcript so that my GPA goes up to 3.24 which gives me better chance to get into med school.

What do you think?
Also I will be working part time, and attending school part time as well after the MCAT

I would focus on the MCAT,and take this course after then if it just for a re-take or GPA booster. Just send in your app when you have this grade added to your GPA

I would focus on the MCAT,and take this course after then if it just for a re-take or GPA booster. Just send in your app when you have this grade added to your GPA

do you think this course can be done in like 6 weeks?

do you think this course can be done in like 6 weeks?

No, but you could perhaps finish in 8-10 weeks, if you have 0 obligations to anything else or have an extensive knowledge of biology already.

Has anyone taken UNE General Medical Chemistry 1 CHEM 1010? How hard was the final? Were the questions on the final similar to the quiz questions? What is the best way to prepare for the final exam? Thanks so much!

Has anyone taken UNE General Medical Chemistry 1 CHEM 1010? How hard was the final? Were the questions on the final similar to the quiz questions? What is the best way to prepare for the final exam? Thanks so much!
I'd like to know as well. Taking the UNE gen Chem 1010 final in a couple weeks.

Have you taken the Midterm?

I took Chem 1 & the lab component as my first course at UNE and got an A- in both the class and Lab. I also worked full time and took Medical Bio & Lab simultaneously -- I received an A- in that class as well. Each class was relatively smooth, but by no means a gimme. I'd say I averaged 10 to 12hrs of study time per week/weekend for the 2 classes (Mostly reading and taking notes on the main points.) The quizzes were pretty straight forward for both classes, and the midterms were the same. In my opinion, nothing was unfair about the material on the midterms or finals. If you sincerely read the chapters and are fairly decent at taking notes/studying them, you should be good to go.

I took Chem 1 & the lab component as my first course at UNE and got an A- in both the class and Lab. I also worked full time and took Medical Bio & Lab simultaneously -- I received an A- in that class as well. Each class was relatively smooth, but by no means a gimme. I'd say I averaged 10 to 12hrs of study time per week/weekend for the 2 classes (Mostly reading and taking notes on the main points.) The quizzes were pretty straight forward for both classes, and the midterms were the same. In my opinion, nothing was unfair about the material on the midterms or finals. If you sincerely read the chapters and are fairly decent at taking notes/studying them, you should be good to go.
Thanks for the input. I am working two jobs at the moment, and although I do work on every single problem, I think I need to do more reading. So far on the quizzes I have been able to get 100% because I use my notes, but I hate doing that because it's not efficient. Did you find that the midterm and final questions were similar in relation to the quiz questions? I feel that the quiz questions are easier than most practice problems, and am concerned that the midterm and final questions will be much harder.

There are so many other schools around the country that offer legit online distance learning coursework for half the price of what UNE is charging. best of all, the course grade doesnt have enormous weightage on a midterm and a final so you can bomb a test. harvest the power of google friends :)

There are so many other schools around the country that offer legit online distance learning coursework for half the price of what UNE is charging. best of all, the course grade doesnt have enormous weightage on a midterm and a final so you can bomb a test. harvest the power of google friends :)
Are they accepted by DO schools? UNECOM is accepted by many DO schools.

university of minnesota, twin cities offers distance learning courses. Why would UNE's online classes be any different from that of a 4 year university? Im bummed about the online human genetics class being no longer available at Oklahoma State University. it was 600 bucks and gave you 9 months to finish.

university of minnesota, twin cities offers distance learning courses. Why would UNE's online classes be any different from that of a 4 year university? Im bummed about the online human genetics class being no longer available at Oklahoma State University. it was 600 bucks and gave you 9 months to finish.
I have been taking some courses elsewhere because UNE is so expensive. Have you been happy with OSU and UofMinn? I need two more classes and would love more info

university of Minnesota, twin cities offers distance learning courses. Why would UNE's online classes be any different from that of a 4 year university? Im bummed about the online human genetics class being no longer available at Oklahoma State University. it was 600 bucks and gave you 9 months to finish.

I took a look at U of M and it does look pretty good as far as selection. The one down side I see is that most necessary courses are on a semester schedule. UNE allows you to register at any time, and new classes start every two weeks. It's more expensive, but it's also far more convenient. If you stack your course load appropriately, and can complete the courses in a reasonable time frame, you can literally complete all of your prerequisites in a semester. I finished Bio 1 & 2, Chem 1 & 2, and shortly Orgo 1 & 2, in less than 4 months. That would have taken me an academic year anywhere else. Having 9 months is cool if you want to take that long, but for those who don't want to waste a year because of the unnecessary red tape that is the traditional semester setup, UNE is a God send. Unless I'm not seeing this possibility at U of M? I also don't see anything about Labs. Does U of M offer accredited, at home lab components?

Last edited:
I'm also seeing that the cost is $470 per credit. Is this so? If so, these classes are as expensive as UNE's

Thanks for the input. I am working two jobs at the moment, and although I do work on every single problem, I think I need to do more reading. So far on the quizzes I have been able to get 100% because I use my notes, but I hate doing that because it's not efficient. Did you find that the midterm and final questions were similar in relation to the quiz questions? I feel that the quiz questions are easier than most practice problems, and am concerned that the midterm and final questions will be much harder.

In my opinion, it was a little of both. There was content on the exam that related directly to the quizzes, but there was also content that I would have had no clue about had I not really read the chapters and took serious notes.

I have been taking some courses elsewhere because UNE is so expensive. Have you been happy with OSU and UofMinn? I need two more classes and would love more info
If im paying close to 1300 for a class, i better get an A. I dont necessarily want a hand me down A where the teacher spoon feeds you the matter. On the other hand, i dont want a class where I am teaching myself the material and have a horrible instructor. My inference of UNE from this forum and rate my professor has been not so favorable. So Ive looked elsewhere for answers. I took genetics from Oakton community college and it was awesome. Since you are doing a distance learning program, they dont charge you out of state tuition. University of Minnesota's genetics class is just as good and has good reviews about the professor teaching the class.
I spoke to Dr.De silva who teaches the OSU genetics program that is distance learning as well. the class costs $602 but has been discontinued.

Last edited:
I took a look at U of M and it does look pretty good as far as selection. The one down side I see is that most necessary courses are on a semester schedule. UNE allows you to register at any time, and new classes start every two weeks. It's more expensive, but it's also far more convenient. If you stack your course load appropriately, and can complete the courses in a reasonable time frame, you can literally complete all of your prerequisites in a semester. I finished Bio 1 & 2, Chem 1 & 2, and shortly Physics 1 & 2, in less than 4 months. That would have taken me an academic year anywhere else. Having 9 months is cool if you want to take that long, but for those who don't want to waste a year because of the unnecessary red tape that is the traditional semester setup, UNE is a God send. Unless I'm not seeing this possibility at U of M? I also don't see anything about Labs. Does U of M offer accredited, at home lab components?

I agree with you on the cost factor.Also, U of M does not have a lab component. I like U of M because they have better teachers and tests that are not just a midterm and a final. You said you finished physics 1 & 2.I am only seeing a physics 1 class on the UNE online website. ive looked everywhere to find a college where i can do college physics 1 and 2 online

I agree with you on the cost factor.Also, U of M does not have a lab component. I like U of M because they have better teachers and tests that are not just a midterm and a final. You said you finished physics 1 & 2.I am only seeing a physics 1 class on the UNE online website. ive looked everywhere to find a college where i can do college physics 1 and 2 online

Both Dallas Community College and Northern Virginia Community College offer college physics 1 and 2 online.