THE OFFICIAL UNE ONLINE COURSE THREAD

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I finished organic chemistry 2 this week with an A. I have the 2 proctored exams left in biochemistry. Please message me if you have any suggestions on how to study and prepare for these exams!!! I am curious if anyone saw any trends from where questions are pulled from. For all exams, I assume there is a bank of questions the questions are pulled from. But I am curious if you noticed questions being pulled from or similar to - quizzes, reviews, book questions, homework, unit reviews, presentations, etc. Please message me or reply here. Thanks!

hi! i'm currently taking the ochem 2 course, do you have the banks for the exams? how were the quizzes formatted?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Looking at probably taking the bulk of my prereqs through UNE. I took microbio there in 2015 - tough class, a good one, but tough. Pretty sure my prof was Frisardi since that sounds familiar. Figured I would probably bomb the final and - the proctor just happened to mention it was open-book (zero mention of this beforehand) and I just about peed my pants. This was all after they gave me an extension on the course (just emailed me since they saw I was falling behind, no extra fees, no punishment whatsoever) which saved my butt. Definitely recommend it if you need micro, but be prepared to put in the work.
Jeez, lucky! My father had a massive cardiac event and they wouldn't let me extend by even a week, regardless of the fact that I was actively going across the country to a family member who was potentially dying. Of course, I did not take the final and failed the course due to the set up of the course. I definitely don't recommend physics with them for that reason. It sounds like the others might be an option though.

hi! i'm currently taking the ochem 2 course, do you have the banks for the exams? how were the quizzes formatted?

The student solutions manual for the lab was very useful to me, I’d bet it’d be pretty useful to the lecture as well. Did you purchase both books?

Members don't see this ad :)
Jeez, lucky! My father had a massive cardiac event and they wouldn't let me extend by even a week, regardless of the fact that I was actively going across the country to a family member who was potentially dying. Of course, I did not take the final and failed the course due to the set up of the course. I definitely don't recommend physics with them for that reason. It sounds like the others might be an option though.

ugh that sucks! they may have changed their policies - this was 4 years ago.

Hi everyone. I'm considering taking orgo 2 through UNE online. I understand the exams are proctored but are the questions taken out of a bank? Like, are past exams available to study from? Thanks
this is a really good question! please respond, somebody! haha

I haven't taken A&P at UNE, but in general, it's a subject you don't want to rush. Is this your first anatomy class? If not, you can probably knock it out relatively quickly.
Sorry, didn't see this! No, I've taken a lot of physiology-based coursework without much emphasis on anatomy, so, this is my first proper anatomy class.

I'm working full time and also taking an on campus microbio class at a local school (which, incidentally only offers combined A&P I&II, which would have meant two full semesters as opposed to one semester of anatomy), and I can tell the UNE anatomy class will probably take me close to the 16 weeks we're permitted to get through everything (so, roughly 3-4 weeks per unit).

If this is the only class you have going on, it would definitely be possible to go through it faster, though. There is just a TON of material to memorize and know.

Sorry, didn't see this! No, I've taken a lot of physiology-based coursework without much emphasis on anatomy, so, this is my first proper anatomy class.

I'm working full time and also taking an on campus microbio class at a local school (which, incidentally only offers combined A&P I&II, which would have meant two full semesters as opposed to one semester of anatomy), and I can tell the UNE anatomy class will probably take me close to the 16 weeks we're permitted to get through everything (so, roughly 3-4 weeks per unit).

If this is the only class you have going on, it would definitely be possible to go through it faster, though. There is just a TON of material to memorize and know.
Yeah, I wouldn't rush that one then. The anatomy part of A&P is definitely more work-intensive. Good luck!

I took Biochem online at Doane and it wasn't proctored. Sorry, I know this is super late.
how did you like doane's biochem course? I'm weighing it against UNE. I don't need the lab, so that's my hangup with Doane. Did you have to pay for the extra credit hour PLUS buy an at-home lab kit??

I didn't do a lab because it's not required for Biochem. Maybe it was a part of the class but I honestly don't even remember, sorry.
The class was okay. It was a fair amount of work for what it is. They made us do some annoying biweekly video presentations which really sucked, otherwise I would have gotten an A instead of an A- lol. I would recommend it overall though. I'll probably take more Doane courses vs UNE.

Oh interesting. Yeah the course I’m looking at now is 4 credits and lab is part of it and you can’t opt out. But it seems like the “labs” might all be online too.
One of the things I like about UNE is that it’s self paced. I work 12h ER shifts Thur, Fri, and Sat so I cant do any coursework on those days and I saw on the syllabus that the group discussion posts are due Thursday (which I could do ahead of time) and then you have to respond to a post by Saturday (which I definitely won’t be able to do).
How much were you able to work ahead? Is it doable if there are 3 days a week completely out of the question?

Hi everyone! I am thinking about doing my prerequisite courses at UNE online and I was wondering what your opinions are about it? Are the lectures helpful in teaching you the material or do you have to teach yourself majority of the subject? and do you recommend taking more than one class at a time?

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi everyone! I am thinking about doing my prerequisite courses at UNE online and I was wondering what your opinions are about it? Are the lectures helpful in teaching you the material or do you have to teach yourself majority of the subject? and do you recommend taking more than one class at a time?
Honestly I think it really depends on the person. My last degree was fully online so I'm pretty used to the whole online lectures thing - and if it's stuff I've already learned (which is most of these prereqs), the lecture is usually enough to refresh my memory. You do have the book and lecture slides to fall back on as well - some are exactly the same as the lecture, others are more helpful.

As far as scheduling - do you work? I work FT + PT (both from home), no kids/husband (just a dog mom), and I'm currently taking 2 classes (gen chem 2 and physics 1, both with lab). Trying to get them done in less than 16 weeks, so it's pretty fast-paced, but not awful. Since UNE's classes are self-paced, you have to be good about planning/scheduling and getting things done. It's definitely doable to take more than one at a time, but I wouldn't recommend more than 2 or 3 simultaneously just for sanity's sake. If you work FT, have a commute, kids/family, etc - 1 at a time is probably more than enough.

Honestly I think it really depends on the person. My last degree was fully online so I'm pretty used to the whole online lectures thing - and if it's stuff I've already learned (which is most of these prereqs), the lecture is usually enough to refresh my memory. You do have the book and lecture slides to fall back on as well - some are exactly the same as the lecture, others are more helpful.

As far as scheduling - do you work? I work FT + PT (both from home), no kids/husband (just a dog mom), and I'm currently taking 2 classes (gen chem 2 and physics 1, both with lab). Trying to get them done in less than 16 weeks, so it's pretty fast-paced, but not awful. Since UNE's classes are self-paced, you have to be good about planning/scheduling and getting things done. It's definitely doable to take more than one at a time, but I wouldn't recommend more than 2 or 3 simultaneously just for sanity's sake. If you work FT, have a commute, kids/family, etc - 1 at a time is probably more than enough.

I work part time and have no kids/wife so my schedule is pretty open. I know dental schools want you to take a lot of units at once because thats how it's going to be in dental school so I was thinking of taking max three classes at once. Do you have to schedule your own exams or are their certain dates when exams are and you have to complete everything by a deadline?

I work part time and have no kids/wife so my schedule is pretty open. I know dental schools want you to take a lot of units at once because thats how it's going to be in dental school so I was thinking of taking max three classes at once. Do you have to schedule your own exams or are their certain dates when exams are and you have to complete everything by a deadline?
That sounds reasonable. I'm pretty sure that all the classes allow you to schedule your own exams - they're through ProctorU, and they pretty much have every date/time combo available as long as you schedule far enough out (and you can reschedule up until a day or so before I think). You usually just have the course end as the deadline for everything. Which ones are you thinking of taking together? I've only taken 3 so far (microbio, gen chem 2, physics 1) so not sure how helpful I am with the workload required for the others.

That sounds reasonable. I'm pretty sure that all the classes allow you to schedule your own exams - they're through ProctorU, and they pretty much have every date/time combo available as long as you schedule far enough out (and you can reschedule up until a day or so before I think). You usually just have the course end as the deadline for everything. Which ones are you thinking of taking together? I've only taken 3 so far (microbio, gen chem 2, physics 1) so not sure how helpful I am with the workload required for the others.

What are the Microbio exams like?
I’m taking it now and I’ve just taken the chapter tests/vocab quizzes so far and they’re all MC or matching. Are the unit exams the same way? And the proctored final?

I’m thinking of taking gen chem, physics, and bio together for each part and then microbio and ochem together. Is there a lot of work that you have to do for lab?

What are the Microbio exams like?
I’m taking it now and I’ve just taken the chapter tests/vocab quizzes so far and they’re all MC or matching. Are the unit exams the same way? And the proctored final?
Hopefully they haven't changed it since I took it - was back in 2015. I have little recollection of the unit exam or final but I'm pretty sure they were structured the same way. Final was open-book and open-notes but I swear the prof never mentioned it. Luckily I had all my stuff super organized and ran off to get my book and binders when the proctor asked if I had my materials haha.

I’m thinking of taking gen chem, physics, and bio together for each part and then microbio and ochem together. Is there a lot of work that you have to do for lab?
That sounds pretty reasonable to me. Microbio was a LOT of material and a lot of work (but labs were pretty quick) so I wouldn't take more than 1 class with that one. I haven't really dug into the labs for gen chem and physics yet but I don't think they're going to be too painful.

Hopefully they haven't changed it since I took it - was back in 2015. I have little recollection of the unit exam or final but I'm pretty sure they were structured the same way. Final was open-book and open-notes but I swear the prof never mentioned it. Luckily I had all my stuff super organized and ran off to get my book and binders when the proctor asked if I had my materials haha.

That sounds pretty reasonable to me. Microbio was a LOT of material and a lot of work (but labs were pretty quick) so I wouldn't take more than 1 class with that one. I haven't really dug into the labs for gen chem and physics yet but I don't think they're going to be too painful.

I’ll definitely not take too many classes with microbio. I don’t want to ruin my science gpa lol. Do you have to send transcripts to them for the prerequisites for these classes?

I’ll definitely not take too many classes with microbio. I don’t want to ruin my science gpa lol. Do you have to send transcripts to them for the prerequisites for these classes?
Nope! I think the registration process was pretty easy.

Oh awesome. I just need to call a lot of dental schools and make sure they accept the credits from this school for online classes

Oh awesome. I just need to call a lot of dental schools and make sure they accept the credits from this school for online classes
Oh, I feel you. I'm limited to med schools that will, and that cuts down the list considerably. So annoying.

Not really sure yet. A lot on my list are OOS state schools, so I have to take a look at whether I actually have a chance or not. Hoping for something around 10-15 apps.

Oh alright. Thats how many schools I plan on applying when the times comes as well. I wish you the best of luck on your applications!

I’m in Organic Chem II right now and just completed the midterm.

I pretty much remember everything so if you have any questions just DM me!
How quickly is that class moving along for you? Wondering if I can knock my OChems out faster than 16 weeks each.

Hi everyone! I am currently taking the online Medical Biochemistry course and was wondering if anyone else was in it currently? And to anyone who has taken it recently- do the exams seem to focus on the brief lectures/charts in the lectures or do I need memorize everything in the book that she doesn't address in lecture? I know people have discussed this in the past but I was unsure if it had changed in the past months and there seems to be a LOT of information in the book that is never mentioned in the lecture or on the study guides.

hey whats up guys?

I plan on taking gen chem II, doing the online route. A quick question.

Would I be able to do this in about give or take 6 weeks? I know there are discussions I would need to participate in, but other than that would everything else be doable in that time? I have taken chem already, however my school wont allow me to retake it, hence why I am going the online method.

Another question, would anyone here be able to show me a copy of the syllabus? Specifically what topics would I need to know? I plan on taking this by Mid-April, so anything I could brush up on would be truly helpful.

Hi everyone! I am currently taking the online Medical Biochemistry course and was wondering if anyone else was in it currently? And to anyone who has taken it recently- do the exams seem to focus on the brief lectures/charts in the lectures or do I need memorize everything in the book that she doesn't address in lecture? I know people have discussed this in the past but I was unsure if it had changed in the past months and there seems to be a LOT of information in the book that is never mentioned in the lecture or on the study guides.

Hey! This isn’t actually answering your question (sorry), but I’m gonna take medical biochem through UNE soon and I was wondering how closely the course adheres to the required text? I took biochem before and have voet & voet’s text, and I was hoping that I would be able to just use that in conjunction with the course material.
I’ve already taken the course at a different institution and I did really well. Im retaking bc it was on the quarter system and just barely falls short of the credit requirements of the school I’ve been accepted to, so I need to retake it on the semester system so that it is enough credit hours. So, I’ve already learned the information for the class.
With that context, Do you think that it’s possible to use a different text for the class?

Hey, has anyone taken Genetics through UNE? or physics 1? Can you give me some advice on which one is more do-able and would increase my GPA the "easiest"?

Hey, has anyone taken Genetics through UNE? or physics 1? Can you give me some advice on which one is more do-able and would increase my GPA the "easiest"?
I'm in physics 1 right now and it seems pretty easy - and I haven't taken physics since HS 17 years ago. Can't speak for genetics, but if you've already taken physics and you're comfortable with math stuff, it's probably a safe bet.

I'm currently in OChem 2. I had read on here that the midterm and final were open book and open note. Today I looked at the syllabus and it said you can print out their "useful information" pdf for the midterm but it cannot have any additional notes and then there is no resources allowed for the final. Were you guys able to use notes on the midterm and final?

I’m struggling in my ochem 2 class at my community college right now mainly due to it focusing on mechanisms and synthesis problems. There is no multiple choice. I’m thinking of dropping the course. How is the course and exams set up on UNE? Do I have to complete the assignments from home or can it be done from anywhere where there is a reliable internet connection? Also, do we have to write lab reports and is the class curved?

I’m struggling in my ochem 2 class at my community college right now mainly due to it focusing on mechanisms and synthesis problems. There is no multiple choice. I’m thinking of dropping the course. How is the course and exams set up on UNE? Do I have to complete the assignments from home or can it be done from anywhere where there is a reliable internet connection? Also, do we have to write lab reports and is the class curved?

I'm currently taking Ochem 2 through UNE and so far it has been SO much better than Ochem 1. Ochem 1 was apparently recently redesigned and it really sucked the life out of me. The quiz and test questions came out of left field and were NOT based on the material we were given to study and practice. I barely eked out a B- in lecture, and that was after the entire class revolted and sent complaints to the course administrators which finally prompted them to review the course content. They agreed with the majority of the students that the quiz and test questions were more difficult than what the course materials prepared us for and awarded us all a measly 3 point curve to our final grades, but it was better than nothing.

They said they would implement the 3 point curve until they'd had time to edit the test bank to be a better reflection of what was in your course materials. That being said...BEWARE OF UNE OCHEM 1. YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED!

Now, onto your question about Ochem 2. Ochem 2 is laid out completely differently than Ochem 1 was. The bulk of your grade is weighted by quizzes and 2 exams; the midterm and final which are both open book/open note. I started 2/6 and currently in week 9 of the course which is technically about 3 weeks ahead of schedule, and I work full time and have a family. So that's saying something. The quiz questions are largely drawn directly from the chapter and corresponding ppt slides. Same drab "lectures" as all the other UNE courses I've taken, but they're actually useful here in that many quiz and exam questions are taken straight out of them. If you take good notes from the lectures and have even just a basic understanding of the material, you will do fine. They give you plenty of time to find the answers. As soon as I finished module 6, I spent 1 day reviewing them and then decided to try the midterm and made an 88. And most of the answers I needed to look up I was able to find in my notes from the lectures. Things get a little more difficult after module 6, but the trend of being patient and taking good notes is proving to still be effective.

I can't stress that enough. The lectures are horribly boring, but get through them, copy down every bullet point (or just print out all the slides if you can do that), and you'll slide right through.

Hope that helps.

I'm currently in OChem 2. I had read on here that the midterm and final were open book and open note. Today I looked at the syllabus and it said you can print out their "useful information" pdf for the midterm but it cannot have any additional notes and then there is no resources allowed for the final. Were you guys able to use notes on the midterm and final?

Which section are you in? Instructor? I'm also currently in O-chem 2 with Dr. Maksimov and it is my understanding that both the midterm and final are open book/open note.

I’m in the medical biochemistry class. Does anyone have access to the midterm/ final proctored questions (spring 19 version)
Everything Prior to this semester has changed completely

Reactions: 1 users
I'm in physics 1 right now and it seems pretty easy - and I haven't taken physics since HS 17 years ago. Can't speak for genetics, but if you've already taken physics and you're comfortable with math stuff, it's probably a safe bet.

How long is it taking you? Are the exams fairly easy/ open book? I haven't taken since HS either.

I'm currently taking Ochem 2 through UNE and so far it has been SO much better than Ochem 1. Ochem 1 was apparently recently redesigned and it really sucked the life out of me. The quiz and test questions came out of left field and were NOT based on the material we were given to study and practice. I barely eked out a B- in lecture, and that was after the entire class revolted and sent complaints to the course administrators which finally prompted them to review the course content. They agreed with the majority of the students that the quiz and test questions were more difficult than what the course materials prepared us for and awarded us all a measly 3 point curve to our final grades, but it was better than nothing.

They said they would implement the 3 point curve until they'd had time to edit the test bank to be a better reflection of what was in your course materials. That being said...BEWARE OF UNE OCHEM 1. YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED!

Now, onto your question about Ochem 2. Ochem 2 is laid out completely differently than Ochem 1 was. The bulk of your grade is weighted by quizzes and 2 exams; the midterm and final which are both open book/open note. I started 2/6 and currently in week 9 of the course which is technically about 3 weeks ahead of schedule, and I work full time and have a family. So that's saying something. The quiz questions are largely drawn directly from the chapter and corresponding ppt slides. Same drab "lectures" as all the other UNE courses I've taken, but they're actually useful here in that many quiz and exam questions are taken straight out of them. If you take good notes from the lectures and have even just a basic understanding of the material, you will do fine. They give you plenty of time to find the answers. As soon as I finished module 6, I spent 1 day reviewing them and then decided to try the midterm and made an 88. And most of the answers I needed to look up I was able to find in my notes from the lectures. Things get a little more difficult after module 6, but the trend of being patient and taking good notes is proving to still be effective.

I can't stress that enough. The lectures are horribly boring, but get through them, copy down every bullet point (or just print out all the slides if you can do that), and you'll slide right through.

Hope that helps.

Do you happen to have the course schedule for ochem 2? Are you concurrently taking the lab portion as well? If so, how is the class? I will need to take both lecture and lab. Which professor(s) should I take? Right now, it says TBA for all sections. Lastly, where should I purchase the textbook and should I buy the supplemental chapter as well? Thank you.

Do you happen to have the course schedule for ochem 2? Are you concurrently taking the lab portion as well? If so, how is the class? I will need to take both lecture and lab. Which professor(s) should I take? Right now, it says TBA for all sections. Lastly, where should I purchase the textbook and should I buy the supplemental chapter as well? Thank you.

Don’t buy the book. It’s not necessary. (For the lecture at least). I know where you can download for free though. Message me if you decide to take the course.

For UNE Chem II, I am relying on clutchprep. This site saved my butt because I couldn't stand to listen to the lectures anymore and it wasn't teaching me anything. They have video lectures with worksheets for each chapter so it has been extremely helpful to attain a proper understanding of the info, since they actually TEACH it to you with worksheets, examples, videos like in a real class if that make sense.

Reactions: 1 users
Don’t buy the book. It’s not necessary. (For the lecture at least). I know where you can download for free though. Message me if you decide to take the course.
i bought the book for $7 :( i don't know why i always purchase books but i know i'll never use them lol

I am thinking about registering for orgo 1 online through UNE. I have to retake orgo for my conditional acceptance to vet school and am super nervous about how tough the class might be. Anyone who has taken this have any tips or insight? How are the exams? Also wondering how quickly most people are able to finish this course? Thanks in advance!

ORGO 2 (CHEM 1021)

Hey all,
There seems to be some new profs teaching organic 2. Any word on these people? I know Rowe was the previous teacher.

Gianatassio, Ryan
Theberge, Cory
Klinkerch, Edmund
Hey in currently taking 1021 with Gianatassio i have the midterm tomorrow do you have any info on the test i need to figure out how to pass it

So I registered for Ochem II but it said instructor TBA. I was placed in Dr. Rowe's class. Looked at the syllabus but it doesn't say anything about books being allowed on any proctored exams. Only the "useful information" pdf and a scientific calculator is allowed on the midterm lecture exam, none on the final lecture exam, and the "useful information" pdf on the final lab exam.

I thought it was open notes/open books for all of the proctored exams.

I have read the last 6-7 pages of this thread and have found some info useful, but still looking for some. Basically, I am doing post bacc science prereq's in order to improve GPA and I have not been in a formal classroom for 6+ years. I am looking to go to medical school and want to show I can do well (+better than my grades reflect from 6-10 years ago). I have taken Anatomy, Medical physiolgy, and genetics through UNE and earned A-, A-, and A respectively. I am looking to take a few more classes and would like advice from anyone who has taken the following classes: Organic II, Biochem, Micro, pathophys, and medical biology classes. I would like to complete all of these courses within one year from now. I currently work full time as a paramedic but could take ~5-6 months off to take 3 or 4 of these at once. Any advice on which order, which professor, or general advice would be appreciated. Thank you.

I have read the last 6-7 pages of this thread and have found some info useful, but still looking for some. Basically, I am doing post bacc science prereq's in order to improve GPA and I have not been in a formal classroom for 6+ years. I am looking to go to medical school and want to show I can do well (+better than my grades reflect from 6-10 years ago). I have taken Anatomy, Medical physiolgy, and genetics through UNE and earned A-, A-, and A respectively. I am looking to take a few more classes and would like advice from anyone who has taken the following classes: Organic II, Biochem, Micro, pathophys, and medical biology classes. I would like to complete all of these courses within one year from now. I currently work full time as a paramedic but could take ~5-6 months off to take 3 or 4 of these at once. Any advice on which order, which professor, or general advice would be appreciated. Thank you.
I took microbio. It's a pretty heavy course, workload-wise.

In micro now. The course itself is not hard-all exams except the final are unproctored and open book/open note. Even open internet. Final is proctored but still open book/note as long as its all printed.
A LOT of material though. 30 chapters in 16 weeks. Plus 3 discussion board questions (have to read 4-5 articles for each and respond to prompts) as well as a case study on a bacterium or virus.