THE OFFICIAL UNE ONLINE COURSE THREAD

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hi all,
I am currently signed up for the UNE Biochemistry Class. I have already gotten into school and just need to get a C, but would like to do better. I was non-trad so I haven't taken any higher level bio classes in a while. I am completely stressed out about this class because I just tried to watch the first lecture video (are the lecture videos the ones that are only like 7-10 minutes long?).. I have no idea the information they are even using to EXPLAIN the harder information. I have not taken orgo in forever. Does anyone have any study tips/information they can provide me on how to succeed in this class. Again, the issue is even starting topic 1.1 or whatever, I don't know the common terms or processes they are describing. So not sure how to even start it.

Also was the book and the random khan academy links the professor posts helpful to the section quizzes and unit exams? Thanks

Hey Atticus I'm at the midterm point right now and all I can say is Unit 1 and 2 are a GRIND. Honestly I feel this is a class that if you can push through in 6-8 weeks, do that. AK Lectures are a huge lifesaver in clearing information up, the guy who does them is now in medical school I think. The book sucks, I hate it, you just gotta accept that and push through it. I would actively read and take notes of the chapter ONCE. Don't get bogged down by too many little details, just follow the weekly objectives and study guides. Take notes on the lecture videos too as those things will come up on exams and quizzes. I've heard that a lot of the quiz questions, exam questions can be on the midterm and final. The pathway responses and case connections are not that hard. Let me know if you have any more questions, I'm still studying for the midterm so we'll see how that goes.

Organic chemistry is not necessary, I believe, to be successful. Physiology and Cell and Molecular have actually been more helpful for me. Honestly just take this class as a good challenge as the level of medical school will be up to this standard or maybe even harder, who knows.

Members don't see this ad.

I just finished OchemII with a 96%, thought I'd share my thoughts since no one in this thread has mentioned that particular class yet.

The class was kind of a joke honestly, I started on March 18th and took the final April 8th. The only reason it was 3 weeks instead of 2 is because they ask that you give a week's notice when you register for the proctored final exam. The content of the class is divided up between 6 modules of spectroscopy and 8 modules of watered down biochemistry. The end of chapter quizzes were almost entirely taken from an old chem webpage from another university, which I only stumbled upon on the 2nd to last quiz because one of the questions was so poorly written I had no idea what the answer was and threw the whole thing into Google.

That being said, the few questions that do come straight from the book are pretty bad, and by that I mean they are scientifically wrong, or at best half-truths. For example, There was a question that asked, "Which of the following changes in a DNA molecule may have no effect on the protein for which it codes?" and changing the first, second, or third base in a codon were all options for the answer (The correct answer was the third base of a codon). I missed this question and tried to reason with the instructor, I tried to explain to her (With examples) that changes in either of the first two codons may also result in no effect on the protein. She told me that I was right, but, "Changes in the third codon will NEVER effect the protein, and that can't be said for the other two," and that is what the question meant. I sent her more examples of changes in the third base of a codon can result in coding for a different amino acid, etc etc, fast forward 12 emails (literally) and it has become abundantly clear that she doesn't actually understand the concept we're discussing. Finally she tells me that if my grade comes down on the line between two grades she'll consider giving me the point. Apparently my percent in the class was going to determine how DNA works.

The final itself was less frustrating than the quizzes, but only because by that point I had figured out that if a question was strange or had strange answers it meant that it came straight from the book and I just had to look up the key terms in the index until I found the right sentence in the chapter. They give you 4 hours to answer 100 multiple choice questions, I think I did it in an hour and a half, and I double checked all but a handful of questions by looking the up. If you have the class slides and the book in front of you when you take the final you should be fine, even if you have to look up every answer. (They claim you won't have time to do that, but if you can take the MCAT with nothing but a pencil and paper in 3.5 hours, you can take this test with all your notes in 4 no problem.)

All this negative aside, I would recommend UNE to anyone who needs to do some grade replacement, it's a REALLY easy A, and if you have time everyday or time every few days and a strong biochem background, you can knock it out in no time flat. I really hope that the negative parts of this class are just due to the fact that the book and instructor for the course were both lacking, because I have heard nothing but good things from the other courses, and am planning on taking a few more to get my GPA up to something competitive.

This has been quite the long post/rant, but if anyone has any specific questions on something I didn't touch, feel free to ask.
did you take the lab as well

Did anyone take the organic chem II lab? I am debating to register for the course but I do not see the curriculum or professor's name?

Members don't see this ad :)
This thread has been on fire for a long time.
Do you guys have a list of schools that accept these online credits?

Hey Atticus I'm at the midterm point right now and all I can say is Unit 1 and 2 are a GRIND. Honestly I feel this is a class that if you can push through in 6-8 weeks, do that. AK Lectures are a huge lifesaver in clearing information up, the guy who does them is now in medical school I think. The book sucks, I hate it, you just gotta accept that and push through it. I would actively read and take notes of the chapter ONCE. Don't get bogged down by too many little details, just follow the weekly objectives and study guides. Take notes on the lecture videos too as those things will come up on exams and quizzes. I've heard that a lot of the quiz questions, exam questions can be on the midterm and final. The pathway responses and case connections are not that hard. Let me know if you have any more questions, I'm still studying for the midterm so we'll see how that goes.

Organic chemistry is not necessary, I believe, to be successful. Physiology and Cell and Molecular have actually been more helpful for me. Honestly just take this class as a good challenge as the level of medical school will be up to this standard or maybe even harder, who knows.

How did you do on the midterm? How much is it on Unit 1 vs Unit 2. Heavy on one side or the other? So far Unit 1 sucks. I am really struggling. Did you memorize the amino acids? How cumulative is this course? If I get past the midterm can I forgot about Unit 1 and 2 and start from scratch?

Also what are AK lectures

How did you do on the midterm? How much is it on Unit 1 vs Unit 2. Heavy on one side or the other? So far Unit 1 sucks. I am really struggling. Did you memorize the amino acids? How cumulative is this course? If I get past the midterm can I forgot about Unit 1 and 2 and start from scratch?

Also what are AK lectures

I got a 46/50 on my midterm. I studied a lot for the midterm because I didn’t really study while I was doing the units. I studied for a week about 4-6 hours a day for it. I suggest you really try to understand unit 1 and unit 2 cuz unit 3 and 4 build off of those principles. Unit 3 & 4 are a breath a fresh air compared to 1 & 2. The midterm is a combination of both unit 1 and 2, but mine was probably more heavily unit 2. And keep in mind the final will only be unit 3 and 4. About 25-35 questions are EXACTLY OR VERY SIMILAR to the weekly quizzes and the end of unit tests. The other 15-25 are new questions but very similar to the weekly practice questions This course does not have us memorize amino acids, I think they used to because they’re some quizlets that have amino acids on them for UNE probably from years ago.

AK lectures is on YouTube and he’s a smart guy who explains biochemsitry I’m straightforward ways using a whiteboard and pictures. He’s ****ing amazing.

This thread has been on fire for a long time.
Do you guys have a list of schools that accept these online credits?

depend which schools you’re asking about...medical schools (MD or DO)? PA schools? Dental Schools? Chiropractor schools?

DO and Pod for me lol

Need a list

Unlike MD schools that have the MSAR and shows whether they accept online pre-reqs, DO schools don't have that organization. I have seen no such list in my time as a premed and if there is, it is in some other individual premeds computer folder who did the leg work themselves. You're going to have to make a list of schools you're interested in applying to and call them one-by-one and ask.

What I will say is that medical schools USUALLY want/require the labs done in person. You'll see a lot more PA students in these UNE online classes due to the fact that PA schools are more lenient given that many going to PA school are nontraditional, with careers and families. So, the fact that medical schools want/require labs in person usually means that you're taking the lectures in person too. I've seen for MD schools that they're a little bit more lenient with online biochemistry due to various factors (like me - who lives in a rural area, ready to apply, but the local CC doesn't offer biochem and there's no four year close to me) and many medical schools don't require a biochemistry lab.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Unlike MD schools that have the MSAR and shows whether they accept online pre-reqs, DO schools don't have that organization. I have seen no such list in my time as a premed and if there is, it is in some other individual premeds computer folder who did the leg work themselves. You're going to have to make a list of schools you're interested in applying to and call them one-by-one and ask.

What I will say is that medical schools USUALLY want/require the labs done in person. You'll see a lot more PA students in these UNE online classes due to the fact that PA schools are more lenient given that many going to PA school are nontraditional, with careers and families. So, the fact that medical schools want/require labs in person usually means that you're taking the lectures in person too. I've seen for MD schools that they're a little bit more lenient with online biochemistry due to various factors (like me - who lives in a rural area, ready to apply, but the local CC doesn't offer biochem and there's no four year close to me) and many medical schools don't require a biochemistry lab.
I guess I gotta make a phone call to all DO schools :)

Is it doable to finish the orgo 2 course in a month while having no other obligations. Also, any quick tips on how to get an A in this course?

Members don't see this ad :)
For anyone that needs to take microbiology...I highly recommend NOT taking it through UNE Online. The course is filled with hidden fees. Between the textbooks, the shipping, the lab paq, the webcam that they make you purchase, the whiteboard that you need to purchase through them, the fee to take exams because they need to be proctored by ProctorU, etc. it all comes out to be over $500 on top of the already $1500 registration. This is without a doubt the most expensive self-paced online class I have ever enrolled in. I also found that the websites were very difficult to navigate...the school definitely has some improvements to make with this course. Had I known this would be the case, I would have absolutely taken the class elsewhere.

I’m taking anatomy with dr Baez right now. There are no lectures and you have to read everything in the book. And the midterm and the final exam is 50% of your grade. Feel free to message me if you have more questions.
Any tips on the midterm?

Any advice on ORGO 2, im planning to start the course soon and supposdley it’s not open book anymore.

Hey guys I have emailed all 39 schools and got about 25 responses back. Except for 5 schools (two wouldnt accept, two just gave a link to their admissions page and one havent replied back after asking for a detail), 20 schools would accept online pre reqs. The answers became repetitive by all schools and I guess it is safe to say that most DOs accept online prereqs. Although some mentioned that you should take them in person to stay competitive --- they wont reject you for taking online pre reqs. But then from my opinion, this means they are forgiving per circumstances (military duty, overseas, COVID19 pandemic etc.) and they would take your application without an auto reject.
If anyone would like a list, I will compile it at the end of this week. If you want the list of 20 schools now, message me :)

Last edited:
Does anyone know if ROWANSOM accepts orgo II UNE online?

Does anyone know if ROWANSOM accepts orgo II UNE online?
Yes, they do!
Here are the following list of DO schools that accept online pre-reqs.
NYITCOM
KCU-COM
UNE COM
KYCOM
CUSOM
PNWU-COM
DMU
ICOM
LMU-DCOM
VCOM
RSOM
VCOM-Auburn
PCOM-Georgia
HSCTCOM
TUN
OSU-COM
TCOM
MUCOM
PCOM
LECOM
TUCA

Reactions: 3 users
Yes, they do!
Here are the following list of DO schools that accept online pre-reqs.
NYITCOM
KCU-COM
UNE COM
KYCOM
CUSOM
PNWU-COM
DMU
ICOM
LMU-DCOM
VCOM
RSOM
VCOM-Auburn
PCOM-Georgia
HSCTCOM
TUN
OSU-COM
TCOM
MUCOM
PCOM
LECOM
TUCA
thanks a bunch! u da real mvp

Anyone in biochem right now or want to comment on my experience in regards to yours? Have Dr. Nobile (something like that). I was wondering if you felt like the midterm questions were similar to the weekly quizzes and Unit exams? I thought I was screwed in this class, but I took the Unit 1 exam and it was pretty straight forward and a replica of the types of questions you might see on the weekly quizzes (did you feel that way?), think I got like a B or something and didn't even have everything down with the electron transport chain.

It seemed like a lot of memory recall/recognition. I am getting ready to take the Unit 2 exam so I guess I'll see how that goes. I don't need a high score on the midterm and final. It seems like Unit 2: glucose regulation, glycolysis, gluconeogeneis, glyogen synth/degradation, galactose metabolism all that is really a memorization game. What yall think?

In summary, was the midterm like the unit exam/weekly quizzes or was there some crazy out of the blue stuff in there? Please comment generally, I do not want anything too specific. Thanks

Anyone in biochem right now or want to comment on my experience in regards to yours? Have Dr. Nobile (something like that). I was wondering if you felt like the midterm questions were similar to the weekly quizzes and Unit exams? I thought I was screwed in this class, but I took the Unit 1 exam and it was pretty straight forward and a replica of the types of questions you might see on the weekly quizzes (did you feel that way?), think I got like a B or something and didn't even have everything down with the electron transport chain.

It seemed like a lot of memory recall/recognition. I am getting ready to take the Unit 2 exam so I guess I'll see how that goes. I don't need a high score on the midterm and final. It seems like Unit 2: glucose regulation, glycolysis, gluconeogeneis, glyogen synth/degradation, galactose metabolism all that is really a memorization game. What yall think?

In summary, was the midterm like the unit exam/weekly quizzes or was there some crazy out of the blue stuff in there? Please comment generally, I do not want anything too specific. Thanks

so I copied and pasted on of my earlier comments below to you because it all still stands, this class is straight forward and Unit 1 and 2 suck, especially since the textbook sucks majors balls, but overall I’m enjoying the medical application of everything:

I got a 46/50 on my midterm. I studied a lot for the midterm because I didn’t really study while I was doing the units. For the unit tests you can quizlet the answers so you get a 100% on the unit 2 test.

I studied for a week about 4-6 hours a day for the midterm. I suggest you really try to understand unit 1 and unit 2 cuz unit 3 and 4 build off of those principles. Unit 3 & 4 are a breath a fresh air compared to 1 & 2. The midterm is a combination of both unit 1 and 2, but mine was probably more heavily unit 2. And keep in mind the final will only be unit 3 and 4. About 25-35 questions are EXACTLY OR VERY SIMILAR to the weekly quizzes and the end of unit tests. The other 15-25 are new questions but very similar to the weekly practice questions This course does not have us memorize amino acids, I think they used to because they’re some quizlets that have amino acids on them for UNE probably from years ago.

So yes make sure you understand the weekly quizzes and unit tests. Sometimes the questions will be verbatim and sometimes they’ll change a word or two in the question. All of the new questions are very similar. Also, look at other people’s quizlets flash cards too. Rewatch the lecture videos 3-4 times with the study guide next to you. cuz there’s a lot of stuff in those that they Test on.

I knew about the camera and whiteboard but the rest would have been nice to know...thanks for passing this on. I started UNE Online Microbiology 2 weeks ago and yup, the final is closed everything. 29 chapters. I am 5 chapters in and it's a LOT.

Working2ward?- how did the final go for you? I am about half way through and totally overwhelmed with the idea of having to memorize 30 chapters....help.

I'm planning on taking this class in the Spring, is it a super tough one so far?
Oh it is absolutely brutal, lectures are horrid and the quizzes and exams are extremely detailed but the professor is helpful. There is over 1000 pages of reading for the 16 week period (I counted) and the class is quite hard. However I am scraping by and I hope to get in the A-B range (I have 3 weeks left). You can message me if you want to in a few weeks when I have completed the class, maybe I can give you tips on how I survived.

Taking Physics II right now with Ryan Dorland, anyone have any feedback on the Unit 2 exam? Is it all multiple choice like the quizzes / any tips about how to prepare?

Reactions: 1 users
Just sending out another plea for anyone who has VERY recently taken biochem/is currently in biochem but further ahead in it (it has apparently changed since last semester)

I also just finished micro with an A so happy to pass stuff along for that class.
How was the micro final? Ours is cumulative and closed book...is that how yours was? Thanks!

Taking Physics II right now with Ryan Dorland, anyone have any feedback on the Unit 2 exam? Is it all multiple choice like the quizzes / any tips about how to prepare?

Aside from the longer form Term Projects, the proctored testing was exclusively multiple choice like the quizzes. Advice is to review quizzes and assignment questions.

Hey everyone, I finished the majority of my Pre-PA prerequisites at UNE online, which includes chem 1,2 orgo 1,2, physics 1, biochem, microbio and stats. I saved all my resources for the courses, which includes quizzes, labs, hw's, exam prep, and other related resources. Send me a DM if you need any course resources!
How was the cumulative final for microbiology?

Hey all. Anyone taking/taken Physics II recently? I would like to get it done before July 2020. I am very concerned about the whiteboard testing thing. I would love to use scratch paper for my work.

Hey, would anyone that has taken Microbio and physics 2 mind if I messaged you with some questions?

I have taken the following courses via UNE (Online):

-Nutrition
-Chem 1010 with lab
-Anatomy with lab
-Physiology with lab

Let me know if you have any specific questions on these. In general, I would recommend taking chemistry and anatomy elsewhere (as others note, you are essentially teaching yourself from the textbook as anatomy did not include any lecture component and chem is just too difficult to grasp without more guidance from instructor) but would recommend Nutrition. I learned a lot in physiology as well, but it was really difficult (as can be expected).

Now deciding whether to take Microbiology via UNE or via MGH (Mass General).

If anyone has taken Orgo 2 and lab with UNE? How were the exams. Are the reading very important to getting an A in the course, or you just need to focus on the lecture slides and videos. The readings are very extensive and in the lecture objectives it doesnt really mention much about the readings. How long did it take you to complete the course

For Medical Biochemistry Chem 1005, below I have my thoughts on the latter half of the course. See my previous post for the first half of the course which I posted on this thread:

Just finished the final for the class and got a 45/50 on the final. Took it with Dr. Morris but it doesn't matter who you take it with because the lectures are all the same by the same teacher. A buddy of mine took it a year before with another teacher and I showed him my blackboard and he said everything was the same. I took the full 16 weeks to complete the course, but not due to the difficulty but just no desire to push through quickly. You could easily get through this course in 8-10 weeks, and if you were an overachiever you could bust this out in 5-6 weeks if you have no other/minimal obligations, but it will be mentally taxing.

Overall got an A in the class and I feel it wasn't easy but it also was not extremely difficult. Compared to Ochem and Physics (I did not take these two through UNE) this class was a walk in the park. Unit 3 and 4 build off of unit 1 and 2, moreso unit 2 as it works off of the pentose phosphate pathway, gluconeogenesis, glycolysis and other connections. Just like my Unit 1 and 2, I did not thoroughly study the units 3 and 4 as I went through them. Each unit requires a Case Connection which gives you four scenarios with biochemistry related to the unit and you have to pick two to answer in depth. Each unit also requires a "pathway response" where you pose a question to the class related to the unit readings, and also answer two other classmates questions. I got A's on all my assignments because I did thorough work, my lowest score on any of these was a 90%. I find you can get through a pathway response and case connection both in about 4 hours. The end of the unit tests are not bad because you can check your answer online, but the midterm and final which are worth 40% of the grade are proctored through proctor U.

Unit 1 and 2 as you'll see in my previous post are a grind, especially unit 1 because its a new class, new information, and you have no idea what's important and the textbook sucks camel d***s. The textbook covers wayyyy more crap than you need to know and its important TO STAY FOCUSED ON THE STUDY GUIDE AND LECTURE VIDEOS! Unit 3 and 4 are much more doable because it builds off of the first 2 units and you now know what to expect.

Now before where I said "TO STAY FOCUSED ON THE STUDY GUIDE AND LECTURE VIDEOS" is so crucial and here's why. I hated the textbook so much (and I read everything for unit 1 and 2) that I did not read A SINGLE CHAPTER for Unit 3 and 4 and yet I still got a 45/50 on the final and an A in the class. After I took the midterm, I realized that the lecture video with the study guide and AK Lectures covered everything I needed to know for the exams. Studying for the final, I popped the book open once to check a question I had about gluconeogensis from Unit 2, but that was it.

If you have any other questions about the course please feel free to comment or DM

If anyone has taken Orgo 2 and lab with UNE? How were the exams. Are the reading very important to getting an A in the course, or you just need to focus on the lecture slides and videos. The readings are very extensive and in the lecture objectives it doesnt really mention much about the readings. How long did it take you to complete the course

Hey there, I took Orgo 1 and 2 with UNE late in 2019 and thought I would give a review of my experience. Orgo 1 went very well for me, as the exams were fair and it was easy to do well as long as you did the practice problems and completed readings. However, Orgo 2 was a complete nightmare. They were going through a restructuring phase for the course when I took it and it almost screwed over my chances of passing the class (and consequently matriculating into medical school). Even with completing the readings and practice problems, there were always random questions on the quizzes and exams that were not addressed anywhere in the course material. There was simply no way to prepare for the material we were tested on. I was constantly reaching out to the instructors to address these errors and sometimes they would be receptive to feedback, but it always seemed like an uphill battle. For example, I ended up with a low 60 on the midterm initially and was in complete shock, because I was retaking this course and had to deal with the stress of barely even passing. There was no way a medical school was going to accept me if I retook this course and got a C. I met with the instructor of the course, Dr. Casey Grenier, and went through my whole exam with him. It turned out that the answer key was riddled with mistakes and of course there were random questions that we couldn't have prepared for at all. My grade instantly improved by 25 points, bumping my midterm to the high 80s. This theme carried over to the final as well, but to a lesser degree. I barely ended up with an A-, but this was only after I literally corrected mistakes on each of the weekly quizzes and on exams as well. If I hadn't been so neurotic about this class and hadn't made the effort to reach out and butt heads with the instructor, I probably would've ended up with a C or worse. I would highly advise against taking this course with UNE, because they simply don't care about students as long as they're getting their money. It is UNACCEPTABLE to be so disorganized and apathetic when a student's entire future can be reliant on doing well in this course. Please steer clear of UNE and associated courses, as the stress just isn't worth it. I would be more than happy to answer any other questions, so feel free to reach out.

Has anyone taken genetics? I'm hoping to take it this summer.

Hey there, I took Orgo 1 and 2 with UNE late in 2019 and thought I would give a review of my experience. Orgo 1 went very well for me, as the exams were fair and it was easy to do well as long as you did the practice problems and completed readings. However, Orgo 2 was a complete nightmare. They were going through a restructuring phase for the course when I took it and it almost screwed over my chances of passing the class (and consequently matriculating into medical school). Even with completing the readings and practice problems, there were always random questions on the quizzes and exams that were not addressed anywhere in the course material. There was simply no way to prepare for the material we were tested on. I was constantly reaching out to the instructors to address these errors and sometimes they would be receptive to feedback, but it always seemed like an uphill battle. For example, I ended up with a low 60 on the midterm initially and was in complete shock, because I was retaking this course and had to deal with the stress of barely even passing. There was no way a medical school was going to accept me if I retook this course and got a C. I met with the instructor of the course, Dr. Casey Grenier, and went through my whole exam with him. It turned out that the answer key was riddled with mistakes and of course there were random questions that we couldn't have prepared for at all. My grade instantly improved by 25 points, bumping my midterm to the high 80s. This theme carried over to the final as well, but to a lesser degree. I barely ended up with an A-, but this was only after I literally corrected mistakes on each of the weekly quizzes and on exams as well. If I hadn't been so neurotic about this class and hadn't made the effort to reach out and butt heads with the instructor, I probably would've ended up with a C or worse. I would highly advise against taking this course with UNE, because they simply don't care about students as long as they're getting their money. It is UNACCEPTABLE to be so disorganized and apathetic when a student's entire future can be reliant on doing well in this course. Please steer clear of UNE and associated courses, as the stress just isn't worth it. I would be more than happy to answer any other questions, so feel free to reach out.
Any advice on the discussion board questions, since some of them are worded very badly.

Any advice on the discussion board questions, since some of them are worded very badly.
I don’t think the discussion questions are graded super harshly, so just focus on answering all the questions that are asked and try to expand on it with some outside knowledge or tie it in with some course material. I would try to shoot for around 300-400 word responses and that should be sufficient. I felt like the discussion posts were more a formality to make sure you were posting something and responding to others’ comments. Please let me know if any other questions come up during the courses and good luck!

I don’t think the discussion questions are graded super harshly, so just focus on answering all the questions that are asked and try to expand on it with some outside knowledge or tie it in with some course material. I would try to shoot for around 300-400 word responses and that should be sufficient. I felt like the discussion posts were more a formality to make sure you were posting something and responding to others’ comments. Please let me know if any other questions come up during the courses and good luck!
Thanks so much, also one more thing, how would you recommend studying for the midterm? Is it anything like the quizzes (same questions)?

Thanks so much, also one more thing, how would you recommend studying for the midterm? Is it anything like the quizzes (same questions)?
During my course, the exams and quizzes were very similar in how they were written and difficulty. A couple of the same questions might come up but just make sure you’ve done your practice problems and understand concepts. I really can’t emphasize how important it is to do practice problems because they reinforce the material and help apply concepts. Best of luck on the midterm! I’m sure you’ll do wonderfully :)

Has anyone taken Microbiology (with lab)? I'd love some information, especially regarding the quality of lecture videos and instructor responsiveness.

Has anyone taken Microbiology (with lab)? I'd love some information, especially regarding the quality of lecture videos and instructor responsiveness.
I'm taking it without lab now, and I have to say its way more difficult than it should be. I would say 1/3 of the questions are really out of the blue, and they decided to make the final closed notebook too so that sucks.
In terms of the lectures, they're not incredible by any means. They basically reiterate what is on the slides, with the occasional valuable explanation or tidbit.
When studying 95% of all quiz, exam and unit questions are on the internet, and you can use your notes which is nice. The scary thing though is that you can become somewhat dependent on being able to double-check your answers, like me, and the for the final (which is 35% of your grade) is closed notes.
As far as instructor responsiveness I would say its good, but from my experience has not been helpful thus far.

Last edited:
I took this class the semester before I took patho. Its hard but not impossible to get an A. Agreed that the quiz q's are mostly online so just make sure you spend lots of time on the assignments and quizzes and labs bc itll help your grade when you end up with a B on the final (like me, I got an A overall). If you study the lectures closely you should do well enough on the midterm and final, but definitely give yourself time to prepare and really review the slides. Personally I liked the instructors for both patho and micro, both were responsive and nice. Neither of them choose the lectures for their courses so I think they do the best they can with what they have.

I have the new lab kit for gen chem 1011 L if anyone wants to buy it off me.

Hey everyone, just wanted to give a detailed review UNE's online Medical Biochemistry that I just completed. I have many thoughts so hope this is helpful. I ended up with an A in the class.
First, I thought this class was a death sentence based on the reviews. Please don't panic. I was extremely intimidated by it. I had not taken a chemistry class in years and orgo was a complete disaster for me so I thought I was screwed. There are 4 Units. Graded stuff--Each Unit has a discussion board, written assignment, and 30 question MC quiz that is not proctored. There are 2 proctored exams- Midterm (Unit 1 & 2) and Final (Unit 3 &4) , 50 MC questions each. I will outline how I got an A in this class, of course many different learning styles so might not be what works best for you.

At first I was watching each video while taking notes, trying to answer the weekly objectives, and following study guide.. and I was looking up things I didn't know or terms during the videos. Total waste of time and took forever. This class is not hard AT ALL IMO. You just need to be strategic. Take the study guide while you watch the videos and write down stuff on the study guide that she mentions in the videos that aren't on the guide. A 7 minute video should take you 20 minutes. Try to understand the things on the video and go back to something if you get lost. Then with the objectives look for things missing from the study guide and include that. For example, random health conditions she wants you to know might be on objectives but not study guide. Know those conditions/deficiency's and their symptoms. The weekly quizzes (not graded) are exactly the same format on the Unit quizzes (graded) and midterm and final. You can also use quizlet to find more practice question examples from UNE MC. I spent probably 2-4 hours studying A DAY during Unit 1 & 2, and got a B+ on midterm. On Unit 3& 4 I maybe spent 4 hours A WEEK on the material. I still got a B+ on final. I received 100's on every other graded thing (High A's for Unit Quizzes though). Make sure your case connection written assignment is perfect- those probably took me 5 hours for each assignment. Work hard to get 100's or near 100 on everything and you can relax for midterm and final.

The first Unit I was completely panicking. It was definitely the toughest to get through mentally. I thought I was screwed. It was tough as someone with no previous memory of orgo/chem and there were a lot of background things I didn't understand. I got hung up on trying to figure out all that background stuff. Don't do that. Basically, you need to watch the videos for the entire week through. Sometimes the material doesn't make any sense unless you get through the entire week or Unit to put it all together. I cannot emphasize this enough. Do NOT get hung up on trying to figure out all the background things. Unit 1 included a lot of random crap like protein structure, hemoglobin, etc, catabolism/anabolism, covalent modifications... it was all very confusing. Much more abstract and thought provoking/conceptualizing than the future units which are mostly straight pathways. You seriously won't be using much of Unit 1 at all so just get through it and try to understand the conceptual stuff at the end.

Unit 2, 3, 4 are so much better. It is a ton of pathways. I would say Unit 2 is the most important Unit to be confident in. That will help you a lot in 3 and 4, but again isn't required, just will help. The pathways are actually pretty easy. Yes there are like 15 of them usually with 5-10 enzymes per pathway which you have to know each enzyme's inhibitors and activators (usually 1-3 per enzyme), but just take it pathway by pathway. I honestly just wrote the pathways down on paper and their activators like 5 times and I had it memorized well enough and sometimes looked at pictures. I just reviewed that visually before exams and was fine. ***I cannot emphasize this enough with pathways*** Most of the time you will have no idea where the **** this NADH or random substrate is coming from, don't sweat it. Just know its there and don't think too hard about it. MEMORIZE AND PUT THE PIECES OF THE PUZZLE TOGETHER. It will click. Sooooo many of that pathways are taught completely separated in a confusing way where you have no idea where the hell this or that enzyme is coming from. Don't worry about it. Just accept it. Sometimes you learn later where it comes from and sometimes you don't (this class is poorly structured in the order it presents information.. for example it taught ETC first, then TCA cycle, then Glycolysis... completely ridiculous order).

Learn to find trends in questions they will ask based on the weekly quizzes and the Unit exams. There are no curveballs, the questions will be similar format/style on the midterm and final. This can help you pick out the information you need and not get stuck in the overwhelming load of information. Again this is multiple choice. This is very different from a written exam. **You really need to just recognize something, not have it completely memorized perfectly if that makes sense**. It's all about memory recall when you see a question. Make sure you know those inhibitors and activators along with enzyme steps. I personally found Unit 4 to be actually on the more difficult side, its protein synthesis/ pyrimidine purine stuff. Even though it's pathways it's just harder than the other Units. You can complete this class in less than 16 weeks. I barely spent anytime after the midterm and finished 2 weeks early. I was able to get through a week of material in a few hours. Again, at the end all I did was watch the videos once, wrote on the study guide, and looked at pathway pictures/write pathways some. The objectives eat a huge chunk of time away and not worth it IMO. Only worth it to see if there is random stuff not mentioned in video or study guide. BTW, we did not have to memorize all the amino acids. Just a few at the end of Unit 4.

Hope this helps someone sorry it's not very short! This is an extremely doable class to get an A in. Feel free to message me if you have any questions :)

Last edited:
Hi guys! I just finished taking a class from UNE. If anyone is trying to buy the required webcam + whiteboard, I'm trying to sell mine for super cheap. If i understood it correctly, everyone is required to buy this exact brand of whiteboard and camera. I only took one class so both items have only been used for one test, about 60 minutes - basically brand new. Please message me if you're interested! Good luck to those that are currently taking any class!