THE OFFICIAL UNE ONLINE COURSE THREAD

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Where do you get the practice exams?

Members don't see this ad.

I'm registering for BIO 1 now, and I see it's between Ginger Fisher and Sharon Rapach-Henry. Does anyone recommend one instructor over the other? If you had either of them, how was your experience?

Has anyone take Organic Chemistry II? Does anyone know if the class is curved? (And personal experiences would be helpful, too! Thank you!)

Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone have any experience with the genetics class?

Anyone? I'm starting the genetics course starting next week, so I would appreciate any comments and advice. Thank you.

My opinion so far is that the registration is very easy, but the course itself is very expensive. Tuition itself is $1300 (4 cr.)+ textbook and online access ($300 from their bookstore) + two separate programs (not sure about the price) that I need to purchase for the lab portion. I'm just hoping they won't charge me anything for online proctoring. I would have chosen UC Berkley extension if I wasn't so short on time. It's only 3 cr. ($800), but they charge for online proctor ($100 per exam). I need to get this course done before June.

Reactions: 1 user
Anyway final exam is done got A's in both lecture and lab. That final was easier than gen chem at a community college.... I studied hard, but all of the questions were in the book. I think there were 5 applied questions, but come on, RF value and HDI were two of them. Anyway chalk it up to a $1000+ Cake-walk and peace of mind like none other.
Has anyone taken UNE General Medical Chemistry 1 CHEM 1010? How hard was the final? Were the questions on the final similar to the quiz questions? What is the best way to prepare for the final exam? Thanks so much!
Just wanted to throw out another positive recommendation for Dallas Colleges Online. I'm in the middle of taking General Chemistry 1 and am really pleased with the format of the course, help available when needed, and the lab. The lab grade is factored in your course grade, and the lab kit is the same kit used from UNE chemistry courses. So far so good guys. I think they also have Chem 2, orgo 1 and 2 and maybe even physics 1 and 2 available online, but this is my first course through them. PM me if you have any questions.

Hey does that school offer Organic II lab?

Hello everyone,

Has anybody recently taken the CHEM 1010 Lab final, does it ask questions about the objectives, is the test composed of the quizzes? Please and thank you. I just finished the lecture portion so for those who would like some tips, hit me up I will be more than happy to help.

BIOCHEMISTRY:

So I did horrible on the midterm. I'm not sure where those questions were derived from? were they really derived from lecture? Anyone PM me some suggestions/recommendations of what to study for the Midterm Re-take & Final, please? I'm aiming for a C in this class now..was sitting at an A. -_-

BIOCHEMISTRY:

So I did horrible on the midterm. I'm not sure where those questions were derived from? were they really derived from lecture? Anyone PM me some suggestions/recommendations of what to study for the Midterm Re-take & Final, please? I'm aiming for a C in this class now..was sitting at an A. -_-

You're still in line for an A. Sharpen that edge, re-take the midterm, and remember that the course average will be curved (probably 5 or 6 points). STUDY LIKE YOU WOULD FOR AN A. Those questions are really pathway heavy. Know those pathways. Know the medical problems that are associated with the pathways. Make sure you know why all quiz/review question answers are the right answer (word association won't work for this course - be able to write sentence or two on why something is right.... or wrong, for that matter). Difficult to make yourself do that? Hire a tutor. If you can't afford a tutor, hit up Andrey http://www.aklectures.com/subject/biochemistry or Mafoud https://www.youtube.com/user/MoofUniversity/videos. If you need to, get a course extension. Make time to learn. Be accountable for that A.

When was your course start date? I know that some of the course content (e.g Organic chem) has recently been changed.

Has anyone taken the UNE Genetics Course (Biol 1040)? If so, can you tell me how it was (in other words, was it a reasonable course--possible to get an A if you put in a reasonable amount of work--responsive professor--etc)?

Anyone? I'm starting the genetics course starting next week, so I would appreciate any comments and advice. Thank you.

My opinion so far is that the registration is very easy, but the course itself is very expensive. Tuition itself is $1300 (4 cr.)+ textbook and online access ($300 from their bookstore) + two separate programs (not sure about the price) that I need to purchase for the lab portion. I'm just hoping they won't charge me anything for online proctoring. I would have chosen UC Berkley extension if I wasn't so short on time. It's only 3 cr. ($800), but they charge for online proctor ($100 per exam). I need to get this course done before June.

I know this was a while ago but I'm taking the chance as I am trying to get feedback on this course. I haven't registered yet, but am looking at it, and want to find out if it is reasonable and straightforward, etc.? Can you share your experience of the course?

I'm registering for BIO 1 now, and I see it's between Ginger Fisher and Sharon Rapach-Henry. Does anyone recommend one instructor over the other? If you had either of them, how was your experience?
If you haven't signed up ginger fisher is a teacher at my undergrad and she is awesome! She is tough but you will get your money worth from her!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad :)
Hello Everyone,

I have been reading this forum and I just had a few other questions that I didn't see in this thread.

Does anyone have any insight on the Genetics Course (BIOL: 1040) offered by UNE? How does the lab work online and is the cost for the materials required for the class expensive? Also, what is the degree of difficulty compared to taking this at a Community College in person? I also plan to take Medical Gen Chem II online at UNE (lecture only) any insight on that course would be great as well!

I am just trying to figure out which way to go as I work full time. I'm trying to see if taking Genetics and Gen Chem II online would be better than taking one online and one at a Community College. Any help would be appreciated! Thanks!
I am taking genetics at UNE and I would not recommend it if you're working full time. it is very difficult and involved

I know this was a while ago but I'm taking the chance as I am trying to get feedback on this course. I haven't registered yet, but am looking at it, and want to find out if it is reasonable and straightforward, etc.? Can you share your experience of the course?
I am taking it. it is very difficult. haven't started the lab so I'm not sure about that

could you also share experience with me? I am taking the course and having a hard time.

Can anyone post some info on what the midterm (exam 2) for biochemistry was like? How much of the material from unit 1 is on it?

I am taking genetics at UNE and I would not recommend it if you're working full time. it is very difficult and involved
That's a bummer to hear. What do you think has been the issue with the course?

That's a bummer to hear. What do you think has been the issue with the course?
The questions on the chapter exams are OK but the unit exams (4 chapters total) are way too detail specific with no benefit. For example, there was a question about one sentence that was only mentioned under the caption of a photo (no where else in the chapters). The question didn't help me grasp the bigger picture nor was it pertinent to help students better understand the concepts in the chapter. Also I spend a long time outlining the chapter and (if I have time) studying the connect. I go into midterms feeling VERY confident and have never scored over an 83. I have never worked this hard in a course for such a mediocre outcome. I wanted to do well in the beginning now I just want to do well enough so if I bomb the final I'll be OK.

Last edited:
The questions on the chapter exams are OK but the unit exams (4 chapters total) are way too detail specific with no benefit. For example, there was a question about one sentence that was only mentioned under the caption of a photo (no where else in the chapters). The question didn't help me grasp the bigger picture nor was it pertinent to help students better understand the concepts in the chapter. Also I spend a long time outlining the chapter and (if I have time) studying the connect. I go into midterms feeling VERY confident and have never scored over an 83. I have never worked this hard in a course for such a mediocre outcome. I wanted to do well in the beginning now I just want to do well enough so if I bomb the final I'll be OK.

Oh my goodness. I was really hoping to hear this was a reasonable course. I have had so much difficulty finding a course that doesn't have TERRIBLE reviews and that can be taken at your own pace. Do you think that you would be doing better if you were not working full time, or is it flat out impossible? Is the professor responsive? Does the homework help? Are the case studies reasonable? I hear the exams are open book/open notes. I don't know---I just have not found any good options that will work with my schedule. The other course I was considering was Genetics with UCB Extension, but those reviews are horrible, as well. You are the first person who has written about this course specifically and I am extremely grateful. Any tips that might help make this course manageable would be great, or any courses that you or anyone has heard of that are self-paced, online courses, with good reviews, would be appreciated as well. Thank you so much for your feedback. There have to be others who have taken this course, but interestingly enough you are the only one that has written anything specific to it (that I can find). Again, thank you!

Oh my goodness. I was really hoping to hear this was a reasonable course. I have had so much difficulty finding a course that doesn't have TERRIBLE reviews and that can be taken at your own pace. Do you think that you would be doing better if you were not working full time, or is it flat out impossible? Is the professor responsive? Does the homework help? Are the case studies reasonable? I hear the exams are open book/open notes. I don't know---I just have not found any good options that will work with my schedule. The other course I was considering was Genetics with UCB Extension, but those reviews are horrible, as well. You are the first person who has written about this course specifically and I am extremely grateful. Any tips that might help make this course manageable would be great, or any courses that you or anyone has heard of that are self-paced, online courses, with good reviews, would be appreciated as well. Thank you so much for your feedback. There have to be others who have taken this course, but interestingly enough you are the only one that has written anything specific to it (that I can find). Again, thank you!
If I wasn't working full time I could handle the course. I just don't have time to do two chapters a week. The beginning chapters are easy because they're review but when it's detailed I started spending about 2-3 hours a day at least and I am still not getting two chapters done a week. Also I have not started the lab portion yet. The lectures don't help with the material so I stopped watching them. I read the book and make extensive outlines then study using connect. Most of the MCh Qs are straight from the textbook generated Qs. She makes up the matching herself. The teacher is also very helpful and responsive but sometimes it's hard to know the right questions to ask if you don't realize you misunderstand a concept until after you got X amt of questions wrong on the midterm. The class difficulty isn't because of the teacher it is because of the random questions and the extensive time requirements. Genetics/Bio does not come to me as easily as chem/math/etc so I expected To have to spend a lot of time with it but not this much time. Sorry this is stream of consciousness I am at my lunch break rn and don't have time to edit/organize my thoughts.

If I wasn't working full time I could handle the course. I just don't have time to do two chapters a week. The beginning chapters are easy because they're review but when it's detailed I started spending about 2-3 hours a day at least and I am still not getting two chapters done a week. Also I have not started the lab portion yet. The lectures don't help with the material so I stopped watching them. I read the book and make extensive outlines then study using connect. Most of the MCh Qs are straight from the textbook generated Qs. She makes up the matching herself. The teacher is also very helpful and responsive but sometimes it's hard to know the right questions to ask if you don't realize you misunderstand a concept until after you got X amt of questions wrong on the midterm. The class difficulty isn't because of the teacher it is because of the random questions and the extensive time requirements. Genetics/Bio does not come to me as easily as chem/math/etc so I expected To have to spend a lot of time with it but not this much time. Sorry this is stream of consciousness I am at my lunch break rn and don't have time to edit/organize my thoughts.

Thank you sooooooo much for your response. This is such a difficult decision to make. I have been searching for good options for some time now and it seems that there are no great Genetics options online. It seems that many people say they are getting solid As when they go into the final and then barely scrape by with a C for a final grade. Or, they expected to be getting an A or doing well (like you) and put in the effort and are having a difficult time. I am a hard-working student and that makes me very nervous. I also really like the interaction with the professor and taking in-person courses, but I have no good options in my area.

Did you find any other good options when you were analyzing which course to take? The course I need to take must be upper division (which also limits options). I have found that the courses I have taken at the lower division level (at a JC) have been much more rigorous than the upper level division courses I have taken and wish that was an option as I have seen some good reviews on some JC/Community College courses. But that is not an option.

Can you tell me if, during exams, you can go back to answers, or whether once you answer a question, you cannot see that question again?

Again, I really appreciate your help. I am so sorry about your experience with the course. And I am extremely appreciative of your feedback and chiming in!

Thank you sooooooo much for your response. This is such a difficult decision to make. I have been searching for good options for some time now and it seems that there are no great Genetics options online. It seems that many people say they are getting solid As when they go into the final and then barely scrape by with a C for a final grade. Or, they expected to be getting an A or doing well (like you) and put in the effort and are having a difficult time. I am a hard-working student and that makes me very nervous. I also really like the interaction with the professor and taking in-person courses, but I have no good options in my area.

Did you find any other good options when you were analyzing which course to take? The course I need to take must be upper division (which also limits options). I have found that the courses I have taken at the lower division level (at a JC) have been much more rigorous than the upper level division courses I have taken and wish that was an option as I have seen some good reviews on some JC/Community College courses. But that is not an option.

Can you tell me if, during exams, you can go back to answers, or whether once you answer a question, you cannot see that question again?

Again, I really appreciate your help. I am so sorry about your experience with the course. And I am extremely appreciative of your feedback and chiming in!
Not a problem! I am happy to give the feedback and help out someone else. I haven't found any other options because I didn't look very hard before signing up for this course... I took ochem through here and it was a lot easier/manageable. I worked full time, went out most weekends/went on vacations and babysat some nights when I took the OChem here. I had to work obviously but not terribly hard in comparison and I think got a B+ without curve. I'm like you when it comes to teacher interaction but there are some things I can just figure out/that just magically click after X hours or after reading a good study guide. I am fortunate where chemistry/math/most sciences are like this.. I can look at a paper for X hours and all of a sudden it goes from making no sense to complete sense. Kind of odd.. Anyway, This is not one of those "clicking" concepts for me. I know you can buy the test bank for this book but she only pulls like 50-60% of the info from it (maybe less) so you can't pass with that alone. I don't even think it's worth the purchase/viruses you'll get from trying to find a good test bank. The questions the professor makes up are quite difficult and require and require thorough understanding and application of concepts. Some of the questions (exp matching) can fit 2 answers are true but one fits slightly better....
So, back to one of your questions, for the chapter exams (worth 20 points) you can take them three times and see what you got wrong for each try (the matching you can only see the number of points you got right not the matches that are correct/incorrect). So those you'll be fine. The unit exams (comprehensive exam of 4 chapters: worth 80 points, lowest exam is dropped) you can only take once and you do NOT have enough time to look up every answer so you need to be very familiar with the topics.....
All of the tests are open note/book/computer. (Besides the online video proctered final exam-which was free for me when I took Ochem)
But BEWARE: a good amt of the quizlet answers you'll find for the questions are wrong(some are correct... But there's no way of knowing which is which). PDF or word documents are more reliable if you can find them/if you need to look it up(but it's still a toss up). Obviously it's best to know the answer but if you're really stuck don't always blindly trust quizlet. I know you wouldn't but I thought I'd ask... Does anyone have any old study guides or anything they could send me to help? I am very overwhelmed by this course right now.

Shoot I misread your question. Yes you can go back to check questions. There's a review answers thing on the exam with the numbers of the questions listed. You click on the number and it takes you to that question

For UNE courses, I have to pay the tuition 1 time payment right? like I can't pay partially and pay the rest later?

Shoot I misread your question. Yes you can go back to check questions. There's a review answers thing on the exam with the numbers of the questions listed. You click on the number and it takes you to that question

Oh my goodness thank you SOOOO much for all of this. I had a teacher who actually gave us the test bank to study from. The worst part was that when we would check with her on certain answers they would be WRONG in the answer key (and she would use THOSE on the exam as she did not want to have to change the exam--even though she agreed they were wrong). That was really frustrating--I sure hope the Genetics course isn't like that--sounds like you don't know since you don't get to see what you got right or wrong from your quizzes/exams.

Do you ever have short answer/essay questions?

I would LOVE to hear how it turns out--how the labs go, how the final goes, how the case studies go (whether it is difficult to get a good grade or not)--a 94% seems pretty high for the cutoff from an A--I don't plan on taking the course for a few months or more (and am still trying to find a better alternative).

I have never taken a UNE course and really wish I didn't need to take it online. But it is what it is.

I wish I had something for the course to help you--hopefully someone else will chime in. There have to be more people who have taken the course. You are the ONLY person I have found that has actually chimed in (and I have been looking). It would be great to have a little more feedback.

Again, thank you! And I really hope you do well on your work. It sounds like you put in a lot of effort!!! :)

You're still in line for an A. Sharpen that edge, re-take the midterm, and remember that the course average will be curved (probably 5 or 6 points). STUDY LIKE YOU WOULD FOR AN A. Those questions are really pathway heavy. Know those pathways. Know the medical problems that are associated with the pathways. Make sure you know why all quiz/review question answers are the right answer (word association won't work for this course - be able to write sentence or two on why something is right.... or wrong, for that matter). Difficult to make yourself do that? Hire a tutor. If you can't afford a tutor, hit up Andrey http://www.aklectures.com/subject/biochemistry or Mafoud https://www.youtube.com/user/MoofUniversity/videos. If you need to, get a course extension. Make time to learn. Be accountable for that A.

When was your course start date? I know that some of the course content (e.g Organic chem) has recently been changed.
I started in October. I already extended the course until April 1. I have to do the midterm re-take and the final the last week in March. We will see. I might retake biochem via in class lecture if this goes poorly. I never learn well via online.

Does anyone know if DO schools accept University of Toronto online biochem course?

Hi all! Im on the unecom waitlist for this year's class and im thinking of taking my bchm prereq through unecom. When is the latest I can begin the course in order to finish with a reasonable grade (A/B) prior to matriculation this year? Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

I saw some posts suggesting that UNE changed their ochem class. What has been changed?

I saw some posts suggesting that UNE changed their ochem class. What has been changed?

They restructured the grading scheme, so that end of chapter quizzes are now worth 25% of the grade, a newly added proctored midterm worth 30%, and the final is 45%. I took it last year when the final was 70%. Its also taught by a different professor (Dr. Klinkerch instead of Dr. Manyan). I can't confirm this, but I am fairly sure that they have changed the content on the end of chapter quizzes. If anyone is currently enrolled, I can cross reference with my old notes and see.

Do you know if any UNE profs would write a recommendation letter for medical school if needed?

Has anyone made any notes or study guides they are willing to share for org02?
Just to be clear...study guides, that's all I'm looking for. Don't want this post to be misread...

I have a few questions. Has anyone taken the orgo midterm? Are there practice tests for orgo? Would Dr. Manyan give a LOR?

After seeing the syllabus and confirming the entire book (i'm assuming) is covered, does anyone know of an online genetics course elsewhere? I've heard that genetics through UC Berkeley is notoriously a GPA killer.

For those of you who have taken UNE Biochemistry, were you provided with a grade breakdown for the class (i.e. the percentage of students who received A's, B's, etc.)? Thanks for any feedback!

Hello, can someone tell me about the General Chem one at UNE. Just class no lab. It's not that bad is it ???

Do you guys know if these courses are accepted by allopathic med schools? I intend on applying to both MD and DO schools this coming cycle.

Do you guys know if these courses are accepted by allopathic med schools? I intend on applying to both MD and DO schools this coming cycle.

It depends which school. The MSAR specifies whether or not a school accepts online or not. There is "accepts," "does not accept," and "accepts on case by case basis." Of the case by case basis, UNE is pretty much universally accepted (to my knowledge). Which particular schools are you looking at?

It depends which school. The MSAR specifies whether or not a school accepts online or not. There is "accepts," "does not accept," and "accepts on case by case basis." Of the case by case basis, UNE is pretty much universally accepted (to my knowledge). Which particular schools are you looking at?

I am looking at allopathic and osteopathic schools on the east coast.

I have to say, their courses are difficult. The online course stigma is ridiculous these days. Nowadays, people can miss class and catch the podcasts a few hours later, then go on blackboard/canvas and do the assignments.
But then again, alot of their coursework is just poorly put together. Bio has so many holes in the tests that are not in the material it's ridiculous. She makes up for it with a curve, but a curve should not be an excuse for a poorly structured course.
Who took the physics course? I did. Well, it was so bad that they discontinued it.
It takes supplemental learning material like Khans or Coursesaver just to actually learn the stuff. All we are paying for is convenience.
Sorry about the rant, it escalated quickly...

UNE really should be a last resort...they are not generous graders and the course quality is very low and tuition is on the high end relative to most programs and its frowned upon by most MD and some DO. Its the "well I have no other option, really" option
Ok, so it's not just me...

I am looking at allopathic and osteopathic schools on the east coast.

Hi there!

EVMS will not take online coursework, and neither will NYIT. Surprisingly, Texas schools will accept online classes.

I took UNE Orgo 1 before applying to med school. I ended up with an A in this class. This is literally like the only class that I have to bust my ass in order to gain my A. The professor and his online lecture are virtually useless. I virtually self taught myself the materials.

I'm taking Orgo II right now at a brick and mortar school in order to matriculate to medical school. This class is a breeze in comparison to the UNE class.

I was looking over the syllabus between ochem 1 and 2 at my CC and compared it to UNE's content. UNE ochem 1 is essentially TWO semesters of ochem smashed into one semester. UNE ochem 2 is spectroscopy + biochemistry. I think if you can get through UNE ochem 1, ochem 2 will be a breeze.

It took me about 2.5 months to finish UNE ochem 2. Relatively straightforward but the audio recordings for the modules are incredibly monotonous. I printed out the PowerPoints, took notes while listening to the audio recordings, and did the homework. The hard(er) part of ochem 2 is the first part dealing with spectroscopy. The second part of class is the more interesting biochem. I definitely did NOT do all the homework problems for the second part of class. I worked through the in-chapter questions and I felt it was adequate. Homework and lab quizzes are pretty straightforward for the most part, though some questions required Dr. Google. You download a software to complete the labs. The online lab saved me so much time than had I done this on campus face-to-face. Let's face it: no one ever knows what the heck is going on in lab, except one or two people. Then the information slowly diffuses out and then people start clamoring. UNE's ochem 2 lab is set up so you pretty much know what to click. Pay attention to how long it takes your reaction to go to completion. I missed a few questions on the lab quizzes because of this.

Example: "How long did it take for your reactants to completely turn into product?"
A) 1 minute
B) 2 minutes
C) 3 minutes
D) 4 minutes

Sometimes you look away and the timer in the lab changes, which makes your math a little off. Ugh. Minor frustration though.

The mid-term and final are proctored. I was unaware of how stringent it was. You have to submit a photo ID, then you hold up a mirror to your webcam, and then you get to spin around your room to give ProctorU a nice 360 view of where you are. But other than that, the proctor mutes their end and you can mumble and talk to yourself all you want.

This class was a last resort for me. I work full time and I was more than willing to take ochem II at night. Unfortunately, of the four local colleges and universities near me, it would seem that no instructor would want to teach this class at night. I don't blame them. If you can take this class on campus anywhere, I'd say do that. UNE is super expensive. Plus, if you take a class on campus, it's just easier to get to know your instructor, seek help, and even ask for a recommendation letter. I definitely did not feel I developed a strong enough relationship with Dr. Rowe to ask for a rec letter. This class was really get-in-get-out-move-on.

Hope that helps anyone who's thinking about UNE's ochem 2 class!

I'm currently taking the UNE biochem course and I'm wondering how the second exam compares to the first?

I'm currently taking the UNE biochem course and I'm wondering how the second exam compares to the first?

hows the course so far? Im gonna sign up for the class upcoming week and I'm pretty nervous. I'm currently retaking ochem second semester + studying for MCAT. yikes

I don't know where everybody here went to undergrad, but I thought this class was incredibly easy -- including the Unit 2 exam. I read all the horror stories and ended up studying 10x more than I needed to for Unit 2, scored a 97 then realized how much of a joke it was and finished Units 3 and 4 in 3 days. I watched all the unit lectures all at once, read over all the powerpoints, memorized basic details about important pathways, then took all the module tests and unit exam on the same day. Had I known how easy it was from the beginning, I would have finished this class with an A in 1 week. Maybe they changed the course? The book was a complete waste of money, never opened it except to read an interesting case study for my own curiosity.