THE OFFICIAL UNE ONLINE COURSE THREAD

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Yeah they changed it at the beginning of June of this year. Instead of one 70% final, there is one midterm (50 MCQ's) and one non-cumulative final (65 MCQ's) each worth 35%.

I got an A in the class with the new format, it is very doable.

Do you have any study tips? Were the midterm and final similar to quizzes or more like the practice questions? Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

This is super helpful - also a relief to know the final is curved! Im taking it next week. Do you know how/what she curved against? Since we all mostly get done at different times, Im suprised she curved it by that much; perhaps she wants students to get an A?
I believe she wants students to get an A. Good luck on your test and I do not know what she based the curve off. I think I bugged her enough that she gave me an A because she realized I was trying and wanted to understand the material.

Does anyone have any information on UNE's online Medical Physiology course?
How difficult was it and how long did it take you to finish? Any input is appreciated.

Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone else feel like the UNECOM Biochemistry class is a huge information dump? I just can't simply retain all the specifics I've been learning in this class. Anyone else have any issues with this? What did you do to remember all the enzymes and pathways and which enzymes were related to which pathways, etc...

Does anyone else feel like the UNECOM Biochemistry class is a huge information dump? I just can't simply retain all the specifics I've been learning in this class. Anyone else have any issues with this? What did you do to remember all the enzymes and pathways and which enzymes were related to which pathways, etc...

It is a lot. However, not impossible. Her explanations aren't so great. I've been having a lot of luck supplementing with AK Lectures and Moof University from Youtube. Just find where the UNE stuff crosses over with the Youtube lectures (which are explained better). All the info is really hard to retain - I know I've had to adapt and manipulate past learning/studying techniques for this course. Jus think, its really just a slice of the materials and level of details we'll have to recall in medical school.

I started Dec 15th, and just took Unit 3 exam. Still have an A. I'd recommend taking a blank piece of paper and then drain out all the things you should know (e.g. TCA cycle reactants, enzymes, input, Cofactors, output, enzymes, product, inhibition, stimulation) for every step. Straight up memorize it. Back in the day, we learned A, B, C, D, E, F, G.... and here I'm learning G6P, F6P, F1,6bisP... and so on and so forth. Also try to teach it to someone else. you'll find the gaps in your knowledge right away. Then go study those gaps.

Reactions: 1 user
I just completed the UNE organic chem 2 lecture with an A, but I'm worried about what the lab final is going to be like? can anyone give any advice

I had a 93.4 final average and she gave me a A, which was listed as a 94. I'm not sure if there was a curve or not though

chem 1010, not much help from the resources available. get a tutor at the first sign of trouble... my nightmare is not over yet as I still have the lecture and lab finals. I think I have lost half an inch of enamel from my teeth due to grinding them in stress. Answers from instructor are not exhaustive by any means... One way or the other glad it is almost over...

Last edited:
For anyone who took the General Chemistry 2 Lab, I am willing to venmo (application used to transfer money) a fair amount of $$ for the lab manual and CD. Please send me a message if interested.

Wanted to update, just finished Med Bio 2. I have now taken Bio 1, 2, and Gen Chem 1 through UNE. Both the Biology classes by Dr. Fisher were easy as far as getting an A. She did a great deal more instructing on her lessons than Dr. Rowe in Chemistry (who did little to none). I finished Bio 2 in 4 weeks and I work and have kids. It was not a big time commitment. I would take it again if I had it to do over. Now considering starting Biochem... that one has me a bit nervous from the reviews, but so far so good.

Wanted to update, just finished Med Bio 2. I have now taken Bio 1, 2, and Gen Chem 1 through UNE. Both the Biology classes by Dr. Fisher were easy as far as getting an A. She did a great deal more instructing on her lessons than Dr. Rowe in Chemistry (who did little to none). I finished Bio 2 in 4 weeks and I work and have kids. It was not a big time commitment. I would take it again if I had it to do over. Now considering starting Biochem... that one has me a bit nervous from the reviews, but so far so good.

I'm signed up for Dr. Fisher's Biol. 2 class. It seems that they have changed things a bit (addition of discussion posts, distribution of weighted grades), but I think it would actually benefit the students. Her finals for Biol. 1 wasn't too bad, kinda wished she would've curved her final though.

Members don't see this ad :)
She had the 5 required discussion boards during my cycle. She did not appear to look at them very closely if at all... that is all I will say about that. The final was fair and there was some level of curve to the final grade. I agree the grade distribution helps the students and makes the final worth 10% less than her Bio 1 class (Bio 2 final worth 40%). I felt all quizzes, exams had all fair questions, with the exception to her labs. Sometimes she would come out of left field with lab questions that had no relationship to the lab itself, but usually you could find the answer somewhere in the text or online research of the topics. Rely on the final exam review. If the topic was not on the review, it was not on the test. That eliminates some of the more detailed topics.

Can anyone who has taken the Gen Chem 1 or 2 labs tell me if any of the minute questions like "how long did this experiment take" or "which was not an objective of this experiment" type of questions appear on the final? Thanks

I know this is the UNE thread but I just wanted to say I just completed Physics II through U Missouri. It is self-paced. I thought I'd throw that out there for those of you looking for a Physics II. There were a lot of city/state schools I was looking into but they were not self-paced and I had already had some stuff planned in between. Anyway, I would say it's OKAY for those of you wanting to take it.

I took UNE Orgo 1 before applying to med school. I ended up with an A in this class. This is literally like the only class that I have to bust my ass in order to gain my A. The professor and his online lecture are virtually useless. I virtually self taught myself the materials.

I'm taking Orgo II right now at a brick and mortar school in order to matriculate to medical school. This class is a breeze in comparison to the UNE class.

A little clue on how to ace the Orgo I final. FYI, there was a 7% curve giving me a 102% for my final exam.

The practice exam is generated by 300-400 questions in the online system. Your test questions will be based on these types of questions. Therefore, I recommend taking 2-3 practice exams and then reviewing the questions for content. It's very similar to preparing for the MCAT, except that it's on a smaller scale.

Also learn how to use the index on the back of the book to double check on formulas, concepts, and synthesis rules.

I wonder if UNE biochem course would replace my biochem grade. I took this one course called "Elementary Biochemistry" 4 quarter unit.

And there is also one year General Biochemistry courses. I took all of those, Elementary biochemistry and General biochemistry.

On aacomas, do I have the option to choose if this UNE biochem course is taken to replace Elementary Biochemistry course, not the General biochemistry course? I have the money for the course now, but I'm just afraid that I might be wasting money for the wrong thing lol

Just wanted to throw out another positive recommendation for Dallas Colleges Online. I'm in the middle of taking General Chemistry 1 and am really pleased with the format of the course, help available when needed, and the lab. The lab grade is factored in your course grade, and the lab kit is the same kit used from UNE chemistry courses. So far so good guys. I think they also have Chem 2, orgo 1 and 2 and maybe even physics 1 and 2 available online, but this is my first course through them. PM me if you have any questions.

Just wanted to throw out another positive recommendation for Dallas Colleges Online. I'm in the middle of taking General Chemistry 1 and am really pleased with the format of the course, help available when needed, and the lab. The lab grade is factored in your course grade, and the lab kit is the same kit used from UNE chemistry courses. So far so good guys. I think they also have Chem 2, orgo 1 and 2 and maybe even physics 1 and 2 available online, but this is my first course through them. PM me if you have any questions.

I'll second Dallas Colleges Online. About 60% cheaper than UNE, and the courses are great. Can confirm they offer Orgo I, Orgo II, Microbiology, Physics I, and Physics II. I have experience with Physics II and Orgo II.

I'll second Dallas Colleges Online. About 60% cheaper than UNE, and the courses are great. Can confirm they offer Orgo I, Orgo II, Microbiology, Physics I, and Physics II. I have experience with Physics II and Orgo II.

They didn't clear me for some reason. But I do agree that this is a great way to retake courses for some people. I thought their price was just as much as UNE for other state people but I guess I was wrong.

I worry a little about having so many transcripts. I have 6 schools already, but I would love to try Dallas Online... Whats a 7th right?

They didn't clear me for some reason. But I do agree that this is a great way to retake courses for some people. I thought their price was just as much as UNE for other state people but I guess I was wrong.
Yeah I'm taking this course out-of-state and the price is comparable to a university cost at home, but still hundreds cheaper than UNE, actual help from instructors, etc.

What did you think about these courses? How did orgo 2 go?

I worry a little about having so many transcripts. I have 6 schools already, but I would love to try Dallas Online... Whats a 7th right?

I don't even want to think about how many transcripts I will have...

I'll have about 14 transcripts from all my retakes. :rolleyes: Not to worry!

Reactions: 1 users
For those who've taken BIO I & II through UNE, is it possible to complete the homework with a digital rental book from amazon?

ETA: The answer is on the website, lol. used/amazon books are fine for bio and chem

Last edited:
I know this is the UNE thread but I just wanted to say I just completed Physics II through U Missouri. It is self-paced. I thought I'd throw that out there for those of you looking for a Physics II. There were a lot of city/state schools I was looking into but they were not self-paced and I had already had some stuff planned in between. Anyway, I would say it's OKAY for those of you wanting to take it.

What about the lab portion?

Hello, for someone who has taken UNE Medical Biochemistry, would you say you needed to buy the textbook? Thanks!

Hello, for someone who has taken UNE Medical Biochemistry, would you say you needed to buy the textbook? Thanks!

I didn't open my textbook that much. I really just liked to see the pictures and drawn out pathways and such, and to be honest, there's a lot of better things available on the web.

I don't see any Chem 2 courses anywhere. I'd love to take Chem 2 elsewhere besides UNE due to expenses.

Has anyone taken UNE's Pathophysiology Course? It sounds really interesting, but I have heard it is difficult. Any input would be appreciated :)

I didn't open my textbook that much. I really just liked to see the pictures and drawn out pathways and such, and to be honest, there's a lot of better things available on the web.

Thanks for your insight, Riles!

How quickly can you complete the biochem course? Can you do it w/in 4weeks if you have taken biochem before and start pre-studying a couple months before?

(May have a senseless pre-req issue if I end up wanting to go to a specific program)

According to the syllabus, the recommended study ratio is 9 hours outside of the prerecorded lectures a week. I personally wouldn't try to cram it into 4 weeks, but if you made it your life you probably could. Depends on if that program wants you to finish the course or get a good grade.

For the prestudying, if you go that route, check out moofuniversity videos on youtube. I have found them really helpful.
They just aren't accepting my quarter of biochem (they want a semester) even though I learned everything they want and will have biochem during med school. I won't take the class until I'm accepred and decide to go there to go there. Just want a C

Thanks for the suggestion/resource!

How many classes do people here (who work full-time) take at the same time?

I work about 30 hours a week, and I'm not exactly sure how demanding/rigorous the UNE courses are. I was thinking of taking General Biology I, General Chemistry I, and Physics I at the same time. I would like to aim for A's. Thoughts?

Last edited:
Can anyone shed light on how long it takes to see your final grade posted after you take the final?

Is this in regards to Pathophysiology?? I meant difficulty wise - How was it? Would I be better off taking something else for a do-able A/A-?

This was not in regards to Pathophysiology. I am also interested in taking this course, and would love feedback from anyone who has taken it before.

So it appears I may have the opportunity to take general chemistry 2 through UNE over the summer. There are 2 sections with either Rowe or McMillin. Is there any real difference between taking it with one instructor over the other?

I taking currently half way done the class and I can say that the course is what you get out of it. You have to be very self motivated. I do believe that the lectures forced me to cover the material and follow the powerpoint slides and I was able to Ace all the quizzes end of the week with proper knowledge of the slide show. If I found myself to not fully understand a concept, I was able to Youtube it and found the corresponding subject matter video tutorial within seconds which was really beneficial. There was no tricks. With that being said,, but I wanted to post this to give an initial impression of the course. I do think its worth it!

How quickly can you complete the biochem course? Can you do it w/in 4weeks if you have taken biochem before and start pre-studying a couple months before?

(May have a senseless pre-req issue if I end up wanting to go to a specific program)

I just finished the Medical Biochem course yesterday. Due to unforeseen circumstances (read: procrastination), I only had 5 weeks to finish my course. It took me about 6-8 hours of studying a day for the first couple weeks, and about 8-12 hours of studying a day for the remaining 3 weeks. Although I haven't taken biochem before- you may have a different experience- but this course was brutal to complete in such little time. Although I earned only a B+ (only .75 shy of an A-), at times, I wanted to rip my hair out from the stress of studying for this class.

For anyone else reading this, I HIGHLY recommend that you don't procrastinate. This course is very detail-intensive and brutal. You need a lot of time to study and prepare for the exams, and <5 weeks is just not enough time.

I just finished the Medical Biochem course yesterday. Due to unforeseen circumstances (read: procrastination), I only had 5 weeks to finish my course. It took me about 6-8 hours of studying a day for the first couple weeks, and about 8-12 hours of studying a day for the remaining 3 weeks. Although I haven't taken biochem before- you may have a different experience- but this course was brutal to complete in such little time. Although I earned only a B+ (only .75 shy of an A-), at times, I wanted to rip my hair out from the stress of studying for this class.

For anyone else reading this, I HIGHLY recommend that you don't procrastinate. This course is very detail-intensive and brutal. You need a lot of time to study and prepare for the exams, and <5 weeks is just not enough time.

The amount of hours I hear about this course seems so over the top. Not to say it isn't that difficult, just that I don't think it should be for only 4 credits. You're talking about ~300 hours over 5 weeks to finish the class with a B+ which just seems insane. Even the traditional "3 hours of studying per week per credit hour" -- and honestly who really followed this in undergrad -- would only be ~200 hours total over 16 weeks which should be more than sufficient.

I took their microbiology course and it required maybe 3 hours per week for the easiest A of my life. Sounds like Biochem is an entirely different animal and probably not worth it based on these assessments.

The amount of hours I hear about this course seems so over the top. Not to say it isn't that difficult, just that I don't think it should be for only 4 credits. You're talking about ~300 hours over 5 weeks to finish the class with a B+ which just seems insane. Even the traditional "3 hours of studying per week per credit hour" -- and honestly who really followed this in undergrad -- would only be ~200 hours total over 16 weeks which should be more than sufficient.

I took their microbiology course and it required maybe 3 hours per week for the easiest A of my life. Sounds like Biochem is an entirely different animal and probably not worth it based on these assessments.
In hindsight, I completely agree. Although I haven't taken any other UNE courses, I certainly won't be after the difficulty of this course and the amount of $ required per class.