****The Official University of Colorado Class of 2023 Interview/Acceptance Thread****

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not more than I’d spend on Uber/Lyft and a Metrocard in NYC. But yes, gas, maintenance, car insurance aren’t cheap. If you’re into snow sports it’s pretty easy to carpool and ski with your classmates. I have a classmate (and a professor) who lives in Colorado Springs and commutes 1.5 hours one way, so extensive drive times are not unheard of for students here. I hope that helps with your question.

Wait woah you got a student that commutes 1.5 hours to class everyday? Did they do this during D1 and D2 year?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Not more than I’d spend on Uber/Lyft and a Metrocard in NYC. But yes, gas, maintenance, car insurance aren’t cheap. If you’re into snow sports it’s pretty easy to carpool and ski with your classmates. I have a classmate (and a professor) who lives in Colorado Springs and commutes 1.5 hours one way, so extensive drive times are not unheard of for students here. I hope that helps with your question.

How long is your commute from downtown?

I would also add to this that your car doesn’t need to be much of an expense if you work it right. I drove for Lyft in school and made some good money. I think it is the perfect job for dental students and metro Denver area is a great place to drive.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I am a little confused how on the acceptance email it states, "Successful completion of current and/or planned course work (must receive a grade of a C or better) while maintaining or improving your pre dental grade point average" but, on the application completion email it states, "All outstanding coursework must be completed at the conclusion of the 2019 spring semester with a letter grade of a C or better".

Do we need to maintain our exact pre-dental GPA from our application or do we need to just get above a C? Those are two very different things. I am not going to get a C this semester, but my GPA is not going to be exactly as high as the GPA on my application so I am a little worried. If anyone could please clarify that would be extremely helpful!

I am a little confused how on the acceptance email it states, "Successful completion of current and/or planned course work (must receive a grade of a C or better) while maintaining or improving your pre dental grade point average" but, on the application completion email it states, "All outstanding coursework must be completed at the conclusion of the 2019 spring semester with a letter grade of a C or better".

Do we need to maintain our exact pre-dental GPA from our application or do we need to just get above a C? Those are two very different things. I am not going to get a C this semester, but my GPA is not going to be exactly as high as the GPA on my application so I am a little worried. If anyone could please clarify that would be extremely helpful!
Nope. They encourage you to do your best and improve your GPA if you can, but it’s not a requirement. Just don’t get a C and you’ll be fine.

Did you commute during D1 and D2?

I started commuting second semester D1. Didn’t like living at 21 Fitzsimons for the same reason I liked it: location. I felt like I was at school all the time and found it difficult to separate my home life from school life, which is still possible.

Reactions: 1 users
Anyone else who hasn't received an acceptance yet worried that it will be harder to recieve one this year?

They interviewed double the amount of students that they have interviewed in past years yet the class size has stayed the same.

I started commuting second semester D1. Didn’t like living at 21 Fitzsimons for the same reason I liked it: location. I felt like I was at school all the time and found it difficult to separate my home life from school life, which is still possible.
How much is your rent downtown vs. 21 Fitzsimons if you don't mind me asking? Also, are there other apartment complexes close to campus as well but cheaper? Would you recommend living closer to the school your D1 year when first adjusting?

Members don't see this ad :)
How much is your rent downtown vs. 21 Fitzsimons if you don't mind me asking? Also, are there other apartment complexes close to campus as well but cheaper? Would you recommend living closer to the school your D1 year when first adjusting?

I won't disclose that on SDN but if you post in the Facebook group I can message you.

I can think of Forum Fitzsimons across Colfax (big main street) from dental school with a few dental students, Copper Flats is across Colfax as well. A lot of my classmates rent houses in Lowry and Stapleton also.

You'll be spending a lot of your first and second year on campus and in my current experience, third year as well. I spend time working on patient lab work in my free time as a third year, but certainly nowhere near the amount of time required of you to complete mandatory projects during first and second year. I certainly think living near campus is helpful, but living 30 minutes out isn't a hinderance for me and wasn't during DS1/2 either.

Hi all, I am a D3 at Colorado - congratulations on your acceptances, I'm sure they will be the first of many.
Happy to do an AMA about University of Colorado, but I see that @cooliyak has already answered many questions - funny enough @cooliyak was actually my mentor when I was applying to dental school and in your very same shoes.
Feel free to ask away!

Do students need to collect real teeth for projects/future projects?

I still haven’t heard back yet... does anyone know when they will send out rejection letters/emails? Im freaking out.

I still haven’t heard back yet... does anyone know when they will send out rejection letters/emails? Im freaking out.
My friend got a rejection yesterday, but he got caught in a lie during the interview so I'm not sure if that was a special case of an automatic rejection or if they are sending them out in general.

My friend got a rejection yesterday, but he got caught in a lie during the interview so I'm not sure if that was a special case of an automatic rejection or if they are sending them out in general.
Lol. I'm curious, may I ask what he was lying about?

I haven't heard anything! I haven't interviewed but this happened to me last year. I interviewed in January but was then rejected in March so I have no idea how this year will play out!

Lol. I'm curious, may I ask what he was lying about?
On his application under manual dexterity he said he played guitar. Apparently one of the faculty interviewing him was an avid guitar player and asked him what brand of guitar he owned but he couldn't name a brand.

On his application under manual dexterity he said he played guitar. Apparently one of the faculty interviewing him was an avid guitar player and asked him what brand of guitar he owned but he couldn't name a brand.
if its closed file how did they know to ask?

They didn't. They asked him what his manual dexterity experience was and he said that he played guitar. Then they asked him the brand question.

I'm sure they later looked to see if it was on his application and that sunk the ship.

Their definition of closed file I believe is that they cannot see your grades and DAT score.

I am pretty much they can see information in that whole "Personal Information" section on your application which includes your manual dexterity paragraph.

Lmao I would walk out of the interview and go home if that happened to me. Damn that's embarrassing

Reactions: 3 users
What is/are the area codes of the phone numbers they're calling from to offer acceptances?

No. Just knowing when and when not to be excited because of annoying phone solicitors.

No. Just knowing when and when not to be excited because of annoying phone solicitors.
Makes sense. I was just wondering cause I had literally just missed a phone call from a Washington area code and wasn't sure if you had too. You scared me

You guys should just answer all calls you get this month. My acceptance call was with an Atlanta area code number

Still havent heard anything from the school... I intwrviewed late october. Should I be worried? Should I contact the school...? :/:/:/

Still havent heard anything from the school... I intwrviewed late october. Should I be worried? Should I contact the school...? :/:/:/
They haven't extend all offers yet, so there is still time. In their email they sent telling us about their process said that they will be extending offers throughout december so you shouldn't worry, its not over yet

Don't worry, they haven't handed out all their acceptances yet and I'm sure there are also people like me and my fiancé who will decline their acceptance in favor of other schools.

On another note, those who are already accepted should contact the school and try to get some scholarship money since me and my fiancé are dropping both our 10k/year scholarships as well

Don't worry, they haven't handed out all their acceptances yet and I'm sure there are also people like me and my fiancé who will decline their acceptance in favor of other schools.

On another note, those who are already accepted should contact the school and try to get some scholarship money since me and my fiancé are dropping both our 10k/year scholarships as well

Do you think there will still be scholarships available if we get accepted later? Also, congrats, where are you headed?

Do you think there will still be scholarships available if we get accepted later? Also, congrats, where are you headed?
I'm debating between UMKC and Creighton right now! I don't think there will be scholarships for people who are accepted later. On the acceptance phone call, I was told they really wanted me and knew I would have a lot of acceptances, so to make my decision easier, they offered a 40k scholarship

I'm debating between UMKC and Creighton right now! I don't think there will be scholarships for people who are accepted later. On the acceptance phone call, I was told they really wanted me and knew I would have a lot of acceptances, so to make my decision easier, they offered a 40k scholarship

So I am considering UMKC as well. What made you decide against Colorado?

So I am considering UMKC as well. What made you decide against Colorado?
Price. Not only did UMKC offer me a scholarship that gives me instate tuition, they also gave me an 80k scholarship. Even though I think Colorado is the superior school, i can't say no to UMKC at that price lol

Price. Not only did UMKC offer me a scholarship that gives me instate tuition, they also gave me an 80k scholarship. Even though I think Colorado is the superior school, i can't say no to UMKC at that price lol

Hold on playa....they gave you TWO scholarships??

Hold on playa....they gave you TWO scholarships??
Yup a minority scholarship and diversity scholarship. Brings COA down to 130k with interest over 4 years :)

Hi all, I am a D3 at Colorado - congratulations on your acceptances, I'm sure they will be the first of many.
Happy to do an AMA about University of Colorado, but I see that @cooliyak has already answered many questions - funny enough @cooliyak was actually my mentor when I was applying to dental school and in your very same shoes.
Feel free to ask away!

What advice could you give on preparing for the first years cirriculum? Touching up on anatomy, just relaxing until matriculation, more assisting/shadowing experience?

What advice could you give on preparing for the first years cirriculum? Touching up on anatomy, just relaxing until matriculation, more assisting/shadowing experience?
Highly recommend just relaxing. You’ll be swept up in material before too long and anybody I have asked who said they reviewed said it wasn’t worth it. A lot of the classes feel like review at the beginning anyway before they get into newer material.

Highly recommend just relaxing. You’ll be swept up in material before too long and anybody I have asked who said they reviewed said it wasn’t worth it. A lot of the classes feel like review at the beginning anyway before they get into newer material.

Are you in charge of scheduling your own patients? I heard the schools finds patients for you but you are in charge of scheduling?

Status
Not open for further replies.