****The Official University of Detroit Mercy Class of 2016 Acceptance Thread****

and to comment on previous posts...

the 120 class size currently is guaranteed, they got a "verbal" confirmation to 140 as well, but they are waiting for it to be official (referring to 140 class size)

Their ultimate goal is 160, and they are not sure if 160 is going to happen for this year.

Members don't see this ad.

and to comment on previous posts...

the 120 class size currently is guaranteed, they got a "verbal" confirmation to 140 as well, but they are waiting for it to be official (referring to 140 class size)

Their ultimate goal is 160, and they are not sure if 160 is going to happen for this year.
Are you referring to verbal confirmation from CODA, or from applicants? Just wondering whether there are going to be 20 or 40 spots available or what the deal is. Thanks

For those on the alternate list, did anyone receive a confirmation email or notice upon sending in the alternate candidate response form?

Members don't see this ad :)
For those on the alternate list, did anyone receive a confirmation email or notice upon sending in the alternate candidate response form?
I did not, but I called them a couple days after I sent it in and they didn't have it, then called a week after and asked if they had it and they did. I'm still somewhat paranoid they've lost my form, but each time I call they say I'm still on the alternate list. I'm just trying to figure out how many are on the alternate list, and if you are interviewing new people and admitting them/offering them, what are we doing on the alternate list? Just waiting to hear something, sounds like we should hear something in the next couple weeks if the CODA stuff gets worked out.

I did not, but I called them a couple days after I sent it in and they didn't have it, then called a week after and asked if they had it and they did. I'm still somewhat paranoid they've lost my form, but each time I call they say I'm still on the alternate list. I'm just trying to figure out how many are on the alternate list, and if you are interviewing new people and admitting them/offering them, what are we doing on the alternate list? Just waiting to hear something, sounds like we should hear something in the next couple weeks if the CODA stuff gets worked out.

I just found out the earliest CODA meeting is July 13. I am not sure if this meeting is for the expending class issue. Here is the link.
http://www.ada.org/117.aspx

Thanks, El0422. I'll call them tomorrow just to make sure they have it. Apparently they sent my actual forms to an address I lived at last August (I've moved twice since then and have updated my address with them each time). Hopefully we all will know something soon. As for now, patience is a great thing to possess!

its sad.... UDM admission is not the same since the main lady that used to run it (since the 90s) quit last year.

i'm not being frantic toward them i've left one voicemail and an email, and called them once in the morning, once in the afternoon for the past week but no one is responding :/ rather irresponsible of the school to be unreachable after inviting students to interview
should i just presume that i am un-invited? -_-

ok so i now realize the person who contacted me, Danielle Harris, is on maternity leave
does anyone have the contact name/info for whom youve been calling?

ok so i now realize the person who contacted me, Danielle Harris, is on maternity leave
does anyone have the contact name/info for whom youve been calling?
I always call one of the general Dental Admissions numbers: (313) 494-6650. They seem to always pick up for me.

I always call one of the general Dental Admissions numbers: (313) 494-6650. They seem to always pick up for me.

That's weird. They are really friendly and whenever I call, they always pick up the phone. I don't know if it's a good idea to go interview because the class is already full and the interview is for an alternate list for sure. When I called in the morning to adcom, one lady in the office said they were waiting for response to expand their class size and it would be decided in July. So no one knows the actual class size until July.

There is a list of 4 people to call for a status check on their website. Anyone driving down to detroit from GTA area?

That's weird. They are really friendly and whenever I call, they always pick up the phone. I don't know if it's a good idea to go interview because the class is already full and the interview is for an alternate list for sure. When I called in the morning to adcom, one lady in the office said they were waiting for response to expand their class size and it would be decided in July. So no one knows the actual class size until July.

they gave me an interview for june 8 which is really late. i'm always down to go to any interview regardless of alternate or not :) afterall it is the closest school to my home that i applied to!

PS are people still wearing suits at this time of year for interviews? i'm dying in this heat.....

Last edited:
they gave me an interview for june 8 which is really late. i'm always down to go to any interview regardless of alternate or not :) afterall it is the closest school to my home that i applied to!

PS are people still wearing suits at this time of year for interviews? i'm dying in this heat.....

I was told that the interview takes 2 hours, so maybe you could just change in the washroom after the interview. (Just don't let them catch you do that)

Members don't see this ad :)
Do you mean that the 120 seats are currently filled or that the expansion is guaranteed to be approved by CODA?

Also, someone in a previous post mentioned that the school will find out about approval of the class expansion within the next couple of weeks but now the consensus seems to be July!? Anyone have any further insight?

Yes, 120 seats are currently filled. They might go to 140 (20 more seats) but it is not approved yet. They will expand the class to 160 in the next year or two but NOT likely this year.

Sure would like to know something before I have to resend out all my apps next week, would save me a lot of money. But they won't be adding spots until July 9th and only then if CODA approves the move up to 160, which is where they plan to take the class if they can, so for now the only movement would be people pulling off their offers.

Anyone else getting their new apps ready? Can't access AADSAS anymore, so no more updates from there. Does anyone know what schools whose waitlist you're on want you to do in regards to the reapplying, I just assume you reapply and still remain on the waitlist.

I'm having the same issue. Do we send out all our apps and spend money all over again to only find out a few weeks later that we are accepted after the CODA approval?

can current udm students comment on the new split semester system?

it seems splitting 5 out of 10 classes into different blocks sucks because sometimes what you learn in one class directly relates to what you learn in the other.

sucks to be the guinea pigs for this new system. definitely regret not going to my other interviews now.

Do you guys re-take DAT before sending apps or send the same scores?

it seems splitting 5 out of 10 classes into different blocks sucks because sometimes what you learn in one class directly relates to what you learn in the other.

sucks to be the guinea pigs for this new system. definitely regret not going to my other interviews now.

I don't get it. Why does this new system suck? Can you tell more details about this?

Splitting the 10 classes is not really a bad thing. It's like a quarter system, which is used by some current dental schools. You can still relate material from the first 5 to the later 5 classes, like organic chem 1 and ochem2. I think the quarter system makes it easier to concentrate on a select 5 classes rather than concepts across a whole 10. It really depends on the person, some will like it others won't. Your not at a disadvantage at all. Also less finals clumped together.

first of all, this is a new strategy, they have not implemented anything yet. so no one can comment on how succesful/fail it is.

This concept of learning one thing and having it pertain into another class is ALL throughout dental school. Its not like the usual semester system doesn't have this problem. Don't be surprised to walk into a test and about 5-10% of questions came from material not covered during the class (nor was found in text books). This is dental school for ya, if your doing a classic semester, or a "split" semester (like what UDM is going to do soon) is almost irrelevant, you will be frustrated either way it goes.

Now having said all that, I am having some of the best time of my life in dental school right now..... I will forget my years as a dental student, and I am making sure of that.

Danielle is on maternity leave so be sure to email the admissions staff members..

Got called in for an interview two days ago for June 15 for alterate seat. Canadian applicant here. Any recent interview feedback from anyone here? Supposedly, it's a very "laidback" interview according to SDN interview feedback site.

I doubt my chances are good considering classes will start in just 2 months.

Last edited:
Got called in for an interview two days ago for June. 15 for alterate seat. Canadian applicant here. Any recent interview feedback from anyone here? Supposedly, it's a very "laidback" interview according to SDN interview feedback site.

I doubt my chances are good considering classes will start in just 2 months.

You mean 15 people are currently on the alternate list or 15 people will be chosen during June?

I was referring to the date.

Lol. Yeah, I fixed it. Did you already interviewed with the school? How was it?

Yes I did. I interviewed for almost two hours and it was pretty laid back like you said. Don't need to worry about it. Are they still giving interviews or you think you are the last one?

Anyone who recently interviewed hear anything back yet?

I just interviewed the end of May and have yet to hear anything.

Whoops, did not mean to post more than once.

Last edited:
I talked with admissions and they are encouraging people on the alternate list to reapply because "nothing is for certain" on increasing the class size. What is everyone else doing until mid-July?

I think I'll give it another week or so and hit submit on my reapplication. What are you thinking about doing?

Has anyone been given a ballpark of the alternate list size? Just wondering, because it looks like they might be able to add 40 spots, which is good, but if there's a 100 on the alternate list that isn't so good.

No idea about the size of the alternate list. I always forget to ask that specific question when I call. If they are (and have been) interviewing more people, this list has to be growing in size, which is not good.
I think I may wait to resubmit but am not certain yet. I'm getting a newer LOR for this cycle, but that will be in before mid-July. Ughh..I don't know what to do.

How are the applicants on the alternate list ranked? Is it by GPA, DAT scores, and interview scores? Do they even score the interviews?

According to the letter I received, they do not rank the alternate list and do not select people based on a predetermined order.

Anyone call to ask when people who interviews in late May will hear something back? As in whether or not we made it onto the wait list

Just called: they said they have a meeting next week so if you interviewed late May. I guess that means you won't hear back for 1-2 weeks regarding whether or not you made it onto the alternate list

Just called: they said they have a meeting next week so if you interviewed late May. I guess that means you won't hear back for 1-2 weeks regarding whether or not you made it onto the alternate list

Did they elaborate on the objective of the meeting?

I talked to someone in the office, and they said the meeting was yesterday. It seems it could be possible to hear something today.

Yes I did. I interviewed for almost two hours and it was pretty laid back like you said. Don't need to worry about it. Are they still giving interviews or you think you are the last one?

I talked to Bethsave last Friday when she gave me the tour of UDM, she said they still have to interview about 10 more people.

No idea about the size of the alternate list. I always forget to ask that specific question when I call. If they are (and have been) interviewing more people, this list has to be growing in size, which is not good.

I asked my interviewer this same question last Friday. He didn't give a specific number; he just said that it was "big".

I asked my interviewer this same question last Friday. He didn't give a specific number; he just said that it was "big".
Kind of annoying, especially if I don't hear any good news if they get the ok to expand. At the time I interviewed in February I was told they were done interviewing and the alternate list was pretty much set. Now it seems like they have been interviewing people every week. For some reason it'll bug me if they put me on the list and then just interviewed more and more people and then ultimately admitted them. I would've rather them flat out say no than put me on the alternate list. By the time the full expansion has been reached, it'll be almost 70 spots they've added, not to mention those offered who opt to go elsewhere.

Being pessimistic, I just feel like if I wasn't good enough to be offered one of the 70 spots, why am I on your alternate list? Almost feel like if I don't get in, what's the point of even reapplying to them since when I interviewed the number of spots was almost equivalent to a full class when you consider the number of spots they've added and the spots that have likely opened up. Really would like to hear some positive news soon.