****The Official University of Michigan Class of 2023 Interview/Acceptance Thread****

Status
Not open for further replies.
Connections can sometimes make a difference, but from what people from the school told me, they really try to be as objective as possible. At my interview, I met people who had nothing to do with Michigan at all, so it is possible to get accepted as an OOS having had no connections. I am in state and have many connections, and I think that played a role in me getting an interview.

The connection helps put your name on a list of people to pay close attention to, and I believe it only goes as far as to ensure that your application is not as easily regarded as "just another application". That means you still need an otherwise competitive application for the connection to be of any use. If your GPA or DAT won't cut it, for example, forget it.

Yeah, I think it definitely depends on the case. I’ve never been to Michigan and don’t know a single soul who lives in Michigan so clearly there’s no connection here.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Im in state and live 20 minutes away, so I've couple of friends that have gone there. From what a lot of them say is that its very connection based. I kinda believe it but then I dont know how an OOS would have a connect so not sure if its true.

Connections do not help as much as you would think. For example, I have met with the director of admissions for the last 3 years and am in state and applied early with a 3.96 and 20 DAT and have not heard back, but I met someone at my interview at another school this week who applied 6 weeks after me and has no connection or affiliation with UofM and is OOS. It truly is luck of the draw and based on the perception of who is reading your app. I know individuals completed programs at UMich and have a relationship with the admissions committee but still have not been interviewed. There really is know way to tell how how they select people.

Reactions: 1 users
Can anyone who has interviewed here offer any tips? I’m very freaked out by the MMI format and am not sure how to prepare. I know people say you can’t prepare but there has to be something I can do.
Are the questions all ethical or related to dental issues?
Thank you in advance!! I’d appreciate any guidance.

Members don't see this ad :)
Can anyone who has interviewed here offer any tips? I’m very freaked out by the MMI format and am not sure how to prepare. I know people say you can’t prepare but there has to be something I can do.

It’s virtually impossible to prepare. The best you can do is brush up on reading so you can read the prompts faster

Connections do not help as much as you would think. For example, I have met with the director of admissions for the last 3 years and am in state and applied early with a 3.96 and 20 DAT and have not heard back, but I met someone at my interview at another school this week who applied 6 weeks after me and has no connection or affiliation with UofM and is OOS. It truly is luck of the draw and based on the perception of who is reading your app. I know individuals completed programs at UMich and have a relationship with the admissions committee but still have not been interviewed. There really is know way to tell how how they select people.

Same boat, 3.7 and 23 aa. I know someone with a 20 who had an interview (she got waitlisted though)
So frustrating:/

Same boat, 3.7 and 23 aa. I know someone with a 20 who had an interview (she got waitlisted though)
So frustrating:/
How is that even possible this early on? To get waitlisted after the interview.... i thought all these decisions come out post dec 1st

How is that even possible this early on? To get waitlisted after the interview.... i thought all these decisions come out post dec 1st
Probably talking about somebody who applied a previous cycle?

I had a few connections, 23 AA, and 3.62 oGPA. I got an interview from Michigan. But I heard absolutely nothing from the other schools which you got interviews from. It's just so random. From what I heard, all admissions committee members and all interviewers are required to disclose who they know that is applying during the cycle, and those people cannot take part in your admissions decision.

You have maybe only two stations that ask you the standard questions you may expect from a dental school interview. Otherwise the others are usually a scenario, or take a side. You can read some sample MMI questions to get a feel for how MMI works, but they want to see how well you can think on your feet. They change the prompts change every year I think, as I did not find the sample questions in the interview feedback of SDN to be of any use.

You have maybe only two stations that ask you the standard questions you may expect from a dental school interview. Otherwise the others are usually a scenario, or take a side. You can read some sample MMI questions to get a feel for how MMI works, but they want to see how well you can think on your feet. They change the prompts change every year I think, as I did not find the sample questions in the interview feedback of SDN to be of any use.
Thank you so much! Are there 10 stations? Was the time given an issue for you?

Thank you so much! Are there 10 stations? Was the time given an issue for you?
There were 10 stations, you pretty much needed all the time allocated, but it wasn't really a barrier.

Just got an interview! Super siked
Notification Date: 11/04/18
Residency: FL
AADSAS mail-out date:06/13/18
Application complete date: 08/05/18
GPA (science, overall): 3.39 , 3.68
DAT: 23 AA, 25TS, 20RC, 21 PAT
Interview offered 11/16

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: 3 users
The MMI format really wasn't that hard. It was basic ethical questions in a paragraph format.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the explanation! Much appreciated!
Everyone invited for an interview at U Michigan gets an information sheet with explanation of the MMI interview and its format as well as there is a MMI video on their website.
Everyone who attends the interview signs a strict confidentiality statement regarding the MMI, so you are not suppose to talk about it.
this ensures fairness and equality of all applicants.

Everyone invited for an interview at U Michigan gets an information sheet with explanation of the MMI interview and its format as well as there is a MMI video on their website.
Everyone who attends the interview signs a strict confidentiality statement regarding the MMI, so you are not suppose to talk about it.
this ensures fairness and equality of all applicants.
Thanks for the info! Thanks so much!

Does anyone know if U of M will notify on December 1 or wait till December 3?

Does anyone know if U of M will notify on December 1 or wait till December 3?
Acceptance notifications start on Dec 3rd this year for all schools.
Interview invites will continue in January as well.

Does anyone know if they have started sending out the January interview invites yet or do they wait until after December 3?

Reactions: 4 users
Who is getting nervous for Dec 3rd (profusely sweating while typing this)?!?!

Hey,

What are the chances of a January interview now? Are they all given out already? I'm still hoping to have the opportunity to do so.

Got the call at 9am! Accepted with a scholarship

I just missed my phone call!!! and they did not leave a voicemail

930 AM phone call!!!!!!! IM SO EXCITED

Start showing us mountain states some love cmon!!

Reactions: 2 users
Accepted at 8:35 MST. Utah resident!

Accepted phone call 8:45 MST, with scholarship. IL resident

Anyone know if there will be an interview date on 1/25? The current available date is 1/18, and I cannot attend that one.

Literally thought I had failed the MMI's

Literally thought I had failed the MMI's
Lmfao same man. I walked out of that building and said "welp, guess michigan is out of the picture now". Still waiting for them to call me back and say "awkward, but we meant to give that acceptance to the OTHER an4tomy"

Lmfao same man. I walked out of that building and said "welp, guess michigan is out of the picture now". Still waiting for them to call me back and say "awkward, but we meant to give that acceptance to the OTHER an4tomy"

I drank someone's water at the waiting table by accident because I was so exhausted and nervous. The interviewer behind me says "Hey man I think that was that other person's water they forgot"..........................

Hi, Congratulation to everyone who get accepted. Hope you finally decide to go to Umich. Maybe it is a little bit early to ask. I am a current a D2 at Umich. I live in a house which is 10 min walk from the school. My roommates are moving out next year so I want to find new roommates. Prefer females (I am a girl). If you are interested, please PM me for more information.

-Thank you

Status
Not open for further replies.