***The Official UTHSC-San Antonio C/O 2018 Interview/Acceptance Thread***

SicEm

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Didn't see one of these yet so figured I'd do the honors :) Good luck, y'all!

Members don't see this ad.

Aaand I'll get the ball rolling. I interview next Monday, Aug 12th. Anybody know what the essay is like?? Like is it handwritten or can you type it on the computer?

Last edited:
Aaand I'll get the ball rolling. I interview next Monday, Aug 12th. Anybody know what the essay is like?? Like is it handwritten or can you type it on the computer?

Good luck!! I'm still waiting to hear back from San Antonio *fingers crossed*

Members don't see this ad :)

I believe its handwritten... Please let us know how the interview goes!

Hey, I'm interviewing Aug 12th too :) I didn't know that we have to write an essay..... :/

Get ready for ethnic foods yawlz. And yes, you'll have to exert more strain on the right/left hand at this one.;)

Those who've been offered interviews, do you mind sharing stats and IS/OOS status?

Hey, I'm interviewing Aug 12th too :) I didn't know that we have to write an essay..... :/

I think the essay is more to just make sure your writing style matches whats in your personal statement. At least, that's what I heard from a friend. See you in San Antonio, riceowls! :owle:

Those who've been offered interviews, do you mind sharing stats and IS/OOS status?

In state, 3.9 science GPA, 3.84 overall. 22 AA.

Haha cute owl!! And yeah, see ya in 2 days!!

Members don't see this ad :)
Congrats to everyone who got an interview! For everyone that has an interview, do you mind sharing when you submitted your application? It would really help! Thank you!

Congrats to everyone who got an interview! For everyone that has an interview, do you mind sharing when you submitted your application? It would really help! Thank you!

I submitted my application on 5/22, was mailed out 5/24

Hey! I submitted mine in early May!

Submitted on 6/6 and mailed out 6/18.

I'm interviewing Aug 26th too! See you there!

Reactions: 1 user
Hey everyone! I just wanted to say that the interview at UTHSCSA actually *is* really laid back (and kinda fun!). Feel free to pm me with any questions. Also, consider bringing an umbrella or at least check the weather forecast ;)

hey stab technique! when did you submit the application?

Interviewing 9/30, app was received 8/21 according to them but I had to e-mail them to verify yesterday and they resent the verification and an interview offer hours later. So excited!!!

I have an interview on Oct 7th! Submitted 7/26, Received 8/21, Invited 9/17

Interviewing 9/30, app was received 8/21 according to them but I had to e-mail them to verify yesterday and they resent the verification and an interview offer hours later. So excited!!!
Yaaaay! No surprise :)

Good luck!!

What email address did you send your email to?

Got an interview invite email today for November 11. Anyone heard anything about what to expect? I'm out-of-state and have never been to San Antonio before..

Got an interview invite email today for November 11. Anyone heard anything about what to expect? I'm out-of-state and have never been to San Antonio before..

Same! My interview is November 4th though.

Any Texas residents have an opinion about San Antonio as a dental school?

Any Texas residents have an opinion about San Antonio as a dental school?
I enjoyed my interview there and thought the students seemed really happy. From what I've seen, motivated students have the greatest chance of doing some spectacular clinical work at SA. Their new clinic should be amazing as well. I could be wrong, but that was my impression. Also, the appeal of a suburban campus really cannot be overstated for me. I left that school really wanting the chance to attend.

I enjoyed my interview there and thought the students seemed really happy. From what I've seen, motivated students have the greatest chance of doing some spectacular clinical work at SA. Their new clinic should be amazing as well. I could be wrong, but that was my impression. Also, the appeal of a suburban campus really cannot be overstated for me. I left that school really wanting the chance to attend.
Thank you Illfavor!

Be yourself!
There will be two separate interviews, one faculty member and one DS3/DS4. The faculty has only had access to your essays while the DS4 has access to the whole app, I believe. Both interviewers have a list of questions to ask from and will most likely ask the same ones -- about 4-5. Try to look around the faculty members office to be able to talk about something else after all questions are answered. DS4 will interview you in their clinic. Conversations are key! They want to make sure you're not a robot and will have interpersonal skills.
The itinerary for last year's interview was intro with deans, tour, lunch with DS3s and DS4s, interviews, short essay.

Good luck y'all!!!!!

Reactions: 1 user
I know I spoke with a few of yall yesterday at the interview. Wish yall luck and hopefully we will see each other again!

Anyone know what percent of out of state applicants who interviewed get accepted?

Anyone know what percent of out of state applicants who interviewed get accepted?
Last year they interviewed 21 OOS people and accepted 6 (according to the ADEA AADSAS guide).

Be yourself!
There will be two separate interviews, one faculty member and one DS3/DS4. The faculty has only had access to your essays while the DS4 has access to the whole app, I believe. Both interviewers have a list of questions to ask from and will most likely ask the same ones -- about 4-5. Try to look around the faculty members office to be able to talk about something else after all questions are answered. DS4 will interview you in their clinic. Conversations are key! They want to make sure you're not a robot and will have interpersonal skills.
The itinerary for last year's interview was intro with deans, tour, lunch with DS3s and DS4s, interviews, short essay.

Good luck y'all!!!!!
Mine was mostly this. My faculty had no list of questions, but asked me standard questions. My D4 said he was ignoring his list and let me ask questions for about 30 mins, which was very nice. We got to know each other a bit as well.

Accepted at 12:05! Who else got accepted that plans to attend UTHSCSA?

Congratulations y'all :) I am a DS at UTHSCSA let me know if you have any questions regarding school.

Beside what's included above, anyone mind telling about their essay and interview? Is it a personal essay... I'm freaking out about the essay. Writing is my true weakness.

Beside what's included above, anyone mind telling about their essay and interview? Is it a personal essay... I'm freaking out about the essay. Writing is my true weakness.
Whens your interview? When I went there we just had to write about the quote of the day. It was really easy. I think they are just trying to see if you can fill up a page and have no language barrier.