The Republic of Texas Thread - Part V - Where Everything Is Bigger and Better

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
"Reyes, Tiffany" <[email protected]>

GL jigga

Members don't see this ad.

but i don't know why i feel it's going to be different this year...utsw did say that they usually give out ~450 acceptances..but this year all they have to worry about is keeping it to 230ish..so they are not going to overaccept people on the waitlist either...

I'm somewhat inclined to agree b/c a lot of non trads who have made plans for UTSW will be unlikely to accept another offer even if it's Baylor. But still, don't be a Debbie Downer

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey guys! Any Tech waitlisters out there? It is better than nothing... but I am already planning on retaking the f-ing mcat. Best of luck to everyone!

word, i'm contemplating retaking the mcat as well seeing as i did not get in anywhere...w/l at utsw and maybe uth (sent email today). what besides more clinical experience and possibly retaking the mcat will help me improve my app?

word, i'm contemplating retaking the mcat as well seeing as i did not get in anywhere...w/l at utsw and maybe uth (sent email today). what besides more clinical experience and possibly retaking the mcat will help me improve my app?

Do you have an mdapps profile? Are you willing to share more info via PM if you don't have a profile? Without more information it is hard to judge what else you may need.

got my UTH rejection over the weekend too. fun stuff.

does anyone know whether an april 2004 MCAT score is still valid for next year's application cycle? i just need to know for TX schools since if i have to apply again, it'll only be to TX schools. i really hope it's still valid since at a 32, i probably have a good chance of going lower.

oh and BCM needs to start handing out aceptances so people with UTSW or UTH acceptances go there and then everyone moves up, i.e. ME!

I'm honestly not sure about the MCAT. I think scores are only good for three years and I am guessing you'd be up by the time you apply. But I would definitely find someone more authoritative to ask :) I got challenged for taking the MCAT in Aug 05 because of the three year thing and if I didn't get in the score would be eligible for less time. I was annoyed with that interviewer.

Do you have an mdapps profile? Are you willing to share more info via PM if you don't have a profile? Without more information it is hard to judge what else you may need.

right here chief, thx, i love sdn :love:

errr mdapps should be post 451

Got UTH and Baylor rejections today. good times. My A&M waitlist letter came in today too. Hope I see some movement.

Seems like all the people who didn't interview at Baylor are receiving their rejections. Wonder when all the people who interviewed at Baylor and haven't heard back yet are going to start hearing back.

As to UTSW, I don't see how this year's dynamic with the pre-match offers will reduce the amount of waitlist movement. Last year they may have over-accepted during the match, but there was probably less waitlist movement because of this. This year, they didn't over-accept but the number of students who end up attending who will probably be close to last year's number leaving more movement for the waitlist.

Just a feeling, Mortal Lessons. Just a feeling.

I wish my lmfu would change.

do you know gou?

Members don't see this ad :)
Wow guys, I'm too terrified to contact UTH. My remaining hope will be shattered. I don't know of anyone that has called and has been put on the waitlist.

I'm somewhat inclined to agree b/c a lot of non trads who have made plans for UTSW will be unlikely to accept another offer even if it's Baylor. But still, don't be a Debbie Downer
I agree with this - and in all honesty, at this point I don't know if I'd turn down UT-H for Baylor because I've already psyched myself out for UT-Houston

I'm really sad to hear about people not making it on to waitlists. :( I'm just going to throw out there that I'll be rooting for you guys when you reapply and if any of my Texas peeps need a place to stay when interviewing at Houston in the fall: Let me know :) You're going to rock this next cycle. Show the noobs how it's done ;)

I agree with this - and in all honesty, at this point I don't know if I'd turn down UT-H for Baylor because I've already psyched myself out for UT-Houston

I'm really sad to hear about people not making it on to waitlists. :( I'm just going to throw out there that I'll be rooting for you guys when you reapply and if any of my Texas peeps need a place to stay when interviewing at Houston in the fall: Let me know :) You're going to rock this next cycle. Show the noobs how it's done ;)

I know its been speculated before that Baylor was offering late to wait for the match to blow over. If they are, or really whatever reason they're offering late, I think it could come back to bite them in the butt.

And the same goes for me! Next fall my place will be open for any TX folk who need a place to stay! Hopefully I will even get to give tours!

Yeah, I would take it again but be sure to apply in october again as well.;)

Contacted Tiffany Reyes- i'm not on the alternate list. Just thought you guys would want to know. I'm thankful that I did get at least one acceptance to TX though, so no-go to houston is more than fine with me.

Is there anyone who interviewed at UTH in December or January who was not put on the waitlist? Or is there anyone who interviewed before November 15th and was put on the waitlist? I wonder if those spots were reserved for people interviewing after prematch offers.

I interviewed at UT-H on 11/8/06, didn't make the waitlist (just got a reply today...)

Is there anyone who interviewed at UTH in December or January who was not put on the waitlist? Or is there anyone who interviewed before November 15th and was put on the waitlist? I wonder if those spots were reserved for people interviewing after prematch offers.

^ yeah that would really suck if its true.

utsw! where is my waitlist rank email?

Hey y'all,

Hope it's not too late to join the WL party. Anyway, yesterday I had a very interesting phone call to UTSA...this is what happened, you be the judge.

I called and talked to one very nice lady and told her I had a few questions about the waitlist. I fired off "How many people are on it?"

She responded, without hesitation, "60"

Next, I ask "Is it ranked?"

Again, without hesitation "Of course it's ranked"

Trying to push my luck on the phone, I ask where I am on the WL...then I get transfered to someone 'who knows more than her."

I ask her the same questions...."How many people?"

This time she says "We aren't allowed to release that information"

When I ask her if its ranked, she says that its not...in fact its pooled.

Just thought you might like to know, you can interpret that info any way you want!

Buenna Fortuna

makes sense to me. if we got actual consistent information, it would be the first time in this TX app cycle...

Only 60? If that's true, than no wonder...g'luck to those that are on it, sounds like you might have a decent chance! :luck: As for UTSW, I'd be really interested in this segment "ranking" thing...anybody know how many are on UTSW's WL?

Hey y'all,

Hope it's not too late to join the WL party. Anyway, yesterday I had a very interesting phone call to UTSA...this is what happened, you be the judge.

I called and talked to one very nice lady and told her I had a few questions about the waitlist. I fired off "How many people are on it?"

She responded, without hesitation, "60"

Next, I ask "Is it ranked?"

Again, without hesitation "Of course it's ranked"

Trying to push my luck on the phone, I ask where I am on the WL...then I get transfered to someone 'who knows more than her."

I ask her the same questions...."How many people?"

This time she says "We aren't allowed to release that information"

When I ask her if its ranked, she says that its not...in fact its pooled.

Just thought you might like to know, you can interpret that info any way you want!

Buenna Fortuna

When I called I talked to a guy who was nice and sounded like he knew what he was talking about.
He said there was anywhere from 60-100 people on it (I'm hoping 60!) and it was not ranked. He said anytime a spot opened up they would revisit everyone on the list (whatever).
When I asked him if he had any idea how many people would come off it he said last year there were about 10, 15 the year before that. hope that helps somebody!!! :luck: :luck: :luck: :luck: :luck: :luck: :luck:

Do we know how the various schools feel about LOI? Do some schools frown upon it? I'm contemplating sending one to UTSW...just wanting your thoughts.

I too would like to send an update letter, but in the pdf in the email it said not to send things but just wait. any thoughts?

UTSW:Baylor - Dallas:Houston

UTH:Baylor - Houston:Houston

hey lets all keep hoping for the best

unfortunately for me that also means to prepare for the worst, as the old addage goes

hopefully we will all see some WL movement in the near future! :thumbup:

lets see... here baylor or UTHomo... am i the only one that thinks that decision doesn't require any thought?

djfir0 can't understand why ppl don't agree with him/her

lets see... here baylor or UTHomo... am i the only one that thinks that decision doesn't require any thought?

Why r u calling it UTHomo? What do u mean by that?

Do we know how the various schools feel about LOI? Do some schools frown upon it? I'm contemplating sending one to UTSW...just wanting your thoughts.

Me too.

I shoulda sent one before they said not to send anything in

But then again, they didn't say dont send us anything IIRC, just that sending in stuff now wont do anything (they have everything they need to make a decision and just wait)

I think it cant hurt... opinions? :thumbdown: :thumbup: :confused:

This is probably just idealized dreaming, but if we were pulled of a WL would we still be in contention for scholarship money??

Don't worry, he wanted to give up a really nice scholarship for utsw. I personally think he should have a brain MRI :laugh:

I'm getting the feeling that we're not liking this guy/girl. I haven't been keeping up with the conversations here very well though so I'm not sure.

I just want to say to him/her that it's not cool to put down other schools, which I think he's doing (I could be wrong), because some people worked really hard to get into those schools and some people worked really hard and still haven't gotten in.

I absolutely agree -- if I had that choice, I would never turn down Baylor, but everone is different.
I'm not saying I'd definitely turn down Baylor. I'm saying it isn't as sure a thing to me as it was a few months ago. Baylor is amazing and I very much love the school. But I love Houston too. Do I love Baylor 40k more than I love Houston? I'm not so sure anymore.

Don't worry, he wanted to give up a really nice scholarship for utsw. I personally think he should have a brain MRI :laugh:
Speaking of brain MRIs... did you watch House tonight? I think that man has finally jumped the shark. But damn if I wasn't instantly jealous of Cameron for getting to kiss him ;)

Speaking of brain MRIs... did you watch House tonight? I think that man has finally jumped the shark. But damn if I wasn't instantly jealous of Cameron for getting to kiss him ;)

Of course I watched it :) If I don't get in next year I'm cutting out my right half (field knife Jack Bauer style) so that my left half isn't held back anymore. As for the action, I was insanely jealous of him for getting to make out with Cameron and getting to grab Cuddy's ass!

Of course I watched it :) If I don't get in next year I'm cutting out my right half (field knife Jack Bauer style) so that my left half isn't held back anymore. As for the action, I was insanely jealous of him for getting to make out with Cameron and getting to grab Cuddy's ass!
I like watching House with my dad, a doc, because every 5 minutes he's screaming out "OH COME ON - are you kidding me!?!"

It's too entertaining. :laugh:

I like watching House with my dad, a doc, because every 5 minutes he's screaming out "OH COME ON - are you kidding me!?!"

It's too entertaining. :laugh:

Did you catch the huge mistake they made on the show today?

They said his right brain was inactive and it was his right eye that was blind. Clearly their clinicians failed anatomy.

Plus, isn't the visual cortex innervated by the optic nerve from both eyes? It's the right half of the visual field and the left half of the visual field but not necessarily the left eye and the right eye.

Or did I just make it painfully obvious that I quit A&P before we got to that section? :oops: Neuroanatomy was a long, long time ago (2001 :eek: )

Status
Not open for further replies.