The Republic of Texas Thread - Part V - Where Everything Is Bigger and Better

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Nice, I was wiki-ing visual cortex at the same time you posted this.

Members don't see this ad.

Anyway, enough nerding it up. G'night. :p

I have a feeling tomorrow will bring good news in some form whether its a PSU acceptance for me, or maybe a new clinical EC opportunity for the reapps out there, or maybe just opening a bag of M&Ms and they're ALL your favorite color, which is of course green (surgery scrub colors :cool:)

Members don't see this ad :)
if his right visual cortex wasn't working, he wouldn't be able to see things that are located in his left visual field, but it would affect both the left and right eyes (the temporal portion of the right and the nasal portion of the left).

faking cancer seemed a bit dramatic

it was like a pathetic attempt to try and match Grey's Anatomy death stunt for the main character, to get you going "ooooh might they kill them off?" Yes, in House it technically would have been a year, but still. Linking death to main character = getting old and gimmicky. We know theyd never kill off the main. Though I'd be willing to give the Best Show Ever award to which ever show does it first, and not in a series finale or anything, I'm talking out of the blue in the middle of the season zomg where are they gonna go from here thing.

Why r u calling it UTHomo? What do u mean by that?

i call it UTHomo cause i think that is funny...

I'm getting the feeling that we're not liking this guy/girl. I haven't been keeping up with the conversations here very well though so I'm not sure.

I just want to say to him/her that it's not cool to put down other schools, which I think he's doing (I could be wrong), because some people worked really hard to get into those schools and some people worked really hard and still haven't gotten in.

im getting the feeling that you are going to die a virgin...... calm down man i was just messing around... this thread needs some spice.... yea i know people worked hard, ever heard of rivalry between schools... im going to utmb so naturally i must hate everyone at UTH.

p.s. don't get all pussyhurt about my comments im just fvcking with you

i'd be happy going to utmb or uthomo...err uth

Plus, isn't the visual cortex innervated by the optic nerve from both eyes? It's the right half of the visual field and the left half of the visual field but not necessarily the left eye and the right eye.

Nerd check on the TX thread. Nerd check on the TX thread.

HAH! I think this just made my day :) Seriously. I was trying to not even address the comment made but you're just too funny. But I mean, its not like saying something is gay is an insult anyway (it certainly shouldn't be). :D

Also.... don't you picture a hilarious jibjab kinda thing coming from this. Or it could be between Ann Coulter and Hillary Clinton since uber conservatives (and many regular people) think Hillary is evil/crazy and anyone can agree (not everyone, but everyone that matters ;)) Ann is pretty crazy herself and has a good shake of evil too.

i call it UTHomo cause i think that is funny...

p.s. don't get all pussyhurt about my comments im just fvcking with you

Sorry, you missed funny, missed any comment-worthy degree of offensiveness (especially on the pre-allo board! you'll have to do way better than that to get noticed around here), and hit lame. Better luck next time.

Although, generally speaking, when you say things that are designed to get attention, you'll come out with something lame more often than not. Better to avoid next time entirely.

if his right visual cortex wasn't working, he wouldn't be able to see things that are located in his left visual field, but it would affect both the left and right eyes (the temporal portion of the right and the nasal portion of the left).
Yeah that's what I thought. But they didn't seperate the right and left visual fields... they just covered up one eye and then the other. Even a psych major (ie. me) knows that's really wrong medically.

Nerd check on the TX thread. Nerd check on the TX thread.

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: Don't act like this is the first time. ;)

The Californians are trying to beat us with a thread, but we all know they never will, because they are just not as amazing as we. I mean, come on! They don't even have a sticky at the top of Pre-Allo just yet.

I hereby call on my fellow Texans to keep posting here so that we keep advacing this thread, until we reach part VI.

Members don't see this ad :)
bad day for me, just found out i'm not on uth alternate list

Sorry, you missed funny, missed any comment-worthy degree of offensiveness (especially on the pre-allo board! you'll have to do way better than that to get noticed around here), and hit lame. Better luck next time.

Although, generally speaking, when you say things that are designed to get attention, you'll come out with something lame more often than not. Better to avoid next time entirely.

wow... thanks for the advice, you know its great to see one human being reaching out to look out for another human being.... thanks man, you know i'll just come to you before i react next time.. thanks for looking out for me... oh one more thing, if you don't mind... if in my life you ever see me at 28 years old chatting it up online with a bunch of nerdy pre-meds... please just shoot me right on the spot as i feel that i have would have reached an all time low in my life. thanks!

ew. just ew. i feel bad for you djfir0 and it's kind of an icky feeling because you don't deserve it.

I'm not saying I'd definitely turn down Baylor. I'm saying it isn't as sure a thing to me as it was a few months ago. Baylor is amazing and I very much love the school. But I love Houston too. Do I love Baylor 40k more than I love Houston? I'm not so sure anymore.

The money makes these choices tough, doesn't it? The Hazlewood Act makes about the same difference for me that the scholarship does for you. But during that fourth semester of pre-clinical memorization, I would probably be more than willing to throw down the 40k to be done with the lecture hall and into the wards.

I don't really anticipate having to make the choice, but it would be nice to know where they are on their admissions list, if nothing else for the people waiting on the TMDSAS waitlists that are, to some extent, waiting on Baylor. I often think that admissions offices keep far more things super-secret than really need to be.

The Californians are trying to beat us with a thread, but we all know they never will, because they are just not as amazing as we. I mean, come on! They don't even have a sticky at the top of Pre-Allo just yet.

I hereby call on my fellow Texans to keep posting here so that we keep advacing this thread, until we reach part VI.

The funny thing is, they think they're great and all, but we have our OWN application service that while it looks rudimentary, is MUCH MUCH MUCH cheaper. And hello, no one but Texas is in it. Therefore it is great :)

Got my MRI done today. Hopefully its just a sprain of my MCL and that I didn't tear it completely. I believe my ACL and other CLs should be fine since if my knee is straight I can bend my leg with very little discomfort. I can also sit cross legged with no pain. It is just when I need lateral stabilization of my knee that it hurts.

I'm hoping for a 1-2 week recovery and I can get back to kicking ass & getting my ass kicked.

All I have to say is writing the FAQ thing is making me hate TMDSAS :mad:

I thought we agreed three Texas threads and 4,000 posts ago that the TMDSAS was EVIL!! :D

Got my MRI done today. Hopefully its just a sprain of my MCL and that I didn't tear it completely. I believe my ACL and other CLs should be fine since if my knee is straight I can bend my leg with very little discomfort. I can also sit cross legged with no pain. It is just when I need lateral stabilization of my knee that it hurts.

I'm hoping for a 1-2 week recovery and I can get back to kicking ass & getting my ass kicked.

I missed the post where you said you got hurt. I thought it was just your stomach! What happened?

*Sending pain killing vibes to ETERNAL*

Perhaps we should make a Texas thread just for updates of your medical status :) And for anyone's ailments. Then we could discuss them in a most nerdy way :) I hope your knee is just sprained! Get healthy and stay that way :)

this may be preliminary but i think UTMB updated their webpage.... finally

even if the MCL were torn, it heals perfectly fine without surgery. of course you'll have to go easy on it and possibly put it in a leg immobilizer. the ACL is the ligament most prone to tearing and if that's not broken, your prognosis looks pretty good.

also if the radiologist + orthopod missed an ACL tear, they should be fired. those things light up like crazy on an MRI.

sooo, when did you hurt your knee? how'd you do it? also sorry if you posted somewhere in this thread already, but i can't read the thread since it seems like y'all are talking about last night's episode of house and i haven't watched it yet. hahaha.

even if the MCL were torn, it heals perfectly fine without surgery. of course you'll have to go easy on it and possibly put it in a leg immobilizer. the ACL is the ligament most prone to tearing and if that's not broken, your prognosis looks pretty good.
Yeah, hopefully, it's just the MCL, which just makes it a matter of time.

also if the radiologist + orthopod missed an ACL tear, they should be fired. those things light up like crazy on an MRI.
I hope they did a good job. Still waiting on word from my doc though.

sooo, when did you hurt your knee? how'd you do it? also sorry if you posted somewhere in this thread already, but i can't read the thread since it seems like y'all are talking about last night's episode of house and i haven't watched it yet. hahaha.
I hurt it last Saturday at an open mat sparring session at JHU. I was sparring this guy and I had him in the clinch, and I kneed him once, and went to do so again, and he ducked under and to my side and I ended up with head and arm control. I thought about doing a hip throw but hesitated because his hips were back and his base low, and in the time it took me to think that he jumped up and did a scissor sweep. I turned my foot to the side to try and keep my balance, which was a very bad idea since he had more than enough momentum to drive me over, so it ended up stretching out the medial side of my knee for an instant before I toppled over.

ew. just ew. i feel bad for you djfir0 and it's kind of an icky feeling because you don't deserve it.

elaborate... i think your comment is kinda cute.

oh and by the way....
seriousbusiness.jpg

The money makes these choices tough, doesn't it? The Hazlewood Act makes about the same difference for me that the scholarship does for you. But during that fourth semester of pre-clinical memorization, I would probably be more than willing to throw down the 40k to be done with the lecture hall and into the wards.

I don't really anticipate having to make the choice, but it would be nice to know where they are on their admissions list, if nothing else for the people waiting on the TMDSAS waitlists that are, to some extent, waiting on Baylor. I often think that admissions offices keep far more things super-secret than really need to be.
I hate people (some of which post to SDN) who try to act like they are older and wiser and know it all as a result, but I'm going to stoop to that level for a minute. 40k is nothing in the grand scheme of things. Even with interest compounded. The economic definition of wealth is the abundance of choices, and as I get older (and wiser?) that's what I really value in life. I guess what I am trying to say is that if Baylor can open up choices for you that UTH can't then it is worth the 40k, IMHO. The reason why I haven't 100% decided on UTSW in the [increasingly unlikely] possibility that Baylor comes through for me (seriously, what the heck are they doing that is taking so long now that all their interviews have been over?) I think there are some opportunities that Baylor offers that UTSW does not.

[/Old Man Spewing of "Wisdom"]

I think there are some opportunities that Baylor offers that UTSW does not.

Got particular ones in mind? By all means keep spewing! We'll tell you when you get dangerously close to know-it-all-ness. :p

Edit: and yes, that new UTMB webpage is tons better! The old one gave the impression that the school wasn't quite reputable.

just checked the allo thread for UTSW...someone's been accepted off the WL. two thumbs up for waitlist movement! :thumbup: :thumbup:

I hate people (some of which post to SDN) who try to act like they are older and wiser and know it all as a result, but I'm going to stoop to that level for a minute. 40k is nothing in the grand scheme of things. Even with interest compounded. The economic definition of wealth is the abundance of choices, and as I get older (and wiser?) that's what I really value in life. I guess what I am trying to say is that if Baylor can open up choices for you that UTH can't then it is worth the 40k, IMHO. The reason why I haven't 100% decided on UTSW in the [increasingly unlikely] possibility that Baylor comes through for me (seriously, what the heck are they doing that is taking so long now that all their interviews have been over?) I think there are some opportunities that Baylor offers that UTSW does not.

hehehe i find its those same people that take the internet seriously enough to get offended/upset over what someone says on it.... i love getting under their skin MUHUAHAHAHAHAHHAAHHAHA....

p.s. more people on this thread should listen to this guy.

Got particular ones in mind? By all means keep spewing! We'll tell you when you get dangerously close to know-it-all-ness. :p

Edit: and yes, that new UTMB webpage is tons better! The old one gave the impression that the school wasn't quite reputable.

just out of curiosity, are you a republican?

OOOO YEAAAAH!!!! UTSW wwaitlist movment begins!!!!! gl all, hope we are celebrating with cold beers by the end of this month!:D

This probably shouldn't be posted in the TEXAS forum since this is going on in Boston, but I thought you guys might find this interesting (and I'm scrrrrd of the other people on SDN- not really, it's just that this is really the only place I post)

Some person is suing two doctors for a 'botched abortion' at a planned parenthood for the cost of raising her child...

http://www.boston.com/news/local/ma...or_child_rearing_costs_after_failed_abortion/

This probably shouldn't be posted in the TEXAS forum since this is going on in Boston, but I thought you guys might find this interesting (and I'm scrrrrd of the other people on SDN- not really, it's just that this is really the only place I post)

Some person is suing two doctors for a 'botched abortion' at a planned parenthood for the cost of raising her child...

http://www.boston.com/news/local/ma...or_child_rearing_costs_after_failed_abortion/

wow.. just wow.... country is going to 5hit

OH MY GOD! I don't know much about abortion, and I know there are ways to mess it up, but how do you mess it up so bad the baby comes out relatively fine??? Doesn't that mean they essentially didn't perform it??? This blows my mind. And it makes me feel like there should be more reliable tests for pregnancy. And women should also pay a little more attention to their bodies. And it just brings up ALL KINDA ISSUES! seriously.

OH MY GOD! I don't know much about abortion, and I know there are ways to mess it up, but how do you mess it up so bad the baby comes out relatively fine??? Doesn't that mean they essentially didn't perform it??? This blows my mind. And it makes me feel like there should be more reliable tests for pregnancy. And women should also pay a little more attention to their bodies. And it just brings up ALL KINDA ISSUES! seriously.

Seriously, how did the chop shop f* that one up? As for pregnancy tests how about a simple ultrasound, should be relatively easy to see if it's still moving or in one piece.

The reason why I haven't 100% decided on UTSW in the [increasingly unlikely] possibility that Baylor comes through for me (seriously, what the heck are they doing that is taking so long now that all their interviews have been over?)

You should stick to acting like you are not an older, wiser, know it all. At least 3 SDNers have been accepted to Baylor in the past week: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=330463&page=7

Quote from the article:

"The state's high court ruled in 1990 that parents can sue physicians for child-rearing expenses, but limited those claims to cases in which children require extraordinary expenses because of medical problems, medical malpractice lawyer Andrew C. Meyer Jr. said."

Doesn't seem like the suit will have much of a case based on that. I would think the article would mention it should the child in question have extraordinary conditions that require extraordinary expenses. Poor kid.

explanation:

hehehe i find its those same people that take the internet seriously enough to get offended/upset over what someone says on it.... i love getting under their skin MUHUAHAHAHAHAHHAAHHAHA...

blah this could drag out forever. (you are) not... worth... it.

so anyways, let's talk about some real important issues... like why did anastastis change her icon?! it took me forever to realize her old one was an IV bag... :D

so anyways, let's talk about some real important issues... like why did anastastis change her icon?! it took me forever to realize her old one was an IV bag... :D
:laugh: Because I post on MCAT Random all the time and they all decided to change their icons to something Irish-ie for the season.

What can I say? Not that creative ;)

What the hell?! :confused:

explanation:

blah this could drag out forever. (you are) not... worth... it.

oh ****... did i type that out loud.. (wait what?)... cmon now... you don't like bothering people that can be bothered? its just the internet!

Wow. Only in Massachusetts.

If she doesn't want to incur the cost of raising a child, she has options!!! Infertile couples all over the country must be crying at the irony -- that she tried so hard NOT to have an infant, and now wants money to compensate her for the hardship of having one.

Wow. Only in Massachusetts.

If she doesn't want to incur the cost of raising a child, she has options!!! Infertile couples all over the country must be crying at the irony -- that she tried so hard NOT to have an infant, and now wants money to compensate her for the hardship of having one.

Hopefully this story will draw the attention of CPS. It is people like this that make me wonder if eugenics isn't such a bad idea after all.

Status
Not open for further replies.