The Republic of Texas XXXI: Everything's not just bigger, it's more awesome too

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Are you really going to go through the entire first page without people ranking the texas schools and then arguing about it?

:p

I'll take a stab at it:

1. UTH
2. UTSW (this may change, I haven't interviewed here yet)
3. UTMB
4. Texas Tech- El Paso (Great school, but location for me is not ideal)

With that being said I think every school in Texas can provide a quality education, it just comes down to additional factors for me, such as location, proximity to family, etc.

I hope everyone matches/pre-matches to their top choices! :thumbup:

Members don't see this ad.

Let the insomnia begin. I did not sleep last night then proceeded to stumble around in the ED all morning. It will most likely repeat tomorrow... Really really hope I don't get a big slap in the face when pre-match comes out :(

Let the insomnia begin. I did not sleep last night then proceeded to stumble around in the ED all morning. It will most likely repeat tomorrow... Really really hope I don't get a big slap in the face when pre-match comes out :(

:confused:

ER Tech? Scribe?

Members don't see this ad :)
Scribing. Let me tell you it's really difficult to do with 0 sleep lol. I am glad you got all those interviews man, I'd be excited just to get a second one.

Scribing. Let me tell you it's really difficult to do with 0 sleep lol. I am glad you got all those interviews man, I'd be excited just to get a second one.

I scribed for 3 months, it was difficult. I was doing that, while working part-time as an ER Tech (which I still am doing) and taking med school pre-reqs. It was just too much for me and I dropped scribing, but the experience you gain is invaluable.

Thanks buddy, I have been lucky this cycle and hopefully things work out. I think you'll hear from another school or two here pretty soon. Keep your head up!

Edit: Where was your interview at?

Last edited:
Only interview is at Texas A&M which I feel very blessed to have. I am really really hoping to be pre-matched in. Seems like ER techs and scribes are the normal for people on SDN but everyone at my hospital is applying PA or not at all >_<

Only interview is at Texas A&M which I feel very blessed to have. I am really really hoping to be pre-matched in. Seems like ER techs and scribes are the normal for people on SDN but everyone at my hospital is applying PA or not at all >_<

Or nursing :laugh:

Nah, nurses are great and we need them on the healthcare team, don't mean to talk down to nurses at all.

I haven't heard from A&M man...and I thought based on numbers and my interest in primary care I'd hear from them but nope...so definitely feel blessed. A pre-match would be awesome, one and done, you're going to be an MD and can relax the rest of the year.

Anyone else wanna talk about how they plan on ranking their schools?

Why not? We'll be ranking them soon enough! Here's what I'm thinking right now:

1) UTSW
2) UTHSCSA
3) UTMB
4) TTUHSC at Lubbock
5) TAMHSC
6) TTUHSC at El Paso
7) UTH
8) TCOM

Anyone else? I hope we all hear great news on Thursday! Best of luck :)

Why not? We'll be ranking them soon enough! Here's what I'm thinking right now:

1) UTSW
2) UTHSCSA
3) UTMB
4) TTUHSC at Lubbock
5) TAMHSC
6) TTUHSC at El Paso
7) UTH
8) TCOM

Anyone else? I hope we all hear great news on Thursday! Best of luck :)

Why UTH so far down?

Here's my list:

1) Baylor
2) UTSW
3) UTH
4) UTMB
5) UTHSCSA
6) TTUHSC at El Paso
7) TTUHSC at Lubbock

Last edited:
Why UTH so far down?

Here's my list:

1) UTSW
2) UTH
3) UTMB
4) UTHSCSA
5) TTUHSC at El Paso
6) TTUHSC at Lubbock

There was just something about it that didn't resonate with me. It's a great school clearly, just not a good fit. Anyways, all of mine are REALLY close.

Are you guys set on your rankings? There was aspects that I appreciated about every school so I think it's going to be hard to finalize it!

I have...

UT Southwestern
UT San Antonio
UTMB Galveston
Texas Tech El Paso

Really disappointed I didn't or haven't got an interview at UT Houston. It would be number one for me :confused:

Last edited:
TCOM > TTUHSC Lubbock in my opinion.

At least from the curriculum standpoint. Probably prefer Ft Worth to Lubbock as well. Only advantage Lubbock has, in my eyes, is that it has ammenities of a full university (like a full size rec center, library, etc).

Members don't see this ad :)
I'll go ahead and rank

1. UTH
2. UTMB
3. Foster
4. TCOM

And Im going to interview at UTSW so Im expecting that to be near or at the top but Im going to wait to judge til I visit myself.

1. UTSW
2. Baylor
3. UTH
4. UTSA
5. UTMB
6. El Paso
7. Tech - Lubbock
8. A&M
9. TCOM

1)uth
2) Tcom
3) Lubbock
4) el paso

Really hoping for a uthscsa interview still. It would be in my top two.

For me it's about location and Houston and fort worth are nice cities with great hospitals.

Last edited:
TCOM > TTUHSC Lubbock in my opinion.

At least from the curriculum standpoint. Probably prefer Ft Worth to Lubbock as well. Only advantage Lubbock has, in my eyes, is that it has ammenities of a full university (like a full size rec center, library, etc).

In addition to the fact that they basically have a water park on campus (where they get the water from is beyond me).

What there is a water park on tcom's campus? I didn't get to see that when I interviewed.

What there is a water park on tcom's campus? I didn't get to see that when I interviewed.

I think he was referring to Texas Tech, not TCOM:

lp-2.gif

http://www.depts.ttu.edu/recsports/aquatics/leisure.php

645ft. long lazy river!

Ahh can't believe it's the prematch tomm. Only have a shot at one prematch tomm though. Other interviews are after the 15th.

Apparently UTSW updated their status page. Give it a check.

Edit: They realized their mistake and changed it lol

Last edited:
When do prematches come out for A&M, TTELP? Do they make us wait until the afternoon of 11/15?

I had my UTMB interview on the first week possible, and I love the school, if I don't get a prematch from them tonight, they send them out at midnight usually, I will be crying myself to sleep tonight.

When do prematches come out for A&M, TTELP? Do they make us wait until the afternoon of 11/15?

I had my UTMB interview on the first week possible, and I love the school, if I don't get a prematch from them tonight, they send them out at midnight usually, I will be crying myself to sleep tonight.

Hah +1, especially moreso since I only had one interview and that was UTMB which prematches heavily. Buying myself a bottle of whiskey for both outcomes.

I really liked UTMB but I went to my interview last week, not sure if thats enough time to still prematch tomorrow but damn it would be a great surprise if they did.

wonder if any IIs will come out this week since it's prematch week. Seems pretty quiet this week.

What time are notifications typically sent out?

Good luck everyone! I'm honestly pretty anxious right now. Tomorrow is a big day but just remember - not getting an acceptance tomorrow, doesn't mean you won't be accepted! Hang in there!

I wonder if thats true for TT El Paso since its mountain time here. Either way Im going to bed early and will try to avoid checking my email til at least tomorrow afternoon.

I wonder if thats true for TT El Paso since its mountain time here. Either way Im going to bed early and will try to avoid checking my email til at least tomorrow afternoon.

Probably a good idea. Only a handful of schools send out acceptances at midnight.

Good luck to everyone!

Sent from my iPad using SDN Mobile app.

Good luck everyone! I'm honestly pretty anxious right now. Tomorrow is a big day but just remember - not getting an acceptance tomorrow, doesn't mean you won't be accepted! Hang in there!

2nd this. Lots of people get pre matches between now and January, and even more people get in during the match. Keep your heads up and don't stress too much if you don't get in.

Also, if you are one of the fortunate ones who get multiple pre matches, I think it is courteous to the school and fellow applicants to release the ones you're sure you aren't going to go to as soon as you make that decision. Don't rush into the decision, but there isn't much reason holding onto multiple pre matches going into January.

Good luck everyone!

Fellow Texas resident here.

Good luck everyone!

I hope to be in this situation in the future.

With all of these prematches coming out, will scholarship information be given out before having to submit our match preferences? Finances can definitely sway my rank list.

With all of these prematches coming out, will scholarship information be given out before having to submit our match preferences? Finances can definitely sway my rank list.

Schools do send out some scholarship offers with prematch offers (depends on funding available), but unfortunately, there's no way to figure out how much total financial aid (and what type) a school will actually offer you until AFTER your match list has been submitted. You don't fill out FAFSA until after match.

It's stupid, I know. At least all the Texas schools have about the same tuition.

Schools do send out some scholarship offers with prematch offers (depends on funding available), but unfortunately, there's no way to figure out how much total financial aid (and what type) a school will actually offer you until AFTER your match list has been submitted. You don't fill out FAFSA until after match.

It's stupid, I know. At least all the Texas schools have about the same tuition.

:thumbup: Thanks for the reply! That's a little silly, but what are you going to do?

Congratulations everyone who received a pre-match offer already! Very exciting!