The Republic of Texas XXXIX: Pretty words are not always true, and True words are not always pretty.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Adding “ a bunch” for utsw hurt me in ways I didn’t expect lol
you can rank them first on your match list if you are pining for UTSW.

Members don't see this ad.

IMG_0541.JPG

It's time for Thanksgiving dinner, or this year maybe Thanksgiving Zoom calls.

Remember, all those relatives you seldom see don't understand the ins and outs of the med school application process, although they are sure to ask you a few questions, or offer you lots of outdated advice from their friend's sister-in-law.

Enjoy your family time and practice saying, with a smile, "I won't be finding out for sure about medical school until March. I'll be sure to spread the word when I hear something!"

Wysdoc

• Love
  • Haha
Reactions: 14 users
News update for the period 11/23 to 11/29:

Although it may not seem like it to some of you, there has been some action this week.

Texas Tech Lubbock, Dell, UTRGV, and TCOM sent out more interview invitations.

New offers of admission have gone out from:
SHSU
Baylor
UIWSOM
Texas A&M EnMed

Plenty of time left in this rodeo, interviews go on a month longer this COVID-19 year than usual.

Interviews at TMDSAS schools should be over before Feb 19th, the deadline day for ranking your Match preferences.
I will do a general explanation of the Match ranking stuff pretty soon on the general TMDSAS questions page.

Wysdoc

Reactions: 10 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Howdy Texas friends! I applied this cycle and haven't received any IIs. I haven't given up hope on this cycle, but I am very content with not getting in and trying again next year. I'm just trying to think of my next steps, since theoretically I'd be applying again in about 6 months. I have a very high GPA, pretty low MCAT. I'll be starting a scribing position in January and am hoping that will help with my clinical hours! However, I was wondering if there are TX schools that give feedback on your application, and if so, what schools? Just looking to get some insight about what I should do to improve my application. Thanks!

Reactions: 1 user
Howdy Texas friends! I applied this cycle and haven't received any IIs. I haven't given up hope on this cycle, but I am very content with not getting in and trying again next year. I'm just trying to think of my next steps, since theoretically I'd be applying again in about 6 months. I have a very high GPA, pretty low MCAT. I'll be starting a scribing position in January and am hoping that will help with my clinical hours! However, I was wondering if there are TX schools that give feedback on your application, and if so, what schools? Just looking to get some insight about what I should do to improve my application. Thanks!
I know Tech Lubbock & Tech El Paso give feedback! They hold reapplicant workshops and go over your app with a member of the admissions office. (Someone correct me if I’m wrong)

Reactions: 2 users
News update for the period 11/30 to 12/13:

New interview invitations from 10 of our 15 Texas MD and DO schools:
Texas A&M
UTSW
Texas Tech Lubbock
McGovern
Baylor
U of Houston
TCU/UNTHSC
UTRGV
TCOM
UIWSOM

New offers of admission have gone out from:
TCOM
UTMB
UIWSOM
U of Houston
SHSU
UTRGV
A&M EnMed

Most schools will be taking a break in interviews over the winter holidays, but I wouldn't be surprised to see some pre-match offers sent out in December as a result of admissions committee meetings that have already happened.

What can you do for now?

1. Log in to TMDSAS portal after Fall 2020 grades are final and enter your new grades. TMDSAS will recalculate your GPA and send it to all schools.
2. Drag out your primary and secondary essays and read over them, to refresh your memory of what the heck you said to each school in case they invite you for an interview. Do they sound like nonsense and BS to you now? Well think of something different you would say in an interview, but know that they will be seeing what you said then, too.
3. AMCAS schools don't expect or have a means to send new grades.

4. Help your parents, roommates, or sibs around the house and get out for some fresh air.
5. Don't give in to self-doubt.

Wysdoc

Reactions: 14 users
Is it pretty typical not to get a prematch anywhere? I've interviewed at 4 TMDSAS schools but no word post interview yet. Trying not to be neurotic lol

Trying to figure out HOW to rank my schools. I had interviews at McGovern, UTMB, Foster (prematch), SHSU and UHCOM. I'm pretty sure McGovern is first and UTMB is second, but really agonizing over U of H or Foster third. I actually really LOVE Foster and am leaning towards them because they are well established and my mission fits theirs strongly, but U of H is tempting because they're much closer to home and I know they've poached some excellent talent from the other schools. SHSU is fifth because I've decided to go MD since I have that option and hope to someday work internationally. Does anyone have thoughts on this matter?

Last edited:
Trying to figure out HOW to rank my schools. I had interviews at McGovern, UTMB, Foster (prematch), SHSU and UHCOM. I'm pretty sure McGovern is first and UTMB is second, but really agonizing over O of H or Foster third. SHSU is fifth because I've decided to go MD since I have that option and hope to someday work internationally. Does anyone have thoughts on this matter?
Congrats on your strong cycle and that pre-match! I have a friend who is deciding between Foster and UHCOM and here are some things they are considering that hopefully might help.

UHCOM is primary care focused with a majority of their MS3/4 clerkships taking place at ambulatory sites and community hospitals (verbatim from their Courage and Info Sessions). They will definitely prepare any student well for whatever specialty interests they might have, but UHCOM is a strong choice for a matriculant who is confident they want to enter primary care (or as confident as we can be as pre-meds). UHCOM will, of course, experience growing pains like any new program, but that can also be an exciting opportunity to help build the foundation of the school's culture and student life on top of learning medicine.

On the other hand, Foster is an already established, traditional medical school. Their main teaching hospital (UMC of El Paso) is your typical academic medical center/hospital that is both primary care and specialty care focused. El Paso already has biomedical research programs in place being part of the Health Science Center and has multiple student-run clinic opportunities (or at least advertised that they did.)

My friend ultimately is leaning towards Foster over UHCOM for the security of attending an already-established program. They also are very uncertain of their specialty interests and felt Foster would provide a more well-rounded clinical education, regardless if they ended up in specialty or primary care. However, they aren't from either Houston or El Paso so there wasn't any pull from family or an already established life in one of those areas to complicate their decision.

Hope you find the clarity you need over the next couple of months to compile the right rank list for you!

• Love
Reactions: 1 users
Anyone have thoughts on Long vs TAMU? Right now Im leaning towards my list being Long > TAMU > TCOM > SHSU

Anyone have thoughts on Long vs TAMU? Right now Im leaning towards my list being Long > TAMU > TCOM > SHSU
I would agree with putting Long first. They are really a powerhouse school. It also makes sense to put TAMU second because of the fact that students have to move away from one another and it's not certain where you'd end up being. Looks like you had a great application cycle too!

Congrats on your strong cycle and that pre-match! I have a friend who is deciding between Foster and UHCOM and here are some things they are considering that hopefully might help.

UHCOM is primary care focused with a majority of their MS3/4 clerkships taking place at ambulatory sites and community hospitals (verbatim from their Courage and Info Sessions). They will definitely prepare any student well for whatever specialty interests they might have, but UHCOM is a strong choice for a matriculant who is confident they want to enter primary care (or as confident as we can be as pre-meds). UHCOM will, of course, experience growing pains like any new program, but that can also be an exciting opportunity to help build the foundation of the school's culture and student life on top of learning medicine.

On the other hand, Foster is an already established, traditional medical school. Their main teaching hospital (UMC of El Paso) is your typical academic medical center/hospital that is both primary care and specialty care focused. El Paso already has biomedical research programs in place being part of the Health Science Center and has multiple student-run clinic opportunities (or at least advertised that they did.)

My friend ultimately is leaning towards Foster over UHCOM for the security of attending an already-established program. They also are very uncertain of their specialty interests and felt Foster would provide a more well-rounded clinical education, regardless if they ended up in specialty or primary care. However, they aren't from either Houston or El Paso so there wasn't any pull from family or an already established life in one of those areas to complicate their decision.

Hope you find the clarity you need over the next couple of months to compile the right rank list for you!
Thank you so much. This is definitely helpful! I'm leaning towards pediatric infectious diseases as a specialty, so I think being on the border would be an extraordinary opportunity. Foster seems like a great fit for me, really. UHCOM looks like a good school, but I'm not sure I really want to do primary care, unless I specialize.

Members don't see this ad :)
I would agree with putting Long first. They are really a powerhouse school. It also makes sense to put TAMU second because of the fact that students have to move away from one another and it's not certain where you'd end up being. Looks like you had a great application cycle too!
Thank you! Okay cool that's kinda what I was thinking. And yes its gone much better than last year, I just have to secure the A now

Last edited:
Thank you! Okay cool that's kinda what I was thinking. And yes its gone much better than last year, I just have secure the A now
With 4 schools to do it from, I'd put money on you being a med student in July!

I don't know if y'all know about a specific forum called "Help me decide, X vs Y Medical School"

Help Me Decide: X vs Y Medical School

You can either search titles for the schools you are trying to decide about, or start your own! It helps to follow a format with your personal pro/con.
Someone started a UTMB -vs- Long thread already and you can see what people are commenting, or look at past years too.

You are also welcome to discuss this stuff here on this thread, as it isn't a thread devoted to a specific medical school.

Either way, it's great to see you using this waiting time to discuss and consider your options.
Wysdoc

Reactions: 8 users
I have heard that declining an acceptance from a school and then applying the following year is looked upon very negatively-people are said to be "blacklisted." Does this go for declining pre-matches as well? Wouldn't the school have the opportunity to award another deserving applicant the spot if you turned it down before "match day." Does anyone have any experience with this?

I have heard that declining an acceptance from a school and then applying the following year is looked upon very negatively-people are said to be "blacklisted." Does this go for declining pre-matches as well? Wouldn't the school have the opportunity to award another deserving applicant the spot if you turned it down before "match day." Does anyone have any experience with this?

The only reason you will decline a prematch is if you already received a prematch from a school you are for sure going to, no matter the circumstances ( scholarship, location, etc). If you decline with no backup then yeah you probably didn’t deserve the prematch.

Rank the other schools you interviewed at and would rather go to ahead of your prematch, but do NOT turn down your acceptance! If you do that, you'll never get another one. Be grateful that whatever school accepted you wanted you and you have the privilege of becoming a doctor.

News update for the period 12/14 to 12/20:

We saw interview invitations sent out from these 6 schools:
Texas A&M
Texas Tech Lubbock
Baylor
TCU/UNTHSC
UIWSOM
SHSU

And new offers of admission from these 8 schools:
Texas Tech El Paso
McGovern
Texas A&M
UTSW
Baylor
UIWSOM
SHSU
TCU/UNTHSC

Most schools will be taking a 10-day break between Christmas and Monday Jan 4th, but I hope some might be meeting to talk about y'all behind your backs - Of course you know I mean to discuss your recent interviews and make some decisions!

Put it out of your mind for a few days and take the pressure off, you've done your part!

Wysdoc

Reactions: 4 users
News update for the period 12/21 to 12/31:

New interview invitations from these schools:
Texas Tech El Paso
Long
Texas Tech Lubbock
Baylor

TCU/UNTHSC

And new offers of admission from:
U of Houston

Happy New Year!!
Wysdoc

Reactions: 6 users
Anybody else submit their rankings? Feel like a good time to me.

Last edited:
How are people ranking the two Tech schools? I'm still agonizing over which is my favorite!

How are people ranking the two Tech schools? I'm still agonizing over which is my favorite!

Personally, Lubbock > Foster, but if you have a prematch to a school you would rank higher, it doesn't matter right?

Personally, Lubbock > Foster, but if you have a prematch to a school you would rank higher, it doesn't matter right?
That's correct, while you need to rank all your schools, your highest ranked prematch sets the floor. Why do you consider Lubbock>El Paso? While I'm thrilled to have it, my only prematch is El Paso, and that's why I'm puzzling over the two so much!

Let's catch up on the news from 1/1/2021 to 1/11/2021:

New interview invitations from these schools:
Texas Tech El Paso
Texas A&M
Long
Texas Tech Lubbock
Dell
TCU/UNTHSC
TCOM
U of Houston

And some offers of admission from:
UTMB
Texas Tech Lubbock
TCU/UNTHSC
SHSU
UIWSOM

The last day for pre-match offers is Jan 31, 2021.
Match rank preferences are due on your TMDSAS portal by Feb 19, 2021.
Match Day for TMDSAS schools is March 5, 2021.

Share your news, y'all, I'm not a mind-reader!

Wysdoc

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
So it is unlikely that there will be any more II for texas schools?

This week Long (1/8), A&M (1/7 and 1/12), UTRGV (1/14, 1/15) and Baylor (1/14) made more invitations.
Edited to add Dell (1/11) and the dates.

Last edited:
This week Long, A&M, UTRGV andBaylor made more invitations
Do you know what day this week Long made their invitations? Do you also know how far they've scheduled out? Just wondering if someone PMed you because I didn't see any reports on the Long forum this week.

Last edited:
Do you know what day this week Long made their invitations? Do you also know how far they've scheduled out? Just wondering if someone PMed you because I didn't see any reports on the Long forum this week.
Jan 8th, don’t know what interview dates were offered.

Also, for @photovoltaic123 and others, there's a post on page 2 of this thread listing all the dates I have seen of interview invitations.
At the top of the post I edit which date I updated it (added more information). Interview invitations running list

Last edited:
I made my first 2021 post about how TMDSAS Match goes over on the TMDSAS Questions thread here: #657

Feel free to ask me any questions that don't require me to predict the future!
Wysdoc

I made my first 2021 post about how TMDSAS Match goes over on the TMDSAS Questions thread here: #657

Feel free to ask me any questions that don't require me to predict the future!
Wysdoc

Idk. You are 90% correct with future predicting questions.

• Haha
New activity from 1/12/2021 to 1/27/2021:

New interview invitations from these 10 schools:

Texas A&M
Baylor
Texas Tech El Paso
UTRGV
Long
McGovern
U of Houston
TCU/UNTHSC
Dell

TCOM

It is pretty unusual
for TMDSAS schools to send out more interview invitations so close to the end of the pre-match window, but what isn't unusual about this application cycle in a raging pandemic?

And some offers of admission from:

TCOM
UTMB
Long
A&M
TCU
Texas Tech El Paso

UTSW

The last day for pre-match offers is Jan 31, 2021.
Match rank preferences are due on your TMDSAS portal by Feb 19, 2021. Before 5 pm, don't procrastinate.
Match Day for TMDSAS schools is March 5, 2021.

Share your news. y'all!

Wysdoc

Ohhh I see. In that case my invitation was sent on 1/19. Still might not be relevant lol.

6651404.jpg
Baylor is now part of TMDSAS

Red hot Texas news!

Next year Baylor will be joining the TMDSAS application system!
Here’s the announcement:
Baylor College of Medicine joins TMDSAS

Honestly the biggest benefit of this was for people who wanted to go to UTSW and not Baylor given now people no longer have to wait till April for people to drop out of UTSW and go to Baylor. Sucks for people who don't want to decide early though between the two.

Status
Not open for further replies.