The Republic of Texas XXXIX: Pretty words are not always true, and True words are not always pretty.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
News Update for period from 1/28/2021 to 2/7/2021:

Remember, the TMDSAS pre-match offer window ended on 1/31/2021.
The non-TMDSAS schools - Baylor, UIWSOM, and TCU/UNTHSC - do not have to stop with their offers on 1/31.

Interview invitations have gone out from these schools:
Texas Tech El Paso

U of Houston
TCU/UNTHSC
Long
UIWSOM

SHSU

and there have been offers of admission from these schools:

U of Houston
UTMB
Baylor
TCU/UNTHSC
UIWSOM
TCOM

SHSU

If you have had at least one interview, you might still get a Match on March 5th.
If you do not interview anywhere by Feb 19th, your TMDSAS cycle will be over for this year.
Maybe you have some AMCAS or AACOMAS applications still in the works; if so, continued good luck on those!

Wysdoc

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
@wysdoc

I interview at Tech El Paso on Feb. 18.
It has taken at least a week for most of the schools I've interviewed at to show up on my TMDSAS rank list.
Do you think with rankings due on Feb. 19 this could be problematic?

Thank you for your wisdom!

@wysdoc

It has taken at least a week for most of the schools I've interviewed at to show up on my TMDSAS rank list.

It does concern me...but at your interview ask them about being sure to update your portal :)
If you don't see it on your TMDSAS portal in the morning of the 19th PM me, I have a TMDSAS contact :)

Members don't see this ad :)
It does concern me...but at your interview ask them about being sure to update your portal :)
If you don't see it on your TMDSAS portal in the morning of the 19th PM me, I have a TMDSAS contact :)
Thank you so much!

@wysdoc

Honestly, I wouldn't sweat it too much. Foster works fast. There are multiple accounts of them ACCEPTING students the morning after their interview. I would be willing to bet they have this covered. Still, it's really nice of @wysdoc to help and you have that reassurance too. Just focus on knocking your interview out of the park! Good luck!

Reactions: 1 user
Honestly, I wouldn't sweat it too much. Foster works fast. There are multiple accounts of them ACCEPTING students the morning after their interview. I would be willing to bet they have this covered. Still, it's really nice of @wysdoc to help and you have that reassurance too. Just focus on knocking your interview out of the park! Good luck!
Thank you! That's extremely reassuring.

• Care
Alrighty! I need some ADVICE!!

My wife has been accepted to an amazing PhD program at A&M in college station. This cycle, I have interviewed at McGovern (Downtown Houston), UTMB (Galveston), SHSU-COM (Conroe), and Texas Tech (Lubbock).

My goal is to rank programs based on quality of program, proximity to my wife's school, and tuition:

- McGovern is an amazing program with a bunch of resources and opportunities in the Texas Medical Center and is only about 1.5 Hours from A&M. This is my clear first choice due to the high quality of the program and the reasonable distance from my wife's school.

- Texas Tech is a great program, but all the way in Lubbock and not close to A&M at all. This is my last choice because of the distance alone.

- UTMB is also an established program with lots of resources and they emphasize a healthy work-life balance, but it is 2.5 hours from college station. I loved this program and had a good interview, but the distance is a stress that I don't want to put on my family if I don't have to.

- Sam Houston is a brand new DO program (1 year old), only 1 hour from A&M, but 35K more per year than the other schools. This school has received pre-accreditation, but is not fully accredited until they graduate their first class in 2024 and I am a little worried about this.

I received a pre-match from Sam Houston, and I thought I was going to rank my schools like:
1. McGovern
2. UTMB
3. Sam Houston
4. Texas Tech

However, I am very concerned about the distance of UTMB from my wife's school in College Station. Therefore, my next choice would be to eliminate that concern by ranking Sam Houston second, above UTMB and Texas Tech. However, I am very timid about Sam Houston being a new program and I am not sure if I would be making a mistake ranking SHSU above UTMB. My goal is to work in primary care, specifically pediatrics, and I know that DO typically produces many more primary care physicians, so ideally Sam Houston would still help me achieve my goals.

At the end of the day I have the make the decision that is best for me and my family, but I would really appreciate some advice from y'all about how to compare the programs given my situation.
Thank you in advance!

My wife has been accepted to an amazing PhD program at A&M in college station. This cycle, I have interviewed at McGovern (Downtown Houston), UTMB (Galveston), SHSU-COM (Conroe), and Texas Tech (Lubbock).

My goal is to rank programs based on quality of program, proximity to my wife's school, and tuition:

- McGovern is an amazing program with a bunch of resources and opportunities in the Texas Medical Center and is only about 1.5 Hours from A&M. This is my clear first choice due to the high quality of the program and the reasonable distance from my wife's school.

- Texas Tech is a great program, but all the way in Lubbock and not close to A&M at all. This is my last choice because of the distance alone.

- UTMB is also an established program with lots of resources and they emphasize a healthy work-life balance, but it is 2.5 hours from college station. I loved this program and had a good interview, but the distance is a stress that I don't want to put on my family if I don't have to.

- Sam Houston is a brand new DO program (1 year old), only 1 hour from A&M, but 35K more per year than the other schools. This school has received pre-accreditation, but is not fully accredited until they graduate their first class in 2024 and I am a little worried about this.

I received a pre-match from Sam Houston, and I thought I was going to rank my schools like:
1. McGovern
2. UTMB
3. Sam Houston
4. Texas Tech

However, I am very concerned about the distance of UTMB from my wife's school in College Station. Therefore, my next choice would be to eliminate that concern by ranking Sam Houston second, above UTMB and Texas Tech. However, I am very timid about Sam Houston being a new program and I am not sure if I would be making a mistake ranking SHSU above UTMB. My goal is to work in primary care, specifically pediatrics, and I know that DO typically produces many more primary care physicians, so ideally Sam Houston would still help me achieve my goals.

At the end of the day I have the make the decision that is best for me and my family, but I would really appreciate some advice from y'all about how to compare the programs given my situation.
Thank you in advance!

No qualms about the first two, it seems the only difficult decision is where to rank the last two. Just my two cents (don't have a family so I can't truly make a good judgement) but unless you plan on visiting family every other week, it seems like it would make more sense to just go to Tech and fly back (will probably cost a few extra hours) when you want. I'd imagine it's cheaper that way than the extra 35k you'd pay (including cost of living in Lubbock vs Conroe) along with the benefit of going to a good MD program. TT-Lubbock has one of the better primary care programs in the state so at this point, it's location vs everything else (which still is a major factor though). However if you don't want the longer commute and would still rather be closer, I think your ranking is good for your goals.

Edit: Shoot, didn't even read the last paragraph. Always considered Houston and Galveston close enough but I've driven a lot in my life where the extra hour isn't that important for me. Um, I think out of all the schools, UTMB is the one that would be best likely to provide that work life balance as you said. Additionally big factor is that it's (true?) P/F so you might not have to spend as much time on academics as the other schools and thus spend more time with family. Unlike Lubbock where I think it could go either way, I definitely think UTMB is worth the longer distance even over family proximity.

Last edited:

1. McGovern
2. UTMB
3. Sam Houston
4. Texas Tech

Thank you in advance!

I would keep UTMB over Sam Houston. It's only an extra hour drive to College Station and would provide you an MD at one of the most established schools, plus like the other poster said P/F might give you more flexibility/ease to spend time with your family. I did not interview at SHSU but from what I've seen, it's clinical sites and curriculum are nowhere near UTMB's level. Something else to think about - DO might provide you a great education and prepare you for primary care, but UTMB might set you apart and give you more edge for residency programs and you'll have a better pick of residency locations - I don't know what your family location situation will be like after 4 years, but something else to think about.
Good luck, I'm sure you and your family will succeed no matter where you go!

I would keep UTMB over Sam Houston. It's only an extra hour drive to College Station and would provide you an MD at one of the most established schools, plus like the other poster said P/F might give you more flexibility/ease to spend time with your family. I did not interview at SHSU but from what I've seen, it's clinical sites and curriculum are nowhere near UTMB's level. Something else to think about - DO might provide you a great education and prepare you for primary care, but UTMB might set you apart and give you more edge for residency programs and you'll have a better pick of residency locations - I don't know what your family location situation will be like after 4 years, but something else to think about.
^^^This^^^
I have a similar decision to make. I've received prematches at SHSU (3 hours away) and Foster in El Paso (8 hours away) as well as acceptance to UIW, which is only 1 hour away from my husband. I also had interviews to consider at UHCOM (3 hours), Tech (6 hours), Long (1 hour), McGovern (3 hours), Baylor (3 hours) TCU-UNT (4 hours) and UTMB (4 hours). I had to decide whether to accept an almost brand new DO program 1 or 3 hours from my husband or to rank Foster higher. In the end, I realized that if I'm going to put so much of my blood, sweat, tears, and sacrifice into this career, I wanted to be at a school that would be the most likely to get me to my end goals. I prioritized my education, and only then organized my rankings by distance. I think one of the reasons this is so much harder this year than other years is because we can't see the facilities, because as said above, UTMB and Tech both have much more to offer than SHSU but it's hard to feel that without seeing them. My husband supported my choice 100% and my rankings (in my head - this included schools that don't participate) became as follows:
1. Long
2. Baylor
3. McGovern
4. UTMB
5. Foster - prematched here
6. Tech
7. TCU-UNT
8. UHCOM
9. UIW
10. SHSU - prematched here

My recommendation to you is to do similarly. Prioritize your education. There will be visits with your wife, and they will be wonderful, but you matter too. My recommendation on your rankings:
1. McGovern
2. UTMB (also remember you can do quite a few clinicals in Houston)
3. Tech
4. SHSU

Good luck in your decision making and in the match!

Reactions: 2 users
Didn't get a prematch so I'm waiting for 3 schools for match day. Should I fill out my FAFSA right now and add all 3 just in case or should I just fill it out after match day?

Do schools get a list of all applicants who matched to a lower-ranked school? I'm curious how schools know whether an applicant ranked them higher than where the applicant matched.

"Applicants are still eligible to receive alternate offers from schools they ranked higher on their list than the match offer they received" -TMDSAS

Members don't see this ad :)
Do schools get a list of all applicants who matched to a lower-ranked school? I'm curious how schools know whether an applicant ranked them higher than where the applicant matched.

"Applicants are still eligible to receive alternate offers from schools they ranked higher on their list than the match offer they received" -TMDSAS
That’s a good question but I don’t know the exact mechanism of it.
TMDSAS is very helpful and open with applicants, but we might not be able to know exactly what the interface and communication is in the other direction (TMDSAS to Med school connection).
That is a connection of trust and confidentiality, just as the trust we place in the application system to be fair to applicants.

Last edited:
No qualms about the first two, it seems the only difficult decision is where to rank the last two. Just my two cents (don't have a family so I can't truly make a good judgement) but unless you plan on visiting family every other week, it seems like it would make more sense to just go to Tech and fly back (will probably cost a few extra hours) when you want. I'd imagine it's cheaper that way than the extra 35k you'd pay (including cost of living in Lubbock vs Conroe) along with the benefit of going to a good MD program. TT-Lubbock has one of the better primary care programs in the state so at this point, it's location vs everything else (which still is a major factor though). However if you don't want the longer commute and would still rather be closer, I think your ranking is good for your goals.

Edit: Shoot, didn't even read the last paragraph. Always considered Houston and Galveston close enough but I've driven a lot in my life where the extra hour isn't that important for me. Um, I think out of all the schools, UTMB is the one that would be best likely to provide that work life balance as you said. Additionally big factor is that it's (true?) P/F so you might not have to spend as much time on academics as the other schools and thus spend more time with family. Unlike Lubbock where I think it could go either way, I definitely think UTMB is worth the longer distance even over family proximity.

^^^This^^^
I have a similar decision to make. I've received prematches at SHSU (3 hours away) and Foster in El Paso (8 hours away) as well as acceptance to UIW, which is only 1 hour away from my husband. I also had interviews to consider at UHCOM (3 hours), Tech (6 hours), Long (1 hour), McGovern (3 hours), Baylor (3 hours) TCU-UNT (4 hours) and UTMB (4 hours). I had to decide whether to accept an almost brand new DO program 1 or 3 hours from my husband or to rank Foster higher. In the end, I realized that if I'm going to put so much of my blood, sweat, tears, and sacrifice into this career, I wanted to be at a school that would be the most likely to get me to my end goals. I prioritized my education, and only then organized my rankings by distance. I think one of the reasons this is so much harder this year than other years is because we can't see the facilities, because as said above, UTMB and Tech both have much more to offer than SHSU but it's hard to feel that without seeing them. My husband supported my choice 100% and my rankings (in my head - this included schools that don't participate) became as follows:
1. Long
2. Baylor
3. McGovern
4. UTMB
5. Foster - prematched here
6. Tech
7. TCU-UNT
8. UHCOM
9. UIW
10. SHSU - prematched here

My recommendation to you is to do similarly. Prioritize your education. There will be visits with your wife, and they will be wonderful, but you matter too. My recommendation on your rankings:
1. McGovern
2. UTMB (also remember you can do quite a few clinicals in Houston)
3. Tech
4. SHSU

Good luck in your decision making and in the match!
Hey y'all. I want to thank you for your advice. This has been such a hard decision, and your comments and stories have really helped.
I think I am going to rank UTMB over SHSU. But I am going to leave McGovern first and TTU-Lubbock last for now. As much as I loved the Lubbock program, living 7 hours away from my wife is not something I think I want to do if I have the chance to live closer and still study medicine. However, y'all made good points about the distance to Galveston being doable and worth the quality of training that I could receive at UTMB.
I have shared my situation with all the doctors I shadowed and have a meeting coming up with with a health professions coach. Hopefully I can be totally content by Feb. 19th! Thank you again!

• Love
Reactions: 5 users
PSA: if you already submitted your rankings, go back and double check. You never know what these spirits be trying.

PSA: if you already submitted your rankings, go back and double check. You never know what these spirits be trying.
Not sure what you mean by that-

However, when you are satisfied with your rank order and submit it, take a screen shot of it and save it on your computer because after Feb 19th it won't be visible to you on your portal any more.

Not sure what you mean by that-

However, when you are satisfied with your rank order and submit it, take a screen shot of it and save it on your computer because after Feb 19th it won't be visible to you on your portal any more.

Like make sure it’s actually submitted. Idk about others but I can occasionally forget to click the submit/confirm button when doing things. So to be safe always double check so you don’t screw yourself out of medical school ( even if you already have prematches)

Like make sure it’s actually submitted. Idk about others but I can occasionally forget to click the submit/confirm button when doing things. So to be safe always double check so you don’t screw yourself out of medical school ( even if you already have prematches)
Lol, then there's me. I probably go to that page and stare at it every day, wondering if I've ranked things right and if I'm going to regret my decisions. For example....

My first Long interviewer was MEAN, but it's an hour from my husband and my home. It's my first choice because of quality and proximity, but am I really right to pick it first when the interviewer made me cry once the interview was over? I really loved McGovern, but it's further away. Should it really be second? And what of that constant back and forth of Tech vs Foster? I picked Foster... was I right?

I never change any of the rankings, but I do stare at them. Not sure what that's about, lol. I'm going to be really happy on the 19th when those choices get locked in and are not allowed to change.

• Care
Lol, then there's me. I probably go to that page and stare at it every day, wondering if I've ranked things right and if I'm going to regret my decisions. For example....

My first Long interviewer was MEAN, but it's an hour from my husband and my home. It's my first choice because of quality and proximity, but am I really right to pick it first when the interviewer made me cry once the interview was over? I really loved McGovern, but it's further away. Should it really be second? And what of that constant back and forth of Tech vs Foster? I picked Foster... was I right?

I never change any of the rankings, but I do stare at them. Not sure what that's about, lol. I'm going to be really happy on the 19th when those choices get locked in and are not allowed to change.
lol 2 IIs, easiest rank job, but not as easy as last cycle haha...

someone from UTMB and A&M take me plzzzzz

• Care
My match rankings:
1. TCOM

that’s it lol, just want people to know if you only got one interview then you are not alone!! Just happy I get to participate in the match at all:)

• Care
Reactions: 17 users
My match rankings:
1. TCOM

that’s it lol, just want people to know if you only got one interview then you are not alone!! Just happy I get to participate in the match at all:)
Good luck! Pulling for you!

• Care
My match rankings:
1. TCOM

Lol this was exactly me 2 cycles ago (see how I referenced my most recent comment), so I totally feel your pain. Good luck! I too am terrified of repeating the misery of that cycle haha

• Care
If I submit rankings in TMDSAS portal now, can I change them at the last minute?

I am traveling Thursday and Friday so I am anxious about not being at a computer when our rankings are due, but I am expecting to hear back from UHCOM about financial aid at the last minute on Thursday or Friday.

Obviously I would like to change them if I am able, but I don't want to risk foregoing my acceptance altogether just because I didn't rank my choices!

If I submit rankings in TMDSAS portal now, can I change them at the last minute?

I am traveling Thursday and Friday so I am anxious about not being at a computer when our rankings are due, but I am expecting to hear back from UHCOM about financial aid at the last minute on Thursday or Friday.

Obviously I would like to change them if I am able, but I don't want to risk foregoing my acceptance altogether just because I didn't rank my choices!

You can change it last minute but don’t risk it.

Yes, up until the last minute on the last day, you can change your rankings. It's very wise that you have some ranks right now, which you'll be able to change, rather than miss out on getting into any medical school because you didn't submit your rankings.

Put in something now. If you decide to change & update it must be done before 5 pm on the 19th

A32232F4-A10B-4C10-B155-1DA446CCDC2E.jpeg

Time to take the bull by the horns!

Y’all, usually I would make a nice long post right about now with lots of details and explanations.

But heck I’m ornery and cold after being without power for 36 hours and yesterday my dang water went off too.
I’m sure lots of you are suffering just as much.

You have had plenty of time to think about your rankings for the Match so go ahead and enter them today. Who knows if you can find an internet connection on deadline day Feb 22nd?

I’m posting what I can from a phone without internet.

Good luck y’all and don’t put it off until the last minute.
Wysdoc

(edited to update to the new deadline Feb 22)

Last edited:
  • Love
  • Care
Reactions: 11 users
View attachment 330433
Time to take the bull by the horns!

Y’all, usually I would make a nice long post right about now with lots of details and explanations.

But heck I’m ornery and cold after being without power for 36 hours and yesterday my dang water went off too.
I’m sure lots of you are suffering just as much.

You have had plenty of time to think about your rankings for the Match so go ahead and enter them today. Who knows if you can find an internet connection on deadline day Feb 19th?

I’m posting what I can from a phone without internet.

Good luck y’all and don’t put it off until the last minute.
Wysdoc
Thank you for all your guidance throughout the cycle @wysdoc ! May you (and everyone who reads this) stay safe and warm through the rest of this crazy winter weather.

Reactions: 4 users
I know I'm probably just being paranoid, but I'll ask anyways. After we enter our numerical rankings and hit "save and submit" - we are done right?

I know I'm probably just being paranoid, but I'll ask anyways. After we enter our numerical rankings and hit "save and submit" - we are done right?
Yes and there should be some message across the top that says your list has been successfully saved.

What did they say to make you cry? That seems very very wrong

We
What did they say to make you cry? That seems very very wrong
Well, looks like neither one of us can pm the other one, lol. I'm really not comfortable explaining here because school representatives really do monitor these threads. It was really vicious though, reminding me I was unworthy and they had better candidates.

• Angry
We

Well, looks like neither one of us can pm the other one, lol. I'm really not comfortable explaining here because school representatives really do monitor these threads. It was really vicious though, reminding me I was unworthy and they had better candidates.
Wow that sounds like a terrible experience! So sorry that happened to you :(

It was pretty rough, but I was really proud of how I held my head up high, remaining professional and confident until AFTER both interviews before I finally cried for a while and binged Bachelor reruns. Either one of two things happened... Either A) It was a stress interview and I handled it like a boss, in which case I might still get in here, or B) The decision was made before I turned on my decision that morning, in which case I won't be going there, but why would I WANT to go to a place where interviewers treat applicants like that, deciding before they even meet me? If I can't go to San Antonio and become a doctor, I guess I'll just go to the Houston area or to El Paso and... become a doctor. Either way, I'm going to be a doctor and this will just be a tiny bump on the road.

• Care
How do you think you will do it being away from the husband?

This is something I started thinking about once I submitted my rank list. Tech is my first since my wife is at the med school there. She really can't move. If I don't get into tech, I'll have to move and that's gonna suck....
Well, it sounds much harder for you than for me since your wife is also in med school, so both of your time will be severely limited, but my husband will be coming to visit as often as he can, we'll Zoom often, we may eat supper together via Zoom, and when I'm off for a break, I'm going to be with him, whether that's in my home or his. He stresses all the time that I'm not leaving him, I'm going to medical school, and we are at least telling ourselves that absence really does make the heart grow fonder. Sure, there are things about it that will stink, but couples have done harder things than this and survived, like military deployments or when sailors/astronauts would leave for months to years at a time. Watch Away on Netflix if you haven't already- it's really good and in an odd way, also inspiring to see how the members of the main couple lean on others around them but also never forget that their partner still loves and supports them. We will have support because our med school classmates will become like family. We can do this.

• Care
Reactions: 3 users
Well, it sounds much harder for you than for me since your wife is also in med school, so both of your time will be severely limited, but my husband will be coming to visit as often as he can, we'll Zoom often, we may eat supper together via Zoom, and when I'm off for a break, I'm going to be with him, whether that's in my home or his. He stresses all the time that I'm not leaving him, I'm going to medical school, and we are at least telling ourselves that absence really does make the heart grow fonder. Sure, there are things about it that will stink, but couples have done harder things than this and survived, like military deployments or when sailors/astronauts would leave for months to years at a time. Watch Away on Netflix if you haven't already- it's really good and in an odd way, also inspiring to see how the members of the main couple lean on others around them but also never forget that their partner still loves and supports them. We will have support because our med school classmates will become like family. We can do this.
I love your outlook and your attitude! Y'all sound like a strong couple <3

• Love
Due to so many Texans being without power and/or internet this week, the deadline for submission of your TMDSAS rank list is now Monday, Feb 22. Match Day is still listed as March 5th.

Screen Shot 2021-02-18 at 11.26.21 AM.png

Last edited:
Reactions: 6 users
@wysdoc Received an email from TMDSAS reminding about match rankings. I am OOS, so match not applicable. But this sentence makes me concerned "Applicants who fail to enter a match preference rank by the deadline will automatically be withdrawn from all schools."

@wysdoc Received an email from TMDSAS reminding about match rankings. I am OOS, so match not applicable. But this sentence makes me concerned "Applicants who fail to enter a match preference rank by the deadline will automatically be withdrawn from all schools."
That is true for Texas in-state applicants. As an OOS applicant you are considered separately.
Does the rank thing even show up on your portal?

That is true for Texas in-state applicants. As an OOS applicant you are considered separately.
Does the rank thing even show up on your portal?
No it doesn't, but when they make a statement that all applications will be withdrawn if you don't rank, it is scary.

No it doesn't, but when they make a statement that all applications will be withdrawn if you don't rank, it is scary.
Well, there is another statement at the bottom of the email that says "Non-Texas residents, MD/PhD, DO/PhD, MD/MBA and Assured Acceptance Program applicants are NOT included in the match process"

Hey guys, I am between ranking long and dell medical school. Which one do you guys suggest I should rank higher?
I like Austin and all, but long seems to be a more established program with better match outcomes.
However, Dell has P/F, which is a big draw for me.
I am really quite torn.

Hey guys, I am between ranking long and dell medical school. Which one do you guys suggest I should rank higher?
I like Austin and all, but long seems to be a more established program with better match outcomes.
I am really quite torn.
What do you think of Dell's more innovative approach? It isn't as established, but it's already becoming quite respected. I think you could get a great match out of either.

In case the power fails, I just submitted my final TMDSAS rankings (and not changing my mind about them) and advise those with power to do the same! Nonetheless, best of luck to y'all fellow Texans. May the match be ever in your favor! Stay warm and physically distant!!! :)

• Love
I am really quite torn.
If Dell would've given me an interview, I would've ranked it first over any other school. I really like the idea of third-year being able to explore whatever interest you have (research, MPH, MBA, etc). I feel like it will make your residency application really strong and competitive. Dell has only one class it's graduated so far, so it's hard to gauge their match success but I think they are a really great school. Their staff come from high-ranking medical institutions and talking to current students, it seemed like they really enjoy it there. Being able to take clinicals before STEP 1 seems very helpful and I really like the emphasis on teamwork and engagement with students and instructors. Having a class size of 50 is great because it's more one-on-one time with profs. Plus, their medical school is really beautiful too so that's a plus. An added plus is living in Austin. I loved living there, and hope to return one day.

I’m struggling to rank Tech El Paso, Tech Lubbock, and UTMB. Help please!

UTMB pros
Most established/better match
More research
Good curriculum
UTMB cons
didnt vibe with the school/students/faculty
Old campus
Sketchy housing(according to current student)
1 hr from airport

Tech Lubbock pros
Newer campus and anatomy lab
Collaborative/chill environment/students
Close to airport
City seems like good amount of lively and calm
No traffic
Tech Lubbock cons
Multi-campus clinicals
Less established
Traditional curriculum

Tech El Paso pros
Emphasis serving Latinx community
Amazing curriculum and longitudinal clinicals
Great interactions with interviewers
Close to airport
Tech El Paso cons
9 hours from family
Less established
Unsure how new the med school facility and anatomy lab is

I was about to rank El Paso>UTMB>Lubbock. But now I’m second guessing and thinking of moving Lubbock to the top! I don’t know if I’m being silly for ranking UTMB low, it’s just that something about it doesn’t excite me as much as my other schools. Any advice or similar experiences welcome.

Status
Not open for further replies.