The Republic of Texas XXXIX: Pretty words are not always true, and True words are not always pretty.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
How would y'all rank the Tech schools?

I interviewed at Lubbock a few weeks ago and will interview at El Paso soon.

Any thoughts or advice would be appreciated! Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I feel like they are both awesome and honestly, I would rank based on location. El paso would definitely be more diverse than lubbock. Both great programs

Reactions: 1 users

They're both great but from what I've picked up Tech Lubbock offers NBME prep starting day 1 and El Paso doesn't. However at El Paso, you have more exposure to global health + learning medical Spanish (which is pretty cool imo).

Members don't see this ad :)
So what's y'all's rankings looking like?
Sooo, in order of every Texas school I interviewed at, not just TMDSAS:
1 Long
2 Baylor
3 McGovern
4 UTMB
5 Foster - prematch!
6 Tech
7 UHCOM
8 TCU-UNT
9 SHSU - prematch!
10 UIW - accepted

What does your list look like?

1 Long
2 Baylor
3 McGovern
4 UTMB
5 Foster - prematch!
6 Tech
7 UHCOM
8 TCU-UNT
9 SHSU - prematch!
10 UIW - accepted

Why Long over Baylor?

Why Long over Baylor?
I live an hour from there and my husband can't move with me because of work. I'd love to go to either school, but love most of all to stay home AND go to an incredible school. Honestly, I'd be thrilled to go to any in my top five, including my prematch at Foster. The others are just closer to home.

Here's what my rank list currently looks like (Still subject to change in the next 2 weeks haha):
1: Texas Tech - Lubbock (Pre-Match + Sweet Scholarship)
2: UT-Southwestern
3: McGovern (Pre-Match)
4: Long
5: Texas Tech - El Paso (Pre-Match)
6: UTMB

Here's what my rank list currently looks like (Still subject to change in the next 2 weeks haha):
1: Texas Tech - Lubbock (Pre-Match + Sweet Scholarship)
2: UT-Southwestern
3: McGovern (Pre-Match)
4: Long
5: Texas Tech - El Paso (Pre-Match)
6: UTMB
you got a mean green raider scholarship.....congrats!

• Love
Reactions: 1 user
1 Long
2 Baylor
3 McGovern
4 UTMB
5 Foster - prematch!
6 Tech
7 UHCOM
8 TCU-UNT
9 SHSU - prematch!
10 UIW - accepted

and somehow, A&M discarded your app? lmaooooooo what a crapshoot

Members don't see this ad :)
No, you're totally fine. I don't have a problem with my age. I'm in the best health of my life, physically, mentally and spiritually. My eyes just crinkle a bit more when I smile. :)
fair enough haha.. can you PM me? I have a question

Are interviews pretty much over at this point?

Are interviews pretty much over at this point?
TCU/ UNTHSC says they interview through March, but I don’t know if they are done inviting.
UIWSOM and SHSU seem to still be inviting.
Interviews are over for sure at UTSW, UTRGV, and Long (last day tomorrow).
Foster last interview day is 2/18.
These are the ones I’m sure of, anyone having facts is welcome to chime in.
Wysdoc

Reactions: 2 users
TCU/ UNTHSC says they interview through March, but I don’t know if they are done inviting.
Wysdoc
As far as I know, TCU's final interview date is April 5, and it looked like they filled that date based on the activity of the SDN forums. My guess is they're holding on to a few more apps in the event of cancellations, since some of those dates fall after the Match Day in Texas.

Wysdoc
Interviews are done for texas tech lubbock as well. Friend is a student involved in interviewing students

Wysdoc

I got an email yesterday from McGovern saying they have concluded their interviews for this cycle and my app is no longer being considered

Wysdoc
Thanks, this is super helpful! I did talk to someone in admissions at UTRGV a few weeks ago and they told me they were 6 weeks behind and would be interviewing until match day. He also told me there’s a chance to be interviewed after because seats open up but I’m thinking that’s pretty rare (although he did say someone interviewed in June last year and got in) 🤔

Thanks, this is super helpful! I did talk to someone in admissions at UTRGV a few weeks ago and they told me they were 6 weeks behind and would be interviewing until match day. He also told me there’s a chance to be interviewed after because seats open up but I’m thinking that’s pretty rare (although he did say someone interviewed in June last year and got in) 🤔
Today isn't April 1st buddy....

Thanks for chiming in- sometimes the person answering the phone at the admissions office isn’t well informed though.
So I will correct some misinformation:
**Nobody can interview for a TMDSAS school beyond the deadline for rank list submission (this year it's Feb 19th).
** It’s possible that someone got in from a WL in June to UTRGV, but not that they interviewed in June.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
My final rankings
1. Long
2. A&M
3. TCOM
4. SHSU

No prematches and I've been waitlisted at 3 DO schools so I am vv nervous for match day. Trying not to read the horror stories about people getting 4+ IIs and still not matching lol. I really would be happy at any school.

Last edited:
  • Care
Reactions: 6 users
This is kinda random, but do y'all know if schools look at rec letters and CASPer scores before or after an interview?

This is kinda random, but do y'all know if schools look at rec letters and CASPer scores before or after an interview?
UTMB heavily looks at casper before the interview (not sure about after). In their courage session, they stated that they don't use LORs pre-interview, but they use them post-interview when deciding on acceptances. For other schools, don't know haha

UTMB heavily looks at casper before the interview (not sure about after). In their courage session, they stated that they don't use LORs pre-interview, but they use them post-interview when deciding on acceptances. For other schools, don't know haha
lol thanks I was wondering if the schools I interviewed at knew I was crazy beforehand

• Haha
lol thanks I was wondering if the schools I interviewed at knew I was crazy beforehand
If it helps, I think some other Texas schools just use Casper as a check the box requirement for matriculation.

My ranking:

1. UTSW
2. McGovern
3. Long ( prematch)
4. Dell
5. UTMB ( prematch)
6.TAMU (prematch)

Hi all! I was curious if anyone had any opinions on ranking TAMU vs Long. I got into EnMed if that makes a difference, but am somewhat hesitant of the whole engineering part of it, hence the ranking issue.

Hi all! I was curious if anyone had any opinions on ranking TAMU vs Long. I got into EnMed if that makes a difference, but am somewhat hesitant of the whole engineering part of it, hence the ranking issue.

Why did you apply enmed in the first place if you didn’t want to do engineering. I would say go to Long so that somebody else who loves both side can be accepted into Enmed.

Why did you apply enmed in the first place if you didn’t want to do engineering. I would say go to Long so that somebody else who loves both side can be accepted into Enmed.
I like engineering, just trying to figure out if there is any notable thing I would be missing out on by not going to a "traditional" med school. As these two schools seem similar to me with regards to prestige and whatnot, I figured they would be ok for comparison.

Last edited:
My ranking:

1. UTSW
2. McGovern
3. Long ( prematch)
4. Dell
5. UTMB ( prematch)
6.TAMU (prematch)
sheesh brother was your LizzyM score 1000000 haha? big congrats on your cycle

My final TMDSAS rankings:
1. UTMB (full ride + prematch)
2. UTSW
3. Long
4. McGovern
5. A&M (prematch)
6. UTRGV
7. Foster
8. TTUHSC
9. SHSU (prematch)

Happy Ranking's Y'all :)

Congratulations with the full ride. If you don’t mind me asking was it a merit based scholarship or need based?

Thank you!! It was Merit-based!

I’m assuming your gpa was 3.9+ and MCAT in the 520s?
Just asking cuz I’m disappointed that I’m not receiving any offers?

Out of curiosity, what's the point of ranking anything below a prematch?

My rankings (definitely won't be changing):
1. UTSW (pm + full coa)
2. McGovern (pm)
3. Long (pm + full tuition)
4. UH (pm)

Declined A&M, Dell, and UTMB (w/ scholarship) prematches. Baylor's not included but I will also be declining it (w/ full tuition). I'm already certain about my choice, but I'm curious if y'all choose UTSW (full coa) over Baylor (full tuition)?

Out of curiosity, what's the point of ranking anything below a prematch?
Well, there's not a whole lot of point other than being required. We could just randomly assign numbers under prematch, but in case the schools are ever curious where they stand or use the data aggregated for anything, it might be helpful.

1. UTSW (pm + full coa)
2. McGovern (pm)
4. UH (pm)

Declined A&M, Dell, and UTMB (w/ scholarship) prematches. Baylor's not included but I will also be declining it (w/ full tuition). I'm already certain about my choice, but I'm curious if y'all choose UTSW (full coa) over Baylor (full tuition)?
UTSW full COA. Living costs can add up significantly in Houston (but it's still better than other major cities). This is also because UTSW=Baylor in pretty much anything so they'll open the same doors for you.

1. UTSW (pm + full coa)
2. McGovern (pm)
4. UH (pm)

You didn’t hear anything from McGovern about scholarships?

1. UTSW (pm + full coa)
2. McGovern (pm)
4. UH (pm)

BEAST MODE CYCLE

• Haha
1. UTSW (pm + full coa)
2. McGovern (pm)
4. UH (pm)

The legend of tmdsas

• Haha
You didn’t hear anything from McGovern about scholarships?
No. Maybe they dole those out after the match because I have not heard about anyone getting anything from them.

Status
Not open for further replies.