The Republic of Texas XXXIX: Pretty words are not always true, and True words are not always pretty.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I’m struggling to rank Tech El Paso, Tech Lubbock, and UTMB. Help please!

UTMB pros
Most established/better match
More research
Good curriculum
UTMB cons
didnt vibe with the school/students/faculty
Old campus
Sketchy housing(according to current student)
1 hr from airport

Tech Lubbock pros
Newer campus and anatomy lab
Collaborative/chill environment/students
Close to airport
City seems like good amount of lively and calm
No traffic
Tech Lubbock cons
Multi-campus clinicals
Less established
Traditional curriculum

Tech El Paso pros
Emphasis serving Latinx community
Amazing curriculum and longitudinal clinicals
Great interactions with interviewers
Close to airport
Tech El Paso cons
9 hours from family
Less established
Unsure how new the med school facility and anatomy lab is

I was about to rank El Paso>UTMB>Lubbock. But now I’m second guessing and thinking of moving Lubbock to the top! I don’t know if I’m being silly for ranking UTMB low, it’s just that something about it doesn’t excite me as much as my other schools. Any advice or similar experiences welcome.
From what you wrote, it seems like youre more for el paso than for lubbock. Also, depending on the specialty you want, maybe UTMB may give you the best opportunities especially since step is pass fail

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
I’m struggling to rank Tech El Paso, Tech Lubbock, and UTMB. Help please!

UTMB pros
Most established/better match
More research
Good curriculum
UTMB cons
didnt vibe with the school/students/faculty
Old campus
Sketchy housing(according to current student)
1 hr from airport

Tech Lubbock pros
Newer campus and anatomy lab
Collaborative/chill environment/students
Close to airport
City seems like good amount of lively and calm
No traffic
Tech Lubbock cons
Multi-campus clinicals
Less established
Traditional curriculum

Tech El Paso pros
Emphasis serving Latinx community
Amazing curriculum and longitudinal clinicals
Great interactions with interviewers
Close to airport
Tech El Paso cons
9 hours from family
Less established
Unsure how new the med school facility and anatomy lab is

I was about to rank El Paso>UTMB>Lubbock. But now I’m second guessing and thinking of moving Lubbock to the top! I don’t know if I’m being silly for ranking UTMB low, it’s just that something about it doesn’t excite me as much as my other schools. Any advice or similar experiences welcome.
in reference to UTMB housing, you can get anything from a low cost apartment to an ocean front condo, or rent a small house. The UTMB-affliated frat house might be the sketchy housing you refer to.

in reference to UTMB housing, you can get anything from a low cost apartment to an ocean front condo, or rent a small house. The UTMB-affliated frat house might be the sketchy housing you refer to.
May be referring to the flooding issues a lot of areas on the island face. The faculty + students talked about that a lot during my preview day.

Members don't see this ad :)
May be referring to the flooding issues a lot of areas on the island face. The faculty + students talked about that a lot during my preview day.
I would agree that when you are looking at housing it is important to ask whether that building flooded during the last few recent tropical storms.

Reactions: 2 users
I would agree that when you are looking at housing it is important to ask whether that building flooded during the last few recent tropical storms.
Yup, one of the presenters talked about that explicitly haha

Hey guys, I am between ranking long and dell medical school. Which one do you guys suggest I should rank higher?
I like Austin and all, but long seems to be a more established program with better match outcomes.
However, Dell has P/F, which is a big draw for me.
I am really quite torn.

Id go dell. Austin is truly an amazing city that will bring in a wide variety of patient population and pathology. Dell also might just be getting started but it is definitely going to be huge in the near future. It is already attracting some very highly respected faculty members. I would honestly be very surprised if anyone from dell had trouble matching 4 years from now.

Reactions: 2 users
Texas TMDSAS pardners:

Friday morning, March 5th, you will get your Match news from TMDSAS. See it by logging in to your portal after 8am.

I wish you all the best. The chance to study medicine is a wonderful privilege.

Even if you get the dreaded message "no match", a lot can happen between now and med school orientation time, with invitations to join a class from a wait list. Remember, there are a good number of sought-after applicants with more than one pre-match offer from Texas schools. They will emerge from Match Day with only one school, so those "extra" spots offered to them will be matched to someone else. Maybe you!

No matter what happens Friday, you are still the same smart, ambitious person you were today and your mama still loves you!

Wysdoc

IMG_3873.jpg

• Love
  • Care
Reactions: 43 users
This wait for match day feels like waiting to get drafted in the NFL or something

Reactions: 11 users
This wait for match day feels like waiting to get drafted in the NFL or something
undrafted free agent coming in........im just tryna make the practice squad at this point

• Haha
Reactions: 7 users
Members don't see this ad :)
@wysdoc so we waiting until 12 am to see if we get any acceptances emails? Or we sleeping early to wake up for work tomorrow?

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user
@wysdoc so we waiting until 12 am to see if we get any acceptances emails? Or we sleeping early to wake up for work tomorrow?
Oh heck yeah I’ll check in at midnight. (Nothin' happened LOL. I was confusing this with the first pre-match day when sometimes schools send offers after midnight.)

So everyone, I would love it if you share your news on this thread or on the individual school threads tomorrow.

Remember some of our SDN buddies might not match, so be kind & don’t push for information if you notice someone hasn’t posted tomorrow.

Anyone who has had an interview still could get in later from a WL.

Last edited:
Reactions: 13 users
Working the night shift right now and damn my anxiety is crazy right now lol. Time is going by so slow and I feel like I’m moving 1 mph

Reactions: 4 users
Dude, the minutes are just CRAWLING by! T - 10 minutes!

• Haha
  • Wow
Texas A&M! I prematched here and ranked #1 so not much of a surprise, but still very thrilling to open up the tab.

Reactions: 7 users
Very saddened to say I didn't match anywhere today. Good luck to anyone else who is still waiting. To those who have been in contact with me for the last several months, good luck to you all, you know who you are.

• Care
  • Sad
Reactions: 15 users
4 II and no match, sick and tired of this whole thing man

• Care
  • Sad
Reactions: 16 users
I matched to UTMB! Following the legacy of sooo many doctors who came before me! I can hardly wait to lay eyes on the red building once again!

• Love
Reactions: 11 users
Hi, seeking clarity on how WL's work. So based on TMDSAS, it says we now enter into the "rolling admissions" phase of the cycle. Are we automatically put on the WL of a school we didn't match to? Will the school contact us if we are waitlisted? When is the last day we can be accepted off a waitlist (I read on TMDSAS that it's up until orientation start of the school, but then I also read on one of the school's websites that the national day someone can be pulled off is May 15th)? Many thanks in advance.

Interviewed at Lubbock and Mcgovern and no match. Will start working on my letter of intent. How disappointing. Congrats to everyone that matched. 510mcat and 3.96gpa. Wish I knew how casper test factored into this equation.

• Care
  • Love
Reactions: 9 users
damn still cant believe i matched........lifes crazy bless up everyone.... and for those without anything.......remember how you feel in this moment and use this as fuel & keep that head up high

• Love
Reactions: 6 users
Matched today as a third time reapplicant! Had 4 interviews last cycle and didn't match. It sucked. If anyone wants to talk or is curious about how I improved my app PM me. I have a below average GPA and above average MCAT. ORM

• Love
  • Care
Reactions: 12 users
No match, watching out for the waitlist and I'll take the next step from their.

• Care
Reactions: 4 users
Matched today as a third time reapplicant! Had 4 interviews last cycle and didn't match. It sucked. If anyone wants to talk or is curious about how I improved my app PM me. I have a below average GPA and above average MCAT. ORM
+1 this was me last year as well (first time reapplicant this year); didn't really get to improve any areas on my app because of the pandemic but re-applied anyway...totally worth it! my heart goes out to those on the waitlist (I feel yall 100%) let me know if I can help in anyway!

matched to PLFSOM!

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: 5 users
No match, surprised and disappointed but hopeful about maybe getting WL. Just throwing this out there so other people in this position know they aren't alone. We did our best and that's worth being proud of. <3

• Care
Reactions: 13 users
No match, surprised and disappointed but hopeful about maybe getting WL. Just throwing this out there so other people in this position know they aren't alone. We did our best and that's worth being proud of. <3
This is my second time applying tmdsas, so I’m right there with you. I’m honestly really devastated, having invested the past 6 years of my life even trying to get into an MD program. I’m not sure if this match process is what it used to be, definitely seems like it’s gotten difficult to match without a prematch. I luckily have a few decent DO options out of state where I may attend if I can’t get anything in Texas, but I honestly feel robbed and cheated by this process. Of course, you and I may get some good luck soon so there’s that.

I almost quit pursuing medicine after my last cycle and almost did the same again back in December because nothing was working despite all my effort. I stuck with it because I just didn’t want to regret not trying and looking back at this 10 years from now. As you pointed out, we did our best, and I guess that’s enough reassurance. I certainly didn’t want to drop this career without giving my full effort.

• Care
Reactions: 12 users
This is my second time applying tmdsas, so I’m right there with you. I’m honestly really devastated, having invested the past 6 years of my life even trying to get into an MD program. I’m not sure if this match process is what it used to be, definitely seems like it’s gotten difficult to match without a prematch. I luckily have a few decent DO options out of state where I may attend if I can’t get anything in Texas, but I honestly feel robbed and cheated by this process. Of course, you and I may get some good luck soon so there’s that.

I almost quit pursuing medicine after my last cycle and almost did the same again back in December because nothing was working despite all my effort. I stuck with it because I just didn’t want to regret not trying and looking back at this 10 years from now. As you pointed out, we did our best, and I guess that’s enough reassurance. I certainly didn’t want to drop this career without giving my full effort.
Same yo. Getting nothing out of 4 interviews just makes me want to stop wasting my time with medicine altogether

• Care
Same yo. Getting nothing out of 4 interviews just makes me want to stop wasting my time with medicine altogether
Major facts dude. I even saw a guy not match with very high stats and 7 interviews. It’s more like the lotto not a match lol

• Wow
Reactions: 5 users
Out of state here. Thought I would hear back from schools on match day. Any idea when OOS'ers will hear back?

If you don't match as IS, what are the probability we will get WL offers from TX schools?
A school interview ~1000 students and selects ~200 for their class (realize students have multiple II) so only top ~30% interviewed students get accepted any year.
Aren't we looking at a extreme fortune of we being called from WL for students that leave for Baylor or other AMCAS schools?
I don't want to sound too pessimistic, but being a reapplicant previously, I thought match for me was only chance to get an A and if not reapply or consider something else.

Wish good luck to everyone still waiting and at least hope some of us to hear an acceptance.

Last edited:
How y'all doing?

For those who didn't match, it's a rough time. Wait lists will be formed and some of you will get your admission over the next 3 months. Hang in there!

I made 2 long posts over on our official TMDSAS questions thread, head over there to read about
What happens now after Match Day #733
and
What happens if you have a TMDSAS offer AND an AMCAS offer #749

Wysdoc

If you don't match as IS, what are the probability we will get WL offers from TX schools?
A school interview ~1000 students and selects ~200 for their class (realize students have multiple II) so only top ~30% interviewed students get accepted any year.
Aren't we looking at a extreme fortune of we being called from WL for students that leave for Baylor or other AMCAS schools?
I don't want to sound too pessimistic, but being a reapplicant previously, I thought match was only chance to get an A and if not reapply or consider something else.

Wish good luck to everyone still waiting and at least hope some of us to hear an acceptance.
@medschool202xapplicant you're right, that chances seem small now that you didn't end up matching.

So WL spots will open up if someone who matched gives up their spot for an AMCAS (or AACOMAS) school, or who can't attend for some other reason.
Last stats I saw were that about 250 Texans a year matriculate to an OOS school, and add on 148 Texans who choose Baylor (AMCAS) over their TMDSAS Match school.

Seeing those numbers should help you feel you still have a fighting chance.

Which schools offer file reviews for applicants who weren't accepted/interviewed?

Which schools offer file reviews for applicants who weren't accepted/interviewed?
In past years UTMB, Long, Texas Tech El Paso, and Texas Tech Lubbock have held reapplicant workshops.
These seem to be helpful in knowing what to improve, but I don't believe they are specific reviews of your file.

TCOM and UTRGV have file reviews (that I know of from last year)

TCOM sends out a file review form to rejected applicants, and I had to specifically email admissions at UTRGV for a file review last year

@medschool202xapplicant you're right, that chances seem small now that you didn't end up matching.

So WL spots will open up if someone who matched gives up their spot for an AMCAS (or AACOMAS) school, or who can't attend for some other reason.
Last stats I saw were that about 250 Texans a year matriculate to an OOS school, and add on 148 Texans who choose Baylor (AMCAS) over their TMDSAS Match school.

Seeing those numbers should help you feel you still have a fighting chance.
I understand ~400 seats open up, but wouldn't texas have 4500+ WL of non-accepted interviewed students this year. Most schools have already ranked WL and everything is out of your control.

I understand ~400 seats open up, but wouldn't texas have 4500+ WL of non-accepted interviewed students this year. Most schools have already ranked WL and everything is out of your control.
No because you have 6000+ apps this year and vast majority do not receive an interview. I know utmb historically puts 200 on their alt list (unranked).

No because you have 6000+ apps this year and vast majority do not receive an interview. I know utmb historically puts 200 on their alt list (unranked).
You may be right, instead of 4500, there may be only half the waitlist out of there. However my point was the slim probability and how little we control we have (except waiting and scrolling emails).

Can y'all please suggest questions we should ask during a file review?

Status
Not open for further replies.