The Support Group - A place for admissions-related rants and worries.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I just hate when premed students look down on prevet students, or view vet school as a back up if med school doesn't pan out...I know one premed student who decided on premed instead of prevet because human med is "more prestigious and has more of a positive impact on the world"

Well. It IS more prestigious. If you're going into medicine for the prestige (which personally I think is a poor motive, but I 'spose I won't judge someone for it, so long as they are also a competent doctor), human med is the route.

I think the 'positive impact' is questionable, though. Where do people think those human doctors get all their technology from that they use to impact human lives? It sure doesn't usually go straight from a lab bench into humans.

A few weeks back I was caring for goats whose legs were broken as part of a study investigating what types of implanted hardware work best. Who is having the more positive impact: the one doctor who uses the hardware, or the one vet who participated in the study that allows thousands of doctors to have a new tool in their arsenal? Seems to me the vet has more far-reaching impact than any individual doctor in that scenario, the vet just won't get recognized for the contribution.

Members don't see this ad.

Bisbee you are so sweet to think of me :love:
I totally have high hopes for you too, my fellow upstater ;) I can't believe you've heard NOTHING! What torture...What schools are you applying to? If I don't get in this year, I may try for Cornell next year... GASP. A slightly frightening thought....
HOPEFULLY we will both be going somewhere next year, but if not, maybe our paths will cross at Cornell one year (or in our dreams... :rofl:)

And yes, this thread is amazing. I can't express how awesome it is to have people supporting you and to support everyone else. Not only does it make this process bearable, but it makes me absolutely sure that I am going to do everything in my power to try and try again, no matter what... :xf:
Very true! Its nice to know that we're not alone going through this scary process.

SDN is way better than Facebook!

JMJ (short for Jemapellejane if you don't mind) - I applied to Tufts, Penn and Cornell. I don't want to move away from the Northeast because of my family. I guess I'll hear something from Cornell after the first of the year and Tufts within a few weeks. As for Penn...they state upfront that it could be a long process. I do hope to hear sooner than later, though, from them since others already have gotten interviews (and also rejected...at least I'm still in the running). Thanks for the reciprocal support!

Members don't see this ad :)
Bisbee you're too nice! Thanks for rooting for me. Still no news. I hope you hear something real soon and that it's good news.

This site is awesome! Everyone is so supportive and it's great to have others to go through the process with.

JMJ (short for Jemapellejane if you don't mind) - I applied to Tufts, Penn and Cornell. I don't want to move away from the Northeast because of my family. I guess I'll hear something from Cornell after the first of the year and Tufts within a few weeks. As for Penn...they state upfront that it could be a long process. I do hope to hear sooner than later, though, from them since others already have gotten interviews (and also rejected...at least I'm still in the running). Thanks for the reciprocal support!

I am right there with you Bisbee! I am hoping to stay close to my family in the Northeast as well... a bunch of people from my school heard from Penn today about interviews, so I am hoping I still have a chance :xf: Good luck to you! :luck:

The epic lack of news this week is making my brain hurt.

I mean, not that I'm complaining about the lack of rejection letters...I'd just really love an interview for my birthday/Christmas.

The epic lack of news this week is making my brain hurt.

I mean, not that I'm complaining about the lack of rejection letters...I'd just really love an interview for my birthday/Christmas.

All I want for Christmas is an acceptance! :laugh: :xf:

Spoon - On a rainy, nasty weather day like this I wonder why I want to stay in the Northeast, but family is #1 for me, even above becoming a veterinarian (I know...that is blasphemy on here, but what can I say?) But really, I grew up in the NYC/NJ area and now live in NY Finger Lakes. I need to be near enough for weekend trips for family support or I'd never make it. I wish you luck in getting into somewhere close to home, too! It won't be long now until we know what's what. At least we'll have the holidays to distract us until then.

Spoon - On a rainy, nasty weather day like this I wonder why I want to stay in the Northeast, but family is #1 for me, even above becoming a veterinarian (I know...that is blasphemy on here, but what can I say?) But really, I grew up in the NYC/NJ area and now live in NY Finger Lakes. I need to be near enough for weekend trips for family support or I'd never make it. I wish you luck in getting into somewhere close to home, too! It won't be long now until we know what's what. At least we'll have the holidays to distract us until then.

Family is #1 for me too! I have an interview at Western, which I am really excited about.. but to be honest I don't know if moving to California is even realistic for me (I live in MA).. I guess if I get accepted and don't get good news from any other schools I will have to make some big decisions! I have a baby nephew though and a younger half-sister who really depends on me (her mom passed away) so I just cannot imagine not being able to see my family regularly, that is the main reason why I didn't apply to any international schools.

If you can afford it, you should probably go to the Western interview, at least for practice. Getting that interview is also a good sign that you are a very competitive applicant, so let's hope you hear good news from the nearby schools soon. It would be too hard to move away from the most important people. And the little ones grow up so fast, you'd miss so much of that if you weren't around.

Yeah I am going to the interview! My mom is actually from LA so she is very excited that she gets to tag along and show me around California :) plus we will get to visit some family while we are out there... and of course the interview itself will be fantastic practice, plus I have a great friend who goes to Western! (lots of positives about going :)) I hope we both hear back from some schools close to home at some point soon!

Family is #1 for me too! I have an interview at Western, which I am really excited about.. but to be honest I don't know if moving to California is even realistic for me (I live in MA).. I guess if I get accepted and don't get good news from any other schools I will have to make some big decisions! I have a baby nephew though and a younger half-sister who really depends on me (her mom passed away) so I just cannot imagine not being able to see my family regularly, that is the main reason why I didn't apply to any international schools.
Not sure what you mean by "regularly", but I barely see my WIFE regularly in vet school. Go to California. Expand your horizons.

Not sure what you mean by "regularly", but I barely see my WIFE regularly in vet school. Go to California. Expand your horizons.

The holdup probably shouldn't be location, but it might be money. Western is pricy.

Whyevernot, arggggggggggggh! You are totally due for good news. I'm glad you applied to OK - hopefully you can get an acceptance here. And somewhere else. And then you will have a choice!

Members don't see this ad :)

Speaking as another married person: :thumbup:

Once in a while I text my wife to make sure we're still living together.

My parents, who are local, and I like? I saw them .... maybe three times this semester. Briefly.

Bisbee- I hear you. I'm actually willing to go anywhere, and thrilled about it. But, my hopes for you are high and I truly hope you get into one of your schools :xf:
The Finger Lakes are gorgeous and not far from me! I think you mentioned this before, but which lake are you near??

Spoon- I'm totally pulling for you. I know it's hard to be away from family. Have you ever lived away from them? It's totally a great experience living in different places. If Western is the only school you get accepted to (i hope not!), will you still go?? I'd hope so, but that's just one girl's opinion ;)

JMJ - I live with my husband and two newfies (cute like yours...newfies, not husband) near Corning. So, I am closest to Keuka and Seneca Lakes, though Canandaigua is my favorite (in fact I was shopping in Canandaigua yesterday). I was at the Eastview Mall last week doing Build-A-Bear Workshop with the kids. There's no way I could go far, far away to vet school. I am too old and set in my ways and too attached to my life and support system. If I was young like the rest of you it would be a different story. But I guess I can only do what I can do given who I am and where I am in my life. I'm still hopeful for Cornell. If not, then I would venture as far as Tufts or Penn.

JMJ - I live with my husband and two newfies (cute like yours...newfies, not husband) near Corning. So, I am closest to Keuka and Seneca Lakes, though Canandaigua is my favorite (in fact I was shopping in Canandaigua yesterday). I was at the Eastview Mall last week doing Build-A-Bear Workshop with the kids. There's no way I could go far, far away to vet school. I am too old and set in my ways and too attached to my life and support system. If I was young like the rest of you it would be a different story. But I guess I can only do what I can do given who I am and where I am in my life. I'm still hopeful for Cornell. If not, then I would venture as far as Tufts or Penn.

No way, you were at Eastview?! So funny, it's like a 15 min drive :) I don't venture in that direction this time of year because it is just absolute insanity, but I hope you had a good time! How funny it would be if we were there at the same time- we'd never even know!! :laugh:

Well, if we both get in we should meet at Biaggi's or PF Changs for a celebratory lunch!

Happy birthday/Christmas, Whyevernot. Hope you receive a nice present in the mail soon :)

I am getting super nervous/anxious/freaking out about not hearing from Ohio State. I have been trying to bury myself in my work, but it is getting rediculous now. I am a tech at a vet clinic and the doctors keep telling everyone that I am goint to vet school at OSU, but I keep having to say "if they let me in". It is getting annoying and everyone keeps asking me if I heard anything yet.
The longer this goes on, the more and more I think about my interview and if the interviewers made any subtle inklings towards being rejected or accepted. I am going crazy!!

Thank you for listening to my rant. And good luck to everyone else still waiting. Especially Squirrels.:xf:

Just an update on my situation: I have to see a neurologist. Joy.

Remind me again why I bothered writing the GRE again? I have less than 2 weeks to study for it, because if I do not write it before classes begin, I would have to skip class and/or lab to write the darn test because the centre does not like to write on Mondays, Fridays or weekends for some strange reason. I would cancel now if it weren't for the non-refundable deposit fee thingy.

I know exactly how you're feeling Marino, it stinks big time! And now I have tomorrow and all next week off work. Happy about not having to work, but not happy about the thought of being home all day just waiting. I hope they let us know soon, especially since it looks like the offices are closed Monday and Tuesday. Try to hang tough, we'll make it through and hopefully in the end we'll all have acceptances. Are you IS or OOS?

I'm debating....at what point does "No news is good news" turn into just plain bad news?

I'm debating....at what point does "No news is good news" turn into just plain bad news?
I am IS. And NordiCat, I am wondering the same thing. They have been very good at being on time with notifications about things (Interviews, answering e-mails, etc.) so the longer this takes, the more I think that I am rejected.

I am IS. And NordiCat, I am wondering the same thing. They have been very good at being on time with notifications about things (Interviews, answering e-mails, etc.) so the longer this takes, the more I think that I am rejected.

I'm starting to worry about that as well...:cry: Although, someone on the Ohio thread said that when they called Student Affairs, they were told that we would be notified in JANUARY. ugh!

I'm starting to worry about that as well...:cry: Although, someone on the Ohio thread said that when they called Student Affairs, they were told that we would be notified in JANUARY. ugh!

i feel like they're just playing you guys like puppets now and toying with your emotions! i mean seriously...sorry for everyone waiting for OSU :mad:

i feel like they're just playing you guys like puppets now and toying with your emotions! i mean seriously...sorry for everyone waiting for OSU :mad:

I caved & called Student Affairs, and the said they're sending out letters between now and the next few weeks, so the "in January" isn't too far off mark, but it could be sooner.

Thanks for the support, Sunnex! I have to say, I'm not surprised you got so many acceptances. :)

Thanks for the support, Sunnex! I have to say, I'm not surprised you got so many acceptances. :)

SDN was such a huge support for me over the last couple years, especially with some difficult personal/academic decisions that i had to make, so i'm just returning the favor :) i feel like the least we can do for each other is be supportive, because everyone is going through the same stressful process, wherever we are.

and aww shucks you're making me blush :oops: i thought i was a fairly average applicant with OK chances, never expected to have multiple acceptances already before the new year...i'm really wishing the best for all of you guys, especially 2nd/3rd time applicants because i know you guys have been working your butts of to improve your apps :xf::luck:

Definitely had a meltdown today from all the rejections, stress, and uncertainty revolving around everything. Shouldn't I be HAPPY 3 days away from Christmas?? :confused:
Thankfully my boyfriend is a saint ;)

I think of everyone every day! (And just think, we might never actually meet for reals) I pray for everyone to have some extra love & luck during this difficult holiday season. JMJ & squirrels as well as the returning applicants: I'm sending all of the luck and love. I want 2016 to be AWESOME (although I love 2015s....we went through app cycle hell together!)
Bisbee, SDN has turned into my new, better FaceBook!
Yes. Truth! SDN pre-vet is where it's at, yo!
A few weeks back I was caring for goats whose legs were broken as part of a study investigating what types of implanted hardware work best. Who is having the more positive impact: the one doctor who uses the hardware, or the one vet who participated in the study that allows thousands of doctors to have a new tool in their arsenal? Seems to me the vet has more far-reaching impact than any individual doctor in that scenario, the vet just won't get recognized for the contribution.
:clap: :biglove: I still firmly believe in our field as being one of the most amazing and innovative. MDs don't got nothing on us never (does that make the statement positive???) Working in customer service, people LOVE to tell me that "Ya know, sweetheart, you're not going to make any money as a vet." I smile and say, "Thank you for your opinion."
:xf::xf::luck::luck: :biglove: Girl, I want to be classmates. Just saying.

SOV & LIS: :rofl: I'm going to view vet school similarly concerning loved ones and such. I can't be in constant contact with people. But I CAN think of them all the time and miss them.

It doesn't become bad news until you actually get the bad news. Up until then you are still being considered!!!!
Totally agree with this wholeheartedly. Even moreso now that I am in the process of my year off. If you had spoken to me this past year even, I would've told you a year off was not in my cards.

QUOTE=Trematode;11938007]Just an update on my situation: I have to see a neurologist. Joy.

Remind me again why I bothered writing the GRE again? I have less than 2 weeks to study for it, because if I do not write it before classes begin, I would have to skip class and/or lab to write the darn test because the centre does not like to write on Mondays, Fridays or weekends for some strange reason. I would cancel now if it weren't for the non-refundable deposit fee thingy.[/QUOTE]

Hang in there, and go take the GRE. The revised version is MUCH more test taker friendly and I bet it won't be as bad as you think. Better to take it and see how you do than waste the money and not even try, right? If you do great, then you don't have to retake, and if you don't do as well as you hope, at least you tried, and you'd have had to pay for it/take it another time if you cancelled anyway.....Good luck! :luck:

Definitely had a meltdown today from all the rejections, stress, and uncertainty revolving around everything. Shouldn't I be HAPPY 3 days away from Christmas?? :confused:
Thankfully my boyfriend is a saint ;)

Oh my goodness JMJ, I am right there with you today. Not a good morning, hopefully the afternoon turns out to be better!

Just an update on my situation: I have to see a neurologist. Joy.

Remind me again why I bothered writing the GRE again? I have less than 2 weeks to study for it, because if I do not write it before classes begin, I would have to skip class and/or lab to write the darn test because the centre does not like to write on Mondays, Fridays or weekends for some strange reason. I would cancel now if it weren't for the non-refundable deposit fee thingy.
For a fee, you can reschedule (or at least in the past you could). Maybe better to reschedule to a day where there wasn't a conflict. Kind of a compromise between cancelling and taking it without studying.

I need to vent.

So, I am visiting my bf's family for 18 days. They are really good to me but they are these high-achieving-if-you-are-not-perfect-you-will-be-judged people (my bf has spent a lot of time preparing me for this).

The thing is, she (his mom) likes me. However, interacting with her is like loving a porcupine. To an extent shes cute, you like her, but you cant actually embrace her.

Its clear I am not the ideal candidate for vet school... I dont have bad, but unremarkable grades/GRE score (so clearly admissions committees are pretty tough on me)... I have a family with an impossible amount of impossible problems (which for the most part I dont bring up while at their residence)

And I just have to suck it up and not act offended when they make snarky remarks all morning in reference to my family and application.

I really have a hard time not being open and transparent with people. Many times I can be described as the fountain-of-truth (not in a bad way, usually in a funny manor). Its hard covering up my personality and the things going on in my life.

Ultimately, I dont appreciate being scrutinized just as badly/harshly by his family (his sister and father are also similar) as the admission committees from Illinois and KSU. I actually had a good time touring a school this week and actually received positive feedback. Additionally, I would like to just feel a little optimistic that I havnt received a rejection letter from Iowa State (understanding I have not also received an invite and that it seems they sent out rejections for the contract states, and not OOS yet).

This whole admissions process is depressing as is. I dont need my family insulted, my 8+ years of working (which seems to have resulted in no consideration for how much I have put into the field with quality experiences), and have my hopes obliterated by these people.

Gosh darn it, I have a last 45 credit GPA of 3.59 now (taking courses like reproduction-endocrinology, biotechnology, monogastric nutrition, mammology, comparative anatomy, statistics, chem II, physics, immunology, toxicology, and etc.). So, it would be nice as a potential-future-family-member to over look the fact I have 3.25 overall GPA... I already know I am not/my life is not perfect, but I have been working so hard to bring myself up.

rabble-rabble-rabble ... sigh ... :bang: .. no response needed, its just nice having a anonymous way to express my frustration.

Last edited:
I just want to sleep, let other people deal with my rejections and wake up 10 years from now.. the rejections are hitting me hard right now. I'm getting a headache trying to hold back the tears. :(

This whole admissions process is depressing as is. I dont need my family insulted, my 8+ years of working (which seems to have resulted in no consideration for how much I have put into the field with quality experiences), and have my hopes obliterated by these people.

So like, why do you say these people are "good to you?"

They sound toxic.

So like, why do you say these people are "good to you?"

They sound toxic.

It appears that way, but I love the bf (so I am willing to go to great lengths and jump hoops).

Also, this is the best they have ever treated someone from outside of the family. In fact, this is as good as they treat their own family members. Funny thing is this fall the mother had said she really wants to connect with me, but I seem distant (it makes a me lol on the inside). So, I think I will just have to take the fact that she wants to spend time with me as a huge compliment.

The bf is awesome and outstandingly supportive, and I am going to have to grow a thick skin for the next couple of weeks (to do this, venting is needed - its is a pressure cooker here).

The bf is awesome and outstandingly supportive, and I am going to have to grow a thick skin for the next couple of weeks (to do this, venting is needed - its is a pressure cooker here).

Vent away, Virginger!! We're here for ya! My best friend's in-laws sound a lot like your bf's family, but they are HORRIBLE to her. They flat out ignore her, will belittle her when she's sitting right there at the table with them, etc etc etc. So I sort of understand how sucky it is for you to put up with! I'm glad your bf sounds like a sweet guy and treats you well. :love: Hang in there!

For a fee, you can reschedule (or at least in the past you could). Maybe better to reschedule to a day where there wasn't a conflict. Kind of a compromise between cancelling and taking it without studying.

I'm debating it.

This is try #3 for me. I have to write it in time to get the scores in by Mid-February. So I donno. I just risk being late for labs because of the scheduling.

ETA: They want my confirmation number in order to reschedule, but I deleted that email and the letter I got is not here (I am home for Christmas break). Would it be worth my time to call if I do not have the confirmation number handy?

Last edited:
I'm debating it.

This is try #3 for me. I have to write it in time to get the scores in by Mid-February. So I donno. I just risk being late for labs because of the scheduling.

ETA: They want my confirmation number in order to reschedule, but I deleted that email and the letter I got is not here (I am home for Christmas break). Would it be worth my time to call if I do not have the confirmation number handy?
Do you think your lab TAs would be understanding about your being late? That sounds like a good plan to me.

You never know until you try! :) I'd go for it; they should be able to figure it out with other information from you.

I called ETS. Closed for the holidays. They made me call Prometric. Also closed on the holidays. Um. I write the 3rd. By the time I am able to get a hold of them, will they actually let me move it ahead? Is it worth sending them an email?

I checked. My scores do not have to be in until February 23rd. And Tuesdays and Thursdays are do-able. It will just make me late for a class.

*sigh*
I won't be at peace until I can reschedule this. :p.

Also, this is the best they have ever treated someone from outside of the family. In fact, this is as good as they treat their own family members.

Sorry to hear it Virginger. It can be really difficult living with someone else's family -- they are always so different from our own! My honey likes to joke, "fish and family: good for three days." It sounds as though they really like you, so hopefully you can take some comfort from that. My own family live far from us, so visiting them means staying with them for several days. I love them dearly, but whenever we visit we do take lots of long walks and side- trips, so that we don't have time to get on each other's nerves. Good luck, and vent away ;)

I just want to sleep, let other people deal with my rejections and wake up 10 years from now.. the rejections are hitting me hard right now. I'm getting a headache trying to hold back the tears. :(

Sending a rejection 2 days before Christmas is really harsh! Try not to let it get you down. Hoping you get some good news real quick!

Also, this is the best they have ever treated someone from outside of the family. In fact, this is as good as they treat their own family members. Funny thing is this fall the mother had said she really wants to connect with me, but I seem distant (it makes a me lol on the inside). So, I think I will just have to take the fact that she wants to spend time with me as a huge compliment.

I mean, joking around about stuff is one thing but like, they sound like dicks is all I'm saying.

It's okay if they're dicks and just because they are dicks doesn't really mean anything about your boyfriend so no need to like, defend him or your relationship or anything.

But if people make you have to vent a lot of the time, they're probably not great people to be around a lot. Juuuust sayin.