The Support Group - A place for admissions-related rants and worries.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Ok, so I applied to A&M, and just after they received my Fall 2011 transcripts, they sent out a letter telling me they couldn't find 3 classes which were required for entrance.

Two of them, I knew about and am taking them this quarter. The third, a Microbiology class which I took 3 years ago.

It was the only micro offered at my 4-year college, and when I called they said it was probably due to the course number being a 200 not a 300, and to just send them a copy of the syllabus. I was quick and sent it to them (via email) within a matter of days.

Today I get an email from Yolanda saying that they need to evaluate that course, and for me to send it to them.

...but I've already been rejected. Thanks for keeping up with that, you guys!! *sigh*

Members don't see this ad.

Ok, so I applied to A&M, and just after they received my Fall 2011 transcripts, they sent out a letter telling me they couldn't find 3 classes which were required for entrance.

Two of them, I knew about and am taking them this quarter. The third, a Microbiology class which I took 3 years ago.

It was the only micro offered at my 4-year college, and when I called they said it was probably due to the course number being a 200 not a 300, and to just send them a copy of the syllabus. I was quick and sent it to them (via email) within a matter of days.

Today I get an email from Yolanda saying that they need to evaluate that course, and for me to send it to them.

...but I've already been rejected. Thanks for keeping up with that, you guys!! *sigh*
Maybe you aren't as rejected as you think?

What did you end up doing for animal science? I am trying to jump through that hoop right now too. I know I can take it the summer before, but just curious what you ended up doing.

Actually, it all worked out in the end for me. I got into tufts which had turned into my #1. So I pulled myself out of the running for UPenn, UFL (who wanted animal science pre-reqs - 2!) and Oregon's acceptance.

Great idea! That's what I'll do! Thanks so much kaydubs :D
:thumbup: anytime, lovey!
Heard- you seriously have to set aside a good hour to catch up. At LEAST. How was your trip!?!? Do tell... ;)
Seconded. Petpony - DISH!

minor grumblings: last night turned into a disaster..... I ended up being incredibly dysfunctional, dehydrated from crying.....not a good night. :sigh: Does anyone have any insight with this situation: I'm someone who's been doused in meds for a long time (over 10 years). people keep trying to "cure" me with new prescriptions (but as a result of my home life and past circumstances, I have a hard time getting away from addictive/bad situations). frankly, I've had it over my head with scripts:mad:. I have been TRYING to avoid over med usage for pain (using yoga, meditation, positive thinking...) but every time I go somewhere, they tell me: here's a script. wait, take THREE scripts. I'm just frustrated.... the chronic migraines are getting to me along with other chronic pain. I know chronic pain is, yanno, chronic, but....:bang: I'm sorry for being a whiner:oops:. it's just not a good past few 24 hours.... I can usually combat the migraines (sorta) but lately....:shrug:

Life could always be worse.

hang tight, gang. we can do this!:luck::xf::luck:

Members don't see this ad :)
Kaydubs - I'm sorry about all the pain. I also have the migraine issue (as I posted in another place somewhere along the line here) as well as some other pain. But I'm a lot older, so I've been dealing with it longer and have come to acceptance and have learned to work around it and not be emotional about it anymore. I remember how it was to be young and wish it would all go away so I could be normal and pain-free like everyone else. It was depressing. But the depressing part will go away gradually for you, and you'll concentrate on all the things you can do instead of what you can't do. Just remember that everyone has something, be it physical pain or intellectual disability or family issues or financial problems (some have multiple issues). But we have to stay positive and keep our eyes on what we do have that is good. I hope you feel better soon.

Thanks, Bisbee! It does come down to coping strategies with me lately. I appreciate the encouragement :D Today's a better day already!

So........who's bored with this waiting game? I know it's ONLY the 4th of January but....yeah, I wanna know what's going on with the fall already!:laugh:

Maybe you aren't as rejected as you think?

This would be happy news, but I doubt it. :( Thanks for the happy thoughts, though!

I sent her the syllabus (again!) with my query anyway -- already got rejected once, what's the harm in reiteration? ;)

dubs- so sorry to hear of your everpresent agony :( poooooooop!
and yes- sooooo tired of waiting!!!!!!!! need answers NOW!!!!

dubs- so sorry to hear of your everpresent agony :( poooooooop!
and yes- sooooo tired of waiting!!!!!!!! need answers NOW!!!!

Thanks, JAJ. Um, yeah, where can we address our complaints to the application cycle process? VMCAS? Individual institutions? Or the collective universe as a whole? GrumblegrumblerawrstompMYAH :hungover:

The complaint department can be found by taking the elevator to the top floor, using the emergency exit to climb to the roof, and then walking straight until you fall off the roof.

Thank you for your inquiry.

Man, I feel like I'll be heading to that "complaint department" if I don't get some good news soon! :laugh:

The vet school app process is one of the few situations where one can be made to feel inadequate over having a 3.7 GPA...I keep reminding myself that I'm intelligent and have a decent chance at being accepted somewhere, but it's hard to keep that mindset when Ohio & Cornell have both called a bunch of people and I haven't heard a peep. :scared: My husband keeps telling me I'm obsessing about the admissions process, but how can I not? This is so important to me!

*le sigh* end-o-rant.

I'm worried I am never going to make it anywhere in life, I just heard back from KSU after I had e-mailed them on how to be a better applicant. They basically told me I would have to go back to school for the next 2 years, get all A's in the science courses I didn't get A's in (which is a lot, because I got B's in the lower level ones, get to 400-500 level courses and I received A's) and re-take the GRE. I am a VERY bad standardized test taker. It's not feasible to continue wanting to go to vet school.. I feel like I would have had a better chance going back and re-taking those classes instead of getting a masters..
I'm sorry I've been such a debbie downer whenever I come on here, I had such high hopes for this year, and had a great attitude towards everything, now that I've been crapped on things don't feel as good.

Hey Raimes!

Don't you dare let them make you think you're not going anywhere! Maybe ...to get there you just need to take a more roundabout path. Like finishing up your master's, or a foreign school...

I am also frustrated that so many people want careers but we can't even get in school to get that opportunity. I'm going to be in your shoes in a few days when I receive my last rejections (I don't bother thinking positive anymore, I have moved on to plan B).

If it's what you really want, keep trying! Don't let them keep you down. Just in case, is there anything else you'd be able to do and be marginally happy at as a plan B?

Btw, why the heck would they tell you to get a better grade in the easy science courses when you've clearly got a good enough grasp that you can ace the higher science courses? That's dumb.

Members don't see this ad :)
Have you considered UK and Caribbean schools? Many make it in with your type of situation. They look at the whole applicant, not just stats. Don't give up so easily.

I'm worried I am never going to make it anywhere in life, I just heard back from KSU after I had e-mailed them on how to be a better applicant. They basically told me I would have to go back to school for the next 2 years, get all A's in the science courses I didn't get A's in (which is a lot, because I got B's in the lower level ones, get to 400-500 level courses and I received A's) and re-take the GRE. I am a VERY bad standardized test taker. It's not feasible to continue wanting to go to vet school.. I feel like I would have had a better chance going back and re-taking those classes instead of getting a masters..

I know it feels awful right now, but do realize that all that KSU can speak for is KSU. Just because it seems unrealistic for you to continue to apply there doesn't mean that all other schools value the same things. Whether you're going to move on to something different or eventually give it another shot is a personal decision you have to make, but don't let the bar at one school determine your entire outlook on things.

Raimes: I agree with what everyone else has posted so far. I had an acquaintance who tried for 2 cycles and went to Ross this past year. she was a great applicant - retook courses and had some state-side interviews but just didn't luck out. :( do whatever feels right for you. You are the one who knows your own limits best. are you waiting on any other schools??

SOV: Hm, whenever I go back to the complaint department, they ask, "Haven't we seen you before?" and I smile and say, "Nah, that was my evil twin. I'm the real deal!" :laugh:

Last edited:
I'm sorry I've been such a debbie downer whenever I come on here, I had such high hopes for this year, and had a great attitude towards everything, now that I've been crapped on things don't feel as good.

I'm with you - it's so hard NOT to get discouraged when you get rejected multiple times, and the things you're asked to do aren't feasible. I've been trying to stay off the interviews/acceptances threads this year because it makes me depressed to watch people getting in. Not that I'm not happy for y'all, but after three cycles, this gets tiring.

Do you have any other schools you're waiting to hear from this year? Are international schools an option for you?

Hugs and empathy from my direction - I know it's not much, but know that you aren't alone in how you feel.

I'm with you - it's so hard NOT to get discouraged when you get rejected multiple times, and the things you're asked to do aren't feasible. I've been trying to stay off the interviews/acceptances threads this year because it makes me depressed to watch people getting in. Not that I'm not happy for y'all, but after three cycles, this gets tiring.

Do you have any other schools you're waiting to hear from this year? Are international schools an option for you?

Hugs and empathy from my direction - I know it's not much, but know that you aren't alone in how you feel.

***HUGS*** to both ya'll...same boat here, 2nd time around (1st time was 5 years ago). I haven't gotten bad news definitely yet, but others have gotten good news already from the schools I'm waiting to hear from this week. I'm so jealous and, while I'm excited for those getting acceptances, I just wish I was too. :(

My heart breaks for you guys. I can't imagine having to go through this process multiple times. The wait is pure torture. Hoping your wait will end like mine, with an acceptance and SOON! These schools have no idea what they've passed up, hoping they open their eyes and accept you guys already!

*Hugs* to you too, NordiCat. I am mentally sending you ice cream and cookies.

Raimes: I don't think it's possible for you to not make it anywhere in life, because in order to have gotten this far you have to be doing things right. Even if you (we) can't make it into vet school, you are already way farther ahead in 'life goals' than a lot of people. I don't even want to think of a plan B career yet, and I'm sure you don't either, but just by getting this far we've opened up a lot of doors to other paths. Bottom line: life is probably going to be okay.

Thank you guys for the words of support! I do appreciate everything. :)

I am waiting for a few schools but I think they are extremely grade orientated, Tufts, Penn, and MN.

I already have a masters degree (graduated about 2 weeks ago) but it was in animal science and although I took mostly upper level non-animal science courses I feel that it will not bring me any farther then my bachelor's. While I do have some laboratory experience I don't feel confident to be left alone in one to work.. I'm very scared for what the real world holds!

Anyways.. thank you again for all the support that can be found on this website!

The complaint department can be found by taking the elevator to the top floor, using the emergency exit to climb to the roof, and then walking straight until you fall off the roof.

Thank you for your inquiry.

:roflcopter: LOVE this so much that it's getting hung in my office tomorrow w/ props to SOV.

Now back to our regularly scheduled program...

Raimes, et al... I have nothing but unrelenting empathy for you all. I'm a fourth time applicant who tried for the first time back in '03. At the time I already held a masters in neuroscience and had several years of research related vet experience. Since then I have worked my rear off jumping through the proverbial hoops... Varied experience, returning to undergrad to retake old (we're talking early '90s old) science classes I did poorly in, etc... Heck, I even walked away from a high paying animal behaviorist job to work full time as a tech. I have DVM colleagues that can't for the life of them understand why I can't get in. But, through it all I've learned that all programs are different and all app cycles are indeed different.

This time 'round I applied to 2 programs that flat out rejected me by November a couple of cycles ago. I'm not all that different, but have made it to consideration this time. Granted, I know this doesn't guarantee me anything, but it shows that things really do change. Also, and this is probably my ripe old age talking, I've concluded that if I don't get in, I don't in. There's nothing more I can do; and I cannot change my science GPA from nearly 20 years ago. I've done all I can; and if that's not enough, so be it. At least I know I gave it my all. And if you can say that about anything in life, I think it's a good thing.

So, try to hang tough. If it's meant to be, it's meant to be. If not, there are plenty of other ways to benefit the nonhuman population and keep yourself happy and satisfied. You just have to find your nitche. Time and a career have afforded me this outlook; so I recommend looking at your experiences and try to recognize the part of the experience that made you the happiest and see if you can build upon it. You never know what you might find within yourself that could very well be what you've always dreamed of doing but never recognized.

So, try to hang tough. If it's meant to be, it's meant to be. If not, there are plenty of other ways to benefit the nonhuman population and keep yourself happy and satisfied. You just have to find your nitche. Time and a career have afforded me this outlook; so I recommend looking at your experiences and try to recognize the part of the experience that made you the happiest and see if you can build upon it. You never know what you might find within yourself that could very well be what you've always dreamed of doing but never recognized.

Such good advice- I'm feeling better already. :claps:

Very uplifting stuff! Can I call you for more when I get more rejections? ;)

:confused:

What is Iowa State up to???

I cant find much on why there is portion of the applicants that are sitting in "Committee Review" still. They are unreachable because the person who is in charge of this on leave till the 17th and the alternate contact goes to voicemail. The email I sent via the portal system has gone unanswered for a month (+) ... Clearly, if I miss out on that last set of interviews, my application is dead.

If they don't want to meet me, why didn't they just reject me all ready? ... or if they wanted to meet me, it sounds like their interview slots have already been filled and I still wont get the opportunity.

I just want one bit of good news at this point... plus VT is taking forever this year and I may have 8 schools to hear from but it doesn't seem like its going to go any better.

:roflcopter: LOVE this so much that it's getting hung in my office tomorrow w/ props to SOV.

Now back to our regularly scheduled program...

Raimes, et al... I have nothing but unrelenting empathy for you all. I'm a fourth time applicant who tried for the first time back in '03. At the time I already held a masters in neuroscience and had several years of research related vet experience. Since then I have worked my rear off jumping through the proverbial hoops... Varied experience, returning to undergrad to retake old (we're talking early '90s old) science classes I did poorly in, etc... Heck, I even walked away from a high paying animal behaviorist job to work full time as a tech. I have DVM colleagues that can't for the life of them understand why I can't get in. But, through it all I've learned that all programs are different and all app cycles are indeed different.

This time 'round I applied to 2 programs that flat out rejected me by November a couple of cycles ago. I'm not all that different, but have made it to consideration this time. Granted, I know this doesn't guarantee me anything, but it shows that things really do change. Also, and this is probably my ripe old age talking, I've concluded that if I don't get in, I don't in. There's nothing more I can do; and I cannot change my science GPA from nearly 20 years ago. I've done all I can; and if that's not enough, so be it. At least I know I gave it my all. And if you can say that about anything in life, I think it's a good thing.

Your post resonates with me especially right now. Would love to chat some time with you as I bet we are quite similar. PM anytime:D

Ok, so I'm not sure if anyone remembers my "worry" from a week or two ago about my 4 hour biochemistry class... looks like I WILL have to take the second semester since APPARENTLY Oregon State uses a QUARTER hour system and now I only have 2.6 hours of Biochemistry! :mad: I know it is ultimately my responsibility to know these things, but my transcript said 4.0 hours, and no where on it did it say it was on a quarter system. However when I called UF, the transcript THEY received has it mentioned on there! I'm so angry right now, mostly at myself, as I LITERALLY don't have the TIME or MONEY to do well in this class this semester while I work 50 hours/week, practically RUN our Spay and Neuter Clinic in the city, take 2 tough classes, and go on interviews! (Which I'm not complaining about, but my interviews are the only days I get off work to study and volunteer)... I want to cry. :wtf::annoyed::shrug::bang:

but my transcript said 4.0 hours, and no where on it did it say it was on a quarter system.

You may want to look into the quarter system Oregon has...I know at my college, we are on a quarter system, but because of the amount of time we spend in class (MWF 1 hr 15 minutes, TR 1 hr 50 minutes for a 3-credit class) each of our quarter hours are considered to be equivalent to a semester hour (I think semesters are MWF 45 minutes, TF 1 hr 15 minutes for a 3-credit class).

Ok, so I'm not sure if anyone remembers my "worry" from a week or two ago about my 4 hour biochemistry class... looks like I WILL have to take the second semester since APPARENTLY Oregon State uses a QUARTER hour system and now I only have 2.6 hours of Biochemistry! :mad: I know it is ultimately my responsibility to know these things, but my transcript said 4.0 hours, and no where on it did it say it was on a quarter system. However when I called UF, the transcript THEY received has it mentioned on there! I'm so angry right now, mostly at myself, as I LITERALLY don't have the TIME or MONEY to do well in this class this semester while I work 50 hours/week, practically RUN our Spay and Neuter Clinic in the city, take 2 tough classes, and go on interviews! (Which I'm not complaining about, but my interviews are the only days I get off work to study and volunteer)... I want to cry. :wtf::annoyed::shrug::bang:

Hey Em- hold up a sec. I also applied to Oregon with my 3 semester credits of Biochem. I also had 9 credits of Orgo 1-2 but I'm pretty sure I didn't have to use those orgo credits (not positive but...) I would call out there to verify. Before you jump into the biochem 2. Don't cry. Deep breaths! Call Oregon TODAY (take the time difference into consideration).

Hey Em- hold up a sec. I also applied to Oregon with my 3 semester credits of Biochem. I also had 9 credits of Orgo 1-2 but I'm pretty sure I didn't have to use those orgo credits (not positive but...) I would call out there to verify. Before you jump into the biochem 2. Don't cry. Deep breaths! Call Oregon TODAY (take the time difference into consideration).

I didn't apply to Oregon State, I took the class at Oregon State... :(

So just call 'em and see if their quarter system is like ours. :)

On the VMCAS application, I was told to just put semester system, not quarter system because of our differences. You still might not have to take anything extra if this is Oregon's case, too!

I posted this on the Rant forum yesterday, but haven't gotten too many responses and I need some advice:

So I started to become panicky today because Auburn is supposed to send out their interview invites soon (last year they sent them out around this time) and I was compelled to recheck my submitted VMCAS application to reassure myself of my vet experience.... cuz, ya know, I'm paranoid I won't get in anywhere...:scared:

Anyway, while checking my application I realized that I listed the end date for one of my vet experiences as blatantly incorrect... instead of 1 year volunteering at that clinic it looks like I was there for 11 years. I am so mad at myself because I went through my application like a million times and so did family, friends, and vets. :mad: I only gained 200 hours there and listed the hours per week as 4, so I am hoping that the adcoms realize that it is a typo and don't think I'm an idiot. :oops:

Should I email the schools to let them know about the mistake or do you think they will figure it out? Has something like this happened to anyone else? If so, were the schools fine with it or was it a factor in their decision?

Any advice would be much appreciated.

So just call 'em and see if their quarter system is like ours. :)

On the VMCAS application, I was told to just put semester system, not quarter system because of our differences. You still might not have to take anything extra if this is Oregon's case, too!

I will when they open, but it sounds to me like they are gonna be considered quarters based on the class schedules you gave above... :(
I am also debating on waiting to take it from April-June instead of Jan-Mar, once I can find out some news from schools, and see what they want me to do individually...?? That way, I will at least have time to save the money, but still know I can take it if I really have to. Anyone know when classes have to be completed? It would end June15th.

I posted this on the Rant forum yesterday, but haven't gotten too many responses and I need some advice:

So I started to become panicky today because Auburn is supposed to send out their interview invites soon (last year they sent them out around this time) and I was compelled to recheck my submitted VMCAS application to reassure myself of my vet experience.... cuz, ya know, I'm paranoid I won't get in anywhere...:scared:

Anyway, while checking my application I realized that I listed the end date for one of my vet experiences as blatantly incorrect... instead of 1 year volunteering at that clinic it looks like I was there for 11 years. I am so mad at myself because I went through my application like a million times and so did family, friends, and vets. :mad: I only gained 200 hours there and listed the hours per week as 4, so I am hoping that the adcoms realize that it is a typo and don't think I'm an idiot. :oops:

Should I email the schools to let them know about the mistake or do you think they will figure it out? Has something like this happened to anyone else? If so, were the schools fine with it or was it a factor in their decision?

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Just call or email... I have been completely and pleasantly surprised at how helpful, nice, and understanding admissions has been at each school. Just tell them it was an honest mistake, and you wanted to make sure they had the correct information to evaluate you fairly. It really isn't a big deal, I have done worse on my application and it was no problem. I'm also waiting on Auburn, so I hope to hear good news for both of us soon. Give them a call, I think you will be pleasantly surprised. (Although they aren't one of the schools I've had to call yet).

You should be fine - calling the admin offices is the best way to go. I would be surprised if it cost you an admissions! (It also may help clear things up if they were confused on what actually happened)

If it is any consolation - I spelled my own name wrong on my 1st VMCAS. Yeah. That was embarrassing. I didn't get in but I'm pretty sure that had nothing to do with it since they had LOTS of reasons they rejected me in my post-denial review :)rolleyes:) and none had to do with my apparent lack of spelling abilities.

Thanks guys. I will email them all today and let them know about the mistake.

Good Luck, FutResearch! Please keep us posted on this. You must be very frustrated. I know I would be! :luck:

I applied there too.

They are posting this on their site:
"Biochemistry - A minimum of 1 semester or 2 quarters of upper division biochemistry; a complete course sequence is preferred. At OSU, BB 450 and 451 satisfy this requirement; BB 350 does not."
http://oregonstate.edu/vetmed/students/future/dvm/academic-requirements-admission

Also, their sub-app says:
"Biochemistry: A minimum of 1 semester or 2 quarters of upper division biochemistry; a complete course sequence is preferred"

I am sure you are fine if you have a semester of Biochem :)

Last edited:
So I'm sure many of us drink coffee...
I got a Keurig as a gift this Christmas and am wondering if anyone knows the cheapest places online to buy the Kcups???

Oh, I do! You can go to keurig.com and once you register your keurig machine, you get one set of kcups free when you make your first order. From then on out, you are considered a member and get 10% off their price of kcups...plus a ton of emails with $1-10 off for various promotions and seasonal flavors of both teas and coffees! They have any flavor you could imagine. I like Butter Toffee and Blueberry the best. :)

Also, you can get them from Bed Bath and Beyond, and if you have one of those nifty coupons that are always going out in the mail from them (20% off!), they're technically cheaper there...but only if you have a coupon. But their flavors are a bit limited.

Of course, Walmart is now selling them, too. Not much variety, but if you're in a pinch, they're competitively priced and easy to find in a hurry.

Hope that was helpful!!

Oh, I do! You can go to keurig.com and once you register your keurig machine, you get one set of kcups free when you make your first order. From then on out, you are considered a member and get 10% off their price of kcups...plus a ton of emails with $1-10 off for various promotions and seasonal flavors of both teas and coffees! They have any flavor you could imagine. I like Butter Toffee and Blueberry the best. :)

Also, you can get them from Bed Bath and Beyond, and if you have one of those nifty coupons that are always going out in the mail from them (20% off!), they're technically cheaper there...but only if you have a coupon. But their flavors are a bit limited.

Of course, Walmart is now selling them, too. Not much variety, but if you're in a pinch, they're competitively priced and easy to find in a hurry.

Hope that was helpful!!

That is so funny... those are my two favorite flavors also!!! :laugh: Very weird! And thanks so much! :D

Hope that was helpful!!

:thumbup: Thanks - I'm browsing right now. Each class at UCD has a homeroom and our class bought a Keurig Machine to put in there. I've yet to use it because I don't have any Kcups. yay! ;)

If it is any consolation - I spelled my own name wrong on my 1st VMCAS. Yeah. That was embarrassing. I didn't get in but I'm pretty sure that had nothing to do with it since they had LOTS of reasons they rejected me in my post-denial review :)rolleyes:) and none had to do with my apparent lack of spelling abilities.

I spelled my name wrong on my financial aid paperwork. :smack:

This might be better posted on the rant thread but it is mostly admissions rated.

I'm really starting to feel burnt out. I work 2 part-time jobs, go to school full-time, and volunteer at a vet clinic. The clinic has offered me more volunteer hours this semester which I gladly took because I'm seriously lacking vet hours. I already do two twelve hour days a week, these extra clinic hours would make it four 12 hour days a week. The other three days would only be 8-9 hour days. I'm willing to work hard to be a vet but lately I find it very difficult to get through the day.

I don't enjoy things like I used to and I even dislike coming home. My bedroom still isn't fixed, the apartment is a mess, and the radiator in my 11 year old car was destroyed. It seems like too much. Meanwhile my sisters live in a brand new house, have brand new cars, and little stress. Sometimes I wonder if it is worth it.

Such good advice- I'm feeling better already. :claps:

Very uplifting stuff! Can I call you for more when I get more rejections? ;)

Your post resonates with me especially right now. Would love to chat some time with you as I bet we are quite similar. PM anytime:D

Aw, so glad to be of assistance you guys! So happy to know that I gave you a boost. I know how tough it all is; and I've got my :xf::xf: but tight for everyone this round. I'm hoping for good news for all! However, I'm doing my best to keep my reality in check.

And Hotfillyky, always nice to find a kindred spirit. I'll be in touch. :)

This admissions cycle has become horribly demoralizing. I've only gotten one rejection, but haven't heard anything from the 6 other schools I applied to. Meanwhile, I have a coworker coming in every other day with a new interview invite and/or new acceptance, and all the while I'm trying to work my butt off so that if I apply again next cycle my app will be way stronger, and I'm starting to feel like this just isn't going to be my year. I know many of you are on your 2nd, 3rd, etc cycle and I know I shouldn't be giving up on myself so soon and that I still have 6 schools to hear from, but this whole process horrible. And Nordicat, I completely feel you on this whole process making you feel inadequate with a 3.7. I have a 3.8 and am feeling horribly inadequate. I truly am happy for my coworker and everyone one here who has gotten interviews and acceptances, it's just hard to watch.

This might be better posted on the rant thread but it is mostly admissions rated.

I'm really starting to feel burnt out. I work 2 part-time jobs, go to school full-time, and volunteer at a vet clinic. The clinic has offered me more volunteer hours this semester which I gladly took because I'm seriously lacking vet hours. I already do two twelve hour days a week, these extra clinic hours would make it four 12 hour days a week. The other three days would only be 8-9 hour days. I'm willing to work hard to be a vet but lately I find it very difficult to get through the day.

I don't enjoy things like I used to and I even dislike coming home. My bedroom still isn't fixed, the apartment is a mess, and the radiator in my 11 year old car was destroyed. It seems like too much. Meanwhile my sisters live in a brand new house, have brand new cars, and little stress. Sometimes I wonder if it is worth it.

I am trying to add up hours here, and it seems like just the clinic on it's own is a full time job! I would be terrified to take on this much! If you are feeling that burnt out, you should drop something- because it's too early in the game to start feeling that way! You can always get more hours during school breaks, too! I only had hours from 1 summer of shadowing and 2 winter breaks (probably about 500) before applying, and it hasn't seemed to hurt too bad...

I am trying to add up hours here, and it seems like just the clinic on it's own is a full time job! I would be terrified to take on this much! If you are feeling that burnt out, you should drop something- because it's too early in the game to start feeling that way! You can always get more hours during school breaks, too! I only had hours from 1 summer of shadowing and 2 winter breaks (probably about 500) before applying, and it hasn't seemed to hurt too bad...

I agree. It's time to drop something, ky261682. Thank them very kindly for the offer but explain that you have reached your limit. That was the hardest lesson for me to learn in college while I was spreading myself impossibly thin (full course load, working 30 hrs/week, Pre-Vet Club officer, rode my horse every day, volunteered at spay/neuter clinic, worked in a lab on campus, active member in my sorority, saw my boyfriend nearly every night). Unless you are superhuman, you can't keep going at that pace and expect your grades not to suffer (let alone your mental health!). I've been there, and I'm a second-time applicant for a reason. If there's anything I've learned, it's that grades come FIRST - you can always make up for lack of experience, but it's damn hard to undo poor grades!

Sorry if that sounds like tough love. I just wish someone had beat me over the head when I was in your shoes so I could have realized my mistake. Good luck to you! I hope you find a way to decrease your stressors and enjoy yourself again soon :thumbup:

grades come FIRST - you can always make up for lack of experience, but it's damn hard to undo poor grades!

This is SO TRUE! This is my 4th time applying and while my GPA is competitive, it's still not as good as it could be. And the more classes (even science classes) I take to try and bring it up, the more saturated my GPA becomes. :wtf: