The Support Group - A place for admissions-related rants and worries.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I've been sending my mother and all my friends LOLcats with really, ridiculously sad faces.

You think I'm bugging them yet??
Teheehee
At least there's a question of yet? I think my family and friends have been bugged by vet school stuff since october.

Members don't see this ad.

Oh no. My mom is totally annoyed. And I'm sure my coworker thinks I'm crazy but I listen to her rants so it's only fair.

Maybe the file review is good for some people, but I think it makes others feel like if they just do these things that the admissions person said, they'll get in next time. But that just doesn't seem to be the case. And don't we really all already pretty much know what the weak points of our applications are.

I'm not sure I entirely agree, Bisbee. I knew some of my weaknesses the first time around, but there were others that the admissions director highlighted that I wouldn't have considered. And beyond that, she just had a bunch of suggestions about better ways to present material. I came out of mine with a list of suggested improvements. I sat down, put them in the best order I could (a mix of 'doable' and 'most useful'), and attacked them from the top. I was successful getting in next year. IIRC, I had a total list of 7 suggested improvements, and I ticked off 4 or 5 of them.

Maybe I would have been accepted anyway, I don't know. But I do know that the file review helped me improve my app.

I can see your point - that they're all positive about it and it gets your hopes up and whatnot - but I think on the whole it's useful. What's the downside? You lose a few hours?

In any case .... pulling for ya to get in. :)

Members don't see this ad :)
I found this at the gradcafe...
http://forum.thegradcafe.com/user/71996-espresso-eyes/

Dear Admissions Committee:
Having reviewed the many rejection letters I have received in the last few weeks, it is with great regret that I must inform you I am unable to accept your rejection at this time.
This year, after applying to a great many colleges and universities, I received an especially fine crop of rejection letters. Unfortunately, the number of rejections that I can accept is limited.
Each of my rejections was reviewed carefully and on an individual basis. Many factors were taken into account - the size of the institution, student-faculty ratio, location, reputation, costs and social atmosphere.
I am certain that most colleges I applied to are more than qualified to reject me. I am also sure that some mistakes were made in turning away some of these rejections. I can only hope they were few in number.
I am aware of the keen disappointment my decison may bring. Throughout my deliberations, I have kept in mind the time and effort it may have taken for you to reach your decision to reject me.
Keep in mind that at times it was necessary for me to reject even those letters of rejection that would normally have met my traditionally high standards.
I appreciate your having enough interest in me to reject my application. Let me take the opportunity to wish you well in what I am sure will be a successful academic year.
SEE YOU IN THE FALL!
Sincerely,
Paul Devlin
Applicant at Large

Having reviewed the many rejection letters I have received in the last few weeks, it is with great regret that I must inform you I am unable to accept your rejection at this time.
This year, after applying to a great many colleges and universities, I received an especially fine crop of rejection letters. Unfortunately, the number of rejections that I can accept is limited.
Each of my rejections was reviewed carefully and on an individual basis. Many factors were taken into account - the size of the institution, student-faculty ratio, location, reputation, costs and social atmosphere.
I am certain that most colleges I applied to are more than qualified to reject me. I am also sure that some mistakes were made in turning away some of these rejections. I can only hope they were few in number.
I am aware of the keen disappointment my decison may bring. Throughout my deliberations, I have kept in mind the time and effort it may have taken for you to reach your decision to reject me.
Keep in mind that at times it was necessary for me to reject even those letters of rejection that would normally have met my traditionally high standards.
I appreciate your having enough interest in me to reject my application. Let me take the opportunity to wish you well in what I am sure will be a successful academic year.
SEE YOU IN THE FALL!
Sincerely,
Paul Devlin
Applicant at Large

OMG HILARIOUS. that made me smile.

:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh: :rofl:

I'm not sure I entirely agree, Bisbee. I knew some of my weaknesses the first time around, but there were others that the admissions director highlighted that I wouldn't have considered. And beyond that, she just had a bunch of suggestions about better ways to present material. I came out of mine with a list of suggested improvements. I sat down, put them in the best order I could (a mix of 'doable' and 'most useful'), and attacked them from the top. I was successful getting in next year. IIRC, I had a total list of 7 suggested improvements, and I ticked off 4 or 5 of them.

Maybe I would have been accepted anyway, I don't know. But I do know that the file review helped me improve my app.

I can see your point - that they're all positive about it and it gets your hopes up and whatnot - but I think on the whole it's useful. What's the downside? You lose a few hours?

In any case .... pulling for ya to get in. :)

Yeah, you're right about the no downside. I will probably go through the motions. Thanks for the input and also for pulling for me.

SOV,
I think I'll use that letter....good one! Ha!

SEE YOU IN THE FALL!
Sincerely,
Paul Devlin
Applicant at Large

:lol: I actually put something similar to this together a couple years ago for 'therapy'; but this one takes the cake!!

Ugh, seriously kill me now. Not one invite. I had to give a speech on my effing zodiac sign this morning in the pub speaking class I'm taking for western, if I get no love I'm going to be very sad.

Ugh, seriously kill me now. Not one invite. I had to give a speech on my effing zodiac sign this morning in the pub speaking class I'm taking for western, if I get no love I'm going to be very sad.

Ugh! The things we will do for what we want...

Your speech class is really useless.

At least with mine I gave a speech about rabid bats in LA (scared everyone into getting rabies for their animals) and the benefits of spay/ neuter. Still a waste of time for me, but hopefully the world is a better place HA

But FTB I TOTALLY hear ya. I too am waiting to hear from the Cali schools, which according to my OOS waitlists and interview I thought I had a chance, but now I'm not so sure. Its just really getting depressing.

Another rejection arrived today; and I'm sitting here wondering why I bothered to put myself through this again this year. With the WI rejection I'm pretty much throwing in the towel given that I haven't heard so much as a peep from Penn (socks unite!) and OK has 600+ OOS applicants this year for a smidgen of spots. Yet another day where I sit and kick myself for not sneaking out to that Juilliard audition 20 years ago...

Members don't see this ad :)
Another rejection arrived today; and I'm sitting here wondering why I bothered to put myself through this again this year. With the WI rejection I'm pretty much throwing in the towel given that I haven't heard so much as a peep from Penn (socks unite!) and OK has 600+ OOS applicants this year for a smidgen of spots. Yet another day where I sit and kick myself for not sneaking out to that Juilliard audition 20 years ago...

=(
I'm sorry LMMS. It never gets any easier...You're near Philly right?? If you ever feel like heading up towards Reading, I can treat you to free pizza/wings/subs/strombolis/etc. We can make a party out of it.

really don't get it orca2011 and LMMS -- so sorry that you guys received the bad news today :(
coincidentally it IS fat tuesday so treat yourselves to some greasy food (my personal favorite right now being wings and fries) and alcohol (do you still have some of that whipped vodka left orca?) !!!!

I'm so sorry LMMS. You put yourself through it because this is your passion! Keep reminding yourself that. I know there really isnt anything to say to make it better, but just know you have support here! :xf:for Penn, you can't rule them out yet!!!

really don't get it orca2011 and LMMS -- so sorry that you guys received the bad news today :(
coincidentally it IS fat tuesday so treat yourselves to some greasy food (my personal favorite right now being wings and fries) and alcohol (do you still have some of that whipped vodka left orca?) !!!!

I actually do still have it, but I'm trying to spare my liver since I'm going to PSU for State Patty's Day. And given how this month has been, my liver is going to need all the rest it can get.

=(
I'm sorry LMMS. It never gets any easier...You're near Philly right?? If you ever feel like heading up towards Reading, I can treat you to free pizza/wings/subs/strombolis/etc. We can make a party out of it.

Ya know, I've wondered how close you were to here... I'm ALWAYS up there - friends in Collegeville and one of my very best friends in the world lives in Reading. We'll have to get together and commiserate at some point. And don't worry - it's on me. Unless of course you're already hauling in your big pharma pay by then. ;)

Thanks, sunnex. Once I take a long hot shower, I intend to break my diet but good. I have both waffles and ice cream in the freezer...

I'm so sorry LMMS. You put yourself through it because this is your passion! Keep reminding yourself that. I know there really isnt anything to say to make it better, but just know you have support here! :xf:for Penn, you can't rule them out yet!!!

Aw, thanks Katie. You're right - I have a passion and all the support in the world right here on SDN. Had it not been for SDN I would have hung it up last year at this time. So, who knows? Maybe, just maybe, the SDN vibe will get me a chance during my final go 'round with this. But, I fear that I already ruined my good karma with Penn after scolding them for rejecting Orca2011. It was worth it though given that I firmly believe she got shafted - big time!!

LMMS, I am so sorry to hear that. I am sure that you can do this. I think everyone here will give you feedback and support on the next round of applications, you deserve to make your dreams happen.

On the brighter side, you still have to school to hear back from! You made it through some major cuts at Penn, they have got to be seriously considering you for an interview.

I am rooting for you, dont loose hope yet. Wisconsin's admission stats are really tough, it scared me off from sending an application

Ya know, I've wondered how close you were to here... I'm ALWAYS up there - friends in Collegeville and one of my very best friends in the world lives in Reading. We'll have to get together and commiserate at some point. And don't worry - it's on me. Unless of course you're already hauling in your big pharma pay by then. ;)

Haha, small world. And while I hope to be reaping the benefits of that big pharma pay, the pizza will still be on me. We own a pizza shop up in Hamburg.

Hey man, tell me about it. Tufts f**king waitlisted me AGAIN. Which makes me want to gouge my eyes out with rusty forks. Still waiting on VMRCVM (haha), and I'm in the same boat as you with OK. 3rd application cycle is pretty much over for me, and I'm going to take my BFF's advice and wallow in self-pity for a few days.

Come to Boston, we'll do some drinking.

Hey man, tell me about it. Tufts f**king waitlisted me AGAIN. Which makes me want to gouge my eyes out with rusty forks. Still waiting on VMRCVM (haha), and I'm in the same boat as you with OK. 3rd application cycle is pretty much over for me, and I'm going to take my BFF's advice and wallow in self-pity for a few days.

Come to Boston, we'll do some drinking.

Ugh, that really sucks and don't really know what to say. I doubt it will make you feel any better, but Tufts wait listed me last year and flat out rejected me this year. And throw another one into the boat for OK...

Thanks for the pep talk, Virginger. I think I just need a couple days to be bitter... I worked for the UW years ago and really wanted a chance to go back to my 'home away from home'. I really miss Madison and my WI 'family'. I just have to see how things go from here on out.

Orca, no kidding small world. How 'bout that? We'll chat.

And, finally, WEN, are you freaking kidding me?!?! Christ! What do you have to do for these people? And no kidding, I'll be in Boston on the 22nd and 23rd of March for a conference. I'll bring my Louisville Slugger... :smuggrin:

Ugh, that really sucks and don't really know what to say. I doubt it will make you feel any better, but Tufts wait listed me last year and flat out rejected me this year. And throw another one into the boat for OK...

Orca, this is the 3rd year in a row they've waitlisted me. Saying that I'm fed up would be a drastic understatement.

And, finally, WEN, are you freaking kidding me?!?! Christ! What do you have to do for these people? And no kidding, I'll be in Boston on the 22nd and 23rd of March for a conference. I'll bring my Louisville Slugger... :smuggrin:
Don't get me started. There will be much wailing and gnashing of teeth. I'm all for it, let's break some kneecaps! Also, drink. ;)

Orca, this is the 3rd year in a row they've waitlisted me. Saying that I'm fed up would be a drastic understatement.

Don't get me started. There will be much wailing and gnashing of teeth. I'm all for it, let's break some kneecaps! Also, drink. ;)

Gosh, 3rd year? Are you going to apply again? I'll be expecting my letter from IL sometime this week or the next and I am trying to mentally prepare myself if I get wait listed. The reality of it is though, I don't know if I can put myself through a 3rd cycle.

WEN and LLMS - I'm sorry the news wasn't what you expected. This is such a hard thing, applying to vet school. It takes a lot of self-esteem to get through it, for sure. You'll both be okay. Life goes on and who knows what the future will bring?

Hey now, guys. OK likes underdogs, and the OOS waitlist moves a bit. So, while I obviously can't make any promises, I don't think you guys should discount it completely just yet. :)

I really do hope Oklahoma has a holistic approach to applicants. :xf:

I also really hope the UF IS wait list moves.

I've started looking at alternative career plans because I can't and refuse to plod away at a horrible paying job where I am vastly under appreciated. I don't like that my future relies on others decisions and perceptions of me and how well suited and capable i am to pursue my passion at a career and school work that I know I can succeed at.

Question:

Invited to joining the Phi Theta Kappa Honors Society at my CC... probably worth investing the $60 to join considering I probably will be applying again next year for vet school, right??

...I probably concede that I should apply to GMU to retake Biochem and pay the $70 application fee too, right?

sigh.

Question:

Invited to joining the Phi Theta Kappa Honors Society at my CC... probably worth investing the $60 to join considering I probably will be applying again next year for vet school, right??

...I probably concede that I should apply to GMU to retake Biochem and pay the $70 application fee too, right?

sigh.

Do you have to pay the app fee to GMU? When I looked into taking physics II at GMU/NOVA, I don't remember there being an app fee for just one class. NOVA offers biochem, why not just take it there? It's super cheap and my boyfriend said it was easy (easier than GMU). He also took biochem at GMU (he had to because he is a biochem major).

My thesis supervisor said he would be on the look-out for jobs AND masters programs :)scared:) for me.

If I do a Masters program, I would have to upgrade... general chemistry I (maybe II), a composition course, genetics, animal science and stats before I am technically allowed to apply (I could write a letter to explain why these courses are outdated). I also will not have residency in a less competitive province. :scared:.

If I work for a year, I will have residency and will only have to upgrade general chemistry, an animal science and a composition course. But the chances of me finding a job for a year that is not fast food, retail or call center related is looking very slim. I will also lose my health benefits and have to fight to not start paying back my student loan.

Any upgrading I do from now on will have to come out of my own pocket (because of our loan system). Right now, my student line of credit is almost maxed (student loan wanted to give me enough... and then they took loan money away from me when I got a job to pay for what they didn't give me money for to begin with).

My supervisor is also willing to pay part of my way (out of his OWN POCKET) to attend a week long conference (Canadian Society of Zoologists) which is in the beginning of May. I have to be out of my current apartment the end of April. I was hoping to have a job lined up ASAP, but I have found nothing yet. Registration ends mid-March. I doubt I will have a job by then. If I get a job lined up after the registration date, I will not be able to go. I realllyyy want to go! I made some contacts from the vet school in December and they encouraged me to go as well.

Knowing I am not going to get into vet school this time around is really stressing me out.
(I know for a fact that I have like a slim to none chance based on my stats and the procedure that the school uses to narrow down the applicant pool)
I wish I knew exactly what my plan is going to be.

I apologize for this confusing rant of a post!

Last edited:
Wow, I had no idea that NoVA had biochem course, CHM 260 (3 credits). I would be totally up for that but I worry it wont be a comparable course to average/replace with my MSU biochem course, BMB 401 (4 credits).

I am trying to repair my GPA by replacing grades and applying to schools that do grade replacement. So, I am not sure that it would give me a greater advantage. Though taking it before BMB 401 would have given me a huge advantage.

Wow, I had no idea that NoVA had biochem course, CHM 260 (3 credits). I would be totally up for that but I worry it wont be a comparable course to average/replace with my MSU biochem course, BMB 401 (4 credits).

I am trying to repair my GPA by replacing grades and applying to schools that do grade replacement. So, I am not sure that it would give me a greater advantage. Though taking it before BMB 401 would have given me a huge advantage.

Oh, I see. I agree, it probably won't replace it. Bummer :(. Well, I think I mentioned this before, but my boyfriend enjoyed his biochem course at Mason. Good luck!! I'm sure it's easier than our BMB 401:scared::scared:

If you need a biochem course that has orgo as a prerequisite then the nvcc course is NOT the one you want it is an intro biochem course...I almost took biochem at GMU till I decided to go to a school that wouldnt require biochem with orgo as a prereq...I haven't heard anything negative about the biochem at GMU...it shouldn't be too bad! Are you already signed up to take courses at GMU? Cuz them you prob won't need to pay a fee but otherwise if you need to apply to take courses as a non degree student or whatever you may still need to pay it...

Yeah, I have half of my application complete... I have to apply as a non-degree, which = $$$$$ tuition money... I have calculated that the whole venture will cost ~$2,700... which sucks... If Oregon were to take me in last minute then... well I guess I got a biochem refresher course to help w the next years course work..

Yeah, I have half of my application complete... I have to apply as a non-degree, which = $$$$$ tuition money... I have calculated that the whole venture will cost ~$2,700... which sucks... If Oregon were to take me in last minute then... well I guess I got a biochem refresher course to help w the next years course work..

Hey there,
Is your $2,700 calculation just for one class? If so, I think that is high (unless you're including gas money into that equation - I'm not sure how far you are from campus). I took a 3-credit, 400-level Bio class at GMU this past fall. I also had to apply as a non-degree student (I think that was $70, like you said). The cost of the actual class was $1,133.25 (~$378/credit) and then there was a $60 Non-Degree Educational Resource Fee. In addition, I paid ~$170 for parking for the semester (I chose to park in the garage right next to the building because it was my cheapest and most convenient option). My parking and fuel costs were pretty reasonable because I chose a class that had longer lectures but only met once per week, so that helped a lot. Fuel might have cost me ~$100 for the semester (Leesburg -> Fairfax, 60mi/wk). I also didn't have to purchase a textbook. In total, the endeavor ran me ~$1,534. I hope that helps, and good luck! I also had my heart set on VMRCVM this year so I really do feel your pain!

The kicker (aka my rant):
In my file review last year, VMRCVM told me to take a class, "any class", that would help raise my last 45 GPA. Rather than taking a random/easy class, I chose to take a challenging 400-level Bio class on Vaccines & Immunology thinking it would show some dedication and give me an introduction to those topics for vet school. I shelled out over $1,500 to take that class and bring my last 45 GPA to a 3.6 and still haven't been offered an interview at VMRCVM, which is now my in-state school. I very well may have to reapply again next year (since they hold their interviews in one week and the only other school I have to hear from is Oklahoma OOS), which means I should retake the Organic Chem series (another ~$3,000+ down the tubes) and probably the GRE again. When you count the costs of taking these classes, changing my driver's license/registration to become a VA resident, two failed application cycles and the possible cost of a third, I will have spent over $7,000 out of pocket trying to get into vet school (nevermind my $60k worth of undergrad debt). Sometimes, I question my sanity :shrug::bang:

Hey there,
Is your $2,700 calculation just for one class? If so, I think that is high (unless you're including gas money into that equation - I'm not sure how far you are from campus). I took a 3-credit, 400-level Bio class at GMU this past fall. I also had to apply as a non-degree student (I think that was $70, like you said). The cost of the actual class was $1,133.25 (~$378/credit) and then there was a $60 Non-Degree Educational Resource Fee. In addition, I paid ~$170 for parking for the semester (I chose to park in the garage right next to the building because it was my cheapest and most convenient option). My parking and fuel costs were pretty reasonable because I chose a class that had longer lectures but only met once per week, so that helped a lot. Fuel might have cost me ~$100 for the semester (Leesburg -> Fairfax, 60mi/wk). I also didn't have to purchase a textbook. In total, the endeavor ran me ~$1,534. I hope that helps, and good luck! I also had my heart set on VMRCVM this year so I really do feel your pain!

The kicker (aka my rant):
In my file review last year, VMRCVM told me to take a class, "any class", that would help raise my last 45 GPA. Rather than taking a random/easy class, I chose to take a challenging 400-level Bio class on Vaccines & Immunology thinking it would show some dedication and give me an introduction to those topics for vet school. I shelled out over $1,500 to take that class and bring my last 45 GPA to a 3.6 and still haven't been offered an interview at VMRCVM, which is now my in-state school. I very well may have to reapply again next year (since they hold their interviews in one week and the only other school I have to hear from is Oklahoma OOS), which means I should retake the Organic Chem series (another ~$3,000+ down the tubes) and probably the GRE again. When you count the costs of taking these classes, changing my driver's license/registration to become a VA resident, two failed application cycles and the possible cost of a third, I will have spent over $7,000 out of pocket trying to get into vet school (nevermind my $60k worth of undergrad debt). Sometimes, I question my sanity :shrug::bang:

Ah, I am glad to see there is someone else in the area working as fervently to improve as me :oops:

I did intentionally make my estimate on the high end by looking at the application fee, assumed the most $$ for all the possible fees that they could tack on (so I know that I could plan to spend $$ much), and its a 4 credit class at ~$560 per credit (from what I understand... but if I am wrong in my tuition assessment please tell me, lol). I honestly didnt include gas or parking, I have been hoping that my estimate was over shot by a bit so that I would have enough money for that too (i know its an odd strategy).

I would be happy if ends up costing anything <$2,700... I am also trying to save up to move to Oregon (hopefully right after my summer biochem class)... and then I have to pay a lot in student loans when I am not in school, ugh.

It sucks taking time off to spend more money to go to school... and hope that it makes next year better. I totally understand the frustration with taking these courses and not reaping any benefit... I spent all last summer retaking physics :mad: and then nearly all the money from working on the side went into 10 very unsuccessful applications... sigh.

I save, save, save, save... and then all my money evaporates :eek: ! I am thinking of just selling my car before I move since the public transit is good where I will be living.

The IS rejection was painful... however, I cried the night everyone got an interview instead of the night I got rejected... Part of me is holding out still to make it off of the waitlist at Oregon State, which was my first choice :D... but the waiting is so painful and I might just have 7 mo of false-hope ahead of me ... :confused:

Okay, this may sound like a dumb question, but I guess I last cycle I enjoyed dealing with polite schools like CSU. How do you attain a file review from a school if they don't tell you directly who to contact? Should I just call the school and ask for one?

Dear IS school, can I trade my six OOS acceptances for your acceptance?

TWO alternate lists. Again. Although one is a different school, so....cool?

I am presently ignoring all the potential outcomes in favor of trying to get through my every day life.

Can I post here, too? Because I'm applying to a vet guarantee program, so if I get in, this summer I'll already know if I go to vet school in three years.

I had a few questions and sent the program an email on Friday. I know it hasn't been long since then, but the application is due on Thursday. Can't they at least in the last few days be a little more responsive? It's kind of important and really close to the deadline!

Can I post here, too? Because I'm applying to a vet guarantee program, so if I get in, this summer I'll already know if I go to vet school in three years.

I had a few questions and sent the program an email on Friday. I know it hasn't been long since then, but the application is due on Thursday. Can't they at least in the last few days be a little more responsive? It's kind of important and really close to the deadline!
Interesting. What is the application like?

It's kind of like a miniature version of vet school applications. Kind of. General question about your major (only certain majors can apply), GPA, completed hours (only freshmen can apply) etc. and then there are a few essay questions we have to answer. And a personal statement and your resume. Oh, and two recommendation letters, one having to be from a vet.

I am almost done. I just have to finish my resume and then write my PS. For which I have no clue what to write about.. :scared:

Later they will hold interviews for the finalists and decide by June who they'll accept. The committee consists of people of the Ag department and the vet school here.

But I had questions about the letters and about turning in the application. I hope they answer soon. :/

It's kind of like a miniature version of vet school applications. Kind of. General question about your major (only certain majors can apply), GPA, completed hours (only freshmen can apply) etc. and then there are a few essay questions we have to answer. And a personal statement and your resume. Oh, and two recommendation letters, one having to be from a vet.

I am almost done. I just have to finish my resume and then write my PS. For which I have no clue what to write about.. :scared:

Later they will hold interviews for the finalists and decide by June who they'll accept. The committee consists of people of the Ag department and the vet school here.

But I had questions about the letters and about turning in the application. I hope they answer soon. :/
Your application is due on Thursday and you haven't written your PS yet?:eek:

Well, I started and have written a few different things. I just don't really know what to use. A lot of things are already explained in the other questions, such as goals, interests, experiences etc. I'm having a hard time coming up with something that will show them something different about me.

Your application is due on Thursday and you haven't written your PS yet?:eek:

No sweat. I did this for my PS for this round. And I'm on 4 waitlists (Blerg). It's possible.

But then I was stressing and crying and pullin my hair out.

Definitely not recommended, but not the absolute end of the world. However, I had been taking notes on what I wanted to write about for like, 6 months and had a really rough draft.

Hop to it PetPony.

Like I said, I have been working on it. I just don't know what exactly to use.. Although I did think of something new during the night and will try to work it in after I'm done with my history paper today.

Today TigerWillow was brave enough to call Penn, on behalf of those of us still waiting, to find out what is going on. She was told that there will be no more interviews and that our rejections will be coming soon. It's sad for all of us, but many have been accepted and/or waitlisted at other schools. I have no doubt those of you who have these options will be successful wherever you land. For the rest of us, it's time for Plan B. For many, Plan B will be reapplication followed by improving odds through more coursework, improved GRE scores and/or more experience. As for me, I will be going in a different direction in the hope of being admitted to medical school (probably osteopathic). I actually started studying for the MCAT after being rejected from both Cornell and Tufts, and so it helps to know that I am already working toward a new goal. I am in my early 50's and don't have as much time to try this again, and (at the risk of bragging, my grades and scores are already top notch). For those of you who don't know it, I was a veterinary student years ago at Cornell; but I left vet school because I was overwhelmed trying to juggle being both a mom and a vet student at the same time. It was always my dream, though, as everyone here can understand. And so, since my kids are no longer kids, I wanted to give it another shot. I felt I owed it to myself to try this again. I am now quite certain that the reason for my lack of success in gaining admission this time is because of having quit before. I had my chance, and now it's time for others to have theirs. At least I can now put this dream to rest so it's not still pecking away at me for the rest of my life. I can't say enough about the people I've "met" here on pre-veterinary SDN. The struggles, tears, failures and joys we've been through together are something I'll never forget. I admire the passion, drive and bravery of each and every one of you. Some of you are going through major relationship problems, financial burdens beyond anything I've ever known, illnesses and deaths of parents; yet still you forge ahead. I know that I will always have some regret about not living my life as a vet. But I hope to find fulfillment with some of the same feelings of helping others using my compassion, intelligence and love of science and medicine in the human medical field.

Omg this is too touching :(. I never knew you were actually a student at Cornell. They are ALL missing out on such a wonderful lady. I will be sad that the DOs will have our SDN mom.