The Support Group - A place for admissions-related rants and worries.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Can I just say that this discussion would only be held on a pre-vet forum.

Continue

Only on a pre-vet forum would someone want it to continue... ;)

Members don't see this ad.

We had a rabbit come in with a huge abscess on it's face, and when we cut into it, I felt like I should've had a bagel handy. It was literally like cream cheese or laughing cow cheese color and texture. I haven't eaten either since.... :barf:
And the poor little guy never made it, the infection was throughout his whole face :(

Just adding to the abcess discussion here...

We had slightly nutty F1 cow come here a few years back that had a major abcess just in front of its left scapula. We were running her up the alley into the squeeze chute, and the dude technician was standing there ready to catch her head. That cow hit the headgate of that squeeze chute with so much force that the abcess exploded in his face- all over his glasses and in his mouth.

I was impressed that he only gagged and didn't actually vomit.

Members don't see this ad :)

We had slightly nutty F1 cow come here a few years back that had a major abcess just in front of its left scapula. We were running her up the alley into the squeeze chute, and the dude technician was standing there ready to catch her head. That cow hit the headgate of that squeeze chute with so much force that the abcess exploded in his face- all over his glasses and in his mouth.

::races to the bathroom::

BLERG!!!!

The volume of pus that cow abscesses produce is slightly ridiculous.
On the other hand, I would likely vomit.

The volume of pus that cow abscesses produce is slightly ridiculous.
On the other hand, I would likely vomit.

There seems to be nothing more satisfying in life though then draining an abscess of puss.

I love pus. More than is acceptable. But if an abscess ruptured in my mouth ....?!?! I would indeed vomit ....

And yet I still call large purulent abscesses "yummy." (Just want to clarify that this in no way means that I ever want abscess pus anywhere near my face/mouth.)

I thought it was weird that that was my first reaction at seeing one abscess in particular at work, but then another tech who hadn't heard me called the same abscess "yummy" also, so...

Members don't see this ad :)
I reeeeally like lancing goat abscesses (endless supply at my school's units). Very satisfying business. Not in the mouth though...

I need help!! So I know this isn't a bad problem to have, but I cannot choose a school for the life of me. I just need someone to pick for me. Kansas, Mississippi, RVC.....go!

I need help!! So I know this isn't a bad problem to have, but I cannot choose a school for the life of me. I just need someone to pick for me. Kansas, Mississippi, RVC.....go!

Errrrr. I wish I had this problem.

What area would you rather live in? What are the cost differences? Where could you see yourself for four years? Rvc is a pretty long flight away-can you handle being in a different country for that long? What one has the best program for you??

You will know it eventually :)

Errrrr. I wish I had this problem.

What area would you rather live in? What are the cost differences? Where could you see yourself for four years? Rvc is a pretty long flight away-can you handle being in a different country for that long? What one has the best program for you??

You will know it eventually :)
I'd much rather live in London than Kansas or Mississippi, but it kinda bugs me that I'd graduate with my Bachelors of Vet Science instead of the DVM I'd get from a US school. RVC's tuition is a few thousand less than Kansas, but the cost of living will make it about the same. I also have a ton of family in Europe so I'd be fine being away from the family that I have in America. However, I've been told that Kansas has a better reputation than Mississippi, but I liked Mississippi's program best since you're in clinicals for the last 2 years. I'm so torn! Each school has its pros and cons and I can't decide which are the most important ones..

I'd much rather live in London than Kansas or Mississippi, but it kinda bugs me that I'd graduate with my Bachelors of Vet Science instead of the DVM I'd get from a US school. RVC's tuition is a few thousand less than Kansas, but the cost of living will make it about the same. I also have a ton of family in Europe so I'd be fine being away from the family that I have in America. However, I've been told that Kansas has a better reputation than Mississippi, but I liked Mississippi's program best since you're in clinicals for the last 2 years. I'm so torn! Each school has its pros and cons and I can't decide which are the most important ones..

Well, if Mississippi is cheaper than Kansas and you like the program better - I think that would be the best bet.

I sure wish I had your problem... :(

Thank GOD that gross discussion is over. I love y'all, but I've been avoiding this thread like the plague! Lol.

I am having a similar issue with Dublin- I already have a bachelors and almost a masters- I don't want another bachelors- I wanna be a freakin DOCTOR, dammit!!! Granted, I am not in at Dublin yet, just thinking about it if it happens.

The settling in of me possibly going to Grenada is starting to hit me and I broke down with my boyfriend today :( I should be elated, and I absolutely am, but I am also terrified. On a good note, he did express to me today (on his own) that he wants to take care of my big furry girl while I'm gone. So thankful... :biglove:

I'm currently freaking out a bit and can't seem to make a decision. I got into Glasgow, which I am excited about but am freaking out more than I thought I would be. I thought I would be beyond excited to just have the chance to go, but I keep flip flopping on how I feel. Glasgow is the only school I've gotten into this year and I am wait listed at two places in the states but since I won't find out until after April 15th, I kind of have to make a decision. =/

Of my worries, money is obviously one of them since it's a 5 year program. Didn't apply to Edinburgh or RVC because I didn't want to live in either of those two cities having been there when I traveled abroad (plus Glasgow has a cheaper cost of living). For some reason, going to school somewhere I haven't been is appealing to me. I've also heard great things about Glasgow as a city so it kind of drew me there. However, the extra year of loans is freaking me out. According to my calculations (and I rounded up even) I'll be graduating with around the same amount of debt if I had gone to my IS (thanks Penn...) but it's still a lot ( about 270k if I did everything correctly) since I pretty much will be relying entirely on loans for everything. I don't come from a well to do family and the money I worked for in previous years was used to help pay for undergrad, which I have ~30k of debt from there (not bad considering I was OOS at a private school). So obviously, I'm terrified of the debt, but I knew that going into it but it's just now more of a reality.

Then there is leaving everyone in the states. My parents are getting up there so I'm definitely worried about them and any health problems. My sister is a freshman in college and is having some difficulty, so I worry about her. My dog is 11 years old so I worry that he'll have to be put to sleep while I'm gone. And obviously there's my grandparents and everyone else I worry about too. There's also the new bf, who wasn't in the picture when I first applied and I really don't want to break up with someone again just because I have to move across the world. My ex and I broke up because of that. He's currently a med student in the UK (from there...well Germany really) and we met when I studied abroad in England. That break up sucked and I don't want to go through something similar but I also don't want to regret not going because of a guy. I'm also kind of scared of possibly seeing my ex because he's already said he'd come visit and stuff. =/

And while I know things are better in regards to this, I'm still a little worried about people looking down on me for not going to a state side school. I know it's kind of a stupid concern but it's there in the back of my mind.

My other huge worry is that if I don't go, I'm terrified I won't get in again. I was wait listed at a few places last year and in regards to those schools, I did worse this application round than I did the first year, even though I improved my application. So I'm absolutely terrified of this being my only shot.

On the flip side, it would be soooo awesome to live in the UK again. I loved it there and the fact that I can practice in wayyy more countries is kind of awesome. Plus, I'll be in a city (or near it really since I'll prob live closer to the vet school) is a huge bonus. So deep down I'm excited, but am getting a little bit of cold feet it seems.

I'm currently freaking out a bit and can't seem to make a decision. I got into Glasgow, which I am excited about but am freaking out more than I thought I would be. I thought I would be beyond excited to just have the chance to go, but I keep flip flopping on how I feel. Glasgow is the only school I've gotten into this year and I am wait listed at two places in the states but since I won't find out until after April 15th, I kind of have to make a decision. =/

Of my worries, money is obviously one of them since it's a 5 year program. Didn't apply to Edinburgh or RVC because I didn't want to live in either of those two cities having been there when I traveled abroad (plus Glasgow has a cheaper cost of living). For some reason, going to school somewhere I haven't been is appealing to me. I've also heard great things about Glasgow as a city so it kind of drew me there. However, the extra year of loans is freaking me out. According to my calculations (and I rounded up even) I'll be graduating with around the same amount of debt if I had gone to my IS (thanks Penn...) but it's still a lot ( about 270k if I did everything correctly) since I pretty much will be relying entirely on loans for everything. I don't come from a well to do family and the money I worked for in previous years was used to help pay for undergrad, which I have ~30k of debt from there (not bad considering I was OOS at a private school). So obviously, I'm terrified of the debt, but I knew that going into it but it's just now more of a reality.

Then there is leaving everyone in the states. My parents are getting up there so I'm definitely worried about them and any health problems. My sister is a freshman in college and is having some difficulty, so I worry about her. My dog is 11 years old so I worry that he'll have to be put to sleep while I'm gone. And obviously there's my grandparents and everyone else I worry about too. There's also the new bf, who wasn't in the picture when I first applied and I really don't want to break up with someone again just because I have to move across the world. My ex and I broke up because of that. He's currently a med student in the UK (from there...well Germany really) and we met when I studied abroad in England. That break up sucked and I don't want to go through something similar but I also don't want to regret not going because of a guy. I'm also kind of scared of possibly seeing my ex because he's already said he'd come visit and stuff. =/

And while I know things are better in regards to this, I'm still a little worried about people looking down on me for not going to a state side school. I know it's kind of a stupid concern but it's there in the back of my mind.

My other huge worry is that if I don't go, I'm terrified I won't get in again. I was wait listed at a few places last year and in regards to those schools, I did worse this application round than I did the first year, even though I improved my application. So I'm absolutely terrified of this being my only shot.

On the flip side, it would be soooo awesome to live in the UK again. I loved it there and the fact that I can practice in wayyy more countries is kind of awesome. Plus, I'll be in a city (or near it really since I'll prob live closer to the vet school) is a huge bonus. So deep down I'm excited, but am getting a little bit of cold feet it seems.

This is a totally normal reaction. Trust me. I know it was when I was accepted to Edinburgh - for me, it turned out to be a good decision NOT to go, but for plenty of people who do go, it is a great choice and they love it. You wouldn't be human if you weren't thinking these things!

If you are considering declining the acceptance and worst case scenario are not taken off the waitlists at the other schools, can you improve your application and sit out another year? If you want to decline the acceptance, make sure you can dramatically improve your application to increase your chances of getting into an IS school.

If you are considering declining the acceptance and worst case scenario are not taken off the waitlists at the other schools, can you improve your application and sit out another year? If you want to decline the acceptance, make sure you can dramatically improve your application to increase your chances of getting into an IS school.

I can, but I'm not sure how dramatic of an improvement it would be. Obviously, I still need to talk to all the schools to figure out their reasons for rejecting me. I know already that I'll retake the GRE if I don't got to Glasgow ( my score wasn't horrible but apparently it isn't high enough). And unfortunately, my IS is Penn which doesn't really favor us IS all that much anymore.

I can, but I'm not sure how dramatic of an improvement it would be. Obviously, I still need to talk to all the schools to figure out their reasons for rejecting me. I know already that I'll retake the GRE if I don't got to Glasgow ( my score wasn't horrible but apparently it isn't high enough). And unfortunately, my IS is Penn which doesn't really favor us IS all that much anymore.

Sorry I didnt mean only your IS school, I meant schools in the U.S. There are cheaper options for OOS applicants in the states.

I think if you are considering rejecting the acceptance, you have to make sure you will have the time and drive to really improve your application for next year. If you cannot ensure that you can make that type of improvement, I would consider glasgow more closely. In addition, I would also increase the number of schools you apply to (not sure how many you applied to).

For example, I applied last cycle and got waitlisted at a few schools. I retook the GRE and a few more pre-reqs and tripled my experience hours. In addition, I also applied to 14 schools to decrease my chances of not getting in anywhere.

Sorry I didnt mean only your IS school, I meant schools in the U.S. There are cheaper options for OOS applicants in the states.

I think if you are considering rejecting the acceptance, you have to make sure you will have the time and drive to really improve your application for next year. If you cannot ensure that you can make that type of improvement, I would consider glasgow more closely. In addition, I would also increase the number of schools you apply to (not sure how many you applied to).

For example, I applied last cycle and got waitlisted at a few schools. I retook the GRE and a few more pre-reqs and tripled my experience hours. In addition, I also applied to 14 schools to decrease my chances of not getting in anywhere.

My first time I applied to 5 schools. This time 9 because that's all I can afford and qualify for. In doing so, I pretty much used up most of my money. My micro class transferred from the UK as an awkward number of credits, so it screwed me over. I had planned to retake it but couldn't get in anywhere and couldn't afford it. I missed Penn by two spots my first year. They rejected me after my interview this year. Tufts flat out rejected me this year when I was wait listed last year. My first year I applied with like 80 vet hours and now have ~1000 in SA, which I told schools that allowed me to update them on my progress. I also told them I was starting to shadow an equine vet during my interviews. Have about ~30 hours there now. I've been in contact with large animal vets but nothing's worked out and I don't live in an area where many of those vets are located. Most are at least a half hour away. I also have 8 shadowing a veterinary neurologist who I plan to go shadow again.

I would definitely work hard to improve my application, but a lot of it honestly comes down to money. I can't afford to apply to 14 schools. I could barely afford 9, in addition to possibly taking additional pre-req and retaking micro. I'm still gaining small animal hours currently but who knows how long that will last cause I'm working a temporary position PT for the clinic that laid me off last month. I've applied for jobs elsewhere, but who knows what will come of it. I just know I can't continue working around minimum wage for an extended period of time and would prefer not to pursue a master's just to get into vet school because I really don't need the additional debt...although the research experience would be beneficial.

Not related to the current discussion on choosing schools but I need to rant. I am feeling crazy. I am still taking undergrad courses, in the [likely] event I do not get into the one and only school I applied to, my IS. I have about three weeks until I hear about whether I made it. It's all I can think about, and I am sitting here trying to study cell bio and for my microbio midterm in two days, and all I can do is reread the acceptance procedure and last years class statistics for the millionth time. The semester has been going well so far. Now I'm getting worried that I am going to tank it if I get that rejection letter and ruin my chances next year, but I just can't seem to stop myself. Advice on how to ignore the anxiety and suspense and focus on what has to happen NOW is greatly appreciated!

Egads. All very legitimate concerns. Listen to your mind and your heart, is my best advice. They both do matter. My 'little voice' started screaming once I moved to Edinburgh for vet school. Just be true to yourself. One thing to strongly consider...deferring a year. This might be the best of all worlds for you, but you'd have to start busting it on improving your app so you can apply again in a few short months.

I'm sorry...I know how difficult it is.

Aww Bisbee :( You are like the mom I wish I had, always supportive and reminding us that life goes on even after set backs. Good luck with your future plans :luck: I hope your kids know how lucky they are!

+1,000 :thumbup::thumbup:

I'm sorry Orca. I know it's all very stressful. I know you said money was an issue but maybe you could pay the Glasgow deposit to hold your spot but go to a US school if you get off the waitlist? I don't think you would regret going to Glasgow but that's just me. ;) I hope you can decide with confidence soon.

OT: I'm curious as to why you don't like Edinburgh. I've never been and I am very interested in the pros and cons of Edinburgh!

Egads. All very legitimate concerns. Listen to your mind and your heart, is my best advice. They both do matter. My 'little voice' started screaming once I moved to Edinburgh for vet school. Just be true to yourself. One thing to strongly consider...deferring a year. This might be the best of all worlds for you, but you'd have to start busting it on improving your app so you can apply again in a few short months.

I'm sorry...I know how difficult it is.

:thumbup: I knew you would come through for her, flyhi. Sound advice, indeed. Orca - know you've got everyone's support no matter your decision. You simply have to do what's best for you.

Hang in there!

I'm sorry Orca. I know it's all very stressful. I know you said money was an issue but maybe you could pay the Glasgow deposit to hold your spot but go to a US school if you get off the waitlist? I don't think you would regret going to Glasgow but that's just me. ;) I hope you can decide with confidence soon.

OT: I'm curious as to why you don't like Edinburgh. I've never been and I am very interested in the pros and cons of Edinburgh!

Oh, I like Edinburgh. It had nothing to do with that. I guess, I felt the city was a bit more touristy than I wanted for school, but Glasgow could be the same in reality. I think part of it could have been a subconscious effort to try to separate my junior year abroad from my time in vet school, especially since one of the last dates my ex and I did was a trip to Edinburgh cause he hadn't been there yet. I guess I didn't want to have the potential reminder in case we didn't get back together (which is what I wanted all of last year). When I first applied to Glasgow during my senior year, I think part of it was so I could be close in case we wanted to try to work things out, but be far enough away that if it didn't, nothing would damper my experience.

Oh, I like Edinburgh. It had nothing to do with that. I guess, I felt the city was a bit more touristy than I wanted for school, but Glasgow could be the same in reality. I think part of it could have been a subconscious effort to try to separate my junior year abroad from my time in vet school, especially since one of the last dates my ex and I did was a trip to Edinburgh cause he hadn't been there yet. I guess I didn't want to have the potential reminder in case we didn't get back together (which is what I wanted all of last year). When I first applied to Glasgow during my senior year, I think part of it was so I could be close in case we wanted to try to work things out, but be far enough away that if it didn't, nothing would damper my experience.
Well thank you for the explanation. :)

Edinburgh and Glasgow are definitely VERY different - personally I adore Edinburgh, but Glasgow is kind of meh in my book. ;)

If you're having doubts, and want to talk to people who decided to defer or not to go, feel free to PM me - flyhi is a good person to talk to as well about it! If you can, I'd strongly recommend visiting the school and the city and seeing how you feel about it. I found that even though I'd been to Edinburgh a number of times, going and spending a day at the school really helped me make a decision.

NOOOOO!!!!! :mad: What the Bloody ELL???? GAAAAAAHHHHHH!!!! Stupid, stupid, stupid

And yes, I KNOW. Omfg. Waitlisted at Tufts and OKSU at present, have spoken to both about updating my file between now and April 15th, already have a file review set up with Tufts, and the current plan (apart from voodoo) is to be politely, annoyingly persistent for the rest of the spring. :rolleyes:

And yes, I KNOW. Omfg. Waitlisted at Tufts and OKSU at present, have spoken to both about updating my file between now and April 15th, already have a file review set up with Tufts, and the current plan (apart from voodoo) is to be politely, annoyingly persistent for the rest of the spring. :rolleyes:

I'm at the same spot as you. Hopefully I'll hear back from Davis and remove my lovely butt from your fellow waitlists (not that I believe I'm I'm front of you, but less people for tufts to compare you to)

Wishing the best to my honorary highly esteemed member of the sock drawer brotherhood.

I'm not really sure where to ask this question...
I was accepted IS at a school and was wondering if any other proof of residency is requested after you are accepted at schools for tuition purposes?! Or is the initial application where that's screened? Thanks in advance everyone.

Voodoo not necessary, I'm working on a hit list ;)

Thanks for the advice and support everyone! Still don't have any idea what I'm going to do but it's nice to be able to talk to people who understand what I'm going through. My parents and everyone else don't quite get it. For some reason, I thought you couldn't defer with the UK schools? I forget where I heard that and have no idea if it's true or not. Also, there is no way I can afford to go visit Glasgow before accepting. =(

We can update files even though we're waitlisted? Wonder if it's worth my while...

Gosh darn it Tufts admissions. I just called to set up my application review with them and unfortunately my schedule doesn't really work with theirs, so they're going to email me first and go from there. Then when Patty Finger asked who was calling and I told her my name, she was like "Oh hi Orca!!!...how are you?? I'm so sorry it didn't work out this year" and was so nice and now I'm crying. Them and their overabundance of niceness.

I was wondering the same thing....

I'm not sure Illinois will allow it. I tried to update them during the process with some extra hours and new experience and they told me that it wouldn't be added to my file. Maybe it's different now that that bulk of the procedure is over though.

I will totally email OK though if it's allowed. I'll have to double check to see what I sent them last time I updated them though.

We can update files even though we're waitlisted? Wonder if it's worth my while...

Oh honey, YES. :laugh: It can't hurt, can it? Tufts is especially open to updates. Anna at OKSU said that I was welcome to send things - most significant would be updates to my experience, and that things like retaking the GRE would not be counted this cycle.

Gosh darn it Tufts admissions. I just called to set up my application review with them and unfortunately my schedule doesn't really work with theirs, so they're going to email me first and go from there. Then when Patty Finger asked who was calling and I told her my name, she was like "Oh hi Orca!!!...how are you?? I'm so sorry it didn't work out this year" and was so nice and now I'm crying. Them and their overabundance of niceness.
Oh my gosh I know. Patty is just the NICEST person. Not that everyone there isn't, but she never fails to remember who I am and ask how I'm doing.

Oh honey, YES. :laugh: It can't hurt, can it? Tufts is especially open to updates. Anna at OKSU said that I was welcome to send things - most significant would be updates to my experience, and that things like retaking the GRE would not be counted this cycle.

Hmmm... Not sure how much I can add. Simply just 1000s of hours at my full time job. But, I've gotten new experiences there such as long term (days of) ventilated anesthesia and some new surgical experience. Wonder if stuff like that would be worth sending along. Guess I could call Anna or Dr. Meinkoth and see given that they're both amazingly nice!! Though I have been trying to get in touch with Dr. Meinkoth for about a week now to work out a little speed bump that she's been kind enough to help with. She's normally really prompt, but I haven't heard from her. Hopefully she's just on a well deserved break!

Hmmm... Not sure how much I can add. Simply just 1000s of hours at my full time job. But, I've gotten new experiences there such as long term (days of) ventilated anesthesia and some new surgical experience. Wonder if stuff like that would be worth sending along. Guess I could call Anna or Dr. Meinkoth and see given that they're both amazingly nice!! Though I have been trying to get in touch with Dr. Meinkoth for about a week now to work out a little speed bump that she's been kind enough to help with. She's normally really prompt, but I haven't heard from her. Hopefully she's just on a well deserved break!

It certainly can't hurt to call and ask - Anna was really nice when I called to ask about adding things, and explaining what would carry weight and what wouldn't. The worst they're going to do is ignore it.

I don't want to sound stupid, but I am having trouble with my decision of going to vet school all of a sudden....

Vet school has been my Plan B my whole life, only because my Plan A is even more of a ridiculous goal. I was pretty much born to be on stage, it's where I feel most comfortable. So I have been pursuing a poor, struggling broadway star lifestyle for a while now lol. I know, that may sound ridiculous to many of you, but it's what I LOVE to do. I don't care about being famous, but it makes me happy to be on stage performing. As long as I can do some local theatre musicals, that is all I need, but I am worried now that I will never have time :(. Someone just tell me I will please :oops: :laugh:

I don't want to sound stupid, but I am having trouble with my decision of going to vet school all of a sudden....

Vet school has been my Plan B my whole life, only because my Plan A is even more of a ridiculous goal. I was pretty much born to be on stage, it's where I feel most comfortable. So I have been pursuing a poor, struggling broadway star lifestyle for a while now lol. I know, that may sound ridiculous to many of you, but it's what I LOVE to do. I don't care about being famous, but it makes me happy to be on stage performing. As long as I can do some local theatre musicals, that is all I need, but I am worried now that I will never have time :(. Someone just tell me I will please :oops: :laugh:

Flexible times will probably play more of a role than anything, and your time might vary from semester to semester. IMO, there is ALWAYS time for an afternoon or evening off here and there- just keep up with things and have good time management. I work 2 weekends a month, have a horse I ride 3-4x a week, take the dogs to the lake a few times a week, cook/bake/can, etc. Could I study more? Sure. Do I want to? Nah, I'd rather be sane. But like I said, the flexibility is important. If I have a big exam the next day, I have the freedom to move things around a bit to give myeslf some extra study time. I might still take 1-2 hours to go see the horse, but the lake adventures with the dog will wait till a free afternoon.

I knew a girl that was denied the first time she applied. We were all shocked! She had a gpa of like 3.89, like 5000 hours of vet experience including reasearch, SA, LA, everything you could imagine, and she was pressident of the pre-vet club. She was an incredible applicant, but she took it as a sign that she should pursure her other dream. She is now an actress in TV shows, and I believe a brodway show coming up. She seems really happy. Go where your heart says to go but know that rarely does a situation turn out exactly as you hope it will.