The ultimate COVID thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I think NY really was caught off guard by this and its easier to have a plan in place than try to come up with one when your hospitals are full and you're desperate to make sure you have enough beds for new sick people

I get what you're saying. I just can't come up with even one good reason to send COVID+ patients back to the well established highest risk group of patients. If even 1 patient turns positive, there's a good chance that vacated bed is already accounted for. Knowing how insidious this thing is, it's highly probable that if you get any spread at all, it's going to be to more than 1 person. The caregiver is most likely to contract the illness if isolation is observed--and also be taking care of several other patients and interacting with other staff. I don't fully blame Cuomo. There are undoubtedly several people that advocated for this within his administration. It took more than 2 months to reverse this decision and now there's serious question about how the state is "cooking the numbers", presumably to look better. Just like Trump completely absolving himself of guilt, Cuomo said something along the lines of "God didn't stop this thing, we did" and then "who are you going to sue? God? Nature?". That's a whole news cycle if it comes from the other side of the aisle.

The bigger issues I have is:

1) This perpetual lie being propagated that there's one party that knows how to handle every situation because they believe in "science"

2) The bias in coverage related to how this is being handled by Democrats vs Republicans

There's this narrative that one party exclusively uses science while the other ignores it fully. It's a very tangible counter example to that narrative and naturally receives little media attention until hammered home by the opposing team. The lack of attention being paid to second and third effects that are quite predictable is astonishing, but unsurprising. We've see it time and time again both through this pandemic and prior. I just wish people were more critical of the narratives going around or better yet, we had an unbiased media that could be trusted. It's a full time job fact checking, of which most people don't want or have the time to do. This thing should never have been politicized on any level. We should all be rooting for each other to succeed and learning from failures where they exist. Instead of covering and investigating this story and potentially preventing some of these nursing home deaths, we got stories about DeSantis and Kemp sacrificing grandma at the altar of the economy. Even IF that were a true story, this portrayal of COVID-19 as a dichotomous choice between life and death is completely asinine. No other public policy is treated this way, nor should it be.

The only way news is ever going to change is if we, the consumer, demand it so through consumption changes.

Members don't see this ad.

• Love
Reactions: 4 users
NY had Javits and Comfort fully set up and ready to go. Every day for weeks we saw Cuomo doing his press conference with stacks of PPE behind him, sitting unused, at the Javits Center. They had something like 1500 extra beds with these two places and the supplies to match. Everyday I thought to myself, why are nursing homes (supposedly/reportedly) going without adequate PPE while stacks of it sit, unused, at the Javits?

I live in NE, and my state is hard hit by Covid. For those who have accused me of 'trolling' for kicks, let me say this: I've probably been involved in the care of more Covid+ than most of you. I came here to SDN to read and learn from others. There's been a lot of contradictory info posted, but that's what happens when the 'experts' flip flop and reverse course and science gets politicized. Example: CDC now saying virus doesn't spread very much on surfaces. This whole thing has been 'garbage in garbage out' as far as the data is concerned. Why did it take 15 weeks for the CDC to come to this conclusion? Seems like a pretty simple and easy experiment to perform and conclude. Our so-called science experts have been shown to be bumbling idiots (or worse), IMO.

Certain things don't even require data. They are pure common sense--like the elderly and infirmed are at highest risk. In my own community, one LTC facility was asking for donations of long sleeved shirts. They had volunteers cutting the sleeves off and sewing them to Johnny coats to create long-sleeved PPE for their staff. Meanwhile a 600-bed field hospital was built and stocked. It never saw one patient. It was decommissioned a few weeks ago after never being used. The idea was to use it for spill over when my hospital got to 90% capacity, but we haven't gone above 80% (still no electives). Why couldn't they have used it to move all Covid+ LTC patients out of the facilities and away from the Covid- patients? We also have other facilities, like unused unit at a VA hospital, that could have easily been used for this. The way the nursing home staff and patients here have been treated is shameful. They were basically given an impossible task, even without admitting Covid + patients. Add that juggernaut, and it was a recipe for disaster. IMO, the amount of elderly deaths is the result of 2 main forces: the inability of governmental bureaucracy to quickly pivot to serve the needs of its citizens and the elderly and infirmed being placed at the bottom of the priority list.
Well, this above is not trolling. This is informative and contributes to a thread instead of antagonizing like you often like to do.
Admit it, you often like to get people riled up on here and can be a little callous at times. No?

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
China and the US have starkly different responses to COVID outbreaks. In many communities in the USA, 130 new cases and 2 deaths in a population of 27million would be a reason to celebrate and open up restaurants and hair salons.

“The latest outbreak is concentrated in Jilin, a northeastern province of 27 million people that sits near China’s borders with Russia and North Korea. Jilin has reported a small outbreak of about 130 cases and two deaths, but experts there have warned of the threat of a “big explosion.”

Officials have already mobilized the police and Communist Party groups to make sure residents comply with the lockdown. Tens of thousands of people are being tested for the virus and thousands rounded up into hospitals for quarantine. The central government has signaled its displeasure about the outbreak, dismissing five local officials and sending top leaders to the province to conduct inspections.”

Well, this above is not trolling. This is informative and contributes to a thread instead of antagonizing like you often like to do.
Admit it, you often like to get people riled up on here and can be a little callous at times. No?
I am not in control of other people's emotions and responses to what I state as my personal knowledge, opinions, and perspectives. There are many, many, many times when I bite my tongue and choose not to engage on a topic or with a poster with whom I disagree, here and in other forums. Statistically, I don't post much. I'm more of a reader.

My stating my opinions from time to time doesn't equate to my seeking out arguments or fighting with other posters. BTW, I see a heck of a lot of outright fighting on this forum which doesn't get shutdown, and that's fine with me. I just want the rules to be enforced equally, despite my political leanings. I just happen to be in (what I believe is) the silent majority. Whereas, (I believe) the majority of vocal posters here have a deep hatred for President Trump which IMO clouds their interpretation of all information and discussion. Regardless of my political viewpoint, I have my own opinions, the right to state them, and my own personal style of writing which happens to be formal and confident (as opposed to others who are short and snarky, serial article posters, sarcastic, etc. We each have our own style of writing). And, yes, from time to time the TDS gets on my nerves and I impulsively snap back. I'm human, too.

Reactions: 2 users
The whole Florida numbers thing is a he-said vs. she-said issue. None of us have any clue. Subjectively, I know the Miami hospitals haven’t been hit like NYC, but maybe that changes.

Not that it justifies anybody doing anything, but there’s evidence that several states are “fudging numbers”. It certainly doesn’t help that at surface level the news appears to be driving a narrative.

FWIW, Florida and NY have very similar population numbers. DeSantis and Co. made it a clear priority to protect nursing homes while Cuomo made it law to send COVID+ patients back. Last best guess estimates were that nursing homes accounted for ~50% of NY deaths.

Sorry too busy to go back and find the article. But someone posted an article a few pages ago and it seems that MOST states have had a large percentage of deaths from nursing homes. Some states were around 30-40%, while other states were 50%+. So I don't think that's unique to NY. Of course the nursing home population in general is going to be more susceptible to dying.

Oops, actually found it:
This says that for NY state 20% of deaths were from nursing homes and FL 42%.
You can see the rest of the states in the article, a lot over 40%.
Obviously these numbers are only as good as the data collected and reported.

And, yes, from time to time the TDS gets on my nerves and I impulsively snap back. I'm human, too.

I think it's strange that people still use the phrase "Trump Derangement Syndrome" unironically....... as if we are the abnormal ones for being perplexed, annoyed, and shocked that we have a President of the United States of America who not too long ago asked whether we could inject bleach and deepthroat lightwands to cure COVID.

• Love
Reactions: 6 users
I think it's strange that people still use the phrase "Trump Derangement Syndrome" unironically....... as if we are the abnormal ones for being perplexed, annoyed, and shocked that we have a President of the United States of America who not too long ago asked whether we could inject bleach and deepthroat lightwands to cure COVID.
I hear once you go lightwand you never go back...

But I digress: TDS still is absolutely a thing in some areas. There are people out there who would find something wrong with anything Trump did no matter how good it might actually be. That being said, TDS is absolutely over used by supporters of the president.

But I digress: TDS still is absolutely a thing in some areas.

See, the thing is, this phenomenon has existed with pretty much all presidents probably since the mid-90s when both sides went nuclear with the partisanship. Mitch McConnell is on record saying "the single most important thing we want to achieve is for President Obama to be a one-term president," which is about the most deranged thing a public servant could say, but it's not like we went about inventing new syndromes after he said it. It's been pretty uniquely trump and his ilk who have weaponized "dissatisfaction from the opposing party" in this particular way because doing so is useful to gaslight people into thinking that all criticism of the current administration is unfounded.

Reactions: 5 users
See, the thing is, this phenomenon has existed with pretty much all presidents probably since the mid-90s when both sides went nuclear with the partisanship. Mitch McConnell is on record saying "the single most important thing we want to achieve is for President Obama to be a one-term president," which is about the most deranged thing a public servant could say, but it's not like we went about inventing new syndromes after he said it. It's been pretty uniquely trump and his ilk who have weaponized "dissatisfaction from the opposing party" in this particular way because doing so is useful to gaslight people into thinking that all criticism of the current administration is unfounded.

I think Trump is unique that basically every previous president (or nominee) from his own party thinks (or would think) he is doing a poor job, or at least every recent one. I mean we all know how he got along with McCain and Romney. His relationship with the Bush family is well known. I mean do we think Reagan would have liked him?

If you ever voted for a Republican for president, that person probably hates or hated Trump. That's fascinating to me.

Yeah people were aghast when Obama wore a tan suit during a press conference.
These are some "fun" quotes:

Longtime Rep. Pete King (R-N.Y.) said at the time that the suit showed a “lack of seriousness” taken by the president, saying: “There’s no way I don’t think any of us can excuse what the president did yesterday.”

"ISIS is watching,” he continued. “If you were the head of ISIS, if you were Baghdadi, if you were anyone in the ISIS, would you come away from yesterday afraid of the United States? Would you be afraid that the United States was going to use all its power to crush ISIS? Or would you think here’s a person who’s going to go out and do a few fundraisers over the Labor Day weekend?”

Other critics asked what message the president was trying to send with the suit.

Fox Business commentator Lou Dobbs said then that he thought the suit was “shocking to a lot of people” and asked on Twitter, “What message is the President trying to send?”

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users
I think Trump is unique that basically every previous president (or nominee) from his own party thinks (or would think) he is doing a poor job, or at least every recent one. I mean we all know how he got along with McCain and Romney. His relationship with the Bush family is well known. I mean do we think Reagan would have liked him?

If you ever voted for a Republican for president, that person probably hates or hated Trump. That's fascinating to me.

Along with "Trump Derangement Syndrome" they had to invent a new term for these people too....so-called "Never Trumpers." Because again, it can't be that bonafide Republicans have actual, legitimate grievances with trump- the problem must be personal, and the problem must be with them.

• Love

Dow at 24,474. This is textbook denial, while the previous GDP will be MIA for a good while.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah people were aghast when Obama wore a tan suit during a press conference.
These are some "fun" quotes:

Longtime Rep. Pete King (R-N.Y.) said at the time that the suit showed a “lack of seriousness” taken by the president, saying: “There’s no way I don’t think any of us can excuse what the president did yesterday.”

"ISIS is watching,” he continued. “If you were the head of ISIS, if you were Baghdadi, if you were anyone in the ISIS, would you come away from yesterday afraid of the United States? Would you be afraid that the United States was going to use all its power to crush ISIS? Or would you think here’s a person who’s going to go out and do a few fundraisers over the Labor Day weekend?”

Other critics asked what message the president was trying to send with the suit.

Fox Business commentator Lou Dobbs said then that he thought the suit was “shocking to a lot of people” and asked on Twitter, “What message is the President trying to send?”

Worth a watch

But where are the Republicans who are willing to stand up publicly and say that this man is a disgrace to the office? How many sitting Republican Governors, Senators, Congressmen will say "don't vote for him". Zero in 2016. Maybe Romney in 2020.

Country over Party?- Not so much.

• Love
Reactions: 3 users
But where are the Republicans who are willing to stand up publicly and say that this man is a disgrace to the office? How many sitting Republican Governors, Senators, Congressmen will say "don't vote for him". Zero in 2016. Maybe Romney in 2020.

In November 2017, [Lindsey] Graham criticized the media's reporting on Trump: "What concerns me about the American press is this endless, endless attempt to label the guy some kind of kook not fit to be president." Previously in February 2016, Graham himself said of Trump: "I think he's a kook. I think he's crazy. I think he's unfit for office."[65][66]

In November 2017, [Lindsey] Graham criticized the media's reporting on Trump: "What concerns me about the American press is this endless, endless attempt to label the guy some kind of kook not fit to be president." Previously in February 2016, Graham himself said of Trump: "I think he's a kook. I think he's crazy. I think he's unfit for office."[65][66]

That was before he got the nomination.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Moe Stooges, the videographer, as many predicted is in deep stuff. For his sake he better have needed info on Father & Son and sing like a canary now that he has been charged as well. I commend the AJC in a previous article for presenting some uncirculated news of what was going on in this neighborhood. I have such an abhorrent hatred for our media. It's all agenda. Present all the facts, be fair, and let the chips fall.

This neighborhood was having serious nuisances. 87 calls to police. I still feel they are going down, but this was not a lynching Mr Biden, and nobody was hunting black people, Lebron. What this appears to be is neighbors were fed up, a neighbor had $2500 of fishing equipment stolen, a black person resembling Arbery showed up multiple times on his security video, police told him to notify the former cop on the block (and police are in deep stuff for that blunder), and the McFlinstones took off like fools and into something never intended the next time a resembling black person showed up on the security video.

This was not a first degree murder death penalty case, human sacrifice, or anything else like that from what we know. So far (key phrase, so far) these idiots got in over their head. They didn't expect Arbery to run away and then charge them in a struggle for a shotgun. That didn't go to plan as they apparently just wanted to hold him for the minute or two more it took police to arrive. For initiating this unlawful citizen's arrest that got the ball rolling, they are responsible for his shooting in my internet lawyer opinion.

Their probable conviction of serious crimes and serious questions about why the arrests took so long does not get the media off the hook. It's disgusting the intentional division in society they try to create with distortion of facts and selection of what cases to sensationalize. We do not have a white on black crime epidemic. That's ludacrous. So far there's not the slightest element of a hate crime in this.

To be honest, Arbery is quite rough on the edges, not the perfectly sweet jogger in the tuxedo picture. I kept reading shoplifting, shoplifting, shoplifting, like maybe he stuffed some snacks under his shirt at the gas stop. Finally I see reported its a friggin television he tried to steal. It's no reason for his killing, but it is reason I detest the media. Stop painting a narrative and start presenting ALL relevant facts so idiots like Senile Joe don't call this a lynching and add to the crappy division already present in this country.

.... and much more is still likely to be revealed about this case.

Addendum: Felony Murder is a subset of first degree murder. I did not know that and thought it was a separate category... I haven't passed my chat board bar exam yet.

Last edited:
  • Dislike

Moe Stooges, the videographer, as many predicted is in deep stuff. For his sake he better have needed info on Father & Son and sing like a canary now that he has been charged as well. I commend the AJC in a previous article for presenting some uncirculated news of what was going on in this neighborhood. I have such an abhorrent hatred for our media. It's all agenda. Present all the facts, be fair, and let the chips fall.

This neighborhood was having serious nuisances. 87 calls to police. I still feel they are going down, but this was not a lynching Mr Biden, and nobody was hunting black people, Lebron. What this appears to be is neighbors were fed up, a neighbor had $2500 of fishing equipment stolen, a black person resembling Arbery showed up multiple times on his security video, police told him to notify the former cop on the block (and police are in deep stuff for that blunder), and the McFlinstones took off like fools and into something never intended the next time a resembling black person showed up on the security video.

This was not a first degree murder death penalty case, human sacrifice, or anything else like that from what we know. So far (key phrase, so far) these idiots got in over their head. They didn't expect Arbery to run away and then charge them in a struggle for a shotgun. That didn't go to plan as they apparently just wanted to hold him for the minute or two more it took police to arrive. For initiating this unlawful citizen's arrest that got the ball rolling, they are responsible for his shooting in my internet lawyer opinion.

Their probable conviction of serious crimes and serious questions about why the arrests took so long does not get the media off the hook. It's disgusting the intentional division in society they try to create with distortion of facts and selection of what cases to sensationalize. We do not have a white on black crime epidemic. That's ludacrous. So far there's not the slightest element of a hate crime in this.

To be honest, Arbery is quite rough on the edges, not the perfectly sweet jogger in the tuxedo picture. I kept reading shoplifting, shoplifting, shoplifting, like maybe he stuffed some snacks under his shirt at the gas stop. Finally I see reported its a friggin television he tried to steal. It's no reason for his killing, but it is reason I detest the media. Stop painting a narrative and start presenting ALL relevant facts so idiots like Senile Joe don't call this a lynching and add to the crappy division already present in this country.

Your post is horrific.
But not all that surprising.
A young man was murdered for NO reason.
As people reported earlier many people have been curious and looked at properties under construction, they've all lived to tell the tale.
I guarantee if a white woman was looking at that property she would not be dead today and her life scrutinized under a magnify glass.

politicians primary job is to get re-elected. Current republicans are more concerned with angering Trump voters so they want to stay on his good side so they can try to get re-elected. There are plenty of current republican politicians that are mortified by things Trumps says and does that will publicly support him if asked.

Your post is horrific.
But not all that surprising.
A young man was murdered for NO reason.
As people reported earlier many people have been curious and looked at properties under construction, they've all lived to tell the tale.
I guarantee if a white woman was looking at that property she would not be dead today and her life scrutinized under a magnify glass.
That's what your reading comprehension got out of my two posts.
Wow.

Last edited:

No margin no mission, simple as that. Winning isn't everything ... it's the only thing.

90s partisanship over crap like Whitewater, a stupid presidential lie, Newt Gingrich's antics, all seems so tame and quaint these days. Like looking at British politicians in their silly wigs. It may have kinda sorta started in the 90s, but I think the Tea Party was the inflection point where it really changed and of course Trump's win in 2016 is where it went off the rails. Even Bush v Gore wasn't so toxic compared to today.

McConnell's comment was made in the context of campaigning in the weeks before the 2010 midterms. There's nothing unusual about declaring your opponents unfit for office and telling your supporters you're going to work as hard as you can to get someone better elected. Love him or hate him, McConnell is undeniably one of the most capable politicians of our time. Disciplined and effective. I don't see any hints of TDS in him.

Is anyone working in Alabama?
Just wondering if it’s starting to feel overwhelming :/

We’re really starting to feel like we’re over our peak and I’m not feeling as overwhelmed.

90s partisanship over crap like Whitewater, a stupid presidential lie, Newt Gingrich's antics, all seems so tame and quaint these days. Like looking at British politicians in their silly wigs. It may have kinda sorta started in the 90s, but I think the Tea Party was the inflection point where it really changed and of course Trump's win in 2016 is where it went off the rails. Even Bush v Gore wasn't so toxic compared to today.

McConnell's comment was made in the context of campaigning in the weeks before the 2010 midterms. There's nothing unusual about declaring your opponents unfit for office and telling your supporters you're going to work as hard as you can to get someone better elected. Love him or hate him, McConnell is undeniably one of the most capable politicians of our time. Disciplined and effective. I don't see any hints of TDS in him.

That statement absolutely is deranged, esp in a non-Presidential election year. It wasn't described as one of his priorities, it was the priority (as opposed to working for the American people?). The underlying thesis and implication of that statement is that it is impossible for a president of the opposing party to be successful, so oppose everything. And indeed, Mitch and the rest of his party's obstructionism from the 2008 financial crisis all the way to denying Garland even a meeting at the Senate was unprecedented obstructionism for the sake of obstructionism. We had an uncountable number of hearings on Benghazi and emails yet none of them bats an eye on the missteps that have left 100k dead. Talk of Birtherism flourished and most of the GOP leadership was mum or at best would offer a "yea he was probably born in Hawaii" when challenged. Even now, they don't care that 20-some more million people became insured this past decade and they want to repeal Obamacare without having a suitable replacement ready, and that's not deranged?

Again, it is pure fantasy that "TDS" is some unique phenomenon and not a gaslighting tactic invented by trump's personality cult. Mitch and the gang don't get to claim legitimate political differences and then ascribe purely personal motivation to others when their hypocrisy is so blatant (e.g. look up their statements on stimulus back in 2008-9 compared to now)

Last edited:
When I hear "deranged" I think "irrational" whereas I think you're arguing "malignant" ... different things. He's not sending out bizarre indecipherable tweets, naming his newborn child "X Æ A-12", calling his supporters dogfaces at campaign rallies, or suppressing cognitive dissonance headaches with free base cocaine. He's the picture of discipline.

The guy has been remaking the federal judiciary since the middle of Obama's second term, and he's still going. Rage at him if you will for fighting on the other side, but the guy's been in the zone, nothing but net round about the 2010 midterms.

I know this sounds kind of like some weird (deranged? ;)) bromance I've got going on here, but I respect his competence, especially in this era of incompetence. He understood before anyone else that the judicial branch was very much up for grabs and ripe for a takeover that could last a generation. He was the first Senate majority leader in history to seize and use the full power of that "advice and consent" line in the Constitution, optics and prior traditional gentlemen agreements be damned. His majority in the Senate withheld consent for a whole lot of Obama's court nominees, not just Garland, and set the stage for Trump and the Federalist Society to substantially alter SCOTUS and other federal courts. Keeping Scalia's seat open probably got Trump elected. He's a rocketship and a volcano lair short of being a supervillain or superhero depending on which side you're on. But he ain't deranged. :)

No margin no mission, simple as that. Winning isn't everything ... it's the only thing.

And that is one of the reasons why so many despise our elected officials on both sides of the aisle.

When I hear "deranged" I think "irrational" whereas I think you're arguing "malignant" ... different things. He's not sending out bizarre indecipherable tweets, naming his newborn child "X Æ A-12", calling his supporters dogfaces at campaign rallies, or suppressing cognitive dissonance headaches with free base cocaine. He's the picture of discipline.

The guy has been remaking the federal judiciary since the middle of Obama's second term, and he's still going. Rage at him if you will for fighting on the other side, but the guy's been in the zone, nothing but net round about the 2010 midterms.

I know this sounds kind of like some weird (deranged? ;)) bromance I've got going on here, but I respect his competence, especially in this era of incompetence. He understood before anyone else that the judicial branch was very much up for grabs and ripe for a takeover that could last a generation. He was the first Senate majority leader in history to seize and use the full power of that "advice and consent" line in the Constitution, optics and prior traditional gentlemen agreements be damned. His majority in the Senate withheld consent for a whole lot of Obama's court nominees, not just Garland, and set the stage for Trump and the Federalist Society to substantially alter SCOTUS and other federal courts. Keeping Scalia's seat open probably got Trump elected. He's a rocketship and a volcano lair short of being a supervillain or superhero depending on which side you're on. But he ain't deranged. :)

So-called political "derangement" is essentially about one having blanket opposition to a rival without any regard for the actual policy or after-effects (again, Mitch is fighting Obamacare even though it's very popular in KY and its repeal would hurt his own constituents- is there not a certain point where villainy in the sole pursuit of power grabbing or expediency becomes mad, insane, irrational?). Having discipline or the fact that Mitch's personal end goals happened to coincide with "I'm opposing everything Obama does just because it's Obama" is not mutually exclusive with being deranged.

Last edited:
4CKdlJH.png

q3HiKXm.png

FCYr1LW.png

There's a certain point where everyone eventually reaches the conclusion that "cruelty is the point" ....and suddenly all of the current administration and GOP's objectives make significantly more sense.

Last edited:
Sorry too busy to go back and find the article. But someone posted an article a few pages ago and it seems that MOST states have had a large percentage of deaths from nursing homes. Some states were around 30-40%, while other states were 50%+. So I don't think that's unique to NY. Of course the nursing home population in general is going to be more susceptible to dying.

Oops, actually found it:
This says that for NY state 20% of deaths were from nursing homes and FL 42%.
You can see the rest of the states in the article, a lot over 40%.
Obviously these numbers are only as good as the data collected and reported.

It shouldn't surprise anyone that nursing homes are going to be hard hit. We've known since at least Italy's breakout that age plays a significant role in mortality of this disease. I'd guess since Italians tend to have their older generations living at home and there weren't headlines about the decimation of nursing homes in Italy, there weren't a ton of policymakers making that connection and doing everything to safeguard nursing homes. Unfortunately, critical thinking is severely lacking in politics these days.

That’s based on CDC data. Everything I saw was quoted as 40-60% in NY prior to internalizing the data and admittedly is undercounting now. There’s probably a reasonable argument to be made that NYC’s density helped lower the relative percent of nursing home deaths, but they're far outpacing everyone. California, Texas, and Florida, all of which have bigger populations have <1/5 of nursing home deaths of NY. We don't have all the information at this point, but returning >4300 COVID+ patients back to nursing homes seems like nothing more than pouring gas on a fire.

The biggest reason anyone is bringing up Cuomo and New York is because it’s been repeated over and over and over that that’s how you handle a pandemic, but all the people with (R) following their name got it wrong and prefer the economy over your loved ones lives. I read Vector's post and articles. I'm not talking about outlying articles, but a general narrative. The truth is there are both some Democrats that handled this well, namely in California, Colorado, Washington, and Minnesota. There are also several Republican governors that handled this well. At this point, DeSantis and Kemp appear to be leading the pack. Maybe that'll change, but they're at least trying a balancing act of the two. DeSantis in particular never closed down Florida and treated the different areas of the state as...different areas. What happens in Dade and Broward Counties doesn't necessarily apply to Collier County and certainly not the northern counties. Pick your major news source, they all have disparaging articles about both Republican Governors and flattering articles about the NY guy....and people wonder why there's a significant portion of the country that don't believe the media. It's no wonder we can't agree on anything anymore, we're all starting with a completely different set of "facts" depending on which news is your go-to. This should never have been split among party lines or even country lines honestly.

I’ve said it several times in here already, this disease was here way earlier than anyone had reported. There are suspected cases now on both coasts as early as late December. It may eventually get into November. By the time we knew we had a problem, there was never going to be a great response from any level of government, but that doesn't mean we needed to shoot ourselves in the foot either.

It shouldn't surprise anyone that nursing homes are going to be hard hit. We've known since at least Italy's breakout that age plays a significant role in mortality of this disease. I'd guess since Italians tend to have their older generations living at home and there weren't headlines about the decimation of nursing homes in Italy, there weren't a ton of policymakers making that connection and doing everything to safeguard nursing homes. Unfortunately, critical thinking is severely lacking in politics these days.

That’s based on CDC data. Everything I saw was quoted as 40-60% in NY prior to internalizing the data and admittedly is undercounting now. There’s probably a reasonable argument to be made that NYC’s density helped lower the relative percent of nursing home deaths, but they're far outpacing everyone. California, Texas, and Florida, all of which have bigger populations have <1/5 of nursing home deaths of NY. We don't have all the information at this point, but returning >4300 COVID+ patients back to nursing homes seems like nothing more than pouring gas on a fire.

The biggest reason anyone is bringing up Cuomo and New York is because it’s been repeated over and over and over that that’s how you handle a pandemic, but all the people with (R) following their name got it wrong and prefer the economy over your loved ones lives. I read Vector's post and articles. I'm not talking about outlying articles, but a general narrative. The truth is there are both some Democrats that handled this well, namely in California, Colorado, Washington, and Minnesota. There are also several Republican governors that handled this well. At this point, DeSantis and Kemp appear to be leading the pack. Maybe that'll change, but they're at least trying a balancing act of the two. DeSantis in particular never closed down Florida and treated the different areas of the state as...different areas. What happens in Dade and Broward Counties doesn't necessarily apply to Collier County and certainly not the northern counties. Pick your major news source, they all have disparaging articles about both Republican Governors and flattering articles about the NY guy....and people wonder why there's a significant portion of the country that don't believe the media. It's no wonder we can't agree on anything anymore, we're all starting with a completely different set of "facts" depending on which news is your go-to. This should never have been split among party lines or even country lines honestly.

I’ve said it several times in here already, this disease was here way earlier than anyone had reported. There are suspected cases now on both coasts as early as late December. It may eventually get into November. By the time we knew we had a problem, there was never going to be a great response from any level of government, but that doesn't mean we needed to shoot ourselves in the foot either.

Dewine of Ohio is a Republican governor who has handled this well and got flack for it from the R base.

Also do you have any references for these early cases? Not doubting what you say, just curious. I know several people who were convinced they had it in January/February but who have since had negative antibody tests.

Dewine of Ohio is a Republican governor who has handled this well and got flack for it from the R base.

Also do you have any references for these early cases? Not doubting what you say, just curious. I know several people who were convinced they had it in January/February but who have since had negative antibody tests.

Only article I can find on one early case in Dec but it was in France.

Cuomo's decision to send nursing home pts back was terrible in retrospect, especially given what we know about how long someone can shed virus and esp if there was a surplus of lower acuity convalescent beds to take the load off the hospitals and the nursing homes. However, it's hard to say that the statistics are currently demonstrating excess harm in comparison to the rest of the nation. A comparison of NY (whose cases are primarily NYC metro including metro area nursing homes) with its given density is not apples to apples with FL, TX, CA which have much more sprawl and lower density.

And although 25-40% is a significant number for % of deaths attributable to nursing homes in NY, that number is 80% in Minnesota. It's over 70% in New Hampshire and Pennsylvania. The average for most states is around 30%

Further, consider what happened in Louisiana. From the article @d9sccr posted:

"Some states went in the opposite direction. Louisiana barred hospitals for 30 days from sending coronavirus patients to nursing homes with some exceptions. And while Louisiana reported about 1,000 coronavirus-related nursing home deaths, far fewer than New York, that was 40% of Louisiana's statewide death toll, a higher proportion than in New York."

And last thing, feel free to look at how NY and NJ are handling transparency vis a vis the disclosure of the names of nursing facilities that have had cases....vs some other more conservative states where crony capitalism is beating out public awareness.

Last edited:
I'm also surprised anyone would bring up Brian "We're just now learning that the virus can be spread asymptomatically" Kemp as a positive example of how to lead a state. Same goes for DeSantis who was f*cking clueless and sat there with his thumb up his a$$ waiting for marching orders from dear leader. It is some fortuitous combination of biology, geography, and climatology that prevented a disaster in FL, not the governors leadership.

imrs.png

I def take my hat off to DeWine and Hogan. They did their best for their respective states while simultaneously having to deal with all the maga mouthbreathers who make up part of their constituencies.

Last edited:

Addendum: Felony Murder is a subset of first degree murder. I did not know that and thought it was a separate category... I haven't passed my chat board bar exam yet.
Your post is horrific because you seem to be looking for a reason to justify them chasing down a black man for four minutes over the possibility of stealing some stuff from a construction site. Instead of calling the cops, they literally hunted him. This is very common when a black man is a victim of a violent crime. There always has to be a back story about his criminal past that paints a poor picture about his character in to justify the good old White Boys’ action.

Even if he was a thief, he did not deserve to be hunted, and terrorized for four minutes as he tried to run away. With guns blazing like the Wild Wild West.

Now who’s biased in this story? You or the media?

Do people always go looking for a back story when it’s a White man who’s been killed? I don’t know the answer to that, but in the recent past and in my recent memory the answer is no.

Do black perpetrators who kill White folks in broad day light stay free for months? The answer to that is Hell No!

Last edited:
  • Love
  • Dislike
Reactions: 8 users
Your post is horrific because you seem to be looking for a reason to justify them chasing down a black man for four minutes over the possibility of stealing some stuff from a construction site. Instead of calling the cops, they literally hunted him. This is very common when a black man is a victim of a violent crime. There always has to be a back story about his criminal past that paints a poor picture about his character in to justify the good old White Boys’ action.

Even if he was a thief, he did not deserve to be hunted, and terrorized for four minutes as he tried to run away.
With guns blazing like the Wild Wild West.

Now who’s biased in this story? You or the media?

Do people always go looking for a back story when it’s a White man who’s been killed? I don’t know the answer to that, but in the recent past and in my recent memory the answer is no.

Do black perpetrators who kill White folks in broad day light stay free for months? The answer to that is Hell No!

Yep. There’s been journalism research that demonstrates that in headlines and media stories White criminals are painted in a better picture than Black crime victims. Innocent until proven guilty only seems to be true for certain people.

More vaccine news.
It’s going to be so interesting to see how people feel about a vaccine once it’s out and who gets them. I wonder if it’ll be added to the requirements for areas that public schools require vaccines.

More vaccine news.
It’s going to be so interesting to see how people feel about a vaccine once it’s out and who gets them. I wonder if it’ll be added to the requirements for areas that public schools require vaccines.

10 bucks says that the new vaccine will cause autism per local Karen

• Haha
Reactions: 10 users
10 bucks says that the new vaccine will cause autism per local Karen

There are already people claiming they have had COVID, that it wasn’t that bad and that they thus have natural immunity. And they would never take the vaccine because Bill Gates and globalist cabal.

Even if he was a thief, he did not deserve to be hunted, and terrorized for four minutes as he tried to run away. With guns blazing like the Wild Wild West.
When you're chased by a car it shouldn't take 4 minutes to get off the road!
When somebody points a gun at you (and it has happened to me) you don't go WWF on the dude.
Just saying...

When somebody points a gun at you (and it has happened to me) you don't go WWF on the dude.
Just saying...

Unless you've actually been in a situation where you're being chased by two armed extras from Deliverance in a pickup then I don't think it's really fair to judge someone else's (lack of) strategic thinking in this particular instance from the comfort of your cellphone/computer.

Last edited:
Reactions: 13 users
Just saying...

This is taking victim blaming to a whole new level.
You know what would have caused this man not to be murdered???
If those idiots didn’t get a gun and get in their truck in the first place.

What is wrong with people in this country that when someone gets murdered the first response is to vilify them/their past ("he was a little rough around the edges") and criticize their reaction in a life or death situation.

• Dislike
There are already people claiming they have had COVID, that it wasn’t that bad and that they thus have natural immunity. And they would never take the vaccine because Bill Gates and globalist cabal.

I wish there was better data and information about the morbidity of this virus. Yes the vast majority of people won’t die from this virus but anecdotally it seems the short and long term consequences are different than other respiratory viruses.

Even some of my patients that weren’t hospitalized the fatigue and poor appetite went on for weeks that they weren’t able to work.

Then, for those that were hospitalized I have patients with complications now that they’re home and still not able to work. Have visiting nurses, home care, etc.

I haven’t seen this really from any other respiratory virus when people have it in their 30s-60s. It’s not just about the mortality rate.