The Underdog Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Once you've been rejected you're through at that school for the rest of the application cycle.

It is possible to update schools with new grades/activities/MCAT score(s) though.

The reminds me of a question I have had. I keep hearing on here that it is essential to apply early... as in June 1st. I am taking the MCAT in time to do that, but I feel I have pretty weak EC's. Would it be better to apply in June with fewer EC's and update schools, or to apply end of July or with more EC's? My sGPA is ~3.1 and my cGPA is a 3.4.

Members don't see this ad.

The reminds me of a question I have had. I keep hearing on here that it is essential to apply early... as in June 1st. I am taking the MCAT in time to do that, but I feel I have pretty weak EC's. Would it be better to apply in June with fewer EC's and update schools, or to apply end of July or with more EC's? My sGPA is ~3.1 and my cGPA is a 3.4.

Do you at least have some medical experience and a MD or DO LOR? If so, I'd apply in June over late July.

Why not start on some EC's right now? You could potentially get in over 3 months worth of experience before submitting your primary. I know you need to study for your MCAT, but 8-16 hours/week of EC's won't kill you unless you have other time-consuming priorities.

Hey I am trying to cram as much EC before June. Do you guys know the average amount of EC per competitive applicant(in terms of hospital volunteering and doctor shadowing)?

edit: sorry about that

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Hey I am trying to cram as much EC before June. Do you guys know the average amount of EC per competitive applicant for low tier Do schools[like LECOM](in terms of hospital volunteering and doctor shadowing)?

I'd like to know the answer too, since I've just started my clinical internship and anticipating to have ~200 hours by July (I am taking the MCAT on June 16).

I'd like to know the answer too, since I've just started my clinical internship and anticipating to have ~200 hours by July (I am taking the MCAT on June 16).

Please dont be offensive and call LECOM a "low tier" school. Many don't consider it that and have worked very hard to become a student there.

Please dont be offensive and call LECOM a "low tier" school. Many don't consider it that and have worked very hard to become a student there.

I believe you replied to the wrong post, and I do agree with you that LECOM isn't a low tier school; it's my top choice.

Hey I am trying to cram as much EC before June. Do you guys know the average amount of EC per competitive applicant for low tier Do schools[like LECOM](in terms of hospital volunteering and doctor shadowing)?

I hate to break it to you, and I don't mean it to be discouraging at all. But the point isn't how much you did (for the most part) it's what you did, and why.

Cramming it all in in the last few months before you apply may come off as you just checking the EC box on your Pre-med list, when you're supposed to be out there having an experience that shows your dedication to service.

Not saying you won't be able to get in, just that ADCOM's might question your motives for volunteering/shadowing in the first place since they didn't seem important enough for you to do during the rest of your Pre-med career. It's obviously not been very high on your priority list to serve others, and learn first hand what doctors do, and what their professional lives are really like. (this is what I can see many interviewers saying to you).

Just be prepared to tell them exactly why (and truthfully) you want to be a doctor. And then be prepared to defend that reason. You're probably going to have to convince a few interviewers that your motives are what they should be.

Last edited:

to further add to that, the so called "low tier" school has is number ONE in pass rate for COMLEX.

I hate to break it to you, and I don't mean it to be discouraging at all. But the point isn't how much you did (for the most part) it's what you did, and why.

Cramming it all in in the last few months before you apply may come off as you just checking the EC box on your Pre-med list, when you're supposed to be out there having an experience that shows your dedication to service.

Not saying you won't be able to get in, just that ADCOM's might question your motives for volunteering/shadowing in the first place since they didn't seem important enough for you to do during the rest of your Pre-med career. It's obviously not been very high on your priority list to serve others, and learn first hand what doctors do, and what their professional lives are really like. (this is what I can see many interviewers saying to you).

Just be prepared to tell them exactly why (and truthfully) you want to be a doctor. And then be prepared to defend that reason. You're probably going to have to convince a few interviewers that your motives are what they should be.

I would still think cramming something in is better than nothing, no? (Based on Sinfest's advice to me.)

I would still think cramming something in is better than nothing, no? (Based on Sinfest's advice to me.)

Absolutely! Some exposure is better than none.

All I'm saying is that the whole point of the volunteering is to show a commitment to serving others. You're more or less expected to do it because it shows that you care, even when a physician's salary is not in play.

Just be prepared to explain your lack of service hours in any interviews you may get. And try to come up with another way to let adcom's see that you do care. Also realize that you will be competing against people with similar stats, and lots of volunteer/shadowing etc. It may be tough.

I guess I'm just trying to say that you should find something service oriented that you enjoy and get really involved in it. That way if you don't get in this round, you'll have anorexic rounded app next year.

Exactly

Plus, if you start now you'll have 5-6 months of exposure by August, when most schools begin interviewing. That shows some commitment IMO

Members don't see this ad :)
This is a great thread. It gives me motivation and hope that it is possible for me to accepted into a medical school.

My stats are listed in a thread I started in the "What Are My Chances?" section. Link.

- Abi

Just a little motivation for peoe applying wig low stats

I am a second year with a 3.5 gpa and getting ready to take boards this summer.... How I got here?!?!?

Regular state party school for undergrad
Worked in ED as tech for 2.5 yrs
Gpa- 3.4
MCAT- 20 (only took it once without taking ANY prereqs)

Thought I was doomed, sent out 11 apps, only 3 secondaries, 3 interviews and the best part... 3 acceptances

Moral to the story, don't give up and the only way you can gt in is if you apply. Not a lot of room at med school for people who are afraid of failure.

Hope this helps some of you.

Hey just trying to get an idea on my shots at school:
Stats: NJ resident
UG: BioMed Engineer at GWU GPA: 3.05 sGPA: 3.0
MCAT: 24

Schools: PCOM, Tuoro-NY, NYCOM, and UMDNJ
(Stat wise i think i only have a shot at Tuoro/PCOM)

Thoughts?

Same situation as you with MCAT of 24, but much higher GPA, more like 3.7. UG at a private unviersity in downtown chicago, but I applied the first day that the AACOMAS opened. I only applied to about 10 schools, and I got accepted into CCOM, WVSOM, KCUMB, waiting to hear post-interview from TOURO Nevada, and just got an interview invite from PCOM-Georigia.

All you need is hard work, and some extra curricilurs and something that makes you stand out. I worked at doctors office for the past 6 years, did some research (not published), and played soccer as undergrad.

Definitely, you have a chance my friend.

Hey so I would definitely consider myself an "underdog" and was accepted for fall 2011!! YESSSSS...
Anyway, I saw a lot of questions as far as ECs go so I thought I would share the advice that helped me.
I'm from Utah and the University of Utah (MD school) has ridiculous minimum requirements for ECs to even apply. Because I always thought I would go there, that's what I gauged mine on. As a result:
I have over three years of research experience in organic chemistry, cardiovascular genetics and neonatology.
Over 70 hours of physician shadowing (MD and DO, multiple specialties)
Over 600 hours of patient exposure (I worked as a medical assistant for an internist 40 hours a week for a summer).
I also volunteered for 4 hours a week for a year at the local free clinic for the homeless.
I also managed to squeeze in rock climbing, skiing, raising my daughter and finishing my degree in 4 years. It was busy, but I did it. It can be done.
I don't have the highest grades but I think I come off as more well-rounded than the average applicant- which is what gets most Utah undergrads into medical school.
So, if you're interested in shooting for something similar go to medicine.utah.edu and check out their applicant page. If you meet their minimum requirements you will look excellent to any school in the country (at least as far as ECs go). But an important side note: if you want to be a DO, you HAVE to shadow a DO to have a fair shot of being accepted. period. you should also want to shadow a DO so you can confidently talk about the differences in osteopathy and allopathic medicine in your interviews and essays (you will be asked and are expected to have an excellent answer).
Hope that helps, best of luck to everyone!!

If anyone's curious:
GPA: 3.45 sGPA: 2.9 MCAT: 29

Hey so I would definitely consider myself an "underdog" and was accepted for fall 2011!! YESSSSS...
Anyway, I saw a lot of questions as far as ECs go so I thought I would share the advice that helped me.
I'm from Utah and the University of Utah (MD school) has ridiculous minimum requirements for ECs to even apply. Because I always thought I would go there, that's what I gauged mine on. As a result:
I have over three years of research experience in organic chemistry, cardiovascular genetics and neonatology.
Over 70 hours of physician shadowing (MD and DO, multiple specialties)
Over 600 hours of patient exposure (I worked as a medical assistant for an internist 40 hours a week for a summer).
I also volunteered for 4 hours a week for a year at the local free clinic for the homeless.
I also managed to squeeze in rock climbing, skiing, raising my daughter and finishing my degree in 4 years. It was busy, but I did it. It can be done.
I don't have the highest grades but I think I come off as more well-rounded than the average applicant- which is what gets most Utah undergrads into medical school.
So, if you're interested in shooting for something similar go to medicine.utah.edu and check out their applicant page. If you meet their minimum requirements you will look excellent to any school in the country (at least as far as ECs go). But an important side note: if you want to be a DO, you HAVE to shadow a DO to have a fair shot of being accepted. period. you should also want to shadow a DO so you can confidently talk about the differences in osteopathy and allopathic medicine in your interviews and essays (you will be asked and are expected to have an excellent answer).
Hope that helps, best of luck to everyone!!

If anyone's curious:
GPA: 3.45 sGPA: 2.9 MCAT: 29
Hey maybe I'm in some of your classes. Have you graduated?
Edit: Hey! Two people from Utah. Sup dudes.

Last edited:
Just a little motivation for peoe applying wig low stats

I am a second year with a 3.5 gpa and getting ready to take boards this summer.... How I got here?!?!?

Regular state party school for undergrad
Worked in ED as tech for 2.5 yrs
Gpa- 3.4
MCAT- 20 (only took it once without taking ANY prereqs)

Thought I was doomed, sent out 11 apps, only 3 secondaries, 3 interviews and the best part... 3 acceptances

Moral to the story, don't give up and the only way you can gt in is if you apply. Not a lot of room at med school for people who are afraid of failure.

Hope this helps some of you.

Giving me hope here! Can I ask where else you were accepted??

LMU-DCOM, and PCOM-GA

May have actually gotten a few more, but I didn't want to pay to fill out the rest of the 2nd app. that I had received.

I have been sitting in front of my computer for a very long time, reading about all these different stories of people getting in or being rejected on sdn. I am getting nervous and losing hope. Please tell me what you guys think of my numbers.
cGPA 3.35
sGPA 3.46
MCAT: 22 then 26
124 hours of volunteer at the ER
shadowed a DO & MD and looking for another DO to shadow
held an office position for a club and did a lot of non-medical volunteering through it.
have 1 year of clinical experience...volunteering under a PA in a free health clinic every monday
My stats are either average or below average and I feel like I will not be called in for a single interview

I have been sitting in front of my computer for a very long time, reading about all these different stories of people getting in or being rejected on sdn. I am getting nervous and losing hope. Please tell me what you guys think of my numbers.
cGPA 3.35
sGPA 3.46
held an office position for a club and did a lot of non-medical volunteering through it.
have 1 year of clinical experience...volunteering under a PA in a free health clinic every monday
My stats are either average or below average and I feel like I will not be called in for a single interview
Excellent chances at DO..You stats are average...Just apply early.

cGPA 3.35
sGPA 3.46

You've got average stats, and maybe even above average EC's; there's no reason to think you won't get interviews. Just apply early!

LMU-DCOM, and PCOM-GA

May have actually gotten a few more, but I didn't want to pay to fill out the rest of the 2nd app. that I had received.

That's really encouraging... did you get accepted late in the cycle? I take interest because I also applied to LMU-DCOM with underdog stats. Hope you don't mind me prying!

Some motivation for those late in the cycle that need it.

Undergrad GPA of <2.5 both cum and sci. MCAT = 23. Primaries complete Oct. Secondaries Nov-Dec. Interview Feb, Mar acceptance.

I eventually had a >3.5 GPA post back and in between the lines I had tons of research at a reputable hospital, many letters of rec and lots of leadership experience.

Moral of the story, perseverance pays off and there really are schools that consider the whole package not just the stats!!

Hang in there and good luck!!

Some motivation for those late in the cycle that need it.

Undergrad GPA of <2.5 both cum and sci. MCAT = 23. Primaries complete Oct. Secondaries Nov-Dec. Interview Feb, Mar acceptance.

I eventually had a >3.5 GPA post back and in between the lines I had tons of research at a reputable hospital, many letters of rec and lots of leadership experience.

Moral of the story, perseverance pays off and there really are schools that consider the whole package not just the stats!!

Hang in there and good luck!!

Congrats! I'm sure you'll appreciate your med school career slightly more than the 3.5, 32R guy who never really had to fight a battle to get to where you are. Enjoy

This underdog's been accepted to his top choice!

uGPA 3.1
sGPA 2.7
MCAT 30M
Tons of excellent EC's
Over 300 hours shadowing
Strong examples of leadership
Great LOR's

I took a two month medical mission over the summer, against the general advice of the non-underdog membership of SDN. I was told to prep for my MCAT instead. I did fine on the MCAT and the mission was amazing. I lived on a US Navy hospital ship visitingwar torn areas of SouthEast Asia for crying out loud. It was awesome! And the trip became a focal point of conversation in my interview. Much much more than my underdog GPA.

I applied late, like in October. I had secondaries complete by mid January, Interviewed at my first school mid-February, and accepted early March. Just so happens that the first interview/acceptance was my top program. I'm canceling all my other interviews now.

To all the underdogs, keep your head up. It's been said before (and I can personally attest to the fact) that this process is geared toward those that really want it. Stick to it, show them how much you want it, how much it means to you, why you didn't quit when everyone else told you you should. Every school want's smart and capable students. But they also want driven students who have real, valid, pure reasons to want to pursue medicine. Put in the extra effort, show them through your actions that you belong!

Best of luck to you all, and thanks for letting me participate in this thread.

undergrad GPA - 2.95 from a private lib arts school
grad GPA - 3.63 or so (science/lab heavy + many med school prereqs) 3.75 last 2 years
MCAT 29Q

great ECs, tons of non-clinical volunteer work, employed for 18 months part time in a surgery center

ACCEPTED on Saturday. The dream is now a reality. For so long I waiting for that moment. I listed my parents address as my permanent residence so everything was sent to them. Dad called with an unopened letter. He and mom read it out loud on the phone to me. After he said the word "congratulations" the tears began to flow on both ends of the phone line.
You have to make this goal encompass your life, because thats what it takes for most people. If you REALLY, TRULY want to practice medicine and are like me, you have to sacrifice a lot now for a MUCH greater return later.

Sorry for the monologue/pep talk/whatever you want to call it. But for those still seeking that letter, keep working hard. Find good people to work with, whether its in a hospital or raking leaves for the elderly. YOU CAN DO THIS!!!

undergrad GPA - 2.95 from a private lib arts school
grad GPA - 3.63 or so (science/lab heavy + many med school prereqs) 3.75 last 2 years
MCAT 29Q

great ECs, tons of non-clinical volunteer work, employed for 18 months part time in a surgery center

ACCEPTED on Saturday. The dream is now a reality. For so long I waiting for that moment. I listed my parents address as my permanent residence so everything was sent to them. Dad called with an unopened letter. He and mom read it out loud on the phone to me. After he said the word "congratulations" the tears began to flow on both ends of the phone line.
You have to make this goal encompass your life, because thats what it takes for most people. If you REALLY, TRULY want to practice medicine and are like me, you have to sacrifice a lot now for a MUCH greater return later.

Sorry for the monologue/pep talk/whatever you want to call it. But for those still seeking that letter, keep working hard. Find good people to work with, whether its in a hospital or raking leaves for the elderly. YOU CAN DO THIS!!!
It's good to see some non-cynics on SDN. Way to go!

I've already posted my stats in another thread, but I wanted to get feedback from applicants and those who got accepted. I think some encouragement can help me at this point.
cGPA: 3.60
sciGPA: 3.54
MCAT (April 2010): 20K 3VS, 8PS, 9BS
MCAT (Jan 2011): 23O 5VS, 8PS, 10BS

Shadowed a DO for 30 hrs (I got to school in a small town and we don't have a DO so I do shadowing during spring break.) Plan on returning for more hours. Working on volunteering this semester. Also, I have a very strong upward grade trend.

I plan on retaking the MCAT sometime between April - June and applying for DO schools. My goal is to bring verbal up to at least a 7; however, I'm worried my other sections will go down. I figure retaking it is better than applying with such a low MCAT score. What do you guys think? Thanks!

I've already posted my stats in another thread, but I wanted to get feedback from applicants and those who got accepted. I think some encouragement can help me at this point.
cGPA: 3.60
sciGPA: 3.54
MCAT (April 2010): 20K 3VS, 8PS, 9BS
MCAT (Jan 2011): 23O 5VS, 8PS, 10BS

Shadowed a DO for 30 hrs (I got to school in a small town and we don't have a DO so I do shadowing during spring break.) Plan on returning for more hours. Working on volunteering this semester. Also, I have a very strong upward grade trend.

I plan on retaking the MCAT sometime between April - June and applying for DO schools. My goal is to bring verbal up to at least a 7; however, I'm worried my other sections will go down. I figure retaking it is better than applying with such a low MCAT score. What do you guys think? Thanks!

I'd retake that MCAT, do practice tests as much as possible (I think this is one of the best ways to prep) take them from an online or electronic source so that you can simulate the real thing as closely as possible. The secret to VR is learning how to read efficiently and think openly. It's a "think on your feet" type section. The only way I felt productive with MCAT verbal studying was practice tests.

The rest of your stats should make you plenty competitive.

My biggest suggestion is to find some way, any way, to make you and especially your app unique. For me, that was EC's, I found a place that heaped a lot of high level responsibility on me, and I ran with it. I really feel (and was told when I was accepted) that my EC's made the decision to admit me a very easy one!

SLC, this is the best advice anyone could give! Thanks!
With that in mind, I know I can kill the verbal section. I'm going to dedicate the free time I have to take practice tests (I have 101 verbal passages, I figure this will just give me more practice).
What is unique about me? That's tough. All I can think of is that I have a deep inter-cultural understanding, I lived in a third world (war stricken) country for ten years, and this has contributed to my being compassionate and empathetic with people. I suppose I need to work on the personal statement and EC's to support this claim.

SLC, this is the best advice anyone could give! Thanks!
With that in mind, I know I can kill the verbal section. I'm going to dedicate the free time I have to take practice tests (I have 101 verbal passages, I figure this will just give me more practice).

Good strategy, I also recommend trying something like e-mcat (anything like it really), just because you can time the test and set it all up just like the real thing. Once I did this, and realized I was doing pretty well, I was able to relax about it. Honestly I think finally being able to not stress it was what helped the most.

What is unique about me? That's tough. All I can think of is that I have a deep inter-cultural understanding, I lived in a third world (war stricken) country for ten years, and this has contributed to my being compassionate and empathetic with people. I suppose I need to work on the personal statement and EC's to support this claim.

Sounds like you've got something to build from!

The cool thing about you is that all you really need to do is get a higher MCAT score and a bit more EC's and you go from underdog to pre-DO all-star. I had to do it with a low GPA, which wasn't really going to change over the course of a summer. You've got HUGE potential.

Wow, this really helps me maintain a positive outlook. Even when I was studying for the MCAT last time, I couldnt stop thinking about the consequences of a poor score. I am usually a great test taker; however, the stress really gets to me with the MCAT. Every time I started an AAMC exam, I somehow lost focus.
Again, thanks for the great feedback!

Okay so here is my dilemma.....I have taken the MCAT 3 times already (first two wasn't prepared and did poorly, got a 15M then a 13M), The third time I took a prep course and got a 18M (all 6). I am doing my masters right now in forensic science and have a 3.75 gpa and have plenty of volunteer, clinical experience, as well as extracurricular activities. I would hate to retake the test a 4th time, but if I do I can also retake the prep course. I don't know what to do...should I retake the test or should I just apply with that score? If I do retake the prep course, it would have to be until I finish my masters which will be this October. I feel that med schools wouldn't even take the time of day to look over my application with that mcat score even if I submit the applications early. Plus I am 26 years old and feel that I am getting too old.....most people getting in are in their early twenties. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Okay so here is my dilemma.....I have taken the MCAT 3 times already (first two wasn't prepared and did poorly, got a 15M then a 13M), The third time I took a prep course and got a 18M (all 6). I am doing my masters right now in forensic science and have a 3.75 gpa and have plenty of volunteer, clinical experience, as well as extracurricular activities. I would hate to retake the test a 4th time, but if I do I can also retake the prep course. I don't know what to do...should I retake the test or should I just apply with that score? If I do retake the prep course, it would have to be until I finish my masters which will be this October. I feel that med schools wouldn't even take the time of day to look over my application with that mcat score even if I submit the applications early. Plus I am 26 years old and feel that I am getting too old.....most people getting in are in their early twenties. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Not a whole lot more to say except, "you need to retake it a 4th time". I would PM Noshie a user here for some pointers, I'm not sure if she is still active but I believe she had MCAT scores in the teens and after 4 times raised it to a 26.

First off, my point was in regards to the fact that the cutoffs are higher for M.D schools in comparison to D.O. These "numbers help open the door for you" are easier to attain for D.O schools and they tend to seek well rounded individuals after that. Secondly, people coming into this thread (such as yourself) are kidding themselves if they think we don't know that we don't have best chances. WE KNOW ALREADY! This thread was not designed to have people come in an say "haha you have a low gpa or mcat good luck with that, in my opinion i'd hold off for awhile lulz". We are well aware of where we stand, and what we have to overcome and that we MUST strengthen our applications. I just wanted to speak with some other people in my situation, and hopefully hear some positive stories out of it. Give it up with the we shouldn't waste our time or money nonsense already, we've heard it a thousand times.

You know what, you are the first person to say that: "This thread was not designed to have people come in and say "haha you have a low gpa or mcat good luck with that, in my opinion i'd hold off for awhile lulz". Hold off awhile of what? Getting older and older and something in life happens where you can't apply anymore? Life is too short to keep holding off too much time. It will take FOREVER to bring your gpa up to a 3.9, if you keep holding off and take classes over until you are 90. Medical schools know that so just take upper division courses to boost your grade up and to show you can handle hard material. Also, for most DO schools, the minimum is a sci and cum gpa of 2.75 and MCAT of 20. 3.2 gpa and 25 mcat is actually fine for DO. It's a risk for MD but even people with 2.8 GPA and 19 MCAT got in either DO or MCAT. There's people with 3.9 GPA and 45 MCAT and didn't get into any schools. So, you really don't know until you try.

Last edited:
You know what, you are the first person to say that: "This thread was not designed to have people come in and say "haha you have a low gpa or mcat good luck with that, in my opinion i'd hold off for awhile lulz". Hold off awhile of what? Getting older and older and something in life happens where you can't apply anymore? Life is too short to keep holding off too much time. It will take FOREVER to bring your gpa up to a 3.9, if you keep holding off and take classes over until you are 90. Medical schools know that so just take upper division courses to boost your grade up and to show you can handle hard material. Also, for most DO schools, the minimum is a sci and cum gpa of 2.75 and MCAT of 20. 3.2 gpa and 25 mcat is actually fine for DO. It's a risk for MD but even people with 2.8 GPA and 19 MCAT got in either DO or MCAT. There's people with 3.9 GPA and 45 MCAT and didn't get into any schools. So, you really don't know until you try.

I understand what you're getting at, but having below average stats is not "fine". I do not want current pre-meds to get the wrong idea and aim for mediocrity because they believe a 3.2 and 25 is good enough (as your post suggests). Of course it's possible to get accepted, my stats weren't great and it worked out for me, but not everyone is so lucky. One should always strive for the best stats possible and try to be an above average applicant. The admissions game is a bit random at times, and the best way to improve your chances of acceptance is by having good stats.

Also, just because the minimum may be 2.75 and 20 does not mean people with those stats, or stats slightly above that, frequently get in. The average matriculant has a GPA and MCAT score much higher than that.