The waitlist blues. . .

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dafuzzy

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all -

Waitlisted today at Cornell. Does anyone have any information regarding the waitlist process: How many people are on it? How many people are accepted off of it? If lists are ranked? Any information at all would be thoroughly appreciated!!!

Thanks all -

Members don't see this ad.

There is a thread right now on the about.com about Cornell and the waitlist that you might be interested in. It's listed as "CORNELL news???" in the schools folder. I didn't apply to Cornell so I don't have any other info. Good luck with the waiting list! Hopefully they'll call you off it pretty quick!

Maybe this will help, maybe it won't.

If Cornell is your first choice, you may want to send a letter of intent, i.e. you would unequivocally attend if accepted. You may want to detail any *new* academic or animal experiences they may not know about, etc.

Good luck :luck:

Members don't see this ad :)
Dafuzzy...are you instate? Would you mind sharing your stats? I'm curious to learn more about the stats of people who made it so far as to be alternates. Thanks.

holdencaulfield said:
Dafuzzy...are you instate? Would you mind sharing your stats? I'm curious to learn more about the stats of people who made it so far as to be alternates. Thanks.

Why not. . .

I don't remember my GRE scores, but they were just slightly higher than the average GRE at Cornell. GPA is 3.57, with I believe a past 45 semester gpa of 3.60, at a competitive university. I am an instate, traditional male applicant (meaning I am applying as a senior in college, having taken no time off between high school and college). I believe I had strong personal essays and such, but my main weakness was in my veterinary experiences. . .I've worked for a little more than a summer at a large-scale small veterinary hospital in boston, one summer at an equine clinic, and some other odd, smaller experiences, but none of this "1000 hours as a vet tech here, 2000 hours over there." I've spent my spare time mostly doing other activities at my school, most of which are not veterinary related at all, just because it was college, and I wanted to make the most of my time spent among my crazy, talented peers in things other than what I want to spend my life doing. I'm actually quite happy that I made it to an alternate position, considering I don't have as many hours racked up as most applicants do. Anyhoo, now to play the waitlist game. Going to the information session on Feb. 10-11 if anyone else is doing so as well. . .

Anyone else who applied to Cornell want to give their stats and their admission's decision?

Dafuzzy said:
Why not. . .

I don't remember my GRE scores, but they were just slightly higher than the average GRE at Cornell. GPA is 3.57, with I believe a past 45 semester gpa of 3.60, at a competitive university. I am an instate, traditional male applicant (meaning I am applying as a senior in college, having taken no time off between high school and college). I believe I had strong personal essays and such, but my main weakness was in my veterinary experiences. . .I've worked for a little more than a summer at a large-scale small veterinary hospital in boston, one summer at an equine clinic, and some other odd, smaller experiences, but none of this "1000 hours as a vet tech here, 2000 hours over there." I've spent my spare time mostly doing other activities at my school, most of which are not veterinary related at all, just because it was college, and I wanted to make the most of my time spent among my crazy, talented peers in things other than what I want to spend my life doing. I'm actually quite happy that I made it to an alternate position, considering I don't have as many hours racked up as most applicants do. Anyhoo, now to play the waitlist game. Going to the information session on Feb. 10-11 if anyone else is doing so as well. . .

Anyone else who applied to Cornell want to give their stats and their admission's decision?

3.5 GPA overall from Cornell, 3.61 my last 45 credits. 1440, or 91st percentile on the GREs. 2100 hours at small animal clinics, with 1600 in a clinic where I could administer meds, draw blood, do fecal analysis, etc. 350 at a horse racetrack (100 walking horses, 250 shadowing an equine vet), 300+ from an aquarium, a failed research project with calves, and 300 hours at a research laboratory. I also worked at a DNA testing laboratory for a few months in the fall, which probably didn't count.

While at Cornell, I was the public relations officer for Cornell Companions (visit homes for the elderly, schools for special children, etc w/ animals) for two years, and helped organize two charity dog walks. I was also the promotions director at WVBR (a local commercial rock station run by Cornell students) for 1.5 years, and put on many contests and did some remotes.

Admittedly my essays sucked in the past, but I thought they were really good this year.

Yesterday I received my 3rd rejection from Cornell. My first year I was in-state, last year NJ resident (I moved back home after graduation), then in-state again this year (my fiance got into Cornell law school). Of course they didn't have the courtesy of sending me my PIN number. I called at 4:50 yesterday (I work until 4:30), and someone tried to tell me I had created a PIN when I created my supplemental. I searched frantically for it, knowing in previous years I received an e-mail, only to find I had not printed an extra copy for some reason. I was set to start putting in the numbers one by one, when we discovered a way to find it on the web page. So despite Cornell's incredible lack of consideration, I was able to see my letter.

By the way, I hate to break this to other hopefuls, but I believe (not positive) that all acceptances get a call. If it comes to a letter, it's either wait-list or rejection. I think that's probably the case with most schools.

Anywho, so yeah. I'm pretty much screwed now as a NY resident.

Joslin,

Crap, that sucks! I'm sorry that happened to you.

I've become convinced that you must be a Dian Fossey-type (original research in some remote corner of the world, etc...) to even get the adcoms to look at your application. When I applied to Cornell (a few years ago as a state resident), I had everything "they" wanted--research, craploads of diverse animal experience, competitive GPA and GRE scores; even a letter of recommendation from a Cornell grad who was the pres. of the NYS veterinary medical society at the time---but NO DICE!

I chalk it up to academically gifted folks and the sheer number of applicants.

I sincerely hope you get in somewhere :)

That does suck. You sound definitely qualified in all the areas of the application! You should definitely inquire as to the weaknesses of your application. Who knows - maybe it's something really small that would be easy to fix next time. Best of luck in your other apps though. It sounds from your experience, grades at Cornell, etc. that they missed out on a really exceptional candidate!

Dafuzzy said:
That does suck. You sound definitely qualified in all the areas of the application! You should definitely inquire as to the weaknesses of your application. Who knows - maybe it's something really small that would be easy to fix next time. Best of luck in your other apps though. It sounds from your experience, grades at Cornell, etc. that they missed out on a really exceptional candidate!

Thanks guys. I did speak with admissions each year (this being my 3rd year applying and all) and was usually able to do what they asked. I'm stumped. Usually they just said it was competition. I can't do much about that. Who knows.