These are my stats. I have no clue

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lovelyhee23

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
[post N/A]

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
It's relatively impossible for anyone to give you any response to the classic "do I have a chance...?" question without an MCAT score. Without that, all we're looking at here is a GPA trend that isn't going up nor down. But there isn't many A's on that list. From what I hear, GPA trends carry serious weight during the admissions process, but it doesn't seem like you have a trend at all. You need to start acing classes and bumping up the GPA!

Tough love: You need to seriously figure out your personal life before you keep taking classes. You can't keep accumulating all of these Bs and Cs or you're never going to get your GPA up to what will be acceptable. You're already going to need to retake a lot of Cs, but seriously you need to 100% fix your personal life before you keep barely getting by. You're not at the point of no return, but you're digging your own grave at the pace you're going. Sort out personal life, put in serious ass effort to get As nonstop, blow up MCAT, and you can still be a doctor.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you guys for the advice. I really appreciate it!

Unfortunately, I only have summer and fall quarter left before I graduate and I plan to graduate first then...deal with all the problems but now I am thinking it's a bad idea :(

maybe I should just take my summer off and gather myself up first.

But I still need to decide on what I should do with my Ochem class. Tbh, I just want to let it go and drop it but this will be my third time just having 2 classes... I feel pressured to take the class becuz I know showing that i can handle all those courses is also important but i am neither here nor there. Just getting worse...

I agree with the above comments. Continuing to throw yourself into classes without first solving the issue that is causing poor performance shows poor judgement. That'll be a negative to admissions.

I would suggest taking a small break and get your life in order. You can work on improving other aspects of your application during this time (maybe).

At this point you need to write a great story to help your application. Solve your personal problems, come back and blow your classes and MCAT away and it would be possible to have success in getting in to a school. You have to stop the bleeding first though and then begin the repair. ;-)

Thank you guys for the advice. I really appreciate it!

Unfortunately, I only have summer and fall quarter left before I graduate and I plan to graduate first then...deal with all the problems but now I am thinking it's a bad idea :(

maybe I should just take my summer off and gather myself up first.

But I still need to decide on what I should do with my Ochem class. Tbh, I just want to let it go and drop it but this will be my third time just having 2 classes... I feel pressured to take the class becuz I know showing that i can handle all those courses is also important but i am neither here nor there. Just getting worse...

You haven't shown that you can handle the rigors of med school at all. You're only taking a couple of classes each semester and barely passing them. You should be able to take 4-5 classes a semester and get mostly As. Med school is 30 credits a semester, do you think you're going to be able to handle that? Would someone looking at your transcript think you could? Rushing into graduation isn't going to make a difference in the long run. Getting into med school is a marathon, not a sprint. You can do it if you want to, but there are a million other careers that would be easier, pay well, and take less time to get into. You need to seriously consider if this is worth it to you, and if so, look into getting your **** straightened out 100% before taking more classes. Get outside help too. If it's not, there's absolutely no shame at looking into a different career. TONS of people drop pre-med and go on to be successful elsewhere.

Reactions: 1 user
Downward trend and poor choice making are a lethal mix.

Retake all F/D/C coursework and then DO WELL on MCAT if you wish to salvage your hopes of becoming a doctor.

I go to a UC and I transferred from a community college. I am a Physiology major with a minor in Psychology. First of all....here are my stats

GPA at community college: 3.6

UC: cGPA = 2.876 / sGPA = 2.647 (UC transfer courses from CC not included)

Fall'13 - 12 units
Developmental Psychology B
Social Psychology C-
Cognitive Psychology B-

Winter'14 - 8 units
Gen Chem 2 B
Physiology Psychology B+

Spring'14 - 12 units
Gen Bio 1 B
Language&Education A
Psychology and Law B-

Summer
Gen Bio 2 B

Fall'14 - 12 units
Gen Bio 3 B
Calculus A
Eating Disorders (Psych) A-

Winter'15 - 9 units
Gen Chem 3 B-
Gen Physics 1 (lecture) C-
Gen Physics 1 (lab) B+

Spring'15 - 13 units
Genetics B
Human Physiology 1 B
Gen Physics 2 (lec) B-
Gen Physics 2 (lab) B+

Summer
Gen Chem Lab B

Fall'15 - 12 units
Plant Ecology C
Upper Bio Lab B-
Ochem 1 B

Winter'16 - 14 units
Animal Ecology C
Physiology Lab B
Ochem 2 C+

Spring (NOW) -
12 units? 8 units?
Biochemistry
Neurobiology
Ochem 3

So I have been on a rough patch dealing with family stuff along the years since I transferred and I've only managed to take maximum of 3 classes every quarter. Especially during Winter quarters, somehow even more ****ty stuff happened so I ended up taking just two courses.

I also talked with the counselor once and he recommended me to rethink of my career... It seems like everybody except for me is encouraging me to go to another path but it's kind of hard for me to just let it go. I know why everybody thinks that way because even when I look at my UC academic history, it is disappointing. So I get it. But I came here to get some advice on what I should do now. Like any other day, I am still dealing with some family problems and today, I just got my Ochem midterm grade back and it is not looking good... If I decide to drop,
I will have a W AND it will be my third quarter where I only have 2 courses. I feel like my chance of getting into a DO school is disappearing... :( I know I won't quit (that for sure). My current goal is to retake the courses I got low Bs or Cs in at a local CC and build some experience as a research assistant job that I got recently and maybe going abroad to do some volunteer work (I think it would be good for me to clear out my head for once by just focusing on helping others) and apply for DO schools.

Will dropping that Ochem course be okay? my friend says to just take it all the way and retake the course after I graduate if I get a bad grade. But I know that the third series for Ochem isn't offered at my local CC so I would have to apply for post bacc program? My concern is...do I even have a chance of getting into one with my current stats?

Please help me out...

and thank you for reading all this and giving me advice!

You haven't shown that you can handle the rigors of med school at all. You're only taking a couple of classes each semester and barely passing them. You should be able to take 4-5 classes a semester and get mostly As. Med school is 30 credits a semester, do you think you're going to be able to handle that? Would someone looking at your transcript think you could? Rushing into graduation isn't going to make a difference in the long run. Getting into med school is a marathon, not a sprint. You can do it if you want to, but there are a million other careers that would be easier, pay well, and take less time to get into. You need to seriously consider if this is worth it to you, and if so, look into getting your **** straightened out 100% before taking more classes. Get outside help too. If it's not, there's absolutely no shame at looking into a different career. TONS of people drop pre-med and go on to be successful elsewhere.

UC has a quarter system so people usually take 3-4 classes but I am still struggling to get As or even Bs anyways so I get what you are saying. Getting into med school has been a dream of mine so I am willing to take the time and prepare to obtain a good MCAT score...better EC...and my GPA up. I've just been exhausted of the things that's happening to me so I just came for some kind of guidance so that I can feel pumped and get that mindset again so I thank you for that! I will consider about other careers as well!

Given your GPA and downtrend it's probably best that you choose a new career path. Only thing that can save you at this point is retaking and getting A's and killing the MCAT.

Drop the Ochem if you won't do well. W is better than an E or D. I had about 10 Ws through out all of my UG transcripts and I still got 2 acceptances.

OP, figure out what is giving you trouble in school an fix that ASAP. From today on wards, you're allowed nothing but As. Retake all the courses you did bad in, then KILL the MCAT and you will have a chance in DO.

I was in your situation, I even got academically dismissed from one school due to poor performance. People on here told me that medicine wasn't for me. But by retaking your classes, show a serious upward trend in GPA and a HIGH MCAT score, you can get into DO.

Several suggestions above are all great, but I just don't see how OP can do better in the future compared to the past, unless OP begins the rebuilding process with the outside-of-classroom issues first.

OP, med schools aren't going anywhere. In fact, there will be many more by the time you apply. I think @kelminak 's got the logical approach.

You need to seriously figure out your personal life before you keep taking classes.

Find the motivation and encouragement within yourself and not from other people!! Right now, the issue isn't about getting into med school, it is about figuring out your academic troubles. Stop sulking and being down on whatever your problems are and do what you have to do. If your will is strong then there's no excuse. We all know you have to buckle down, study and do your work. If you're having psychological problems, seek help immediately.

Even if you get few A's at this point, it won't change much of your GPA.

If I were you, I would graduate as soon as possible, and go to Post Bac Program and study like crazy there.
Remember that this is your last chance, and stay focused and work hard.

Something is going on in your life, whether that is a family issue or a mental condition in order to explain for these dismal grades. If this is your truly best garnering all these Bs and Cs, you need to think of another career. It is that simple. However, I personally don't think that this is your truly best.