Hi all.. I'm no med student or anything, but this thread has kept me entertained for the last couple of weeks while I've been battling the 'flu (it's nasty down here this year!).. I thought I could add in a couple of my own lessons from my time as a bike courier (Messengers, according to the American types), if you don't mind...
Firstly though;
Pain makes people weird. Sometimes they literally cannot perceive, in the moment, that things are really under control and will soon be okay.
I suffer from Sciatica.
For the past six months or so, it's been fine, but occasionally it flares up, and when it does, there is nothing I wouldn't do for relief, and even though the strongest pain relief meds I can get my hands on don't do anything more than take the edge off it (and will probably turn me into a heroin user in the long term...), I'm often a complete buttwipe until they've kicked in...
And now, things I've learned from being a bike courier, and from others in the field:
1) There is no accident so hard that it will keep a courier lying on the road for more than a split second after it. Broken leg/s? Pick that bike up and run to the kerb before you get hit by the car behind you.
1b) If said accident is the result of somebody else's inattentiveness (or even perceived to be so), then looking after any injuries sustained will be secondary to abusing the other party involved.
I'd say these things are a result of that whole adrenalin-blocking-pain-sensors thing that allows Thug-tatt-man to be shot, yet whimper at the sight of a needle.
2) It is possible to ride one's bike while unconscious or asleep. I know this because I've done both of these things. The first one was after a rather nasty accident which left my helmet in several pieces. I regained consciousness outside my work's offices about an hour after the accident. At 10pm. On a Saturday night. The second one was, well.. I was pretty tired, I guess, and I had the 'dawn shift' that day. I woke up about three miles from where I was supposed to be.
3) JRAing (Just Riding Along) is what cyclists do instead of SOCMOBing, and the "Dude brothers have" an extended family; "Idiot Driver" "Damned Taxi" and "***** Pedestrian" (Some Guy, perhaps?). "Lycra Lady" (a gender neutral title) is also the sworn enemy of all couriers, and will entice Courierman to do reckless things (aka JRA)
If somebody has been JRAing, then you can bet that Idiot Driver will have decided to run them off the road, or Damned Taxi will do a U-turn without checking his mirrors first, or ***** Pedestrian will walk in front of them.
Note: That last one will usually result in a visit to you guys from ***** Pedestrian
Oh yes. JRAing quite often results in spontaneous mechanical failure of some vital component, such as, I dunno, folding a wheel in half, or snapping the frame...
Anyway, thanks for putting up with this post guys - you're doing a bang-up job; both here, and in the ER... It's almost inspiring me to want to be in EM, just so I can also share fantastic tales of the strange goings on in the place, although I suspect that you guys have it worse off up in America, than we would in Australia...
👍 👍 👍 👍 👍 😍