To Gregory Gulick - NOVA interview 11/5- any advise?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

roger2004

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score

Greg,
I understand that you are the President of the class of 2003 at NOVA and you really know the ropes. I will be there for an interview on 11/5 and am psyched to say the least. NOVA was one of the schools at the top of my list, but since I am not a resident of Florida, so I had little hope of an interview.
I can't believe my luck at being asked and I wonder if you have any information on what one's chances if they interview early in Nov and come across reasonable well of course. Do they let you know quickly or do they let you suffer?
I have read everything I can including their web site, done the interviewfeedback.com site, and been in touch with Lounge senior member Henry who is a MS2, and has been extremely generous with information. I also called and asked for a course bulletin. From what I've read and from Henry's information, the four year curriculum does seem very innovative.
I like the IGC PRECEPTORSHIP Program and the opportunity to interact with patients in a clinical setting right away, I like the CLINICAL CORRELATION, and CLINICAL PRACTICUM in years one and two. It seems like a good way to learn - has that been your experience?
. Do you find the program to be as unique as it seems to be? I'd like to ask questions and discuss the curriculum at the interview but am afraid if I don't understand it completely it might be looked upon as a negative. However, it really seems quite progressive compared to other schools and for me that is a plus. What do you think?
What is your experience with the PBL approach to courses taught at the school? I hear they're well received by the students. Do you agree?
By the way, I LIKE THE IDEA OF A DRESS CODE too.
Are they very interested in you're being COMMITED TO PRACTICE IN FLORIDA? I understand there is a core 4th year rotation in Rural Medicine which sounds good - Do they put an EMPHASIS ON PRACTICING RURAL MEDICINE? Should I be up on my Managed Care info?, Politics? Anything in particular that you can remember?
Henry tells me there is a 3rd year rotation in southern New Jersey which would be nice-what about 4th year rotations? Where are they and do you have much choice? Also what about internship and residency stats -Do they have a good match record? Any affliliations with hospitals in New Jersey or New York - if you know?
I only applied to osteopathic schools so I have very specific reasons for choosing the osteopathic philosophy and am comfortable discussing this. Are there any suggestions you could give in the way of making the most of this interview? I LOVE the school and the location and what else can I say.
Thanks for your wisdom - sorry I am so long winded.

PS Learned about the" Harvey" and it sound great!

Members don't see this ad.

Greg,
that last very long post re NOVA was
from Rog Forgot to show a signature

------------------

rog

Roger, I'm glad to hear of your interest in NSUCOM! As you've probably read in some of my previous posts, it was my first choice. As a post-bacc premed, I would visit the school each summer for about a week. I'd hang out with professors, sit in on classes/labs, talk with students, etc. I just knew it was the place for me. And so far, I'm loving it.

Getting to some of your questions.

As far as out-of-state students go, we're packed with them so don't worry there. My immediate circle of close friends includes students from Mass, Washington, S. Carolina, and Japan.

You asked about your chances of acceptance since you are being interviewed so early. I'd say they are QUITE good. And since the class size is now 180, your chances are even better than they were two years ago.

The IGC Preceptorship is awesome. I love working with patients every other week. And I'm amazed at how much I'm learning. I lucked out and was assigned a great D.O. preceptor. He teaches me a lot!

And you are correct that the school is fairly progressive in their teaching. The auditoriums are state-of-the-art. Most lectures are done via PowerPoint. And the IGC Preceptorship is pretty novel as well. The school is one of the few schools in the world where you see patients so early in your first year. Although I don't know much about the PBL -- I don't think I'll see much of that as a first year.

And finally, you mentioned New Jersey. As I understand it, you could technically do your entire 3rd and 4th years up there if you wish.

Well, if you have any other questions, feel free to ask!

ggulick.gif

Members don't see this ad :)
Greg,
thanks for your reply. The school and the program sound terrific! I thought PowerPoint was a software program so how do they use that for lectures? If you could clarify.
I also understand there is course called Medical Informatics in year one. Is this a medical information technology course? Do you like the course?
Any info on response time after interviews? I am lucky enough to have one acceptance already but I am still hopeing for an acceptance from NOVA.
Thanks for any additional info you might share.

------------------

rog

Rog,

NSU-COM was my first choice as well. I am from Mississippi, so it is possible to get in as an out of state student.

As far as powerpoint goes, there is are projection TVs in most class rooms that are hooked up to computers. As a result the profs are able to do powerpoint presentations. The class rooms also have overhead projectors and "Elmo" display cameras.

As far as notification times: When I interviewed they told me that it would be 2-3 weeks and I think that it was more like 5-6. I was placed on the wait list at first and given an acceptance about 3 months later.

If you know much about computers then the medical informatics class will be a thorn. You start out with "this is how you turn on the computer", then you graduatate to "this is how you send e-mail"...... For me it was VERY easy.

Hope this helps.

Clinton

[This message has been edited by Nova2003 (edited October 08, 1999).]

Clinton,
Thanks for answering my questions about NSU-COM and Congrats on being a student there. Good Luck and maybe I'll get there too!

------------------

rog

Hi Rog,

I'll see you at Nova on 11/5.

Tej

Tej
OK , I'll be there!

------------------

rog