To late to apply for this cycle?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BigPrePod

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys and gals, first post here. I wasn't planning on applying until next cycle (graduate in the fall) but a close friend in podiatry school informed me that a lot of schools had a lot of open seats still. Because of this hes suggesting i apply for this cycle. Isn't it kind of late for this cycle? i take the MCAT on march 31st so i dont have a score for that. and my genetic research doesn't start until spring quarter (about 3 weeks from now so i cant list it on my app). any suggestions? Cgpa is 3.32 Sgpa is 3.5 super strong upward trend dont know if that help, thanks in advance for any help!

Members don't see this ad.

Yeah it's too late. Schools have a deadline for dates you can take the MCAT for it to count for that year (many schools don't accept MCAT scores after January for that current cycle). You won't get your scores back until end of April.

Also if you don't have any matierals submitted it takes time to get it verified. And a school won't accept you with an MCAT score. I suggest waiting until August when you have more time to go on interviews and can have a better selection of schools. No use trying to frantically rush to start :)

Last edited:
Hi guys and gals, first post here. I wasn't planning on applying until next cycle (graduate in the fall) but a close friend in podiatry school informed me that a lot of schools had a lot of open seats still. Because of this hes suggesting i apply for this cycle. Isn't it kind of late for this cycle? i take the MCAT on march 31st so i dont have a score for that. and my genetic research doesn't start until spring quarter (about 3 weeks from now so i cant list it on my app). any suggestions? Cgpa is 3.32 Sgpa is 3.5 super strong upward trend dont know if that help, thanks in advance for any help!
As one of the Temple professors says, "nothing ventured, nothing gained."

I would apply if I were you. There will be seats up through the close of the cycle. You have good GPAs si you'll probably be alright.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad :)
No, not too late. Getting there, but not there yet.

When I interviewed we had a representative who applied in may and still got in. Crazy.

Look to the bigger schools. They typically have more seats to give out.

Go for it. Your GPAs are solid.
I would apply if I were you. There will be seats up through the close of the cycle. You have good GPAs si you'll probably be alright.
thanks for the replies everyone, any suggestions on how to make my application seem more filled out? since i cant put the research down and havent taken the mcat it seems very empty. i have a decent amount of volunteer stuff (tornado relief worker, clubs, habitat for humanity, younglife, etc) but not much clinical experience. I would love to get in somewhere but if i apply and dont get in will this affect my chances next cycle? besides getting a new LOR?

thanks for the replies everyone, any suggestions on how to make my application seem more filled out? since i cant put the research down and havent taken the mcat it seems very empty. i have a decent amount of volunteer stuff (tornado relief worker, clubs, habitat for humanity, younglife, etc) but not much clinical experience. I would love to get in somewhere but if i apply and dont get in will this affect my chances next cycle? besides getting a new LOR?

Shadow adequately.

Quality over quantity. Any clubs you've been committed to for 3+ years. They can tell who's padding resumes when they see one. Most questions were directed to activities involved in over years.

Not too late as others have mentioned. And just put the research on your app, who cares. By the time you interview you would've started doing it. The schools aren't going to call your research professor to verify if you're there or not

Definitely not too late to apply. There have been students who were accepted the last day of the cycle.

Reactions: 1 user
Can you still apply after April 1st? I have my Mcat completed and I'm currently working on getting my transcripts. Life got in the way a bit and I couldn't apply earlier.

Can you still apply after April 1st? I have my Mcat completed and I'm currently working on getting my transcripts. Life got in the way a bit and I couldn't apply earlier.

Yes you can apply after April 1st.

Technically you can apply up until the deadline through AACPMAS, which for the 8 schools is 6/30 and 6/1 for AZPOD.
The deadlines mean that you have to have your application complete by then (application verification through transcripts, MCAT score, etc).
If there will be seats available or not at that point in the cycle is another story. You will have to email each program for this.

Yes you can apply after April 1st.

Technically you can apply up until the deadline through AACPMAS, which for the 8 schools is 6/30 and 6/1 for AZPOD.
The deadlines mean that you have to have your application complete by then (application verification through transcripts, MCAT score, etc).
If there will be seats available or not at that point in the cycle is another story. You will have to email each program for this.

If the dead lines are in June then why do I see that April 1st is the application deadline?

Just wanted to say I was in the same boat last year, I was planning to wait until the next cycle (this current one) but I was encouraged by a DPM to apply anyway. I sent out apps to all pod schools in May and got interviews at all schools except Midwestern (was waitlisted for an interview there, I assume since it's a class of 30 it filled up).

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
If the dead lines are in June then why do I see that April 1st is the application deadline?

For which school?

The AACPMAS deadline is what matters because your application goes through them first before they are sent out to the designated schools.

Keep in mind though that some schools have early-decision/priority deadlines for admissions, but the REAL deadline will be either 6/30 or 6/1 (azpod).

Last edited:
Just wanted to say I was in the same boat last year, I was planning to wait until the next cycle (this current one) but I was encouraged by a DPM to apply anyway. I sent out apps to all pod schools in May and got interviews at all schools except Midwestern (was waitlisted for an interview there, I assume since it's a class of 30 it filled up).

Thanks for the encouragement. But did you have amazing stats? Mine are average or maybe slightly below. Regardless I'm still applying

For which school?

The AACPMAS deadline is what matters because your application goes through them first before they are sent out to the designated schools.

Keep in mind though that some schools have early-decision/priority deadlines for admissions, but the REAL deadline will be either 6/30 or 6/1 (azpod).

Thanks for the info. I'll be applying to probably 7 schools. I should probably apply to all of them though.

Thanks for the encouragement. But did you have amazing stats? Mine are average or maybe slightly below. Regardless I'm still applying
I know this sounds weird but I can't say. I never calculated my science gpa and I didn't check my MCAT score, I just sent it out. Strange I know, especially in a sea of pre-meds who know their stats by heart but that's just my style. I did a MS too which I think was looked upon favorably.

I do say apply though! Nothing ventured nothing gained!

Reactions: 1 users
I know this sounds weird but I can't say. I never calculated my science gpa and I didn't check my MCAT score, I just sent it out. Strange I know, especially in a sea of pre-meds who know their stats by heart but that's just my style. I did a MS too which I think was looked upon favorably.

o_O :uhno: :uhno:

lol but im glad it worked for you!

Baller status.

I almost have everything I need to apply except for my transcripts and my letters of recommendation. I'm definitely going to miss the April 1st deadline but I'll apply soon after. My GPA is around 3.3 (sGPA 2.9 or 3.0) and my Mcat is 493. Well regardless I guess I'll still apply but I still want other's opinions on here. I'll be applying to most schools.

I almost have everything I need to apply except for my transcripts and my letters of recommendation. I'm definitely going to miss the April 1st deadline but I'll apply soon after. My GPA is around 3.3 (sGPA 2.9 or 3.0) and my Mcat is 493. Well regardless I guess I'll still apply but I still want other's opinions on here. I'll be applying to most schools.

My GPA and MCAT was identical to yours. Slightly higher MCAT retake and I got invites.

Shouldn't be a problem with the bigger classes.

My GPA and MCAT was identical to yours. Slightly higher MCAT retake and I got invites.

Shouldn't be a problem with the bigger classes.

Thanks! How are the interviews? I'm also concerned with traveling to different states and knowing where to go. I probably won't be able to afford to rent a car in every state I go to and I've never used public transportation before or at least in the last 10 years. I don't even know how to time a bus's departure close to my hotel to the school.

Thanks! How are the interviews? I'm also concerned with traveling to different states and knowing where to go. I probably won't be able to afford to rent a car in every state I go to and I've never used public transportation before or at least in the last 10 years. I don't even know how to time a bus's departure close to my hotel to the school.
there's an app for that :D

Don't overthink it. Hotel--> taxi/uber--> school campus--> airport-->back home in one piece safe & sound

The interviews were 1 part intense and 2 parts very relaxed. The entire day may be draining. Eat healthy. Work out. Get plenty of sleep the days leading up to it. Your immune system will take a hit if you fly alot.

Review any holes or weaknesses in your application. Explain why they occurred, what you did between then and now to fix it, and what you learned from it.
Go through the SDN interview questions. They are 99.9% accurate in terms of question types you may get.

I flew (due to my location, no schools in my state). If I was smarter I should have stuck to 1 airline and rack up a ****ton of reward points.
I stayed at Airbnbs and networked with family and friends. Crash at their place, Uber or drive to interview, come back.
Most of the schools provide you a list of hotels nearby, their prices, and complimentary shuttle from hotel --- school --- airport.
Kent was one of the schools where the entire traveling process was very streamlined. Complimentary shuttle to and from hotel --- school --- airport.
CSPM was a little trickier. First time taking public transport (BART) from SF airport --- Airbnb --- Uber to interview --- Uber to Oakland airport.
Western I had relatives to stay with but the actual interview site was 1.5 hours away. Got up early, borrowed a car and drove.

Do what you can with what you have.
Don't be afraid to try new things (public transport in my case was exhilarating) but be smart about it.
Research and prepare routes/board/logistics well in advanced and always have a backup plan.

Someone is growing up so fast. I think I'm getting emotional. When you are getting ready for your interview the schools do a good job of making sure you have all the info to get to your interview. You'll be good. It will also give you a chance to get to know the area you may be going to school. I used public transportation and it was a good experience.

Check out the interview feedback at the top of the page.

there's an app for that :D

Don't overthink it. Hotel--> taxi/uber--> school campus--> airport-->back home in one piece safe & sound

dr.phoot is spot on.

Keep it simple stupid. Less complicated the logistics and train of thought, less chance for something to go wrong.

The interviews were 1 part intense and 2 parts very relaxed. The entire day may be draining. Eat healthy. Work out. Get plenty of sleep the days leading up to it. Your immune system will take a hit if you fly alot.

Review any holes or weaknesses in your application. Explain why they occurred, what you did between then and now to fix it, and what you learned from it.
Go through the SDN interview questions. They are 99.9% accurate in terms of question types you may get.

I flew (due to my location, no schools in my state). If I was smarter I should have stuck to 1 airline and rack up a ****ton of reward points.
I stayed at Airbnbs and networked with family and friends. Crash at their place, Uber or drive to interview, come back.
Most of the schools provide you a list of hotels nearby, their prices, and complimentary shuttle from hotel --- school --- airport.
Kent was one of the schools where the entire traveling process was very streamlined. Complimentary shuttle to and from hotel --- school --- airport.
CSPM was a little trickier. First time taking public transport (BART) from SF airport --- Airbnb --- Uber to interview --- Uber to Oakland airport.
Western I had relatives to stay with but the actual interview site was 1.5 hours away. Got up early, borrowed a car and drove.

Do what you can with what you have.
Don't be afraid to try new things (public transport in my case was exhilarating) but be smart about it.
Research and prepare routes/board/logistics well in advanced and always have a backup plan.

Seriously thanks for the advice and for sharing your experience. That seems a lot lets intimidating than I thought it would be (if I'm fortunate to get interviews at least.)

Someone is growing up so fast. I think I'm getting emotional. When you are getting ready for your interview the schools do a good job of making sure you have all the info to get to your interview. You'll be good. It will also give you a chance to get to know the area you may be going to school. I used public transportation and it was a good experience.

Check out the interview feedback at the top of the page.

:/ Sorry I didn't have a lot of money growing up so I didn't travel very much. But okay I'll check out those interview posts. That seems very useful. I've been wanting to become a podiatrist for the last three years now so I hope this works out for me God willing.

Seriously thanks for the advice and for sharing your experience. That seems a lot lets intimidating than I thought it would be (if I'm fortunate to get interviews at least.)

:/ Sorry I didn't have a lot of money growing up so I didn't travel very much. But okay I'll check out those interview posts. That seems very useful. I've been wanting to become a podiatrist for the last three years now so I hope this works out for me God willing.
If you interview with KSUCPM, let me know if you have any questions!!!! Best of luck!!!

Interviewed at a few schools this cycle! I stayed at hotels that provided complimentary shuttle service to campus! If you're interviewing at a city school you can choose accommodations that are walking distance.

Good luck!

Apply ASAP assuming you have pre reqs and MCAT. Applications are way down this cycle. The latest I heard from a classmate was applying in June.

Apply ASAP assuming you have pre reqs and MCAT. Applications are way down this cycle. The latest I heard from a classmate was applying in June.

Hopefully that means I'll have an easier time this cycle as opposed to next cycle even though I'm applying way late. Why are applications down this year anyways? There hasn't been much of a change in the profession recently so it doesn't make sense. Are people afraid of not matching to a residency after graduation? I thought matching rates were getting better in the last two years.

Hopefully that means I'll have an easier time this cycle as opposed to next cycle even though I'm applying way late. Why are applications down this year anyways? There hasn't been much of a change in the profession recently so it doesn't make sense. Are people afraid of not matching to a residency after graduation? I thought matching rates were getting better in the last two years.
I posted in another thread about why I think they are down, but basically I'd call it an anomaly rather than a downward trend. However, I think that the residency shortage from some years ago definitely contributed in part. Match stats are just coming out and my school just posted a 100% match rate. That being said, there are still graduates from previous years going unmatched, and graduates from this year not matching as well. It's no longer at 'shortage' levels, but not at a level I'd be particularly concerned about.

I posted in another thread about why I think they are down, but basically I'd call it an anomaly rather than a downward trend. However, I think that the residency shortage from some years ago definitely contributed in part. Match stats are just coming out and my school just posted a 100% match rate. That being said, there are still graduates from previous years going unmatched, and graduates from this year not matching as well. It's no longer at 'shortage' levels, but not at a level I'd be particularly concerned about.

Interesting. Not getting a residency after four years of grooling education seems pretty intimidating. Especially with those loans

You should always be concerned about the match. Go to as many programs as possible and put yourself in the best position as you can come match day. There are quite a few people that have good stats that still scramble and may not get a program. That being said, there are also those who probably just managed to get through school and don't deserve a spot. Some of you may have noticed that I tend to ask those with lower stats who apply if they really think they can excel during pod school. If you can't then you may become another person in the pool of unmatched grads. Another problem with not matching is that you can't practice in most states without having completed a residency. That is a big risk when you decide to go into podiatry.

God bless this post because I've been frantically looking through the pre-pod forums trying to decide if its worth applying still or not at this point. I basically found out about podiatry school a week ago when I got a Kent State email trying to recruit from recent MCAT takers. Took the MCAT in January, have had a ton of experience shadowing and about a semester's worth of experience shadowing an orthotics tech and a DPM, have a few LOR written out, and have always had an affinity for foot hygiene and surgery -> podiatry sounds perfect!!! Just didn't know it was it's own program and title. I have about the same statistics and will be meeting with my pre-health advisor this upcoming week; pending her recommendation, I may push forward to apply this cycle! (Only thing holding me back is about a semester worth of courses to wrap up an engineering degree, is it worth trying to finish? Who knows...)

God bless this post because I've been frantically looking through the pre-pod forums trying to decide if its worth applying still or not at this point. I basically found out about podiatry school a week ago when I got a Kent State email trying to recruit from recent MCAT takers. Took the MCAT in January, have had a ton of experience shadowing and about a semester's worth of experience shadowing an orthotics tech and a DPM, have a few LOR written out, and have always had an affinity for foot hygiene and surgery -> podiatry sounds perfect!!! Just didn't know it was it's own program and title. I have about the same statistics and will be meeting with my pre-health advisor this upcoming week; pending her recommendation, I may push forward to apply this cycle! (Only thing holding me back is about a semester worth of courses to wrap up an engineering degree, is it worth trying to finish? Who knows...)

Worth trying to finish the Engineering degree? lol, of course.

You can technically apply now and if you have good stats then you might get an acceptance somewhere this cycle. But, I personally feel that you should apply for the next cycle (2018) because finishing one degree and starting another one right away will only lead to burnout. Rather, take some time off, enjoy, take a vacation, and apply the first day for the next cycle!

Worth trying to finish the Engineering degree? lol, of course.

You can technically apply now and if you have good stats then you might get an acceptance somewhere this cycle. But, I personally feel that you should apply for the next cycle (2018) because finishing one degree and starting another one right away will only lead to burnout. Rather, take some time off, enjoy, take a vacation, and apply the first day for the next cycle!
I will be forced to spread out that semester into a part-time year (fall and spring only courses left, I'm okay with this bc it keeps my loans frozen.) So it's still intriguing to me to have a quick life turn-around and apply to a program sooner than I thought. Applying next cycle definitely has its sound perks. I can't help but feel it would be stupid to leave an engineering degree 3 classes short. But at the same time, I can't help but feel like I know engineering is definitely not what I want to do.

I'm on hold from NYC, Temple and Kent State pending my MCAT. Waiting until May 2. Def not too late, I'm just sitting here waiting for my testing results. Kent and Temple gave me an interview, so I doubt it is too late if they are willing to wait for me.

I will be forced to spread out that semester into a part-time year (fall and spring only courses left, I'm okay with this bc it keeps my loans frozen.) So it's still intriguing to me to have a quick life turn-around and apply to a program sooner than I thought. Applying next cycle definitely has its sound perks. I can't help but feel it would be stupid to leave an engineering degree 3 classes short. But at the same time, I can't help but feel like I know engineering is definitely not what I want to do.
As a non trad - I sincerely hope you finish your engineering degree first!

Regardless of whether you go into engineering, it will still open doors for you in the future.

Do not let the allure of something new and exciting trump the time and work you've put in. Podiatry will be just as hard and mundane at times, it'll just be a different kind of hard and mundane. Do not toss your engineering degree down the drain by not finishing. Even if it postpones your podiatry plans for a Year, at least you won't be tossing the last 4-5 years down the drain.

I was originally going to take a gap year and apply next cycle. However, I have decided if it is possible I would like to go ahead and apply this cycle. My personal statement is finished. I still need to send my transcripts, do not have LOR (I have writers and they will be in by June latest), and will be moving my MCAT from June to May. My cumulative GPA is 3.6x and science GPA 3.4x with upward trend. I have the ECs, shadowing, volunteering, etc. Do you guys think I have shot? If so, which schools?

I was originally going to take a gap year and apply next cycle. However, I have decided if it is possible I would like to go ahead and apply this cycle. My personal statement is finished. I still need to send my transcripts, do not have LOR (I have writers and they will be in by June latest), and will be moving my MCAT from June to May. My cumulative GPA is 3.6x and science GPA 3.4x with upward trend. I have the ECs, shadowing, volunteering, etc. Do you guys think I have shot? If so, which schools?
Mcat? I have almost identical stats as you so I am also curious!