This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ahhhsomanyquestions

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Here's what I have so far:

Undergrad Major: Health Education
cGPA: 3.83
sGPA: 3.71

I have not taken the MCAT yet - I plan on taking in March 2020.

My story -
I went through most of college being pre-PA and switched a few weeks before I graduated. In undergrad, I completed all of the prereqs I need for medical school with the exception of Physics 2. I used AP credits for Physics 1, so I may need to retake that as well (any advice about that is welcome).

Professional Experience:
Medical assistant at an internal medicine practice for 2 yrs (around 2500 hours). This includes a lot of leadership experience as head MA and co-hiring manager.
Clinical research coordinator for the department of rheumatology in the college of medicine at the undergrad college I went to (began position after graduation in May 2019).
Server at a catering company (2 years)

Research Experience:
Undergrad research for 4 years working on bacteriophage as an alternative to antibiotics. Author of a poster presentation.

Volunteer Experience:
Hospital volunteering (1 semester) and Arts in Medicine Volunteering (1 semester)

Undergrad certificate in ceramics with a focus on anatomical art (human figure sculpture)

My original plan was to take the MCAT in March 2020 and take physics 2 at my local state college as my original undergrad institution does not allow non-degree seeking students. I struggle with the feeling that what I have done/plan to do is not enough. Any advice for places I can improve? Does it seem like I need another year to retake both physics courses before taking the MCAT and applying?

Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

Here's what I have so far:

Undergrad Major: Health Education
cGPA: 3.83
sGPA: 3.71

I have not taken the MCAT yet - I plan on taking in March 2020.

My story -
I went through most of college being pre-PA and switched a few weeks before I graduated. In undergrad, I completed all of the prereqs I need for medical school with the exception of Physics 2. I used AP credits for Physics 1, so I may need to retake that as well (any advice about that is welcome).

Professional Experience:
Medical assistant at an internal medicine practice for 2 yrs (around 2500 hours). This includes a lot of leadership experience as head MA and co-hiring manager.
Clinical research coordinator for the department of rheumatology in the college of medicine at the undergrad college I went to (began position after graduation in May 2019).
Server at a catering company (2 years)

Research Experience:
Undergrad research for 4 years working on bacteriophage as an alternative to antibiotics. Author of a poster presentation.

Volunteer Experience:
Hospital volunteering (1 semester) and Arts in Medicine Volunteering (1 semester)

Undergrad certificate in ceramics with a focus on anatomical art (human figure sculpture)

My original plan was to take the MCAT in March 2020 and take physics 2 at my local state college as my original undergrad institution does not allow non-degree seeking students. I struggle with the feeling that what I have done/plan to do is not enough. Any advice for places I can improve? Does it seem like I need another year to retake both physics courses before taking the MCAT and applying?

Thank you!
Any physician shadowing? What about nonclinical volunteering? Those are the things that you seem to be missing from the OP.

Reactions: 2 users
Any physician shadowing? What about nonclinical volunteering? Those are the things that you seem to be missing from the OP.
Other than arts in medicine, no nonclinical volunteering. I thought that volunteering in arts in medicine was a good way to further incorporate my art background into the big picture. Would you suggest doing something outside of that or registering to volunteer with arts in medicine for a few more semesters?

I also do not have physician shadowing. I definitely need to work on that but my current job as an MA includes a lot of "shadowing" per se so I wasn't sure how much more time I needed to dedicate to shadowing.

Thank you so much for the suggestions!