To those accepted to ASDOH....

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jim85213

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
.....did you get a call about the offer? I know some of you said that they called you because of special circumstances but do they usually inform you of the offer solely by mail?

Members don't see this ad.

It seems like there are a lot of "special circumstances" going on lately. Perhaps they hold the final spots for those who have relatives or friends affiliated with the school. In answer to your question, I received a phone call, but that was on Dec. 1st. I know someone who had "special circumstances" who received a phone call from the school today.

Members don't see this ad :)
I received a phone call Jan 18th & I have no relatives/affiliation with the school-- It was more of a personal courtesy, I guess, from my interviewer-- He just said that he "wanted to be the one to tell me..." I'm not sure if that helps...

It seems like there are a lot of "special circumstances" going on lately. Perhaps they hold the final spots for those who have relatives or friends affiliated with the school. In answer to your question, I received a phone call, but that was on Dec. 1st. I know someone who had "special circumstances" who received a phone call from the school today.

I truly doubt that they save spots for those with relatives. I got a phone call and know absolutely nobody from mesa, or even arizona. I think that some of the interviewers want to call some of the people they had good rapport with to tell them the good news. That's one job i wouldn't mind doing

I truly doubt that they save spots for those with relatives. I got a phone call and know absolutely nobody from mesa, or even arizona. I think that some of the interviewers want to call some of the people they had good rapport with to tell them the good news. That's one job i wouldn't mind doing

Hey that's not true.

Hey that's not true.

The first sentence may or may not be true. It is only my opinion. Unless someone has any facts or evidence, nobody really knows. Sure I may be naive to think that they don't accept family members, but if they do it sucks for all others applying. The rest of my post is fact.

The first sentence may or may not be true. It is only my opinion. Unless someone has any facts or evidence, nobody really knows. Sure I may be naive to think that they don't accept family members, but if they do it sucks for all others applying. The rest of my post is fact.

No you misunderstood....look at the part I bolded in your quote. You do know someone from Mesa/AZ....me.

I've wondered about what the benefits of having a family connection to a school are and if that would really play a role in determining if an applicant was accepted. After three years of applications and doing my best to network I have come to the conclusion that there are not a specific number of spots "reserved" for those with connections. However, I also believe whole-heartedly that it is not what you know but who you know. This may sound cliche, but the politics that go on behind the scenes (probably more so at private schools) has got to be far greater than most believe. Just my opinion though

Maybe not for ASDOH becuase it is such a new school, but I know alumni letters can make a big difference.

LOL I guess that's true, but what I meant was anybody with some say so in the admission process. I actually talked to joyce yesterday and she said that the comittee sometimes does call people.

No you misunderstood....look at the part I bolded in your quote. You do know someone from Mesa/AZ....me.

I dont think so, cuz i dont think tissy got a call

Dr. Zais called me yesterday and let me know that I was accepted. I called Joyce Haynie on Thursday to ask about my status. Even though I have not been accepted elsewhere she was glad to give me an update.

Hello,
I am not a dental applicant, but an applicant to the med school there. I interviewed a little over a week ago and have not heard anything yet. I am thinking about calling Joyce tomorrow for a status update. When you called her what was she able to tell you? Had you already been put on a waiting list? The med school is new this year so there is not much info about stuff like this on the premed threads. Thanks for any information!