Touro-CA MSMHS-COM 2019-2020

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Just to clarify, so in a class of (potentially) 60, only 12 got all the way to “accepted”? I mean I know not everyone applies for the immediate upcoming year, some opt for the following year. Still some clarification would be nice! 12 seems low ‍Also I might be misreading or misunderstanding something.
Thank you for your inputs, they have been very helpful!

Ok so I have some better estimates: so out of a class of 60ish sure, 34 people applied for entry this year. 5 of those were early interviewers which means that they were a shoe-in for acceptance at TUCOM barring that they punched the interviewer in the face. 6 were put on the regular waitlist, and 23 were put on accept-hold. As of this week, 15 of those 23 accept holds have now been offered a spot in this year's class, leaving 8 accept holds. I imagine that a few more will get off by the end of the summer though.

I hope this is better clarification. Cuz Touro won't give you that kind of transparency. Or maybe they will tell you at orientation, who knows.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 2 users
SpaceDoctor8, Thank you so much for taking the time to provide such a thoughtful response. I see that Touro does hold high regard and I have no doubt in the program itself but this was helpful. I know regardless my goal is to do well in whatever program I choose and to see where I will be a good fit but my anxiety stems from not having clear information on the website as to where their graduates tend to move onto, I wouldn't even mind seeing what other jobs they may move onto if it isn't Medical School. It is very helpful though to know that the application process to TUCCOM is explained through the Master's Program!

No problem Fish. Unfortunately, the Master's program is kind of a sub group under the general Touro umbrella so there is not much information published on the website about where graduates go. I will say probably 80% end up going to Touro, either by choice, or because it's their last option. But that doesn't mean that you are boxed in to Touro if you attend this Master's program. Even though it is a DO master's program, you are still taking physiology, pharm, biochemistry, anatomy, etc. which are all classes you take in any medical school. That's why your performance will enhance your apps for DO or MD schools.

In our class, we actually had one person who became a dentist! Pretty dope. I would say everyone who has come through the program is aiming for med school since the program is advertised for those people. But I am sure you can still explore other job avenues regardless if not med school.

Going through the Master's program as an unofficial pipeline to TUCOM is a nice well kept secret (assuming very good academic performance), it's just that there is such little information posted about admissions statistics for this program, that people are always weary, which is understandable.

Reactions: 1 users
do they drug screen for the MSMHS program? Coming from a cannabis friendly state. I don't intend to continue during the program, but I need the time to clear my system before any possible test. Can any current or former students weigh in on this? And if they do screen, can you please clarify when?

Totally fair question. As a followup question, is it like an every day thing or once a week thing? I just ask because that partially determines how long it can be detected in urine screens-- like if you don't use it too much, then it would take like 3-7 days to clear your system. If you are a daily user, then it could be like 30 days+ to clear. But then again you might already know this, in which case I apologize for my redundancy!

They do NOT do drug screenings for the Master's program. They actually don't even do drug screenings for the 1st year of med school either, they do drug screenings starting April of 2nd year of med school.

THAT BEING SAID-- they technically can change this policy at any moment just because. Based on my recent check though, there is no official drug screen of any sort for Master's, before or during the program. Hope that guides the timeline of your recreational activities :)

Members don't see this ad :)
I got a voicemail from admissions saying I was accepted, but I have until tomorrow to answer. Kind of weird that they would do that. I mean I live in NJ and living/moving there would be expensive. Also no guaranteed acceptance. From what I've seen most students that get in are from UC schools and also have an average of 508. Anyone seen any success from this program?

Last edited:
First
I got a voicemail from Naisha Bible saying I was accepted off the waitlist, but I have until tomorrow to answer. Kind of weird that they would do that. I mean I live in NJ and living/moving there would be expensive. Also no guaranteed acceptance. From what I've seen most students that get in are from UC schools and also have an average of 508. Anyone seen any success from this program?
Firstly congratulations!
I am from UC and have a 508, still waiting to hear back.
You are for sure in a better position than those who are waiting to hear back.

I got a voicemail from Naisha Bible saying I was accepted off the waitlist, but I have until tomorrow to answer. Kind of weird that they would do that. I mean I live in NJ and living/moving there would be expensive. Also no guaranteed acceptance. From what I've seen most students that get in are from UC schools and also have an average of 508. Anyone seen any success from this program?

I was in a similar position to you. I got a voicemail from Naisha and I had like 2 or 3 days to decide if I was going to the program and I am not originally from CA. She called because they are nearing the last few spots of the program so they get worried people won't read their email. Definitely a bit strange, but it is an acceptance no less. There is no guaranteed acceptance technically, but good performance in the program will get you a long way and very very likely can get you an acceptance into TUCOM if that's your aim. I am interested to see where you heard about the UC and 508 part. Myself, I was not from a UC, and did not have a 508 (it was lower).

And what do you mean by "success from the program"?

I was in a similar position to you. I got a voicemail from Naisha and I had like 2 or 3 days to decide if I was going to the program and I am not originally from CA. She called because they are nearing the last few spots of the program so they get worried people won't read their email. Definitely a bit strange, but it is an acceptance no less. There is no guaranteed acceptance technically, but good performance in the program will get you a long way and very very likely can get you an acceptance into TUCOM if that's your aim. I am interested to see where you heard about the UC and 508 part. Myself, I was not from a UC, and did not have a 508 (it was lower).

And what do you mean by "success from the program"?

I looked on their website to see demographics. Most students were UC grads. Also 508 was found somewhere on there. What I mean by success is getting into a US MD/DO school. There are 60 so out of 60 how many get into Touro, other US MD/DOs or nowhere at all. Thanks for your input.

First

Firstly congratulations!
I am from UC and have a 508, still waiting to hear back.
You are for sure in a better position than those who are waiting to hear back.

Sorry what I meant was most people who get into TU DO not the masters have a 508.

Just got off the waitlist and accepted into the program!!! Sooooooo excited!!!

Sorry what I meant was most people who get into TU DO not the masters have a 508.

Oh see that is different. Those who are accepted into the TUCOM DO program that are NON-master's....yes a lot of them are UC grads, because they want to stay in Cali. And the average MCAT is 508 or something like that. BUT, that's the point of the Master's program. A lot of people don't have those stats going into the Master's and still make it into TUCOM. A lot of people have sub 500 MCAT, taken the MCAT 3x, sub 3.0 GPA, and they do well in the Master's, and they get accepted into the Touro DO program.

In terms of where the people in the Master's program go when they apply, there is no official data on that. Usually half of each class will apply to Touro , and most get in. There are some stats in previous posts on this thread. People also apply to MD and other DO schools and do get in, but there are no official numbers on that unfortunately. Hope that helps.

Just got a rejection notification this morning. Good luck to those who got accepted.

Members don't see this ad :)
Just got a rejection notification this morning. Good luck to those who got accepted.

Honestly, I think they might've rejected you because they think you can get into many DO or even MD programs w/ that mcat (contingent on gpa and ECs) as long as your gpa is a 3.4 or ^. I mean not many students are coming into SMPs with a 508 unless they're the bigger ones.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Oh see that is different. Those who are accepted into the TUCOM DO program that are NON-master's....yes a lot of them are UC grads, because they want to stay in Cali. And the average MCAT is 508 or something like that. BUT, that's the point of the Master's program. A lot of people don't have those stats going into the Master's and still make it into TUCOM. A lot of people have sub 500 MCAT, taken the MCAT 3x, sub 3.0 GPA, and they do well in the Master's, and they get accepted into the Touro DO program.

In terms of where the people in the Master's program go when they apply, there is no official data on that. Usually half of each class will apply to Touro , and most get in. There are some stats in previous posts on this thread. People also apply to MD and other DO schools and do get in, but there are no official numbers on that unfortunately. Hope that helps.

Okay, thanks for your input. I was accepted w/o an MCAT which is why I was contemplating on accepting the offer.

Just got off the waitlist and accepted into the program!!! Sooooooo excited!!!

Congrats, excited for you!! :) If you dont mind me asking, did you send in a letter of intent after getting on the waitlist?

Thanks. I am exploring my options. Any suggestions?
it would depend on your circumstance. what stats and how much experience did you apply with?
if you really want to do a post-bac/SMP for this cycle still, maybe check postbac CAS to see which schools are still taking applications and if those schools have linkage options as well

Congrats, excited for you!! :) If you dont mind me asking, did you send in a letter of intent after getting on the waitlist?

Hi there! Yes, I submitted a letter of intent after being waitlisted. I was also going to add an LOR but I didn't get a chance to. Good luck!!

For some reason, the book list link does not work on the website. Does anyone have the booklist, and also recommendations for school supplies?

Hi there! Yes, I submitted a letter of intent after being waitlisted. I was also going to add an LOR but I didn't get a chance to. Good luck!!

Makes sense, thank you for your reply! Thank you, you too!! :)

For some reason, the book list link does not work on the website. Does anyone have the booklist, and also recommendations for school supplies?
I would wait on buying books for the classes because you won't need most of the books on that list. If you do need any, rent them; Lippincott's Biochem is very helpful along with gray's anatomy and netter's atlas for anatomy in the spring (some prefer the Thieme atlas). Most info will be in powerpoints or handouts.

would you guys say this master's program is pretty tough to get into? is it pretty competitive or not too gnarly? Wondering if anyone has any admission stats! or if they have a general feel after working with admissions/talking to admin. I am just curious

Accepted off the waitlist today, feeling so happy and blessed! :)

Reactions: 5 users
Just got accepted, when do classes start. They offered me a seat. I’m in a rush to sort everything together so if anyone can also tell me where to look for housing that would be appreciated.

Just got accepted, when do classes start. They offered me a seat. I’m in a rush to sort everything together so if anyone can also tell me where to look for housing that would be appreciated.

Congrats!! :) Orientation is 4th and 5th. Classes start 6th!! I feel ya on that, best of luck to you! :) It's def. a rush for the both of us, but it's all worth it :)

The answers to all your questions are in this FB group!

Oh I am so sorry, I did not see the last part of the question! I was also advised to contact Dr. Irene Favreau at [email protected] for housing.. Hope this helps!

The orientation is August 4th and 5th I believe and then classes start on the 6th. You can use this site Housing and Rentals - Touro California Student Life to find housing directed towards students. If you are not from the area, just so you know vallejo is the city the school is in but more technically it is on Mare Island. If you find a place to live in Vallejo you will more likely have to drive to school where as if you find a place on mare island you could bike, walk, or drive to class but there are no real businesses on the island like grocery stores or anything. Also would add vallejo has some pretty rough neighborhoods so just be sure to do as much research as you can!

Also ask to be added to the FB group that SpaceDoctor8 posted previously!

The orientation is August 4th and 5th I believe and then classes start on the 6th. You can use this site Housing and Rentals - Touro California Student Life to find housing directed towards students. If you are not from the area, just so you know vallejo is the city the school is in but more technically it is on Mare Island. If you find a place to live in Vallejo you will more likely have to drive to school where as if you find a place on mare island you could bike, walk, or drive to class but there are no real businesses on the island like grocery stores or anything. Also would add vallejo has some pretty rough neighborhoods so just be sure to do as much research as you can!

Also ask to be added to the FB group that SpaceDoctor8 posted previously!

I just paid my deposit, I found a pretty decent place to stay judging by the fact that the country club is right next door lol. I also noticed that the agreement I have to sign states that in order to be given a guaranteed interview I must reapply to the school. I never applied to medical schools to start off with, will the stop me from having a guaranteed interview?

Hey SpaceDoctor8, thanks for the great in-detailed answer. I have a family and am thus very focused on getting into TUCOM. As far as commutting, I'm already locked for commutting for the next 5 years, assuming I'll hopefully get in.

I'm PM you for another question if that's alright!
how competitive is it to get into the masters program?

how competitive is it to get into the masters program?

Applications are evaluated for many factors that include GPA (do you meet the cutoffs listed on the Touro website, and how does the overall academic picture look), extracurriculars (do you demonstrate passion and initiative), essays (similar thing as extracurrics), and letters of recommendation (how strong are they).

About 60 people enter the class every year, and I would say it can be fairly competitive, but not impossible. If you put your best foot forward, then your application can speak for itself!

Hi, does anyone know when the application usually opens?

From my research, likely January for the upcoming 2020-2021 cycle.

yup, it's usually January. the good thing is that even though it is rolling admissions, we see more applications come around April or May, so don't worry if you need more time to think about whether you want to apply to the program or see what your Spring grades are.

Hello everyone,

I am a currently a first year D.O. student attending TUCOM-CA who also did the MSMHS-COM program at Touro. I am starting the forum for any prospective applicants who may have questions relating to the program in the context of admissions, financial aid, housing, social life, anything. I am sure a lot of the former Master's are around SDN and will be more than happy to chime in and answer all the questions you may have! Good luck on your application!

P.S. Feel free to peruse around last year's thread for some good information as well.
Hello!
Thank you so much for opening this forum! I am applying to the MSMHS-COM program however the application hasn't opened yet. Do you per chance remember what kind of supplemental questions they asked for? I wanted an idea of the type of questions it could be and prepare a little. Also, they didn't mention having an option to submit LoRs through Interfolio. Do you know if thats an option? Otherwise I should wait to request the letters.

Hello everyone,

I am a currently a first year D.O. student attending TUCOM-CA who also did the MSMHS-COM program at Touro. I am starting the forum for any prospective applicants who may have questions relating to the program in the context of admissions, financial aid, housing, social life, anything. I am sure a lot of the former Master's are around SDN and will be more than happy to chime in and answer all the questions you may have! Good luck on your application!

P.S. Feel free to peruse around last year's thread for some good information as well.

Hello!

I am a second semester African American senior interested in applying to medical school but my low GPA has me at a crossroads on how to go about it. I am interested in the Touro California SMP. Here are my stats so far:

Major: biology with concentration in cell and molecular biology
Minor: psychology
****is an MCAT or GRE score required? I am trying to apply to programs that don't require them.
  • 3.32 cGPA
    • My gpa at my university is 3.28 but that is without the credits I transferred. I took organic chem 1 and 2 at a community college over the summer and got A’s in both therefore this 3.32 GPA is after factoring those in. I am hoping to get my GPA up to a 3.4 by the end of this semester- I am taking 16 credits
    • Also here is my yearly GPA (each just consisting of my grades that academic year):
      • Freshman GPA: 3.3
      • Sophomore GPA: 3.1
      • Junior: 3.36
      • Senior (Fall only): 3.49
  • 3.0ish sGPA
    • C+ in gen chem 1 and 2, C in biochem, and C in genetics everything else A’s and B’s
    • I have explanations for gen chem 1 and genetics
    • Gen chem 1- I was in the ER with a bad virus and my professor made it clear he did not offer make up exams so the day after I was discharged I took it on time and failed. I would have gotten a B- at least otherwise
    • C in genetics was due to bad instruction on professors end, so bad in fact many students complained and she was put on academic probation + was not allowed to teach the course the semester after I took it. I found out that she was put on probation last semester. I took the class Fall 2018, so she was put on probation from my semester then and to my knowledge she is still on probation and is not teaching the same course again this spring.
  • Undergraduate research assistant at my university's medical school for one year
  • Learning assistant in an intro biology class for one semester + biology tutor for that same amount of time
  • Marketing chair of iGEM as of Fall 2019- our org was created last semester
  • Philanthropy chair of AXE (chemistry frat) since Fall 2019, member for 2 years, I also do chemistry tutoring through this organization
  • Took a scribe class and did clinicals for a semester
  • Taking a theory and research in clinical practice class this semester, will do more clinicals for that class as well
Thank you SO much and congrats on your acceptance!

****is an MCAT or GRE score required? I am trying to apply to programs that don't require them.

Hi! An MCAT score is NOT required for the Masters Program at Touro (MSMHS-COM), but it will be required for your application with Touro-COM if you choose to apply there afterwards.

Hi! An MCAT score is NOT required for the Masters Program at Touro (MSMHS-COM), but it will be required for your application with Touro-COM if you choose to apply there afterwards.
I see!! Thank you so much for your response!

@agy2020 I applied to the masters program and am now waiting on a decision. I just wanted to ask what the best time is to take the MCAT. Will there be time after the program ends to study for it or should I prepare now and take it over summer?

Can someone please answer my previous question? i would really appreciate it. I need to make major decisions depending on whether or not I should study and take the MCAT before starting Touro MSMHS.

Can someone please answer my previous question? i would really appreciate it. I need to make major decisions depending on whether or not I should study and take the MCAT before starting Touro MSMHS.

Study and take the MCAT before you start the MSMHS program. From what I hear, it is a very rigorous program.

I think it depends what you want to do in terms of your application timeline. Taking the MCAT during the Master's year can be very tricky, because it is indeed a rigorous program. If you would like to apply the same year that you finish the Master's program, then you should take the MCAT before the program. If you don't mind waiting a year to apply, then taking the MCAT after the Master's program has been very beneficial to people, from what I hear. i personally came in with an MCAT score and was able to apply the same year.

basically, would it be beneficial to take the MCAT after? absolutely, but you would have to take a year off to apply, if you are comfortable with that, then you could learn towards that decision.

I hope this made sense!

I think it depends what you want to do in terms of your application timeline. Taking the MCAT during the Master's year can be very tricky, because it is indeed a rigorous program. If you would like to apply the same year that you finish the Master's program, then you should take the MCAT before the program. If you don't mind waiting a year to apply, then taking the MCAT after the Master's program has been very beneficial to people, from what I hear. i personally came in with an MCAT score and was able to apply the same year.

basically, would it be beneficial to take the MCAT after? absolutely, but you would have to take a year off to apply, if you are comfortable with that, then you could learn towards that decision.

I hope this made sense!
Thank you! I do not want to wait another year and would like to apply the same year. i will graduate with a BS in March and am working part time. so I'll need to schedule study time around work. I think Touro starts in August?

Also for anyone who is applying this year ('20-'21 cycle) , please feel free to post in the new thread!

Thank you! I do not want to wait another year and would like to apply the same year. i will graduate with a BS in March and am working part time. so I'll need to schedule study time around work. I think Touro starts in August?

yes usually start last week of July/1st week of August. if you can, take the MCAT before the program. However, if you feel like you aren't scoring the way you want to, you may consider pushing it until after the Master's. definitely a personal preference!

Hello!

I am a second semester African American senior interested in applying to medical school but my low GPA has me at a crossroads on how to go about it. I am interested in the Touro California SMP. Here are my stats so far:

Major: biology with concentration in cell and molecular biology
Minor: psychology
  • 3.32 cGPA
    • My gpa at my university is 3.28 but that is without the credits I transferred. I took organic chem 1 and 2 at a community college over the summer and got A’s in both therefore this 3.32 GPA is after factoring those in. I am hoping to get my GPA up to a 3.4 by the end of this semester- I am taking 16 credits
    • Also here is my yearly GPA (each just consisting of my grades that academic year):
      • Freshman GPA: 3.3
      • Sophomore GPA: 3.1
      • Junior: 3.36
      • Senior (Fall only): 3.49
  • 3.0ish sGPA
    • C+ in gen chem 1 and 2, C in biochem, and C in genetics everything else A’s and B’s
    • I have explanations for gen chem 1 and genetics
    • Gen chem 1- I was in the ER with a bad virus and my professor made it clear he did not offer make up exams so the day after I was discharged I took it on time and failed. I would have gotten a B- at least otherwise
    • C in genetics was due to bad instruction on professors end, so bad in fact many students complained and she was put on academic probation + was not allowed to teach the course the semester after I took it. I found out that she was put on probation last semester. I took the class Fall 2018, so she was put on probation from my semester then and to my knowledge she is still on probation and is not teaching the same course again this spring.
  • Undergraduate research assistant at my university's medical school for one year
  • Learning assistant in an intro biology class for one semester + biology tutor for that same amount of time
  • Marketing chair of iGEM as of Fall 2019- our org was created last semester
  • Philanthropy chair of AXE (chemistry frat) since Fall 2019, member for 2 years, I also do chemistry tutoring through this organization
  • Took a scribe class and did clinicals for a semester
  • Taking a theory and research in clinical practice class this semester, will do more clinicals for that class as well
Thank you SO much and congrats on your acceptance!

btw, I think the stats look pretty good, if you have a well rounded application then I think you have a good shot at acceptance to the Master's program.