Touro-CA MSMHS-COM 2021-2022

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dr_Hazelnut

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone! I haven't seen a thread for this year yet, so I thought I would start it. I applied to the Touro CA MSMHS program back in late December 2020 via PostBacCas and received my acceptance today :giggle: !!! I'm super excited but also nervous. I've read all the older posts I could find about the program but would greatly appreciate any additional information or just a head start to get to know some of my future classmates. Thank you in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 2 users
Hey everyone! I haven't seen a thread for this year yet, so I thought I would start it. I applied to the Touro CA MSMHS program back in late December 2020 via PostBacCas and received my acceptance today :giggle: !!! I'm super excited but also nervous. I've read all the older posts I could find about the program but would greatly appreciate any additional information or just a head start to get to know some of my future classmates. Thank you in advance.
hello was there a code to send in your official MCAT score or is it just through the input section of standardized tests on postbaccas?
also if you don't mind me asking what are your stats?

hello was there a code to send in your official MCAT score or is it just through the input section of standardized tests on postbaccas?
Hi a_cruel

I actually haven't taken the MCAT yet so I did not have to submit a score on PostBacCas. Sorry

And sure, I don't mind sharing my stats:
cGPA:2.96, sGPA: 2.95. However, I have a strong upward trend with my Post-Baccalaureate GPA (3.72). I also have tons and tons of work/job, leadership, healthcare/medical experiences as well as a little bit of research experience. I'm hoping to take a class or two during summer so I can bump both my science and cumulative undergrad GPAs over 3.0 or I'll take the MCAT.

Members don't see this ad :)
Congratulations on your acceptance. I applied a few weeks ago and am nervously awaiting a response!

Reactions: 1 user
Congratulations on your acceptance. I applied a few weeks ago and am nervously awaiting a response!
Thanks! I know the feeling. I applied late December (verified Jan 7th) and heard back the first week of February (Feb 2nd). I hope you get some good news soon.

Thanks! I know the feeling. I applied late December (verified Jan 7th) and heard back the first week of February (Feb 2nd). I hope you get some good news soon.
Thank you for your kind energy, I truly appreciate it! Do you plan on taking the MCAT soon?

I applied to the program and just inputted my MCAT score in the PostBacCas application. Submitted my app last week and am in the verification process. Good luck everyone!

I'm still waiting on one more LOR, but other than that the rest of my app is complete.
do you guys know if it's better to submit my app now or would it be better to just wait for my professor to submit it to postbaccas?

I'm still waiting on one more LOR, but other than that the rest of my app is complete.
do you guys know if it's better to submit my app now or would it be better to just wait for my professor to submit it to postbaccas?
I would say submit now so PostBacCas can start verifying your grades. I know Touro Admissions does not start reviewing applications until everything is received

Hey guys I just applied to this program and have been complete for a few weeks now.

I am stuck between this program and the nsu KPCOM post bacc.

my gpa is 3.17cgpa 3.01 sgpa mcat 510.

the nsu program has a guaranteed acceptance with a 3.6+ in the program and guaranteed interview with 3.3+.

but I live within 15 minutes of mare island and Touro COM is my top choice. Any insight or suggestions would be appreciated.

Hey guys I just applied to this program and have been complete for a few weeks now.

the nsu program has a guaranteed acceptance with a 3.6+ in the program and guaranteed interview with 3.3+.

but I live within 15 minutes of mare island and Touro COM is my top choice. Any insight or suggestions would be appreciated.
You have a very competiive MCAT. Can I ask why you are applying to SMP's instead of to medical school? Even with your GPA, you would be a competitive candidate for DO.

You have a very competiive MCAT. Can I ask why you are applying to SMP's instead of to medical school? Even with your GPA, you would be a competitive candidate for DO.
Hey!

so I did apply for the first time this cycle to almost every DO school. I was able to get 3 II at the newer schools, but unfortunately I was waitlisted at all 3. I reached out to Touro CA which is my top choice on if I was competitive and they recommended me to this program. I plan on reapplying this summer but I want to do this program as well just in case so I don’t waste another year.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey!

so I did apply for the first time this cycle to almost every DO school. I was able to get 3 II at the newer schools, but unfortunately I was waitlisted at all 3. I reached out to Touro CA which is my top choice on if I was competitive and they recommended me to this program. I plan on reapplying this summer but I want to do this program as well just in case so I don’t waste another year.
Makes sense!

To answer your original question, I would take into account tuition and cost of living. If it's cheaper to stay in CA, it might be worth a shot to just stay. But since there is a guaranteed acceptance with KPCOM, that might be an option you want to explore. I would personally go with the guaranteed acceptance but only if I could see myself living in that area for the next 5 years. Hope this helps! I am also in the same boat with Touro Vallejo and Touro NY! NY has a guaranteed acceptance but idk if I can see myself in NY. But I told myself one step at a time, let's see if I get into anything first LOL

Makes sense!

To answer your original question, I would take into account tuition and cost of living. If it's cheaper to stay in CA, it might be worth a shot to just stay. But since there is a guaranteed acceptance with KPCOM, that might be an option you want to explore. I would personally go with the guaranteed acceptance but only if I could see myself living in that area for the next 5 years. Hope this helps! I am also in the same boat with Touro Vallejo and Touro NY! NY has a guaranteed acceptance but idk if I can see myself in NY. But I told myself one step at a time, let's see if I get into anything first LOL
Appreciate the insight! I agree with you.

I was accepted to the nsu post bacc, but waiting on Touro before I make a decision. Goodluck with your app!

I don’t know anything about the nsu KPCOM post bacc but the guaranteed acceptance does sound nice. But also sounds a bit too good to be true haha. I would just suggest researching their grading scale and how many students actually get a 3.6 each year. Also I would consider what type of teaching they’ll do doing this upcoming fall (ie hybrid, online, in-person) and if you could see yourself being successful enough in that type of environment to get a 3.6.

Touro does offers a guaranteed interview with a 3.00 or 80% (weighted by course units) or better and a MCAT score of 490 or better.

I don’t know anything about the nsu KPCOM post bacc but the guaranteed acceptance does sound nice. But also sounds a bit too good to be true haha. I would just suggest researching their grading scale and how many students actually get a 3.6 each year. Also I would consider what type of teaching they’ll do doing this upcoming fall (ie hybrid, online, in-person) and if you could see yourself being successful enough in that type of environment to get a 3.6.

Touro does offers a guaranteed interview with a 3.00 or 80% (weighted by course units) or better and a MCAT score of 490 or better.
Haha,

yea it sounded too good to be true to me as well. It’s a fairly new program so it’s hard to find lots of info on it. 100% of their inaugural class successfully matriculated into their school. This years students haven’t finished yet so not sure but I spoke with current students who like the program.

though staying close to home and family would be nice because Touro CA is ideally the school I’d attend for medschool. I just wish there was more of a guarantee with this program and what scares me as an older applicant is the amount of students who were waitlisted this past year after doing the program or being on accept/hold. I can’t really lose another year at my age.

Haha,

yea it sounded too good to be true to me as well. It’s a fairly new program so it’s hard to find lots of info on it. 100% of their inaugural class successfully matriculated into their school. This years students haven’t finished yet so not sure but I spoke with current students who like the program.

though staying close to home and family would be nice because Touro CA is ideally the school I’d attend for medschool. I just wish there was more of a guarantee with this program and what scares me as an older applicant is the amount of students who were waitlisted this past year after doing the program or being on accept/hold. I can’t really lose another year at my age.
100%!?! Yeah I’d probably lean a bit towards that program. Seems like you’ve already down a good amount of research and I don’t have any other info about or experience with the Touro MSMHS program besides what I find on here hahaha so I probably won’t be able to give you any extra insight 😬. I do have a couple of other friends who recently went to Touro for their MPH and PA programs and they enjoyed the programs. Hopefully as the year progress, you’ll hear more from current students from both programs and make a decision from there.

I’m also live close to Touro and I’m an older non-traditional student so I understand where your coming from. However, I can’t really move right now so Touro was perfect for me. Otherwise, I’d probably would’ve applied to more programs with acceptance guarantees or strong linkages. I hope I made a good decision.

For those who got an acceptance, how long did it take for y'all to hear back?

i recently just saw a reddit post about nsu and how they blacklist their students if students speak out against faculty.
obviously, take it with a grain of salt, just wanted to be sure it was on your radar!:)

Reactions: 3 users
I just submitted my application today.....the anxiety is killing me. Just hope to get in and I hope you all get in as well. I remember via the video session that they said it takes about 30 days.

Reactions: 2 users
i recently just saw a reddit post about nsu and how they blacklist their students if students speak out against faculty.
obviously, take it with a grain of salt, just wanted to be sure it was on your radar!:)
That sound worrisome. Professionalism is always an important thing to consider with any medical school, but this seems extreme. At Touro, nothing is perfect, but we atleast have (high level) faculty who are willing to support any feedback we have. There are also established channels for curriculum complaints and otherwise, that helps protect students.

Hey kids, current 3rd year Touro student on rotations. I was part of the 2017-2018 cohort of Master's. While we wait for the younger cohorts of Master's kids to chime into this thread, feel free to ask questions that haven't already been addressed in previous year's threads, that way I can procrastinate on studying for my board exam. The MSMHS program holds a special place in my heart. Ok, now as the grandpa of this group, I will now go take a nap.

Hey kids, current 3rd year Touro student on rotations. I was part of the 2017-2018 cohort of Master's. While we wait for the younger cohorts of Master's kids to chime into this thread, feel free to ask questions that haven't already been addressed in previous year's threads, that way I can procrastinate on studying for my board exam. The MSMHS program holds a special place in my heart. Ok, now as the grandpa of this group, I will now go take a nap.
Hi again SpaceDoctor8,
Wow, 3rd year already. It feels just like yesterday when I was bugging you about the MSMHS program and you were neck deep in your 1st year. Congrats!
-Do you have any advice to hand down in general to be successful in the program?
-Also do you have any tips for anxious students like myself that want to get a head start on studying now haha?
Thanks again for offering to answer questions.

Hi SpaceDoctor8,

Best of luck to you and your board studying!

I was wondering how many people review our application before coming to a decision? Also, do you know if a lot of students get financial aid for this program?

• Care
Do you guys know if the classes will be in person and also when the next info session might be

Do you guys know if the classes will be in person and also when the next info session might be
I haven’t heard about the next info session but during the 1st session they mentioned classes were trending towards in person. My guess is that we probably won’t officially know until it gets closer.

Reactions: 1 users
Hi again SpaceDoctor8,
Wow, 3rd year already. It feels just like yesterday when I was bugging you about the MSMHS program and you were neck deep in your 1st year. Congrats!
-Do you have any advice to hand down in general to be successful in the program?
-Also do you have any tips for anxious students like myself that want to get a head start on studying now haha?
Thanks again for offering to answer questions.
Time flies when you are buried in books XD Thanks! It's been a minute.

To be successful in the program, you have to be patient with yourself. Master's year is a long process, and you will want to compare yourself to others. Some people will get the material easily, some will take more hard work. That is ok. Everyone operates at their own pace. Use your resources- aka former Master's students. During orientation, you will have a former Master's panel where they will give you tips on classes, professors, etc. It is very helpful! do NOT buy anything. there are E-books and formers students have many Anki and flashcard decks, and packets that we can share with you that will aid you in your studying. If you have more questions, ask your professors! They have open hours and most of them are very helpful! Also, keep in mind that you will want LOR's from 1-2 of them, so it doesn't hurt to meet them anyways! Even if you don't ace their class, they want to see that you have worth ethic, initiative, and are willing to learn.

Adjust your study habits! If you study alone and that works, do that! Maybe mix in a little group studying if you find it helpful. This goes vice versa as well.

Anxious to get started on studying? Hmm...this is my subjective opinion, but I would actually say do NOT study over the summer. You will have more than enough time during Master's year to study long hours. This is true for medical school as well. However, if you were to look over resources I would maybe only look over biology BRIEFLY. A lot of the exams are based off of the professors' lectures and packets, so it is honestly easier to look those over then predict what they might test on. Otherwise, enjoy your summer (as much as you can I suppose). Stay fresh, and then start strong once the program begins. :D

Hi SpaceDoctor8,

Best of luck to you and your board studying!

I was wondering how many people review our application before coming to a decision? Also, do you know if a lot of students get financial aid for this program?
Thank you! Before deciding on your acceptance to the Master's program? Sometimes they will have a student (I have previously done this) review the application and send in their comments to Dr. Miller and Dr. Wong who are the coordinators of the Master's program. Otherwise, those are the two that review your app. There may be one or two other people who look at it, but that's about it.

In terms of financial aid, a lot of if not all of us were on federal loans. Basically maxing out unsubsidized, and then adding on whatever is left with subsidized loans. I do not believe there are specific scholarships for Master's. But if you look online, you would be surprised, there is always free money out there! I highly recommend looking for outside scholarships.

I haven’t heard about the next info session but during the 1st session they mentioned classes were trending towards in person. My guess is that we probably won’t officially know until it gets closer.
This semester is a hybrid semester for all programs. I think that they will eventually transition to in person classes in the fall IF the COVID situation improves by that time. So yes, wait and see approach. Fingers crossed.

Hey guys,

Mr. Steven Davis said it is best to submit your applications now (this month) since they are ramping up the review process starting in the next few days. This was mentioned during the Info Session held today.

Hey guys,

Mr. Steven Davis said it is best to submit your applications now (this month) since they are ramping up the review process starting in the next few days. This was mentioned during the Info Session held today.
Anyone else feel slightly discouraged by Mr. Davis’s stats he provided.

40-60% apply and of that about a third get in. If I’m doing my math right let’s say 60% apply that’s 36 people and only 12 get in? 12/60 isn’t reassuring.

40-60% apply and of that about a third get in. If I’m doing my math right let’s say 60% apply that’s 36 people and only 12 get in? 12/60 isn’t reassuring.
Yeah it seems like a small portion goes directly from MSMHS to TUCOM. If you are set in stone attending TUCOM then it should be one's ultimate goal to place at the top of the class to gain an interview and ensure they have a competitive MCAT. If you are fine with attending any other DO school then this program will still help one achieve that.

Sorry off topic/quick question. How long does it take PostBacCas to verify your application? Is it a couple of days or 2 weeks?

Hi, I actually completed the MSMHS program in 2019. Those numbers are super approximate since my class had maybe a little less than half matriculate into the next class, some were then deferred to the following year, and some didn’t choose to interview until after the masters program and took a gap year. I would actually highly recommend this program since you really get a feel for what’s to come in med school and you get to make connections/relationships with COM students and faculty. Get over a 3.0 gpa and get an interview. I would also recommend having your MCAT done and over with before the program. But you hit the ground running in the beginning so try to do well starting from fall!

Thank you so much, grandpa! (just kidding, I'm most likely older than you) Could you share your experience with living in the area (safety) and your experience with rotations? Was setup easy or did you experience any hardship getting a rotation site?

• Haha
Hi you guys,

I have a question. Can you apply to this program and still be in progress in taking the prereq. I received an email today from admissions and I am freaking out a bit.

So I emailed the admissions back regarding looking at my application one more time (I totally freaked today). I hope they email me back tomorrow. Has anyone gotten a rejection or acceptance notification thus far?

So I emailed the admissions back regarding looking at my application one more time (I totally freaked today). I hope they email me back tomorrow. Has anyone gotten a rejection or acceptance notification thus far?
They initially sent me an email saying I don’t meet the requirements, but I emailed back and they corrected it. If that’s what you mean

They initially sent me an email saying I don’t meet the requirements, but I emailed back and they corrected it. If that’s what you mean
OMG yas same thing happend to me. I'm so happy for you!!! I'm glade they corrected it. I really hope you get in ^_^.

I applied back in December and still haven’t heard anything😫not feeling so great about it at this point

I applied back in December and still haven’t heard anything😫not feeling so great about it at this point
Don't give up!!! I know how you feel. I may apply to other schools just in case and I think you should too. It's always good to have a back up you know. But don't give up. ^_^

Don't give up!!! I know how you feel. I may apply to other schools just in case and I think you should too. It's always good to have a back up you know. But don't give up. ^_^
Oh trust me I’ve already applied to a bunch, just waiting to hear back now😅thank you for your positivity though!!

Oh trust me I’ve already applied to a bunch, just waiting to hear back now😅thank you for your positivity though!!
No worries anytime. That's awesome!!! I know that applying to schools can be so nerve racking. We will get through it. We got this far right!!!

Thank you premed0516

Thank you. It may be an error on there part. Recieving an email like that was scary as heck. I hope you all are doing okay.
I also recieved an email saying I didn't meet the prereq since I'm finishing up Physics this semester. I just emailed Naisha and she put the class as In Progress!