Touro-CA MSMHS-COM 2021-2022

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
how hard is it to get around without a car while at touro? hows public transportation over there? is it safe?

Members don't see this ad.

how hard is it to get around without a car while at touro? hows public transportation over there? is it safe?
I live in Vallejo right now and I don't think there's any bus routes to Mare Island unfortunately.

However, there is the Ferry Service - and there will be a restoration of the currently suspended $1 "Hop Thru" Ferry Service between Mare Island and Vallejo via their respective ferry terminals (you can literally see them across from each other, the terminals are merely separated by the water in between). The Mare Island Ferry Terminal though is about a 10-15 minute walk from Touro's campus, although it's not that hectic because not a lot of cars pass by (you almost feel like you're in a movie) and it's pretty quiet most of the time.

Once you get to the Vallejo Ferry Terminal after the Short Hop ride from Mare Island, you cross the street and walk for a few minutes and youre at the SolTrans Vallejo Ferry Terminal, where a bunch of bus lines with various destinations are at, including around Vallejo, Napa, and San Francisco too.

Check out the approved plan that will go in effect on July 1, 2021 - including restoration of Ferry rides and schedule from Mare Island/Vallejo to San Francisco on weekdays and weekends if you ever wanna get out, relax, and explore SF.

As for safety, Mare Island in my view is very safe, as there really only a few hundred households or so on the island, and Touro itself is located in such a strategic and secure location, with picturesque views. There's many parts of Mare Island that have been "officially" closed off and have been designated as "reserved" by the federal government owing to Mare Island's former naval base past, but people still go past the cordons and signs and I see people jogging and walking on these "closed off" paths.
That being said, there may also be at times some annoying and loud illegal sideshows and car races that leave skid marks and horrible smells and pollution, but those have been decreasing in Mare Island.

Hope this info helps!
Let's hope for the best on our apps!

Reactions: 1 user
Hey guys, I applied late March and it's been a while for me and I haven't heard back. Anyone else in a similar boat?

Members don't see this ad :)
I've been reading the past forums regarding waitlists. But I was wondering has anyone else got waitlisted? Are there a lot of people that get taken off the waitlist? Touro is my top choice but waiting is sort of making me anxious. Is the waitlist organized first come first serve or is it reorganized again (I hope this makes sense)?
Sorry for all the questions I'm just a bit anxious.
The Office Reaction GIF

Do they only put people on the waitlist after all seats have been filled or they put people on the waitlist bc they dont want to deny them?

Do they only put people on the waitlist after all seats have been filled or they put people on the waitlist bc they dont want to deny them?
Not 100% sure how their waitlist works but I’m fairly certain they do not put people on the waitlist after all the seats have been filled. Someone posted back in Feb 21 that they were placed on the waitlist and I’ve seen additional acceptance post from others after that.

Reactions: 1 users
I've been reading the past forums regarding waitlists. But I was wondering has anyone else got waitlisted? Are there a lot of people that get taken off the waitlist? Touro is my top choice but waiting is sort of making me anxious. Is the waitlist organized first come first serve or is it reorganized again (I hope this makes sense)?
Sorry for all the questions I'm just a bit anxious.
The Office Reaction GIF
I am a current MSMHS student and was waitlisted and I know other people were accepted who applied after me. I think a lot of people in my class were waitlisted and then were accepted in mid July

I am a current MSMHS student and was waitlisted and I know other people were accepted who applied after me. I think a lot of people in my class were waitlisted and then were accepted in mid July
Nice!!! So there is hope!!! Thank you so much for the feedback. Also, I wish you luck in your studies ^_^

Members don't see this ad :)
@hellodoctors I was wondering how the program has been in regards to the current online format? How has the research portion of the curriculum going and have there been volunteer opportunities available?

@hellodoctors I was wondering how the program has been in regards to the current online format? How has the research portion of the curriculum going and have there been volunteer opportunities available?
In regards to online format there are definitely some pros and cons. I like how it has saved us so much time because there is way more time to study without driving to/from class. Also all of the lectures are recorded so we can rewatch lectures in 2x speed which is really helpful. The main con is zoom fatigue and the fact that we don't meet our professors/classmates in person, but it is what it is right now. They've done a good job of organizing the online format and I've learned so much this year so I don't think it impacted my ability to learn and be prepared for med school. The only thing classroom-wise that we really missed out on was anatomy lab. As far as research goes, it's pretty chill. We just have to write a paper and do a poster presentation at the end. And then for volunteer opportunities, there are a bunch that are virtual and most have been temporarily stopped bc of covid. There are a lot of vaccine clinics that we are able to volunteer at in person (flu and covid), but other than that I don't think there is much in-person volunteering at the moment. That could definitely change in the fall though because so many people are going to be vaccinated by then.

Reactions: 2 users
Is there a Facebook group or something for accepted students to talk through, other than the listserv

Is there a Facebook group or something for accepted students to talk through, other than the listserv
I think they set it up later once the deadline ends I guess and you have to show proof of your acceptance to get added.

What are the chances of classes being on campus this fall?

What are the chances of classes being on campus this fall?
The school said it's still up in the air, depending on what the governor says. Curious to see what others think as well.

Hey y'all!

I also applied late March and waiting to hear back so I feel you!! Hoping we hear back soon, sending positive vibes to you all! :)

The school said it's still up in the air, depending on what the governor says. Curious to see what others think as well.
The governor already said 2 weeks ago that they expect institutes to be open in fall. I guess they are waiting to see what happens with the infection rate once more people are vaccinated. All the community colleges in my county are doing hybrid for fall. Touro has been conducting surveys with students about fall semester. Guess they haven't decided yet.
I kind of want fall to be online and spring to be in person because of anatomy lab. There are pros and cons to both. How do other students feel about it?

The governor already said 2 weeks ago that they expect institutes to be open in fall. I guess they are waiting to see what happens with the infection rate once more people are vaccinated. All the community colleges in my county are doing hybrid for fall. Touro has been conducting surveys with students about fall semester. Guess they haven't decided yet.
I kind of want fall to be online and spring to be in person because of anatomy lab. There are pros and cons to both. How do other students feel about it?
I really like the idea of doing online classes in the fall and maybe even hybrid for the spring semester so that we could do anatomy lab in person. I know the UC system is planning on in-person classes for fall but I hope Touro lets us know soon so we can start planning on if we need to relocate or not. Does anyone know if orientation will be virtual then?

Did anyone take longer than 30 days to hear back? I received confirmation on March 11th so it has been 6 weeks now.

Congrats to everyone who has been accepted so far! :)

Did anyone take longer than 30 days to hear back? I received confirmation on March 11th so it has been 6 weeks now.

Congrats to everyone who has been accepted so far! :)
Hi, it took me about 8 weeks to hear back. I had submitted around January 19, was marked complete a week after that, and heard back around March 15th

I would enjoy a hybrid approach for both semesters. I was interested in doing the research portion of the curriculum and take advantage of in-person opportunities. COVID cases have been fairly low in California and more than 40% of the population has been vaccinated. Both UC and CSU schools have made it mandatory to be vaccinated to return to campus, I wonder if Touro will do the same.

Hi, it took me about 8 weeks to hear back. I had submitted around January 19, was marked complete a week after that, and heard back around March 15th
Did you try to reach out to them during the 8 weeks or did you just wait to hear back?

Did you try to reach out to them during the 8 weeks or did you just wait to hear back?
No, I didn't reach out to hear back because I was scared of being viewed as annoying and knew they usually started sending responses in Mid March/Early April (that's what I had read in past threads). But I do think you should reach out sometime in the next two weeks just to see the status of your application. I think the current MSMHS class is taking finals so that is probably why you haven't heard back yet. Also, they are busy with the last set of COM interviews during this time :)

No, I didn't reach out to hear back because I was scared of being viewed as annoying and knew they usually started sending responses in Mid March/Early April (that's what I had read in past threads). But I do think you should reach out sometime in the next two weeks just to see the status of your application. I think the current MSMHS class is taking finals so that is probably why you haven't heard back yet. Also, they are busy with the last set of COM interviews during this time :)
So I already emailed them once and they said no decision was released yet do you think I should reach out again or just let it be

So I already emailed them once and they said no decision was released yet do you think I should reach out again or just let it be
I think you should just let it be. They are really busy right now with Finals and this is usually the time people get off the WL for COM so they're probably busy with that right now. Give it another 2-3 weeks and you should hear back soon. When did you submit?

I think you should just let it be. They are really busy right now with Finals and this is usually the time people get off the WL for COM so they're probably busy with that right now. Give it another 2-3 weeks and you should hear back soon. When did you submit?
March 25 verified

I really like the idea of doing online classes in the fall and maybe even hybrid for the spring semester so that we could do anatomy lab in person. I know the UC system is planning on in-person classes for fall but I hope Touro lets us know soon so we can start planning on if we need to relocate or not. Does anyone know if orientation will be virtual then?
I emailed them and they said they haven't decided yet on fall status. I think the orientation will be accordingly.

I would enjoy a hybrid approach for both semesters. I was interested in doing the research portion of the curriculum and take advantage of in-person opportunities. COVID cases have been fairly low in California and more than 40% of the population has been vaccinated. Both UC and CSU schools have made it mandatory to be vaccinated to return to campus, I wonder if Touro will do the same.
Some people have been complaining about making the vaccines mandatory. We're waiting to see what decision Touro makes. My local community college system is hybrid but they haven't made vaccines mandatory.

Anybody know when people who applied in March will hear back ?
I heard that they are busy at the moment from the previous posts. I heard back in the first week of April when I applied in March ( I was waitlisted). Just be patient. I know it is hard. Stay positive.

Anybody know when people who applied in March will hear back ?
I just heard back and was accepted!!! I was verified March 11th so hopefully you will get news soon too! :)

• Love
Reactions: 5 users
I was just accepted today as well (Verified March 30th)!!!!!! Thank you for all the helpful information on this thread!! See y'all in the fall:):giggle:

• Love
Reactions: 4 users
Accepted today too! congrats to all of you and see you in the fall, looking forward to meeting you all!

• Love
Reactions: 4 users