Touro-CA MSMHS-COM 2021-2022

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Congratulations!! Can any current student confirm the Fall semester will be online?
Nothing is confirmed but it was stated at the info session by the program directors that Fall is virtual and Spring will be in person

Members don't see this ad.

Congrats!

As far as I know, no one has replied to the class thread. But I have been accepted to the Facebook group. There’s just over 20 people in the group so far. It took a few days before I was added to the group.
Thank you!!

I just wanted to get a head started on meeting you all and figuring out the vibes from everyone lol. Like don't get me wrong this year will probably be hell but I love a good meme and love making the most of things! Idk if anyone is up for a groupme but I'd be down to get to know everyone!

Members don't see this ad :)
Just curious, how many of you guys that have been accepted and plan to move to Vallejo and rent a place for this upcoming semester? I live about 3 hours away from Touro and was planning on moving to Vallejo. But now that I am looking at the tuition prices I'm not sure if I should stay at home with my parents to save money.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just curious, how many of you guys that have been accepted and plan to move to Vallejo and rent a place for this upcoming semester? I live about 3 hours away from Touro and was planning on moving to Vallejo. But now that I am looking at the tuition prices I'm not sure if I should stay at home with my parents to save money.
I have been really contemplating it too. Im from southern california and I might live in Vallejo simply because I am nervous that I won't be able to focus at home. I love my parents and family but its sometimes so hard to explain or to resist plans they have going on. So to answer your question is idk. I wanted to see how many people were planning to move up there too because if there are a lot then I would prefer to study with everyone.

Reactions: 1 user
I was planning on moving to mare island but my fiancé and I live 50 mins away and now that fall is virtual I think I’m going to find a way to make living Home work for myself

I have been really contemplating it too. Im from southern california and I might live in Vallejo simply because I am nervous that I won't be able to focus at home. I love my parents and family but its sometimes so hard to explain or to resist plans they have going on. So to answer your question is idk. I wanted to see how many people were planning to move up there too because if there are a lot then I would prefer to study with everyone.
I think I am going to move. This program seems like an investment in one's self. I have a total of 6 people of living in my house and feel like I won't be able to concentrate and perform well if I stay at home with my parents. I've also never lived on my own and saved a ton of money by commuting to my local state school. I'll probably have to live frugally but I'm fine with that

I was planning on moving to mare island but my fiancé and I live 50 mins away and now that fall is virtual I think I’m going to find a way to make living Home work for myself
Is it just you two living together? If so, then I feel like you'll be fine living 50 minutes away. If you ever need to commute to Vallejo for volunteering or something it won't be that bad!

I think I am going to move. This program seems like an investment in one's self. I have a total of 6 people of living in my house and feel like I won't be able to concentrate and perform well if I stay at home with my parents. I've also never lived on my own and saved a ton of money by commuting to my local state school. I'll probably have to live frugally but I'm fine with that
I have lived on my own in a different state for school. I understand where you are coming from with having a lot of distractions at home. I will say this if you are a type of person that is driven and motivated on your own... you will do fine living on your own. However if not...It would be best to room with others in the program so that you and your roommates can motivate each other to study. Make sure to do background checks and get to know them before moving in with anyone (rather be safe then sorry-ain't no body got time to deal with unnecessary things while in this program-be safe). Also, if you have trouble financially food stamps and other aide are available by the state as well. This can be helpful if you are having hard time financially ( I have used this resource and it helped a lot. The rent was really high in the area I was living and they were not paying us enough at the job i was working at at that time). The struggle is real. I know rent can be high in the bay area so just be aware. Ask lots of questions about resources from other students. They may have other tips that I have not provided here on living on your own.

Commuting is ok but it can take a lot of your time that you can be using to study. Unless you're listening to lectures on your way to and from school. But yeah sorry for the bad grammar. And I hope this helps.

I have lived on my own in a different state for school. I understand where you are coming from with having a lot of distractions at home. I will say this if you are a type of person that is driven and motivated on your own... you will do fine living on your own. However if not...It would be best to room with others in the program so that you and your roommates can motivate each other to study. Make sure to do background checks and get to know them before moving in with anyone (rather be safe then sorry-ain't no body got time to deal with unnecessary things while in this program-be safe). Also, if you have trouble financially food stamps and other aide are available by the state as well. This can be helpful if you are having hard time financially ( I have used this resource and it helped a lot. The rent was really high in the area I was living and they were not paying us enough at the job i was working at at that time). The struggle is real. I know rent can be high in the bay area so just be aware. Ask lots of questions about resources from other students. They may have other tips that I have not provided here on living on your own.

Commuting is ok but it can take a lot of your time that you can be using to study. Unless you're listening to lectures on your way to and from school. But yeah sorry for the bad grammar. And I hope this helps.
*Also in my opinion traffic has gotten a lot worse (ex. instead of an hour drive it can be two hours at times). I live an hour away from vallejo. It's mainly due to a lot of people in the bay area moving to surrounding counties because of the expensive rent. But you will pretty much learn as you go the best times to leave as you commute to and from school. (this is just my two cents). ^_^

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi everyone,

MSMHS Class of 2021 here and was recently accepted into TUCOM Class of 2025. If anyone has any questions I would be more than happy to answer them here or directly.

Reactions: 1 users
Hi everyone,

MSMHS Class of 2021 here and was recently accepted into TUCOM Class of 2025. If anyone has any questions I would be more than happy to answer them here or directly.
Congrats on your acceptance! I was wondering how many students in your MSMSH class were accepted into the upcoming COM class or on accept-hold?

Congrats on your acceptance! I was wondering how many students in your MSMSH class were accepted into the upcoming COM class or on accept-hold?
Thank you! Currently, I believe that we have about 20 students from the MSMHS program that have been accepted into COM. Note that not all MSMHS students applied this year.

Hi everyone,

Hi! Congratulations on your acceptance!!
Do you mind sharing your master's GPA and MCAT?
Do you know what were the average GPA and MCAT for those accepted into COM from the MSMH program?

Hi! Congratulations on your acceptance!!
Do you mind sharing your master's GPA and MCAT?
Do you know what were the average GPA and MCAT for those accepted into COM from the MSMH program?
Hi! Thank you!

MSMHS GPA: 3.842
MCAT: 500

Unfortunately, I do not know the average GPA and MCAT for those accepted into COM. However, I do know that statistics are not everything. A strong GPA will help your admissions process but being an active member in the Touro community is equally as important.

• Love
Reactions: 2 users
Hi! Thank you!

Unfortunately, I do not know the average GPA and MCAT for those accepted into COM. However, I do know that statistics are not everything. A strong GPA will help your admissions process but being an active member in the Touro community is equally as important.
Thank you so much for sharing your amazing stats!!!
You did great on the program!
Here are a few more questions for you:
1) What is your advice for getting good grades?
2) How did you study for classes?
3) How did a typical day of classes and studying look like for you?
4) What kind of activities did you join at Touro?
5) What's your advice to be involved in the Touro community while studying remotely?
Again, congratulations on being accepted into COM. I am sure you are going to be an amazing physician!!

Hi! Thank you!

That’s awesome, congrats! You did amazing in MSMHS from the looks of it, so well-deserved! I would also like to hear your answers to @dL2021 ’s questions above, particularly about your study methods for MS courses, how you found success in the way you allocated time for academics and extracurriculars, and what community involvement you recommend? Also, when during the program did you apply? I was thinking sending by Dec this year.

Last edited:
5) What's your advice to be involved in the Touro community while studying remotely?
Again, congratulations on being accepted into COM. I am sure you are going to be an amazing physician!!

Thank you!

1. Getting good grades is unfortunately a mix of not only studying well, but taking exams well. Being able to think about questions in a certain way to help eliminate answer choices will without a doubt improve your grades. However, this cannot be done without a solid foundation in the material that comes from studying well. This is a bit of a tricky question. Hopefully my next response will help more.

2. I'm sure many of you have heard Anki. If not, I highly suggest you try to start becoming familiar with it. It's a bit odd at first, but after using it for a while it's actually a pretty straightforward tool. I did about 10,000 Anki cards by the end of the program. Anki decks will be provided to you by previous MS students and we have workshops to help teach you how to use it if you are not familiar. Other than Anki, I self studied quite a bit and had at least 2 passes on each lecture before exams. The big thing for me is that I have to understand the BIG picture. Memorizing little details aren't useful if you don't understand why things are the way they are. Of course, some things will have to just be brute memorization. Later into the program, I started doing study groups. A few classmates and I would go over lectures and tried to teach each other the material. This however takes a while so it might be best to group study more difficult topics and leave simple topics to self study. It's a good way to tell if you understand the material or not. When it really comes down to it, everyone has their own study methods. Some people love Anki, some people hate it. You've all probably heard this before but I truly think the key to success for each individual is different so it is important that you find out what works best for YOU.

3. Classes usually begin around 9/10AM and end around 3/4/5PM. This schedule may vary as I think it changes year to year. I usually wake up like an hour before class and do my Anki reviews before class. After classes I would always take about an hour or two break then study for the rest of the night. Personally, I did always not study every day. You will have your entire semester schedule so you can plan out your studying. Weekends I always took either a half or full day off from studying to to my hobbies. I would estimate I studied about an average of 4 hours every day, doubling or tripling that before exams.

4. I joined a club called Project H.A.P.P.Y. where we taught families about pediatric health. I also joined trained to be a diabetes lifestyle coach and narcan trained through drug safe solano. There are a lot of things to do at Touro other than clubs. A lot of time faculty will be giving talks and it's really cool to listen in and ask questions. Asking questions is a very very important skill!

5. Just as before, there's a lot of opportunities to stay involved. There are weekly meetings for clubs, events, talks that you will be notified about via email. There is always something going on. Despite being virtual, I feel that I was still really be able to be a part of the Touro community.

I hope these help. I apologize for going on a bit or a rant. Let me know if you have any other questions or if I can clarify anything.

Reactions: 5 users
That’s awesome, congrats! You did amazing in MSMHS from the looks of it, so well-deserved! I would also like to hear your answers to @dL2021 ’s questions above, particularly about your study methods for MS courses, how you found success in the way you allocated time for academics and extracurriculars, and what community involvement you recommend? Also, when during the program did you apply? I was thinking sending by Dec this year.
I hope my answer above helped. I can always go into more details about specific things if you like. The answer to your questions is a bit tricky as every student has their own path. The program will help guide you through this process. Personally, I did not submit my application until March 14 which i believe was a day before closing of the application. Someone correct me if I am wrong. Regardless, as a MS student you will be in a different cohort of applicants so timing is not that much of an issue. You can definitely send your application in Dec, but know that it most likely will not have an impact as all MS students interview together in May unless you get the early interview. Hope this helps.

Thank you!

1. Getting good grades is unfortunately a mix of not only studying well, but taking exams well. Being able to think about questions in a certain way to help eliminate answer choices will without a doubt improve your grades. However, this cannot be done without a solid foundation in the material that comes from studying well. This is a bit of a tricky question. Hopefully my next response will help more.

2. I'm sure many of you have heard Anki. If not, I highly suggest you try to start becoming familiar with it. It's a bit odd at first, but after using it for a while it's actually a pretty straightforward tool. I did about 10,000 Anki cards by the end of the program. Anki decks will be provided to you by previous MS students and we have workshops to help teach you how to use it if you are not familiar. Other than Anki, I self studied quite a bit and had at least 2 passes on each lecture before exams. The big thing for me is that I have to understand the BIG picture. Memorizing little details aren't useful if you don't understand why things are the way they are. Of course, some things will have to just be brute memorization. Later into the program, I started doing study groups. A few classmates and I would go over lectures and tried to teach each other the material. This however takes a while so it might be best to group study more difficult topics and leave simple topics to self study. It's a good way to tell if you understand the material or not. When it really comes down to it, everyone has their own study methods. Some people love Anki, some people hate it. You've all probably heard this before but I truly think the key to success for each individual is different so it is important that you find out what works best for YOU.

3. Classes usually begin around 9/10AM and end around 3/4/5PM. This schedule may vary as I think it changes year to year. I usually wake up like an hour before class and do my Anki reviews before class. After classes I would always take about an hour or two break then study for the rest of the night. Personally, I did always not study every day. You will have your entire semester schedule so you can plan out your studying. Weekends I always took either a half or full day off from studying to to my hobbies. I would estimate I studied about an average of 4 hours every day, doubling or tripling that before exams.

4. I joined a club called Project H.A.P.P.Y. where we taught families about pediatric health. I also joined trained to be a diabetes lifestyle coach and narcan trained through drug safe solano. There are a lot of things to do at Touro other than clubs. A lot of time faculty will be giving talks and it's really cool to listen in and ask questions. Asking questions is a very very important skill!

5. Just as before, there's a lot of opportunities to stay involved. There are weekly meetings for clubs, events, talks that you will be notified about via email. There is always something going on. Despite being virtual, I feel that I was still really be able to be a part of the Touro community.

I hope these help. I apologize for going on a bit or a rant. Let me know if you have any other questions or if I can clarify anything.
Thank you so much for taking your time to write this up. Your routine aligns with my goals for this years’ MS, so I will definitely be taking your suggestions into consideration. If you don’t mind, would you care to PM me your personal Anki packs? You don’t have to organize them in any way; whatever is more convenient for you works. Again, congrats on crushing the MS and the well-deserved OMS title!

Is anyone still waiting to hear back? I still haven't received any admission updates 😮😲

Is anyone still waiting to hear back? I still haven't received any admission updates 😮😲
I haven't heard back either. I turned in my LOI, updated my final grades, and had a professor submit a recommendation. Hopefully we will hear back soon. I'm tired of waiting but we have no choice :cryi:. But I hope we hear from them soon.

I haven't heard back either. I turned in my LOI, updated my final grades, and had a professor submit a recommendation. Hopefully we will hear back soon. I'm tired of waiting but we have no choice :cryi:. But I hope we hear from them soon.
The Facebook group doesn’t even have 30 students. I’m guessing there will be quite a few acceptances coming soon.

The Facebook group doesn’t even have 30 students. I’m guessing there will be quite a few acceptances coming soon.
Oh my gosh really. Definitely probably in late June or early July. I also noticed that the deadline is June 30th did they extend it again? I thought it was June 1st...?

Yeahh I hope good news comes soon in the next few days! 😄

Yeahh I saw theres only I think 28 or 29. So 36 or 35 seats more to fill! Lets keep on being hopeful! 😄

Oh my gosh really. Definitely probably in late June or early July. I also noticed that the deadline is June 30th did they extend it again? I thought it was June 1st...?
You know I saw that too but I think that is from last year and the website hasn't been updated yet

The school year officially ended last week so I'm pretty sure we'll see a lot of acceptances coming.

Hi y'all, I'm a late applicant due to some recent personal changes. Just wanted to check in to get a sense of the timeline from application submission to receiving an admission decision.

I submitted the app 6/1 and was verified today 6/9. Should I expect an email confirming TUC's receipt of my application soon? Seems like there have been pretty prompt admissions decisions as we get later in the cycle...

Hi y'all, I'm a late applicant due to some recent personal changes. Just wanted to check in to get a sense of the timeline from application submission to receiving an admission decision.

I submitted the app 6/1 and was verified today 6/9. Should I expect an email confirming TUC's receipt of my application soon? Seems like there have been pretty prompt admissions decisions as we get later in the cycle...
I think so but I'm not sure its been a while. But really it should take 30 days for them to get back to you regarding a decision once verified. In looking back at other forums from previous years it seems that many acceptances may come in July. Idk if we will hear anything in June.

Does anyone know when the next Info Session is? It hasn't already happened yet, right? 😲

Looks like they just sent an email, the next Info Session will be this Wednesday June 16th at 12pm PDT. I believe it will be an open Q&A Session and the Directors and faculty members will be there. 😊

For waitlisted applicants: The info session- The reason why were were waitlisted is because there were one or more things that were of concern or red flags. It seems like they are not likely to pull from the waitlist this year. But he also mentioned that waitlisted applicants will be notified of acceptance on the second week of July....and first week of August will be the last week for possible acceptances... So idk. I feel a bit discouraged about this idk about how you all feel.

For waitlisted applicants: The info session- The reason why were were waitlisted is because there were one or more things that were of concern or red flags. It seems like they are not likely to pull from the waitlist this year. But he also mentioned that waitlisted applicants will be notified of acceptance on the second week of July....and first week of August will be the last week for possible acceptances... So idk. I feel a bit discouraged about this idk about how you all feel.
Hi! I listened to the info session as well and didn't get this impression from what they said about waitlisted applicants. It sounds like they're just waiting to see if there are people who are a better fit for the program/have fewer "red flags" after the application deadline is up, then they'll start drawing from the waitlist. I think one of the main points of what they were saying is to balance optimism and realism, so consider other options realistically but also know that they're still working on filling all of their seats and waiting to draw from the waitlist until they have a complete picture of their applicant pool. Try not to get too discouraged-- as cliche as it sounds, it will all work out eventually :)

Hi! I listened to the info session as well and didn't get this impression from what they said about waitlisted applicants. It sounds like they're just waiting to see if there are people who are a better fit for the program/have fewer "red flags" after the application deadline is up, then they'll start drawing from the waitlist. I think one of the main points of what they were saying is to balance optimism and realism, so consider other options realistically but also know that they're still working on filling all of their seats and waiting to draw from the waitlist until they have a complete picture of their applicant pool. Try not to get too discouraged-- as cliche as it sounds, it will all work out eventually :)
Thank you so for sharing your perspective. ^_^

I'm sorry everyone. I know this question has been asked already. Does MSMHS provide statistics on matriculation of its' masters programs students to medical school. I feel like when we ask this question they seem to dance around it and do not give us an official number which makes me a bit worried since other programs give exact numbers of 95% or 85%. Does anyone know and where do I find this information?

I'm sorry everyone. I know this question has been asked already. Does MSMHS provide statistics on matriculation of its' masters programs students to medical school. I feel like when we ask this question they seem to dance around it and do not give us an official number which makes me a bit worried since other programs give exact numbers of 95% or 85%. Does anyone know and where do I find this information?
I read in the previous forums that there were 30ish students out of the 60 who matriculated. Not including those that waited. So is it 50%??? that seems pretty low..no?

I read in the previous forums that there were 30ish students out of the 60 who matriculated. Not including those that waited. So is it 50%??? that seems pretty low..no?
I don’t think they provide those statistics. I agree that it’s frustrating that they don’t track and provide that info. However, the point I keep hearing is that not everyone applies right away after completing the program. So that 30 number you heard could be 30/40, 30/35, etc. Speaking for myself, I plan on taking a gap year since I haven’t taken the MCAT. So I would be one of those outliners I heard about. Although they don’t provide matriculation information, I do feel confident this program will lead me to my goal…as long as I take care of business on my end. I’ve spoken to a couple prior students and haven’t heard any red flags. Also, I figure, there would be multiple negative reviews on here or other sites if the program has a low success rate.

Hi guys, this may be a stupid question, but do we need to register for our classes or does that happen automatically since everyone is taking the same class?

Hi guys, this may be a stupid question, but do we need to register for our classes or does that happen automatically since everyone is taking the same class?
It's automatic. If you go to your touroone account and click under academics then click concise schedule, you should be able to see your schedule for the semester.