TOUROCOM - New York Discussion thread 2008-2009

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Just booked my flight and interviewing Tuesday 11/18. Anyone interviewing then? I'm excited about Touro-Harlem cuz my boyfriend is in NYC and if I ever leave Chicago, it would be for NYC. I'll be out and about the city with my boyfriend for the weekend too so it'll be a great way to relax and get to know the area better before the interview!

Members don't see this ad.

If you don't hear anything today or tomorrow, I would assume it is because of all the Jewish holidays that the school has been closed for. I believe it is Touro's policy that the faculty is not to work those days, so there's a good chance they may be a little delayed and in letting you know. Good luck and I hope you hear good things when you do find out!

Thanks Colbert! holding breath, crossing fingers!

They are suppose to inform us of the decision today. Spoke to a rep on the phone yesterday. The verdict is going to be via email. So be on the look out for those that interviewed this month.

Members don't see this ad :)
Just booked my flight and interviewing Tuesday 11/18. Anyone interviewing then? I'm excited about Touro-Harlem cuz my boyfriend is in NYC and if I ever leave Chicago, it would be for NYC. I'll be out and about the city with my boyfriend for the weekend too so it'll be a great way to relax and get to know the area better before the interview!

Congrats! NYC is a fun place to be . Always something to do:bars, clubs, theaters, shopping. People here only stay at home when they are broke.:laugh:
However, it CAN be overwhelming if you're not from a big city. People get too distracted that their grades begin to suffer. There is a reason why DO schools in the middle-of-nowhere tend to produce high COMLEX score from their students. Chicago and NYC are both big cities so I think you should to able to handle work and play.

I interviewed earlier this month. You can pm me if you have any questions.

I'm in! Now I need 2 grand!!lol

Congrats! NYC is a fun place to be . Always something to do:bars, clubs, theaters, shopping. People here only stay at home when they are broke.:laugh:
However, it CAN be overwhelming if you're not from a big city. People get too distracted that their grades begin to suffer. There is a reason why DO schools in the middle-of-nowhere tend to produce high COMLEX score from their students. Chicago and NYC are both big cities so I think you should to able to handle work and play.

I interviewed earlier this month. You can pm me if you have any questions.

Congrats andexterouss!!! That is awesome!!! I found out that I got accepted into CCOM just minutes ago so I'm definitely on cloud 9, as I am sure you are!!! Well thank you very much for offering to answer some questions before the interview. When it gets closer I most likely will ask you to tell about the general vibe of the school and interview. Congrats again!!!

Congrats on the acceptances guys! I'm in the "high" wait list. Looks like back to holding my breath! I would assume that people aren't pulled off before interview season ends in April, does anyone know?

Congrats on the acceptances guys! I'm in the "high" wait list. Looks like back to holding my breath! I would assume that people aren't pulled off before interview season ends in April, does anyone know?
I think the list moves faster than any other school.I mean not everyone has 2 grand to cough out. Sit tight and wait for it to move starting next month.

Congrats andexterouss!!! That is awesome!!! I found out that I got accepted into CCOM just minutes ago so I'm definitely on cloud 9, as I am sure you are!!! Well thank you very much for offering to answer some questions before the interview. When it gets closer I most likely will ask you to tell about the general vibe of the school and interview. Congrats again!!!
Thanks and congrats on CCOM!!

hey, this may not technically be the right place to post this, but TOURO-NY will be my first interview, so I will try to make it related. I am just looking for your opinions here, as I have no idea if this issue is even of any consequence:

So legally, my first name is Barthalemuel (changed for privacy reasons) but my whole life I have been called Roger (again, just a representative name), as it is my middle name. Of course, on applications I write that my name is Barthalemuel, but I am 99% sure that I am referred to as Roger in my LOR's. I am interviewing at Touro-NY on the 29th, and my questions to you are:

1) Do you think I should email Obed or Issa to give them a heads up of the situation so that there is no confusion during my application's review?

2) Would it be appropriate to ask the school ahead of time (and other schools) if they could call me Roger at my interview? I just plain don't feel comfortable being addressed as Barthalemuel... I mean, would you? I don't want to introduce myself as Roger to everyone only to be called Barthalemuel later. This always causes problems.

Or do you think I should just forget about it, as they will probably figure it out.
Any advice will be much appreciated!

P.S. khb--check your pm's

You may want to shoot Obed a note explaining why your LOR's are referring to Roger and not Barthalemuel. As for interview day, just let them know you go by Roger, it won't be a big deal. Good luck

I think the list moves faster than any other school.I mean not everyone has 2 grand to cough out. Sit tight and wait for it to move starting next month.
Thanks!

You may want to shoot Obed a note explaining why your LOR's are referring to Roger and not Barthalemuel. As for interview day, just let them know you go by Roger, it won't be a big deal. Good luck

Thank you. Yea, I know it's not that big of a deal anyway, I just wanted some opinions. I appreciate the feedback.
Also, congratulations to all of those who recently got accepted. Hopefully I can add my name in ~2.5 weeks. Anyone else interviewing this Wed, the 29th?

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi all,

Just received my secondary last Thursday. I'd like to know where on the secondary app do I indicate how my LORs will be sent.

Did you guys/gals use your personal statement for your AACOMAS app as the personal statement for TouroCOM's secondary app? Thanks!

So I am working on this secondary now and I got some questions.

How similar can my AACOMAS PS and touro's PS be?

For letters of rec, I have a committee letter that is a composite letter of 6 professors and a letter from an osteopathic physician I shadowed. What should I put in the three spaces?

how long does it take to get a secondary (if chosen) once your primary is sent to the school. My primary was just sent on 10/29/08. When should I hear back from them?

Thanks

So I am working on this secondary now and I got some questions.

How similar can my AACOMAS PS and touro's PS be?

For letters of rec, I have a committee letter that is a composite letter of 6 professors and a letter from an osteopathic physician I shadowed. What should I put in the three spaces?

Just list the two letters that you have. You might want to add that you have a committee letter instead of a normal LOR. As for your own essay, look at page one of this thread to get some ideas upon it.
Gold

Last edited:
how long does it take to get a secondary (if chosen) once your primary is sent to the school. My primary was just sent on 10/29/08. When should I hear back from them?

Thanks

For me last year, it took about three to four weeks. I believe the minimum cutoff is an MCAT of 24 and a GPA of 3. Good luck

Does anyone have any idea about how many people actually get in comparison to how many people they interview?

Hello everyone. I am from the northern NYC suburbs, and will have an easy 45 minute drive to the Touro-NY interview tomorrow. (The way I go rarely has much traffic, even during rush hour :D.) The interview invitation included a list of local parking garages, seemingly at reasonable rates (by Manhattan standards). However, no phone numbers were listed.

For those from the city itself, or current students, do you know if the suggested 2 parking garages (behind the Apollo Theater, near the State building) on 126th St accept credit cards? Also, are those actually one and the same garage? The invitation seemed to suggest that. I've also heard that it's actually across the street from the school on 125th St, even though the address is 126th. Any advice is appreciated.

Thanks.

Hello everyone. I am from the northern NYC suburbs, and will have an easy 45 minute drive to the Touro-NY interview tomorrow. (The way I go rarely has much traffic, even during rush hour :D.) The interview invitation included a list of local parking garages, seemingly at reasonable rates (by Manhattan standards). However, no phone numbers were listed.

For those from the city itself, or current students, do you know if the suggested 2 parking garages (behind the Apollo Theater, near the State building) on 126th St accept credit cards? Also, are those actually one and the same garage? The invitation seemed to suggest that. I've also heard that it's actually across the street from the school on 125th St, even though the address is 126th. Any advice is appreciated.

Thanks.
hey freethinker.
not sure about the exact location of the garage, but most NYC parking places accept credit cards. you can always call them ahead of time. here's a link to garages & #s:
http://www.citidex.com/6046.htm
good luck!

Just got my secondary today! It's freakin' awesome! NY is definitely a place I'd like to go... The only problem is that the attachment Obed sent me isn't working....I guess I'll shoot him an e-mail.

I'm going on December 2! Anyone else?

S.

hey guys,
out of those of you who interviewed... did anyone interview with Dr. Radjieski? I really don't know what to make of her... she grilled me at first but then was sorta nice... :confused: I am freaking out about the interview... just wonna know already if i got in or not...
Good luck to all of you :)))
hbtw here are some questions that they asked me... pretty general i would say...
1. What does DO mean to you?
2. Touro's mission is to extend health care to underprivileged and under served communities, how do you feel about this? Would you get involved? ( Or something like this)
3. Have you ever encountered an emotional, personal, academic challenge and how did you overcome it?
4. Where do you see yourself after you graduate?
5. Why Tourocom?
6. We met some kids there, who said that last year they asked scenarios ... like a kid broke his leg, his family doesn't have insurance. Would you treat him, and what would you suggest to his family?

GRRR my DO letter is delayed apparently so they can't schedule my interview. What a stupid requirement.

YAHH!!!! I submitted my secondary last week and got an interview invite yesterday.

The dates I got are 2,3,9,10th, however I think I am going the 9th.

Anyone know of any cheap flights from Southern California (particularly Long Beach or John Wayne Airport) to La Guardia.

Also what hotels are you guys staying at? I am thinking of bringing a friend along just to spend an extra day in New York for sight seeing.

Crap... I looked at several travel websites and the cheapest package I could find was 600 bucks total including hotel. arg... =/

Last edited:
GRRR my DO letter is delayed apparently so they can't schedule my interview. What a stupid requirement.

ask them if they would accept a fax directly from the DO, to expedite the process somewhat... the earlier you get the interview the better

ask them if they would accept a fax directly from the DO, to expedite the process somewhat... the earlier you get the interview the better

I went and saw the DO in person on friday and he swore that it was sent out. No schools have recieved it however. I live in NY so touro should have gotten it really quick.

Asking him to fax it might not be a bad idea though, especially if I can get him to do it right in front of me. At the very least I'd want it done for erie, and touro.

Hmmm...

You know what, you're a very smart guy. I never even thought about faxing it. Thanks!

Last edited:
hey guys,
out of those of you who interviewed... did anyone interview with Dr. Radjieski? I really don't know what to make of her... she grilled me at first but then was sorta nice... :confused: I am freaking out about the interview... just wonna know already if i got in or not...
Good luck to all of you :)))
hbtw here are some questions that they asked me... pretty general i would say...
1. What does DO mean to you?
2. Touro's mission is to extend health care to underprivileged and under served communities, how do you feel about this? Would you get involved? ( Or something like this)
3. Have you ever encountered an emotional, personal, academic challenge and how did you overcome it?
4. Where do you see yourself after you graduate?
5. Why Tourocom?
6. We met some kids there, who said that last year they asked scenarios ... like a kid broke his leg, his family doesn't have insurance. Would you treat him, and what would you suggest to his family?

Damnit, I hope I get asked those questions on my interviews (not just Touro).

Damnit, I hope I get asked those questions on my interviews (not just Touro).

i agree the guestions were easy, but the problem was that no matter what you said it felt like she was not satisfied w/ the answer... and it wasn't just with me... plus she was kinda stressing that i have a more solid MD backround rather than DO... but in the end she was like oh its great to have students like you... you are an immigrant yourself plus you are involved with the immigrant community and can bring new perspectives to the medical field...

I went and saw the DO in person on friday and he swore that it was sent out. No schools have recieved it however. I live in NY so touro should have gotten it really quick.

Asking him to fax it might not be a bad idea though, especially if I can get him to do it right in front of me. At the very least I'd want it done for erie, and touro.

Hmmm...

You know what, you're a very smart guy. I never even thought about faxing it. Thanks!

if they not gonna let you fax it ... you can also ask to bring it over yourself... get the DO to give the letter to you ( so long as it is sealed and signed on the back) and bring it over yourself... i sent out all of my grad school letters this way just to have them in the same envelope to make sure that they get them all at the same time with no delays... talk to Obed he seems like a really nice guy...

if they not gonna let you fax it ... you can also ask to bring it over yourself... get the DO to give the letter to you ( so long as it is sealed and signed on the back) and bring it over yourself... i sent out all of my grad school letters this way just to have them in the same envelope to make sure that they get them all at the same time with no delays... talk to Obed he seems like a really nice guy...

He didn't pick up, I left him a voicemail. I'll wait to see what happens now.

He didn't pick up, I left him a voicemail. I'll wait to see what happens now.

call Isa as well, and if he doesn't pick up press zero to get to addmissions office they might me able to help...

i spoke to a rep yest... whoever interviewed last week, we should know the decision by fri:eek:

I interview the 3rdddddd

anyone joininnnn??? anybody know if this is too late to get an acceptance, tourcom is def a top 3 choice

IS there class full already? Is everyone just interviewing for alternate spots?

call Isa as well, and if he doesn't pick up press zero to get to addmissions office they might me able to help...

I feel that he is lazy. It took forever to schedule an interview with him. I called him and left a voice mail. Then, send him an e-mail with no response for a day. So, I decided to call him at 5am at pacific time. I called 6 times until he picked up the phone, then he said "Can you send me an e-mail? It will be easier for me to find your name." :mad:
I hope admission people won't represent a whole school. Feel like that they need to make the 200 dollars secondary fees worth of recruiting people who really wants to come!!!
How's your interview, feel so slack back as well:sleep:?????

I feel that he is lazy. It took forever to schedule an interview with him. I called him and left a voice mail. Then, send him an e-mail with no response for a day. So, I decided to call him at 5am at pacific time. I called 6 times until he picked up the phone, then he said "Can you send me an e-mail? It will be easier for me to find your name." :mad:
I hope admission people won't represent a whole school. Feel like that they need to make the 200 dollars secondary fees worth of recruiting people who really wants to come!!!
How's your interview, feel so slack back as well:sleep:?????

hmmm... he wasn't like that with me... called me monday to scheduale an interview for wed... i told him i would have to call him back, b/c i had to move some things around with my scheduale... called him back and left a msg when everything was arranged... he responded w/in an hour...
quite honestly, I would have to say that touro is one of the easiest schools to get in contact w/ and admissions ppl are much nicer than in many other schools (... but then again it all depends on your personal experience... maybe i got lucky:confused:)
However, most of the professors at the school that we've met were really nice, and so were the students...

I interview the 3rdddddd

anyone joininnnn??? anybody know if this is too late to get an acceptance, tourcom is def a top 3 choice

No, it's def not to late... they still have spots...otherwise they would stop interviewing since it is rolling admission

I confirmed my date for the 9th of december. Anyone else going?

Also, is tourocom-ny even accredited yet? I was reading the website and I believe the first class started in 2007 with 135 students. I guess in 2011 will be the first class to become accredited.

BTW... how long after the interview do you know you got accepted? And then how much longer till the last day of putting down a deposit?

Last edited:
I confirmed my date for the 9th of december. Anyone else going?

Also, is tourocom-ny even accredited yet? I was reading the website and I believe the first class started in 2007 with 135 students. I guess in 2011 will be the first class to become accredited.

BTW... how long after the interview do you know you got accepted? And then how much longer till the last day of putting down a deposit?

They have prelim accreditation until their first class graduates. The same goes for every other new school out there (e.g. RVU).

They tell you two weeks after interviewing yes/no/waitlist and if yes, you have two weeks to put down the $2,000 deposit. So basically you have a month post-interview to decide if you love the school and want to go there.

anyone who interviewed the 28th of oct hear anything yet?

Hey guys,

In the earlier pages people were talking about using the same essay as the personal statement or a modified version. Is this still the consensus? Did any accepted students do this?

Thanks in advance.

Hey guys,

In the earlier pages people were talking about using the same essay as the personal statement or a modified version. Is this still the consensus? Did any accepted students do this?

Thanks in advance.

I did it. I think I added a paragraph about osteopathic medicine. Just found out i was accepted today.

I don't believe you have to give Touro a DO letter to get an interview invite. I don't have a DO letter and my invite came from them last week.

soo how is the interview at this school? is it intense or laid back? i'm interviewing next tuesday I believe and am curious as to what to expect. thanksss and congrats to all that have been accepted, that is so exciting!

are you fellow applicants typing in the general info on the secondary app. I'm having trouble with the formatting when I try this and was thinking of neatly printing most of the secondary (biographical info etc) and sending typed essays attached. Is this acceptable?

I personally converted it to a PDF using Acrobat Pro and then used the Typewriter function within Acrobat to enter in all of the data. (This worked for me only because my school has a computer lab in which all of the computers are equipped with Acrobat. Buying Acrobat just for something like this is too expensive to be worth it, IMHO.) Somebody else I know simply wrote in all of the info by hand and then stapled a printed essay to the application.

Status
Not open for further replies.