-
CycleTrack and SDN are teaming up to make medical school admissions more transparent and accessible! Read the announcement to learn how we’re supporting the future of CycleTrack’s free application-tracking tools .
You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
TOUROCOM - New York Discussion thread 2008-2009
Started by mshheaddoc
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
- Status
- Not open for further replies.
The short Friday night answer is Yes, Yes & Yes (they screen before sending a secondary) to your questions. Good Luck
Gold
So it's not too late? And it is worth it? Sorry to ask again.. just want to make sure..
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
So it's not too late? And it is worth it? Sorry to ask again.. just want to make sure..
It's not too late...it's only worth it if you wanna go to school there...get to it...times a wastin'
i went to touro today...is the entrance the one with the blue doors or is there another way in? I didn't know touro had a security guard outside...I could be mistaken...either way its seems like fun 🙂
The main entrance with the nice pretty sign and glass doors etc is on 124th street. If you come in on 125th, that is the back door. There is security at both entrances.
Gold
So it's not too late? And it is worth it? Sorry to ask again.. just want to make sure..
Some of my friends got in to the school in March. If you got a secondary back and are seriously interested in going, send it back ASAP. I think way back when, I sent mine FEDEX since the post office has lost a few important things over the years. If they interview you, they are serious about having you come to the school.
Good Luck
Gold
I got an email...Have you heard back yet?
Yea, I was also placed on the high waitlist. This is also my top choice. Hope we both get in!!
hey guys i interviewed 01/20 and got my acceptance last week 02/04!! so i finally decided to join sdn haha. gluck to the rest of you.
haha mehta, ive been avoiding sdn because it always makes me nervous but now that i got into nycom, ive been writing constantly lol. im removing myself from the interview at touro on the 25th. (NYCOM would be closer to me since i live in queens and i wouldnt have to pay a dumb toll to go to the bronx... and taking the subway/bus from queens would just not make me happy lol)
Yea, I was also placed on the high waitlist. This is also my top choice. Hope we both get in!!
As an FYI all the folks got in from the high wait list last year
Gold
hey guys i interviewed 01/20 and got my acceptance last week 02/04!! so i finally decided to join sdn haha. gluck to the rest of you.
congrats mehta! I interviewed the same day. I was the geezer (I'll be 35 when school starts). have you received some sort of info packet from Obed. I haven't gotten mine yet.
good luck to the waitlisters and hang in there. I was waitlisted somewhere else last year but it sounds like the list moves much more here. Hope to be sitting in class with you in a few months
Has anyone from the 1/28 interview group heard back yet?? It's about to be two weeks .. =o
just got a call from the dean a few minutes ago.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
ACCEPTED!
was hattenin' waz up got patron in my cup...was hattenin' waz up....I'm gonna be a DOCTOR.
got a call from the dean ... I have also been accepted.😀
I'm interviewing on 02/24 but will be in NY by Sunday. I was gonna try to go there on Monday morning.. to see how long it typically takes from my hotel and make sure I know where I'm going etc.. does anyone know if they will actually let me into the building?
I'm interviewing on 02/24 but will be in NY by Sunday. I was gonna try to go there on Monday morning.. to see how long it typically takes from my hotel and make sure I know where I'm going etc.. does anyone know if they will actually let me into the building?
Yeah definitely. I actually went on a sunday to check it out and the guard actually took the time to give me an entire tour of the facilities! Im sure you'll be more than fine going on a monday
Hello all, I have a few random questions about tourocom if any current students can help shed some light on this randomness.
Does tourocom have the same professors for the entire class or do certain classes have random clinicians come and lecture and you hardly see them again?
Are the professors helpful in learning the material or do you have to learn the material yourself because the students and professors have no idea what they are saying or cant understand them? Are the professors approachable if you need help because from as far as I know tourocom does not have a tutoring service yet. Does tourocom have any other student resources in terms of learning the material? Do they reviews before exams?
Thanks in advance!
I know tourocom is a new school but they have or plan to have student TAs?
Does tourcom have a print quota?
Does tourocom have the same professors for the entire class or do certain classes have random clinicians come and lecture and you hardly see them again?
Are the professors helpful in learning the material or do you have to learn the material yourself because the students and professors have no idea what they are saying or cant understand them? Are the professors approachable if you need help because from as far as I know tourocom does not have a tutoring service yet. Does tourocom have any other student resources in terms of learning the material? Do they reviews before exams?
Thanks in advance!
I know tourocom is a new school but they have or plan to have student TAs?
Does tourcom have a print quota?
Hello all, I have a few random questions about tourocom if any current students can help shed some light on this randomness.
Does tourocom have the same professors for the entire class or do certain classes have random clinicians come and lecture and you hardly see them again?
Are the professors helpful in learning the material or do you have to learn the material yourself because the students and professors have no idea what they are saying or cant understand them? Are the professors approachable if you need help because from as far as I know tourocom does not have a tutoring service yet. Does tourocom have any other student resources in terms of learning the material? Do they reviews before exams?
Thanks in advance!
I know tourocom is a new school but they have or plan to have student TAs?
Does tourcom have a print quota?
I'm not a student there and don't know the answers to most of your questions... but I think that most medical schools, whether allopathic or osteopathic, have clinicians/experts come in and teach each section of a course .. for some courses. I'd be happy if someone corrected me on that, but isn't that how much of medical education is?
I'm not a student there and don't know the answers to most of your questions... but I think that most medical schools, whether allopathic or osteopathic, have clinicians/experts come in and teach each section of a course .. for some courses. I'd be happy if someone corrected me on that, but isn't that how much of medical education is?
your right that is how it is done for SOME of the courses. But seeing as how touro is a new school perhaps most of their courses are like that; perhaps i'm mistaken.
just got a call from the dean.... oh my god, i'm going to be a doctor....
miracles really do happen 😍
miracles really do happen 😍
Answers Inline from a MS year 1.
Hello all, I have a few random questions about tourocom if any current students can help shed some light on this randomness.
Does tourocom have the same professors for the entire class or do certain classes have random clinicians come and lecture and you hardly see them again?
Same Professor except Physical Diagnosis where outside folks are brought in (IE cardiologist for cardiac, etc.). There is an overall course director though. On occasion other classes do bring in outside professors.
Are the professors helpful in learning the material or do you have to learn the material yourself because the students and professors have no idea what they are saying or cant understand them? Are the professors approachable if you need help because from as far as I know tourocom does not have a tutoring service yet. Does tourocom have any other student resources in terms of learning the material? Do they reviews before exams?
Mostly helpful. Like other schools, some good, some bad but overall most professors are good and will try to help. As for other resources, usually other students in the class are the best resource. Sometimes the year II folks can help.
Thanks in advance!
I know tourocom is a new school but they have or plan to have student TAs?
NO
Does tourcom have a print quota?
Not sure what that means?
from the other thread for the last application cycle..
i think it's August 3, 2009 because i just got an e-mail from Obed saying that i have to finish my last English and Behavioral Science credits before then, lol
I can't believe it, I am going to be a doctor. This is so cool.
Does anyone know when orientation/first day of classes are?
i think it's August 3, 2009 because i just got an e-mail from Obed saying that i have to finish my last English and Behavioral Science credits before then, lol
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
from the other thread for the last application cycle..
i think it's August 3, 2009 because i just got an e-mail from Obed saying that i have to finish my last English and Behavioral Science credits before then, lol
I know for the class of 2012, August 3rd is the magic date. For the class of 2013, it should be either a week earlier or latter.
Gold
Hi all! I'm a 1st year at TouroCOM. This is my first time posting on here since my interview cycle. I see there's another Touro student answering a lot of your questions, so I wanted to make myself available to answer them as well. I'll try to check this regularly and help Gold out. Feel free to PM me!
Congrats to all of you who have been accepted! Y'all should make a facebook group--it's a great way to start networking! Also, good luck to those with interviews next week! 🙂
Congrats to all of you who have been accepted! Y'all should make a facebook group--it's a great way to start networking! Also, good luck to those with interviews next week! 🙂
incase anyone was wondering...Obed said that the class of 2013 was only half full as of 2/10/09...so there is still plenty of space for those that are still interviewing.
I'll second that, I interviewed that day and specifically recall Obed saying that..Definitely helped my confidence, im sure that was his point after scaring everyone with his "pep-talk" lol
Good Luck to all,
CJ
I really wanted to get in, but after seeing jazgurl and allisome..I'm going to call up Obed personally and beg! Lol
You both would make my medical education much more enjoyable,
Good Luck and thank you,
CJ
You both would make my medical education much more enjoyable,
Good Luck and thank you,
CJ
I hope you don't make their education miserableI really wanted to get in, but after seeing jazgurl and allisome..I'm going to call up Obed personally and beg! Lol
You both would make my medical education much more enjoyable,
Good Luck and thank you,
CJ

hey, there is a really insightful blog i found that some of you may be interested in:
http://www.thehealthcareblog.com/the_health_care_blog/
does anybody else have good leads on blogs or info sites they like?
http://www.thehealthcareblog.com/the_health_care_blog/
does anybody else have good leads on blogs or info sites they like?
damned, they didnt call me today. if they didnt call today, that probably means being rejected. Am i right? a little depressing now. I hate being rejected.😡Has anyone from th3 2/10 interview group heard back anything? tomorrow is the end of the 2 weeks...
damned, they didnt call me today. if they didnt call today, that probably means being rejected. Am i right? a little depressing now. I hate being rejected.😡
I went through the same thought process when I didn't get the call after 2 weeks. I ended up being placed on the high waitlist. Don't give up hope!
I went through the same thought process when I didn't get the call after 2 weeks. I ended up being placed on the high waitlist. Don't give up hope!
When did you interview, pancake man? Maybe they are just behind? So worried now😱
I interviewed on 2/17 and I remember the Dean saying something about going out of town, but he was not sure when so perhaps he is out now and that's why you guys are not getting your calls? Just some food for thought, just relax, I'm sure you'll get the call!
Ay-OooooO!
For those planning to attend Touro in the Fall, I created a Facebook group to get to know one another and help figure out living situations and meet ups prior to matriculation.
Here's the link!
http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=55956590833
Class of 2013!!!
For those planning to attend Touro in the Fall, I created a Facebook group to get to know one another and help figure out living situations and meet ups prior to matriculation.
Here's the link!
http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=55956590833
Class of 2013!!!
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Has anybody heard a response back from the admissions office this week??😀
Random questions for some current students:
When do you take your ethics courses if any? Is a lot of emphasis put on this?
Does the school get you CPR certified or do we have to do it on our own and bring in the certificate?
When do you do your preceptorship, if any?
What do you do during orientation week?
When do you take your ethics courses if any? Is a lot of emphasis put on this?
Does the school get you CPR certified or do we have to do it on our own and bring in the certificate?
When do you do your preceptorship, if any?
What do you do during orientation week?
Random questions for some current students:
When do you take your ethics courses if any? Is a lot of emphasis put on this?
In preventative medicine class during the the first semester. Their isn't much emphasis on it due to Anatomy keeping you very busy.
Does the school get you CPR certified or do we have to do it on our own and bring in the certificate?
The school does a basic CPR class and ACLS.
When do you do your preceptorship, if any?
We are required to do one shadowing experience in the second semester of the first year. You can do more if you want.
What do you do during orientation week?
Paperwork, get ID's. listen to speechs, meet your classmates, enjoy life. Not to worry that free time ends the next week when anatomy starts🙂
Has anybody heard a response back from the admissions office this week??😀
This week is very busy for Administration, it might take another week to hear back.
Gold
- Status
- Not open for further replies.
Similar threads
- Replies
- 270
- Views
- 71K
- Replies
- 395
- Views
- 102K
- Replies
- 226
- Views
- 65K
- Replies
- 300
- Views
- 57K
- Replies
- 2K
- Views
- 417K
