-
CycleTrack and SDN are teaming up to make medical school admissions more transparent and accessible! Read the announcement to learn how we’re supporting the future of CycleTrack’s free application-tracking tools .
You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
TUCOM-NV Discussion Thread 2009-2010
Started by danimjo
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
Question about the secondary. I dont see any essay questions. Is this correct that there is no essay for the secondary?
Keep reading. It's question 17 on page three of the actual application.
17. Personal Statement In the space provided, please print or type a response to the following statement:
[FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman][FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman]Describe the personal characteristics you possess and the life experiences you have had that would contribute to you becoming an outstanding osteopathic physician. Please include information that will enable the Admissions Committee to understand your unique qualities. (Please attach additional pages as needed.)
..
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Keep reading. It's question 17 on page three of the actual application.
17. Personal Statement In the space provided, please print or type a response to the following statement:
[FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman][FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman]Describe the personal characteristics you possess and the life experiences you have had that would contribute to you becoming an outstanding osteopathic physician. Please include information that will enable the Admissions Committee to understand your unique qualities. (Please attach additional pages as needed.)
..
One of the essay questions I actually liked. Tell me why we should select you. You'll notice there is nothing in there about academic grades. It's all personal characteristics and life experiences.
One of the essay questions I actually liked. Tell me why we should select you. You'll notice there is nothing in there about academic grades. It's all personal characteristics and life experiences.
I agree. Nothing about academics, focuses solely on experience, which I feel is more important (my uGPA may have a little something to do with that too 🙄). I think that this is part of the reason that I have an interview here coming up in January. Hopefully it works out, it seems like Touro-NV is a major up and coming school and the fact that there is only 2 schools in NV makes it pretty prime for residencies/rotations in the area
I DID NOT RECEIVE THE RIGHT SECONDARY!!! I could not find any essays on my supplemental application. Oh well I will call them and ask them to send me the correct one.
The secondary I have is a general one with other masters programs included like PA, and BSN/MSN.
The secondary I have is a general one with other masters programs included like PA, and BSN/MSN.
I agree. Nothing about academics, focuses solely on experience, which I feel is more important (my uGPA may have a little something to do with that too 🙄). I think that this is part of the reason that I have an interview here coming up in January. Hopefully it works out, it seems like Touro-NV is a major up and coming school and the fact that there is only 2 schools in NV makes it pretty prime for residencies/rotations in the area
I don't know how I would classify TUNCOM in the national context of the future of health care, but one thing is certain, they are absolutely an up and coming force to be reckoned with in Nevada. Aside from the fact that it is only one of two schools, its class size is twice that of the allopathic school. I've already seen some snide comments about Touro from MD's, but eventually, the people that the Allopathic school snubbed their noses at are going to return home to practice medicine and they're going to be from Touro, not UNR. It's going to force the old school grumps to reassess how they approach medicine as more and more of the family practice docs making referrals are DO's and not making referrals to people who have snubbed them simply for the letters after their name. I know I wouldn't send one of my patients in family practice to a surgeon who looked down his nose at my education. Screw him, there are others who won't
I don't know how I would classify TUNCOM in the national context of the future of health care, but one thing is certain, they are absolutely an up and coming force to be reckoned with in Nevada. Aside from the fact that it is only one of two schools, its class size is twice that of the allopathic school. I've already seen some snide comments about Touro from MD's, but eventually, the people that the Allopathic school snubbed their noses at are going to return home to practice medicine and they're going to be from Touro, not UNR. It's going to force the old school grumps to reassess how they approach medicine as more and more of the family practice docs making referrals are DO's and not making referrals to people who have snubbed them simply for the letters after their name. I know I wouldn't send one of my patients in family practice to a surgeon who looked down his nose at my education. Screw him, there are others who won't
If this were a comment on Facebook I would click 'LIKE'.
Interview invite! Sent in my stuff 10/24.
They must like me i guess 😀
They must like me i guess 😀
Last edited:
Interview invite! Sent in my stuff 10/24.
They must like me i guess 😀
Good Luck!!!!
FYI, I called them up asking about the secondary I received as well. They have a new secondary where no essay is required. It is the right secondary so no need to freak out like I did.
Best of luck to all still applying!!!
Best of luck to all still applying!!!
Hey guys, I heard back from Touro yesterday afternoon and I was accepted. I was incredibly impressed with the opportunities available so I am definitely attending. 😀 Good Luck to all!!!
Hey guys,
I got an interview invitation from them and my interview is on Feb 1st and it is my FIRST one ever this cycle.. so I'm nervous and kinda scared.. any tips or advice?
Thanks and good luck to all =)
I got an interview invitation from them and my interview is on Feb 1st and it is my FIRST one ever this cycle.. so I'm nervous and kinda scared.. any tips or advice?
Thanks and good luck to all =)
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Congrats and good luck. Don't forget to join our Facebook group.
Hey DrMcKittrick,
I searched for the TUNCOM group on facebook but I wasn't successful, I just found previous years. Would you be able to post the link? Thanks
I searched for the TUNCOM group on facebook but I wasn't successful, I just found previous years. Would you be able to post the link? Thanks
Congrats and good luck. Don't forget to join our Facebook group.
For those who interviewed here, how specific will they delve into your activities? I just wanted to know because I have participated in molec bio research with a publication, and I want to know how specific they'll ask questions about your research (do they want a brief summary, or will they ask specifics about your methodology and would they want to know why you used certain materials, such as how does (_reagent_) work?)
For those who interviewed here, how specific will they delve into your activities? I just wanted to know because I have participated in molec bio research with a publication, and I want to know how specific they'll ask questions about your research (do they want a brief summary, or will they ask specifics about your methodology and would they want to know why you used certain materials, such as how does (_reagent_) work?)
Probably not. A question like that would mean they don't think you actually did the research and want to expose your lies. It will likely be general stuff. Mine was. "Looks like you did some research. Could you tell us a little about that?" Nothing really in depth.
For those who interviewed here, how specific will they delve into your activities? I just wanted to know because I have participated in molec bio research with a publication, and I want to know how specific they'll ask questions about your research (do they want a brief summary, or will they ask specifics about your methodology and would they want to know why you used certain materials, such as how does (_reagent_) work?)
I agree with the earlier post. I was asked the same generic "tell us about your research," question. I do not think the interviewers want to be bogged down with unnecessary details but instead are trying to maybe see how involved you were with the lab and were you actually interested vs. just in there to help you get into medical school. Just my two cents.
Hi, I was wait listed here, and I just received a call from the new director of admissions... and they've accepted me...
I'm still pretty set on going to TOURO CA, but I'm going to take the next few weeks to think about it...
Just wanted to let those of you who are wait listed that there has been movement.
The Admissions Director told me that I was on the high wait list... and that he was calling and offering acceptance to all those who qualified this week... they won't be leaving for Christmas break until Thursday.... so you may want to call them and find out where you are on the wait list....
I'm still pretty set on going to TOURO CA, but I'm going to take the next few weeks to think about it...
Just wanted to let those of you who are wait listed that there has been movement.
The Admissions Director told me that I was on the high wait list... and that he was calling and offering acceptance to all those who qualified this week... they won't be leaving for Christmas break until Thursday.... so you may want to call them and find out where you are on the wait list....
I got a call from the director of admissions yesterday as well. I interviewed on Oct. 12th and was waitlisted, so I guess they decided to offer me a spot. I wasn't able to answer his call, but he left a message, saying something along the lines of having an offer for me. I didn't think schools looked at their waitlists until end of spring/early summer; very pleasant surprise, but I am set on attending LMU-DCOM.
Gratz to everyone on their acceptances. I just wanted to let you guys know of the Facebook group. It's in my signature.
Looking forward to meeting everyone.
Here it is since my signature didn't show up on this reply
http://www.facebook.com/home.php?filter=lf#/group.php?gid=149913946134
Looking forward to meeting everyone.
Here it is since my signature didn't show up on this reply
http://www.facebook.com/home.php?filter=lf#/group.php?gid=149913946134
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hello everyone. I have a couple of questions:
Does this school send a confirmation upon receiving the secondary materials?
How long did you have to wait for interview invite after submitting secondary?
If anyone can share their stats with me for receiving an interview, I would be forever grateful.
I have 3.3 cum, 3.1 science, 27O MCAT, 3.94 MPH from Fall 09 semester, expected to finish in summer. What do you guys think? Do I have a chance at Touro-NV? The suspense is killing me!
Oh an I am out of state (Cali)
Thanks a lot... good luck to you all!
Does this school send a confirmation upon receiving the secondary materials?
How long did you have to wait for interview invite after submitting secondary?
If anyone can share their stats with me for receiving an interview, I would be forever grateful.
I have 3.3 cum, 3.1 science, 27O MCAT, 3.94 MPH from Fall 09 semester, expected to finish in summer. What do you guys think? Do I have a chance at Touro-NV? The suspense is killing me!
Oh an I am out of state (Cali)
Thanks a lot... good luck to you all!
Hello everyone. I have a couple of questions:
Does this school send a confirmation upon receiving the secondary materials?
How long did you have to wait for interview invite after submitting secondary?
If anyone can share their stats with me for receiving an interview, I would be forever grateful.
I have 3.3 cum, 3.1 science, 27O MCAT, 3.94 MPH from Fall 09 semester, expected to finish in summer. What do you guys think? Do I have a chance at Touro-NV? The suspense is killing me!
Oh an I am out of state (Cali)
Thanks a lot... good luck to you all!
I don't think that I received an e-mail confirmation telling me that my file was complete, but that might be because I called to check my status and they said that it had just become complete that day, lol. So maybe they would have e-mailed me to let me know. But just an hour or so after my call, I received the interview invite by e-mail. That was back in Sept, though, so I would imagine that it might take longer during this time of the application season, and depending on your application of course.
I guess I would say you probably have a pretty good chance, but of course I'm no expert 😳 How many science hours do you have? It seems to be really important to Touro. Since I wasn't a science major, I didn't have many, and they really focused on that, despite good grades. They kept saying at the interview that it was the only thing the admissions committee would be worried about. They gave me a provisional acceptance because of it. So, I would say that if you have less than 50, your chances of being accepted will probably be a bit lower.
And I don't think that being out-of-state matters since it's private, especially for you, being so close. In my case they might not have believed I'd actually move all the way down there or something.
I do remember on my interview day being really surprised at the number of acceptances they claimed to have already given out, though. (Not that everyone accepts those), but if/when you get an interview, I would try to get it in as early as possible!
Also, my stats are in my mdapps
I have an interview scheduled for January 25. Is anyone else going to be there that Monday? Does anyone know any Touro students I could email? I have some questions even after reading through this whole thread and doing a search.
sorry if this is a silly question...science hours? is that experience in a health-care setting?
=units of science classes taken....
Does anyone know the COMLEX 1 and 2 pass rates for first time takers?
Does anyone know what % of students take the USMLE? And what % pass the USMLE out of the amount that take the exam.
I wish they published these scores somewhere.
I think i remember Comlex 1 being around 91-92%.... from Roger
Accepted: 1 interview 1 acceptance this cycle
Accepted: 1 interview 1 acceptance this cycle
When did you interview? I think that I should be hearing this week, interviewed 11th of Jan

Hey dbdan, i was interviewed on the 5th
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Yeah, I probably was since the Jan.5th group was the first group to be interviewed this month. I dunno how other med schools' AdCom's are (since I didnt interview with any other schools), but having a response after sending a thank-you note post-interview was pretty nice on Touro-NV's part.
I will be interviewing in 2 weeks. I have around 50 science credits. Based on other posts, it seems like the interviewers want more. Do you think they will grill me on why I have only 50 science credits. What are they looking for? Will I be waitlisted with only 50 sci credits?
Oscar, the Director of Admissions, went over the stats of applicants and those who matriculated. I think he mentioned that most of the students have well over the minimum number of required science hours. I don't know exactly if they'll question you on the number of hours (I was a bio major, so I definitely met the minimum), but if you feel anything "just meets" the minimum, definitely be prepared to explain it (like GPA, MCAT, and such).
I will be interviewing in 2 weeks. I have around 50 science credits. Based on other posts, it seems like the interviewers want more. Do you think they will grill me on why I have only 50 science credits. What are they looking for? Will I be waitlisted with only 50 sci credits?
You can still get accepted with that if it's the only problem. I had about 30 completed science credits, and 13 planned/in progress during this year, and they gave me a conditional acceptance, meaning I just need to get at least B's in my remaining classes.
I would say that a good majority of my interview was spent talking about the number of science hours I had, though, and the classes they recommend I try taking before matriculating. Then a couple of other typical interview questions. It was all very conversational.
Similar threads
- Replies
- 300
- Views
- 57K
- Replies
- 0
- Views
- 21K
- Replies
- 0
- Views
- 40K
- Replies
- 0
- Views
- 65K
- Replies
- 385
- Views
- 90K