Tufts c/o 2016 Applicants

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Kegra,
I hope your brother will be okay. It's amazing that you are still on top of things under the circumstances. Hang in.

Members don't see this ad.

Kegra,
I hope your brother will be okay. It's amazing that you are still on top of things under the circumstances. Hang in.

ditto. i'm having a hard enough time and there's no tough stuff like that happening in my life...

Same for me actually. I am curious if it would have helped a little. Probably not, since a lot of my awards are from high school. Haha.

i pretty much uploaded a separate document that lists all my ECs/awards with a brief description instead of listing some in the allotted space on the application and then continuing in the addition info section, just for ease of use...i basically put here what i put on the VMCAS application...

Members don't see this ad :)
JUST SUBMITTED! YASSS!!!! WAHOOO!!!!! :D
yay procrastination/sleep deprivation!!!!

now onto the wisconsin supplemental whenever that is sent out...until then, time to veg out!!!

JUST SUBMITTED! YASSS!!!! WAHOOO!!!!! :D
yay procrastination/sleep deprivation!!!!

now onto the wisconsin supplemental whenever that is sent out...until then, time to veg out!!!

Ditto! LOL Waaay last min... :scared: Was having a tough time on that dinner question. Good luck everyone!

Its okay if your format came out ooogy in the preview. For macs and different browsers Tufts sent a message out saying this was commonplace, but in the actual document they receive the formats remain the same, so no worries.

TUFTS - DONE

...i can't believe i submitted such a crappy essay for the 3000/100 essay. oh god. 2am desperation makes me to crazy things, like submitting crap essays. this is going to haunt me. OAISGHOEIAHGOAEEGHOIAGEHIG

Don't worry...there are grades, GRE scores, LOR's, 3 other essays, descriptions of jobs and experiences, interview...you'll be fine. And I'm sure that essay wasn't as awful as you think it was.

Congrats everyone for sending in the Tufts application!!!!!! Now all we gotta do is wait :D Isn't this fun?

Hey skids, glad you all made it under the deadline. Do not stress about interviews and such til at LEAST January (really, you'll save yourself the ulcers. I wish I had!)

It is kinda nice knowing I've got a spot in 2016 but at the same time, it's a double-edged sword for me. I'm strongly considering other career options besides vet school so, although it's nice to have a safety net, I'm kinda floundering in a sea of indecision such as stay or go, doctor or master's. It's migraine in a bag that I deal with too much on a daily basis....:scared::confused:

Hang tight, gang! We'll make it through this waiting period, no sweat.

Also, I think the extra essays that Tufts has us write is about displaying our individuality outside of the animal or veterinary field. I personally enjoyed the experience (only cause I love creative writing almost as much as I love bio).

DON'T STRESS!!!!

Thanks Kaydubs-I love the creative writing, too, and have just joined a writers group at the public library; hoping the writing will keep the stress level down. Are you considering the joint program at Tufts DMV/MPH I think it's called, or something else elsewhere? I wonder about that program, so if you know any insiders' scoop beyond what I can read on the website, let me know (and no...I didn't apply for that program but am just curious at this point and even wonder if it's possible to decide on later on while I'm already in vet school).

Are you considering the joint program at Tufts DMV/MPH I think it's called, or something else elsewhere? I wonder about that program, so if you know any insiders' scoop beyond what I can read on the website, let me know (and no...I didn't apply for that program but am just curious at this point and even wonder if it's possible to decide on later on while I'm already in vet school).

I'm a first year student, and was in the DVM/MPH dual degree program for the first month of class before I dropped the MPH. (Short version is that I love and am passionate about public health, but decided that it is a better decision for me personally to finish my DVM first and then pursue my MPH after). I think it's a great program for the other people my year who are in it, and while it is extra work, you should definitely consider applying if you are interested in a career in public health.

To answer your questions about the logistics of applying for the program, the application isn't due until April 1st or so, and you actually can't turn in an application until you are at least granted an interview. But you can't apply after you already start vet school - it is a 4 year program and your first MPH class starts in July before vet school classes start. So yeah, one shot deal, and you apply in the spring.

If you want to know more, feel free to send me a PM.

Thanks so much for the first-hand information. It does sound somewhat overwhelming doing the two programs at the same time. Kudos, though, to those who are able to do it. Although theoretically it sounds like a great program, I don't know if I could make the time commitment. Right now I'm just hoping to get that vet school interview. Then if I do get in maybe I'll have the confidence to consider applying for it. Thanks again!

Members don't see this ad :)
Just wanted to say congrats to everyone for getting their apps in! I myself had some issues crop up in life and didn't get my application in. Thus, now there's one less applicant in the pile. Best of luck to all!!! :luck:

I hope you will get accepted into another school (did you apply to others through VMCAS?) Best of luck and thanks for the well wishes.

Just wanted to say congrats to everyone for getting their apps in! I myself had some issues crop up in life and didn't get my application in. Thus, now there's one less applicant in the pile. Best of luck to all!!! :luck:

Aw, I'll be sad not to commiserate about Tufts-related things. Good luck with your other schools!

Gotta respond to your PM. I'm greatly saddened and disheartened that I won't have the possibility of you being a fellow comrade at Tufts :( But, I will do my best to make you proud of me in my (hopeful) endeavors there. :)

Hey 2016ers, I'm really happy to consider you potential classmates. I can't wait to get this whole thing going :) (Hint hint: guess who's going back to the possibility of vet school as her permanent future fixture?) :biglove:

You know Kaydubs, I think it's normal to have doubts and fears and feelings of being overwhelmed about many aspects of going to vet school. I know there are people who have no doubts about what they want to do and would never question their decisions. But for a lot of us, life is not like that. Life is more about exploring things, questioning ourselves, backing off and backing back in. I'm sure you'll find many of us (if we make it in this year) in your class to commiserate with over life decisions. When one person is down about vet school, another one will be up. Friends will support one another along. I'm glad you're up for it now, but don't be disheartened if you have more doubts. Sometimes we just have to "go for it" despite the doubts and then come out the other end glad that we did. There is no "perfect" profession or career, so it's a matter of choosing one you love/like most of the time and riding the ups and downs. If the downs are more than the ups, then maybe it's time for a switch...but we haven't even really begun this one yet! Hope to meet you in the fall and be part of the class!

You know Kaydubs, I think it's normal to have doubts and fears and feelings of being overwhelmed about many aspects of going to vet school. I know there are people who have no doubts about what they want to do and would never question their decisions. But for a lot of us, life is not like that. Life is more about exploring things, questioning ourselves, backing off and backing back in. I'm sure you'll find many of us (if we make it in this year) in your class to commiserate with over life decisions. When one person is down about vet school, another one will be up. Friends will support one another along. I'm glad you're up for it now, but don't be disheartened if you have more doubts. Sometimes we just have to "go for it" despite the doubts and then come out the other end glad that we did. There is no "perfect" profession or career, so it's a matter of choosing one you love/like most of the time and riding the ups and downs. If the downs are more than the ups, then maybe it's time for a switch...but we haven't even really begun this one yet! Hope to meet you in the fall and be part of the class!

Thanks, Bisbee :thumbup: I'm lumping all of my blame on burn-out. I'd rather not go too in-depth about my detoru from vet school but being a vet is back on my list of priorities. I share in the hope that you (and the rest of you hopefuls) will be cruising North Grafton in the fall.

It's too bad I don't have the stats to get into Tufts; the people in their admissions office are so friendly and pleasant to deal with!
I just got an email from one of the admissions counselors saying that their tracking page should be up tomorrow/Monday. Yayyyyy (?)

I got an email from the admissions office at around noon saying the tracking page would be up later today. It's 5:20 now, so I wonder if it really will be today. Maybe it will be Monday instead.

The tracking page is officially up! woooooo... aaaand now more anxiety

The tracking page is officially up! woooooo... aaaand now more anxiety

What a ridiculously hard username and password! Mostly username b/c I can't change that!

but everything's in!!!!!:hardy:

Looks like a handful of interview invites went out November 24th last year... Hopefully we won't have to wait too long before we start to hear from them! :xf:

Looks like a handful of interview invites went out November 24th last year... Hopefully we won't have to wait too long before we start to hear from them! :xf:
:thumbup: Truth! But don't get too worked up if you don't hear until the first week of January. Cause I got unnecessarily worked up and couldn't focus on my finals :laugh:

What a ridiculously hard username and password! Mostly username b/c I can't change that!

but everything's in!!!!!:hardy:

Yeah, keep the email on hand at all times. It'll save you some trouble.

In other news, spoke to several people at Tufts in the past few weeks. I was on the phone with Patty on Wednesday - I LOVE TUFTS :biglove:

And just so you don't get bummed out, at least two cycles ago, all the MA people seemed to have been interviewed altogether in like late Feb. I'd heard back from pretty much every school I applied to before this invite even came. And when I went to my interview, everyone on my day was from MA. So don't get pooped out just because you don't get one of the early interview dates... Well actually, don't get pooped out regardless of where your state residency is, because I think most of the interviews are in the spring anyway.

again with the Tufts being super considerate and helpful. they're just so nice!
GAH now getting their rejection is going to be so much more upsetting!!

excerpt from super-helpful email: "These interviews are scheduled for December 16, 2011, and February 1, 2, 6, 7, 8, 2012. If you are selected to interview, you will receive a letter a few weeks in advance which will include the specific date and time of your interview.
THIS INTERVIEW LETTER WILL ARRIVE VIA EMAIL FOR THE DECEMBER 16 DATE AND VIA U.S. MAIL FOR THE INTERVIEW DATES IN FEBRUARY."

The email also said they will interview about 280 applicants...keeping my fingers crossed to be one of the 280! It would be especially nice to be in that first batch interviewed on 12/16, wouldn't it?

It sure would! Although I'm in-state so chances are I'll be waiting to hear back from them. Good luck everyone and Happy Thanksgiving!

hey anxious ones :) - last year they sent out Dec. 16 invites around now-ish. I can't remember the exact date but by the time I dragged myself to SDN, I had missed the panic over interview emails :p

When the interview invites start popping up, feel free to PM if you have interview questions (or want to hear the ones I had. In typical OCD/photographic memory fashion, I remembered them all almost verbatim....).

Honestly, with the way things are, the holidays will take your mind off things if you let them and before you know it, you'll be getting that beautiful little envelope :biglove: I'm an obsessive thinker and I really didn't start panicking until I realized that I listed the wrong address (school rather than home) and my letter got lost for almost a week :scared:

Just hang tough. Patty told me they are wading through apps now and, honestly, one of the major reasons why I chose Tufts in the end is because of the degree that they actually care about you there and want you to be a part of their extended family :love: I'm planning a trip up in January to meet the 2015s I didn't meet this fall (as in, just about all of them....) in person.

I'm looking forward to getting this ball rolling and starting to meet my future classmates. if any of you can believe it, I'm as nervous as you are (and I just have to sit on my hands until acceptances go out.....). Be cool, gang, be cool :cool: (And in my current location, it's not an issue:laugh:)

P.S. Desire to be one of the 280 (or whatever the number...) but aspire higher to be a member of the 100(or less). Then, you'd meet me. And I'd say I'm pretty awesome :rolleyes:

Kaydubs, Looking forward to meeting you, but first I have to be one of the 280, then one of the 98 (that's the number they gave us for class size). First things first!

I got my interview invitation on 11/23 for 12/16!!!!!!!!!!! this is my first invitation i'm so excited :) that just made my holiday so much better.

they said they will pick out 98 out of 280 or so right? i sent in my app on 11/5 because of the snow disaster i can't believe they got back to me so fast like in 2 weeks!

and there interview dates seems bit weired one day in 12/16 december and all other in february?
would this mean anything?:(

I got my interview invitation on 11/23 for 12/16!!!!!!!!!!! this is my first invitation i'm so excited :) that just made my holiday so much better.

they said they will pick out 98 out of 280 or so right? i sent in my app on 11/5 because of the snow disaster i can't believe they got back to me so fast like in 2 weeks!

and there interview dates seems bit weired one day in 12/16 december and all other in february?

I'm not too sure the dates matter too much. I know plenty of people who interviewed in Feb. and were accepted but a healthy amount from Dec. too. Remember, it's just one day so they can't possibly interview that many!!

With my outlook on the whole admissions process, say they got exactly 280 this year. Say 10-15% were rejected off the bat. That leaves 252-238. Say 50-60% (or maybe less with the state funding cuts) are MA while the rest are OOS (possibly more but, this is ALL hypothetical). Figure out your odds from there. I'd wager that the early date are for those 50 applicants (or less) that might be the frontrunners in the WHOLE app process (don't get big heads or anything). I'd say Tufts really could weigh your interview heavily (particularly if you screw up) and your interviewers really do fight to keep or get rid of you.

But, then again, those 50 applicants might have applied to 28 other schools so....they can only go to *1* school.

So, those who don't receive an early interview, don't panic. I was in the Feb. stack but I'd think that the earlier you are offered an interview in February, your chances might be better:confused:. But, that does not mean you wouldn't get accepted simply cause you have a "late" date. It really is a crapshoot sometimes. Just come with guns blazing, and you'll be all right :laugh:

On the bright side, January is when EVERYTHING goes out (rejections, waitlists, interview invites). Canis13 had numbers for interviews offered for me last year so, maybe he'd shed light on that again? So, if you're a true Tufts-wanna-be, January will be when all hell breaks loose. But on the bright side, after interviews, we were notified starting.....February 16th? I interviewed on the 8th. And they tell you not to expect word til March ;)

In short: stay cool :cool:

On the bright side, January is when EVERYTHING goes out (rejections, waitlists, interview invites). Canis13 had numbers for interviews offered for me last year so, maybe he'd shed light on that again? So, if you're a true Tufts-wanna-be, January will be when all hell breaks loose. But on the bright side, after interviews, we were notified starting.....February 16th? I interviewed on the 8th. And they tell you not to expect word til March ;)

In short: stay cool :cool:

Shucks. I just missed out on potentially meeting you. Haha. I interviewed on the 7th last year. Originally, I was supposed to go on the 3rd, but freaked out thinking I wouldn't make it up north from Baltimore due to that ridiculous snow storm that hit, so I had mine rescheduled. Worked out better for me though, since my Glasgow interview was on the 8th in Boston.

I am pretty sure the interview date in Dec is just for out-of-staters, you'll be okay :thumbup:

Shucks. I just missed out on potentially meeting you. Haha. I interviewed on the 7th last year. Originally, I was supposed to go on the 3rd, but freaked out thinking I wouldn't make it up north from Baltimore due to that ridiculous snow storm that hit, so I had mine rescheduled. Worked out better for me though, since my Glasgow interview was on the 8th in Boston.

That snow storm was epic, man. They're hoping for a better winter this year :laugh: Silly global warming, it really DOES exist!

I'm talking to my one 2016 hopeful who really wants to go to Tufts & is from my undergrad. I told him I'd make the trek to Tufts *when* that interview comes in. He's got a Y chromosome....I wish he was more confident :p

Quick question: Do all the early interview emails go out in one day? If I didn't receive one the 23rd, does this mean I must stalk the mail now? oh goody

Just got back from a Thanksgiving trip and saw that a few of you have gotten interviews for the 16th of December! Congratulations! No news here as yet, so I'm keeping my fingers crossed for the later interview dates. Best of luck on the 12th!

Just got back from a Thanksgiving trip and saw that a few of you have gotten interviews for the 16th of December! Congratulations! No news here as yet, so I'm keeping my fingers crossed for the later interview dates. Best of luck on the 12th!

......the 12th??? Merr???:confused: If you meant the 16th, I understand ;) Kick butt on the 16th, hopefuls!!!

Oooops, sorry...the 16th! Don't anyone go showing up on the 12th!

& just realized today is the 13th. Dunno if anyone's panicking about interviews (I perused the admissions rant page and noticed some....anxiety....) on Friday but if anyone wants to pick my brain, feel free. I know my 2015 cohorts are eyeball deep in exams right now so.....yeah, feel free. PM or whatever. If you perfer texting or email, I'm pretty flexible with that stuff. And hey, if you want, I'll even involve phone calls (it's ancient, I know, but sometimes we like to hear voices!) to soothe fraying nerves.

So, hit me up!;)

Otherwise, best of luck to everyone! I know I'll be up for a day with my prevetawan Tufts hopeful in Feb :)luck::xf::luck:)

:biglove: I'll be thinking happy thoughts for everyone this Friday & all through your respective finals week/week prior to holiday madness!!

Does anyone have the link for the trackingpage? thanks :OD

Good luck to everyone interviewing today! And don't forget to let us know all the details!

Okay...everyone who interviewed yesterday: We've given you a chance to get home from Massachusetts, get settled in. Now tell us how it was! Waiting to hear!

Okay...everyone who interviewed yesterday: We've given you a chance to get home from Massachusetts, get settled in. Now tell us how it was! Waiting to hear!
Hi guys,

So I interviewed yesterday at Tufts. My scouting report is not earth-shattering, I feel, but here ya go:

1. Everyone, from the professors who gave little talks on their work to the cafe workers to the admissions staff, was unbelievably nice. I mentioned this to my interviewers. They assured me that it wasn't just a show. People there are really that nice. She blamed it on the beautiful scenery, which leads me to point 2...

2. The campus is in a really gorgeous area. I took the commuter rail out to the Tufts in the morning and the ride was crazy beautiful and very New Englandy. The campus is sprawling, rural and lovely. The facilities were beautiful probably because of point 3.

3. Tufts is expensive as hell. The student budget is $63k per year, and there is no real merit-based money. The financial session was really upsetting. I could never actually afford to go to Tufts, no matter what their ultimate decision. That sort of sucks.

4. The interview itself was really low-key. The only real question I was asked was how I felt about the use of live animals in research. Everything else was conversational. Be prepared to sort of lead the interview yourself, though, as my first question was "Tell me a little about yourself and what has lead you here today." Super open-ended, obviously. They also asked me if I had debt from my previous school and if so, how I planned to afford vet school, so definitely put some thought into your finances.

Basically, I went to Tufts intending to dislike it because of cost and location (I'd prefer to be closer to a city). The place is impossible not to like, though. The people are awesome, their research programs are extensive and something they clearly focus on, and the opportunities to work on the farm and in the barns sound amazing. And the professors are great. Really great. Too bad the place costs a fortune.

If anyone has any specific questions about the day, I'd be happy to answer. These were just my initial impressions.

Sounds like they are going to make decisions very soon (I heard that the admission committee met yesterday afternoon after we all left), so good luck to everyone who interviewed yesterday and good luck to those waiting to hear. It's a really lovely place.

Last edited: