Tufts c/o 2025

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Do any current students have experience with the Masters of Conservation Medicine? Watching the tour video made me curious, and it looks like something I'd be interested in, but is it completely different from the vet school? Is it something that I could do a dual degree with? And if I do want to pursue that, do you have to decide/apply to before your first year? Sorry if this has all been answered before on here!
I already asked admissions and they said it is completely separate and has to be completed on its own, aka no dual degree.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
Do any current students have experience with the Masters of Conservation Medicine? Watching the tour video made me curious, and it looks like something I'd be interested in, but is it completely different from the vet school? Is it something that I could do a dual degree with? And if I do want to pursue that, do you have to decide/apply to before your first year? Sorry if this has all been answered before on here!
^^It is separate! There is the International Veterinary Medicine (IVM) program which can be done during school, it basically has seminars throughout the semester and then you complete a research project internationally over the summer + be a part of the research paper, and then you receive your IVM certificate. Depending on what you're interested in you could tailor it towards conservation, there's soooo many options for it! If you're not interested in the summer research you can still go to all of the seminars to hear about other student's projects or just have more experience learning about conservation

Reactions: 1 user
I just applied to the IVM program that @cbucks is referring to. just wanted to add that you don't need to do the certificate to do summer research (in the US or internationally). here's something I just saw on the IVM website - a student who was interested in conservation and did an IVM project Asian Elephants in Ireland

Members don't see this ad :)
They offer some dual degree programs but the conservation medicine degree is not an option to dual..I asked. I was sad about the no lol it’s the same professors and school. It’s a one year program. If you apply to both the McM and Dvm you can either defer your dvm acceptance a year and do the masters first, or reapply and do it after you graduate the dvm program. It looks like a really awesome program.

I already asked admissions and they said it is completely separate and has to be completed on its own, aka no dual degree.
^^It is separate! There is the International Veterinary Medicine (IVM) program which can be done during school, it basically has seminars throughout the semester and then you complete a research project internationally over the summer + be a part of the research paper, and then you receive your IVM certificate. Depending on what you're interested in you could tailor it towards conservation, there's soooo many options for it! If you're not interested in the summer research you can still go to all of the seminars to hear about other student's projects or just have more experience learning about conservation
This sounds good! I definitely want to be involved with international conservation, the masters program just seemed really great and I would have loved if it was a dual degree. But I’m really interested in IVM as well, it’s part of what is helping me lean towards tufts despite the $$

I just had a couple quick questions for any current students on the forum:
- For anatomy labs, I remember hearing that anatomy is on cadavers (typically donated by past clients of the hospital) as opposed to models. Is that correct/still accurate?
- Also, for surgery, is learning done first on a model then on a live animal through the Lily Lerner spay clinic?
- Finally, for the case-based learning/PBL course in the curriculum, does that typically parallel what is being taught in lecture or is it truly a class of its own?
Thank you in advance!

I just had a couple quick questions for any current students on the forum:
- For anatomy labs, I remember hearing that anatomy is on cadavers (typically donated by past clients of the hospital) as opposed to models. Is that correct/still accurate?
- Also, for surgery, is learning done first on a model then on a live animal through the Lily Lerner spay clinic?
- Finally, for the case-based learning/PBL course in the curriculum, does that typically parallel what is being taught in lecture or is it truly a class of its own?
Thank you in advance!
- Yes! For anatomy, we use cadavers that were donated from community members’ pets.

- I haven’t personally done so since I’m a first year but my 3rd year housemates first had a lab utilizing a model to simulate their Spay before they actually did it with a live animal.

- PBL cases don’t line up with material at the time in other classes. We are split into smaller groups with a facilitator and go through the “case” - talking about what questions we want to ask the owner, what diagnostics we want to run, what are possible underlying causes. We choose something we are interested in researching each week (our Learning Objective; something we don’t know - ie I researched why schnauzers are more prone to Pancreatitis one week) and present it to our small PBL group.

Reactions: 2 users
- Yes! For anatomy, we use cadavers that were donated from community members’ pets.

- I haven’t personally done so since I’m a first year but my 3rd year housemates first had a lab utilizing a model to simulate their Spay before they actually did it with a live animal.

- PBL cases don’t line up with material at the time in other classes. We are split into smaller groups with a facilitator and go through the “case” - talking about what questions we want to ask the owner, what diagnostics we want to run, what are possible underlying causes. We choose something we are interested in researching each week (our Learning Objective; something we don’t know - ie I researched why schnauzers are more prone to Pancreatitis one week) and present it to our small PBL group.
Thank you so much!

Sorry if this has been posted before here- but has anyone tried to visit the school/area? I know we’re not allowed in any buildings but even just to drive around and see the area? I was able to visit Wisconsin-Madison (where I’m tryin to decide between) this weekend and it made me realize how nice it is to see a place in person and actually visualize where I would be and how the school is laid out, and I would love to do the same for Tufts just to further compare them

Sorry if this has been posted before here- but has anyone tried to visit the school/area? I know we’re not allowed in any buildings but even just to drive around and see the area? I was able to visit Wisconsin-Madison (where I’m tryin to decide between) this weekend and it made me realize how nice it is to see a place in person and actually visualize where I would be and how the school is laid out, and I would love to do the same for Tufts just to further compare them
I would definitely recommend doing that if you can!! I think that’s important to do whenever you’re picking a school.

when choosing a school, the campus layout (or if you’d have to do a lot travel to different campuses) was important to know for me.

I did manage to visit Tufts as I have an acquaintance there and it was really helpful to see what I could. I was able to drive through campus. The buildings were closed but the campus was really nice and totally opposite of the other school I got accepted. It was worth it - I was able to be like, okay where would I live etc, how far am I from my aunt, how far am I from Boston, the ocean etc. but in real time.

Members don't see this ad :)
Is there a bookstore or campus store of some sort where I could get a tshirt if I go up to visit?

Is there a bookstore or campus store of some sort where I could get a tshirt if I go up to visit?
We do have the SAVMA store but currently it’s all online ordering and no in person shop.

Does anyone know when we should expect our aid package? I thought they said they'd get it to us before decision day but that's coming up fast and I haven't gotten anything

Does anyone know when we should expect our aid package? I thought they said they'd get it to us before decision day but that's coming up fast and I haven't gotten anything
I believe they said next week at the admitted students day last Monday? Hopefully sooner rather than later

I believe they said next week at the admitted students day last Monday? Hopefully sooner rather than later
So it should be sometime this week then? I couldn't make it to the admitted student's day. Is there anything else important they said?

So it should be sometime this week then? I couldn't make it to the admitted student's day. Is there anything else important they said?
It should be this week, yeah. I might email them and ask tomorrow.

Can any current students comment on whether or not there is a specific laptop requirement? Mine is 7+ years old and barely hanging on and I know some schools want a Mac over PC. Or if one works better with the notes/lectures than the other?

Can any current students comment on whether or not there is a specific laptop requirement? Mine is 7+ years old and barely hanging on and I know some schools want a Mac over PC. Or if one works better with the notes/lectures than the other?
I have a newer computer but I have my older Mac that I have used to watch lectures and such but I’ve never tried to use Examplify (the computer program that we take exams on) with my older laptop. Probably the biggest issue would be to make sure that Examplify would support your computer software.

I have a newer computer but I have my older Mac that I have used to watch lectures and such but I’ve never tried to use Examplify (the computer program that we take exams on) with my older laptop. Probably the biggest issue would be to make sure that Examplify would support your computer software.
oh good to know, thanks!

There’s a page with suggested specs for laptops for dvm students on the Tufts page! :)

Just accepted my seat!!! Should I be getting an email or something soon with what I do next? Right now I just have the receipt from the deposit

Reactions: 2 users
Do most people bring their pets to the schools clinic as students? I plan on getting a kitten once I’m moved that will have to be neutered eventually and I don’t know if I should start looking for vets in the area or if they do that there

just enrolled in v'25 :)
can't wait to meet you all!

• Care
Reactions: 4 users
Do most people bring their pets to the schools clinic as students? I plan on getting a kitten once I’m moved that will have to be neutered eventually and I don’t know if I should start looking for vets in the area or if they do that there
I think that's my plan! I heard something about a student discount there but I'm so adrenaline-y at the moment that I could be thinking of a different school

Just declined my OOS seat, best of luck to everyone on the waitlist!

Hi! I’m a first year here. I have two dogs and a cat. I have a few friends that have gotten puppies/kittens since starting school. Right now, tufts is closed for healthy visits for vaccines, but the Lerner clinic is doing spays and neuters! So unless things change for the fall, you’ll need to find a local clinic for vaccines and well visits. I actually work at VCA Westboro part time while in school, and a lot of vet students work there and bring their pets there!

Removed myself from the waitlist the other week because the tuition difference is just too much for OOS. Good luck to everyone!

JUST GOT A CALL FROM FORD!!! I'm in!!! Can't wait to meet you guys this fall!!! ❤️

• Love
Reactions: 7 users
Hey guys! Quick question- did anyone else have issues with setting up their email account? I was able to do it but the confirmation told me one email address and then when I logged into outlook it told me another.... I'll contact IT if I still can't figure it out but figured I'd ask in here first if anyone else had a similar issue!

Hey guys! Quick question- did anyone else have issues with setting up their email account? I was able to do it but the confirmation told me one email address and then when I logged into outlook it told me another.... I'll contact IT if I still can't figure it out but figured I'd ask in here first if anyone else had a similar issue!
Hi! I'm a first year. Our email addresses are our first name then period (.) then last name @tufts.edu

Not sure if this answers your question or not haha sometimes our usernames for signing into SIS, etc are different

Hi! I'm a first year. Our email addresses are our first name then period (.) then last name @tufts.edu

Not sure if this answers your question or not haha sometimes our usernames for signing into SIS, etc are different
Yes thank you so much! for some reason outlook was telling me that it was my username @tufts.edu, but I think i got it figured out now! Thank you so much!

Yes thank you so much! for some reason outlook was telling me that it was my username @tufts.edu, but I think i got it figured out now! Thank you so much!
Mine did that as well, I think they’re both valid though

So the timeline says that housing info will be emailed to us in May- hopefully that means early may?

So the timeline says that housing info will be emailed to us in May- hopefully that means early may?
I hope so! I'm having sort of a tricky time finding a place for me and my husky 😕 I found one complex in Worcester and one in Framingham that I'm trying to figure out, but both are pricy and seem like a bit of a hike so I'm kind of hoping they'll share a few dog-friendly options

Is there a facebook group for all of you yet? If not, hopefully they make that soon.

There are a lot of housing posts from graduating students right about now, but I'm not sure how they're planning to share all of those listings with you folks. Might be worth reaching out to admissions if you're really struggling to find a place.

Is there a facebook group for all of you yet? If not, hopefully they make that soon.

There are a lot of housing posts from graduating students right about now, but I'm not sure how they're planning to share all of those listings with you folks. Might be worth reaching out to admissions if you're really struggling to find a place.
There is, and everyone has been super friendly so far. I was just sort of late to the game so I think I missed the dog-friendly places that opened up. I'll probably reach out to admissions soon.

Though @sophacles do you need the link to the class page?

The housing info they send out in May is pretty much an online system with a list of Housing posts that are available based on town. Housing is definitely one of the challenges which is even harder if you are looking for dog friendly places. There hopefully will be more postings soon

The housing info they send out in May is pretty much an online system with a list of Housing posts that are available based on town. Housing is definitely one of the challenges which is even harder if you are looking for dog friendly places. There hopefully will be more postings soon
ah, I hope so. that's good to know though, thanks; maybe it'll help me out a bit. historically apartment complexes have been hit or miss for me so i'm a little non-committal on places currently. i'm normally a wing-it kind of person with housing but i'm guessing i'm going to be super stressed 85% of the time next year so i at least want to sort of like the place i go home to.

There is, and everyone has been super friendly so far. I was just sort of late to the game so I think I missed the dog-friendly places that opened up. I'll probably reach out to admissions soon.

Though @sophacles do you need the link to the class page?
I’m on the page, thanks! Just unfortunately haven’t really found a place yet and I’m just starting to get a little panicky

I’m on the page, thanks! Just unfortunately haven’t really found a place yet and I’m just starting to get a little panicky
I don't think I signed on my house until mid June, the housing website usually has a loooooot of options on it so you'll be able to find a place that fits what you're looking for!

You are definitely not alone. I didn't find my current house until last June/July. What I've learned is if you think the place fits for you, message whoever ASAP that you are possibly interested since a bunch of places I was looking at went by order of who showed interest first.