Tufts c/o 2025

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
oos acceptance!! my one interviewer was a lil tough on me about my past grades so i wasn't really expecting this!
so wow. i now have a choice to make between tufts and ohio! since i'm oos for both i need to wait and see til i get my financial aid.
i'm over the moon though. this was my original dream school 😊
congratulations all! <3

Members don't see this ad.

• Love
Reactions: 12 users
OOS accepted!!
Congratulations to everyone that was accepted and waitlisted!! This is my first school I have been accepted to this cycle, it feels surreal.

Reactions: 7 users
Members don't see this ad :)
OOS acceptance! Congrats to everyone accepted and waitlisted!

OS Alternate! Does anyone know where we can find the form they said we needed to fill out in order to keep our place on the alternate list? It says its supposed to be on the portal, but I don't see it.

Reactions: 3 users
OOS acceptance! Super grateful!

OOS alternate!

Reactions: 1 users
OOS acceptance! I will be declining in favor of Cornell so I hope one of you gets the seat. :)

OS Alternate! Does anyone know where we can find the form they said we needed to fill out in order to keep our place on the alternate list? It says its supposed to be on the portal, but I don't see it.
I didn’t see it either... I’m gonna check again tomorrow and if nothing, email!

OOS acceptance! I will be declining in favor of Cornell so I hope one of you gets the seat. :)
Do you mind sharing why you're choosing Cornell over Tufts (if you're comfortable sharing)? I'm trying to choose between the two as well. I'm waiting to see the financial aid packages/scholarships first.

• Love
Reactions: 2 users
I didn’t see it either... I’m gonna check again tomorrow and if nothing, email!
Hi! I just called admissions about this. I was told the reply form wasn't working so they took it down, but they hope to have it back up and running soon. The person I spoke to recommended I continue checking the portal throughout the day. If they continue to have trouble getting the form to work they'll be sending out an email to all alternates.

Do you mind sharing why you're choosing Cornell over Tufts (if you're comfortable sharing)? I'm trying to choose between the two as well. I'm waiting to see the financial aid packages/scholarships first.
My boyfriend was also accepted to Cornell, his top pick, this cycle and we are intending to go to the same school (and he didn't apply to Tufts). I have a particular interest in shelter med and really like Cornell's shelter med program, plus I'm a big fan of what I've seen of their problem based learning so far. I think housing is generally cheaper in Ithaca but I may be remembering incorrectly, and same with horse boarding prices (since I'm bringing my mare with me). So basically, just a lot of personal preference :) If Tufts gave me a better financial aid package and I didn't have personal ties, I would likely choose Tufts over Cornell.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi! I just called admissions about this. I was told the reply form wasn't working so they took it down, but they hope to have it back up and running soon. The person I spoke to recommended I continue checking the portal throughout the day. If they continue to have trouble getting the form to work they'll be sending out an email to all alternates.
hey!! I called as well and they told me the same but that when it was up they would email us!!! good luck to you!!! :)

same with horse boarding prices (since I'm bringing my mare with me)
Not a bad call -- horse boarding here is $$$$$$$ unless you want to board in a crummy, muddy lean-to with no indoor. I used to pay $1200/month for my pony prior to vet school, which is one reason why he is leased out.

• Wow
just wanted to hop on here and wish you guys all luck, i'm an OOS alternate which I'm pretty bummed about since Tufts is my top choice (still very grateful for the opportunity to be an alternate though, don't get me wrong- just frustrated). I'm probably going to stop reading this thread for a while just to save my sanity aha but i just wanted to say congratulations to everyone and i wish you all the best of luck!! It's been fun suffering through this process with y'all these past 3 months and maybe i'll see you guys next year (or by some miracle, this year lol) ❤️

• Care
Reactions: 4 users
Not a bad call -- horse boarding here is $$$$$$$ unless you want to board in a crummy, muddy lean-to with no indoor. I used to pay $1200/month for my pony prior to vet school, which is one reason why he is leased out.
Jeesh! I didn't look far into the Mass prices. That is good to know and makes my decision easier. I currently pay $200/month for well-maintained pasture board that includes hay and care 5 days of the week, which I know I'm not going to find again anywhere else, but I've easily found places under $400 for similar places around Ithaca.

• Wow
My boyfriend was also accepted to Cornell, his top pick, this cycle and we are intending to go to the same school (and he didn't apply to Tufts). I have a particular interest in shelter med and really like Cornell's shelter med program, plus I'm a big fan of what I've seen of their problem based learning so far. I think housing is generally cheaper in Ithaca but I may be remembering incorrectly, and same with horse boarding prices (since I'm bringing my mare with me). So basically, just a lot of personal preference :) If Tufts gave me a better financial aid package and I didn't have personal ties, I would likely choose Tufts over Cornell.
Thanks for answering!

Reactions: 1 user
Ugh I feel this pain on a deep level and once you’ve boarded in a place like that going back to the lean-to is just not an option.

Jeesh! I didn't look far into the Mass prices. That is good to know and makes my decision easier. I currently pay $200/month for well-maintained pasture board that includes hay and care 5 days of the week, which I know I'm not going to find again anywhere else, but I've easily found places under $400 for similar places around Ithaca.
Yeah....not here lol I mean, it’s possible but you’d be doing more of the work.

Yeah....not here lol I mean, it’s possible but you’d be doing more of the work.
Congrats on getting into Tufts! I've seen a bunch of your messages on the forums and know you'd been hoping to get in :)

Congrats on getting into Tufts! I've seen a bunch of your messages on the forums and know you'd been hoping to get in :)
Thank you so much :) have you decided where you’re going yet? :)

Anyone have any info on how institutional aid works? I know for undergrad they do 100% need based, based on FAFSA. Is it the same for the DVM program?

Anyone have any info on how institutional aid works? I know for undergrad they do 100% need based, based on FAFSA. Is it the same for the DVM program?
They have you fill out a form and they look at your Fafsa. If you file for self supporting status you’ll give back tax returns too (5 years worth), it’s all need based.

They have you fill out a form and they look at your Fafsa. If you file for self supporting status you’ll give back tax returns too (5 years worth), it’s all need based.
going off of this, when do we hear about it? Im assuming middle of march or beginning of april

I missed this if it was ever mentioned, but is there a mentorship program at Tufts where upperclassman are paired with incoming first years?

I missed this if it was ever mentioned, but is there a mentorship program at Tufts where upperclassman are paired with incoming first years?
Yes there is! You get paired up with someone in the class above you. Also, people are pretty friendly -- if you want mentorship in a particular area, you can always be asked to be put in touch with someone who shares your interests.

Yes there is! You get paired up with someone in the class above you. Also, people are pretty friendly -- if you want mentorship in a particular area, you can always be asked to be put in touch with someone who shares your interests.
Thank you! Every current student that I’ve spoken with has been so friendly, so happy to hear that you can confirm this too :)

IS acceptance! Now I'm torn between deciding either Tufts or Cornell. Great problem to have, but tough choice!

I went to Cornell for undergrad and am now at Tufts for vet school, if either of you want to PM me I'd be happy to discuss my experience with both schools

hey all, so I am still on the fence between Ohio and Tufts! are there any current Tufts student in this forum that could speak on making that choice?
i don't feel like it's quite.. worth posting on the 'which school forum' -- i'm critically evaluating cost of course, but just.. looking more for what life is like there. campus culture, opportunities to get involved in the wildlife hospital etc. as well as zoos and aquariums in New England. it seems I somehow have a potential mentor lined up from Tufts who agreed to teach me whether I'm at Ohio or Tufts -- it would just be summers only if I went to Ohio. so I should have that opportunity squared away. just really stuck on where to go from there in evaluating.

hey all, so I am still on the fence between Ohio and Tufts! are there any current Tufts student in this forum that could speak on making that choice?
i don't feel like it's quite.. worth posting on the 'which school forum' -- i'm critically evaluating cost of course, but just.. looking more for what life is like there. campus culture, opportunities to get involved in the wildlife hospital etc. as well as zoos and aquariums in New England. it seems I somehow have a potential mentor lined up from Tufts who agreed to teach me whether I'm at Ohio or Tufts -- it would just be summers only if I went to Ohio. so I should have that opportunity squared away. just really stuck on where to go from there in evaluating.
I'm a master's student at the Tufts vet school campus right now, so I can speak to this a bit. Of course, it's COVID, so things are a bit different. Campus culture is actually pretty laid-back for a vet school, and there is usually a lot going on with clubs and events -- but everything is virtual now. But, it's important to remember that it is only a vet school. There aren't other college activities that you can get involved with easily. While the campus is near Worcester, a city, it's not a big. While Boston is nearby, it's not practical to go very often, maybe once or twice a month, and most certainly not on school night (imo). It's also expensive to go into the city, by car or train. I personally like living in the area because it is suburban/rural, but others hate the area precisely because of this.

Getting involved in the wildlife hospital isn't possible right now, due to COVID. Historically, there haven't been paid positions available in the wildlife hospital for 1st and 2nd years, while there are these types of positions available in the other two hospitals. Once you get to clinicals, students from any vet school can do an externship at the wildlife hospital, the same as Tufts students. The zoo connections that are easy to access, according to speaking with Ford, are with Southwick's zoo, and the Mystic Aquarium -- however, most of the other zoos in the area love Tufts students, of course! When I spoke to Ford about this last year, he said that it's hard to work with the New England Aquarium and they don't offer vet-student specific placements or volunteer opportunities, if that is someplace you had your heart set on working with.

If you have any other specific questions about my experience at Tufts, let me know!

(Also, I'm an alternate)

Gonna add a bit to the above! If you like big campus/big city life then North Grafton is an entirely different feel :laugh: We're ~40 minutes from main Tufts campus so it is very secluded and we do miss out on the things that a main campus school would have (big gym, sports events, etc.). Same as above, for me I have no issues with it but I can understand why people wouldn't be a fan. It's actually pretty cheap to go into the city by train, on the weekends there's a $10 all-weekend pass so going to the city and coming home is only $10, my friends and I would go in every few weekends when there were events going on!
There are work study jobs in the wildlife hospital that first and second year students are able to apply for, but spots are limited and you have to qualify for work study for those. I did end up having my selective placement in the wildlife clinic in the spring of first year (which was cut short because of covid). So while spots are limited, there are chances to work in there. The wildlife clinic peeps are all really great and nice, and I'm sure if you wanted to learn more from them you could reach out to them now to chat!
I know you posted in one of the other forums about cost and you said you're thinking about it but I'm going to emphasize that Tufts is expensive. No hiding that! But imo that should be one of the top factors on your list.
I didn't apply to Ohio so I know absolutely nothing about the school, have you looked into what their wildlife options are like? What do you think is keeping you from deciding one school over the other?

I'm a master's student at the Tufts vet school campus right now, so I can speak to this a bit. Of course, it's COVID, so things are a bit different. Campus culture is actually pretty laid-back for a vet school, and there is usually a lot going on with clubs and events -- but everything is virtual now. But, it's important to remember that it is only a vet school. There aren't other college activities that you can get involved with easily. While the campus is near Worcester, a city, it's not a big. While Boston is nearby, it's not practical to go very often, maybe once or twice a month, and most certainly not on school night (imo). It's also expensive to go into the city, by car or train. I personally like living in the area because it is suburban/rural, but others hate the area precisely because of this.

Getting involved in the wildlife hospital isn't possible right now, due to COVID. Historically, there haven't been paid positions available in the wildlife hospital for 1st and 2nd years, while there are these types of positions available in the other two hospitals. Once you get to clinicals, students from any vet school can do an externship at the wildlife hospital, the same as Tufts students. The zoo connections that are easy to access, according to speaking with Ford, are with Southwick's zoo, and the Mystic Aquarium -- however, most of the other zoos in the area love Tufts students, of course! When I spoke to Ford about this last year, he said that it's hard to work with the New England Aquarium and they don't offer vet-student specific placements or volunteer opportunities, if that is someplace you had your heart set on working with.

If you have any other specific questions about my experience at Tufts, let me know!

(Also, I'm an alternate)

Hey! Thank you for answering - it's helpful to know that about New England Aquarium. I don't have my heart set on that -- I actually really like wildlife disease pathology and I think I've got an opportunity established to work with that prof and possibly Tufts and another prof on a project next summer. I do want to be competent in broader areas of wildlife medicine though -- like gray wolf reintroduction is something I'd like to work on as a veterinarian one day etc so getting exposure to all kinds of different environments is sort of what I'm going for.

Gonna add a bit to the above! If you like big campus/big city life then North Grafton is an entirely different feel :laugh: We're ~40 minutes from main Tufts campus so it is very secluded and we do miss out on the things that a main campus school would have (big gym, sports events, etc.). Same as above, for me I have no issues with it but I can understand why people wouldn't be a fan. It's actually pretty cheap to go into the city by train, on the weekends there's a $10 all-weekend pass so going to the city and coming home is only $10, my friends and I would go in every few weekends when there were events going on!
There are work study jobs in the wildlife hospital that first and second year students are able to apply for, but spots are limited and you have to qualify for work study for those. I did end up having my selective placement in the wildlife clinic in the spring of first year (which was cut short because of covid). So while spots are limited, there are chances to work in there. The wildlife clinic peeps are all really great and nice, and I'm sure if you wanted to learn more from them you could reach out to them now to chat!
I know you posted in one of the other forums about cost and you said you're thinking about it but I'm going to emphasize that Tufts is expensive. No hiding that! But imo that should be one of the top factors on your list.
I didn't apply to Ohio so I know absolutely nothing about the school, have you looked into what their wildlife options are like? What do you think is keeping you from deciding one school over the other?

Thank you for all of this insight! The deals on the train sound pretty great and I'm glad there are some opportunities in the wildlife hospital. I'm not sure what's going to happen with work study yet -- guess I'll have to see. regarding commuting and such. I don't mind taking the train, and even if driving I commute 1.5 hrs to an externship right now and I used to commute 2.5 hrs to grad school (5 hr round trip days) 😅 so I'm cool with an hour. sounds nice.

I have lived in both urban and rural areas and I've been equally as happy! I have a slight preference toward urban, but a much stronger pull to the ocean, which would only be like an hour or two away. I learned to surf in southern Maine and grew up in WNY where I'm surrounded by two of the great lakes so one weird factor, which is so strange even to me, is proximity to 'big water' lol. I have no clue why but it does seem to play a big role in my mental health. I also love the idea of being able to get to Boston. I know that probably sounds totally out there but people have all sorts of things that they feel strongly connected to; relationships, religion, etc.. I guess my thing is water.

I have looked at the wildlife options at Ohio and the curriculum seems comparable. My friend there has taken two zoological and wildlife electives there where I think Tufts has three? So it's not a huge difference. My favorite part about Ohio is the flexibility of the 4th year so I wouldn't need to stay in one place, and since I've already got something vaguely established with a prof at Tufts I am 80% sure I'd be content with just spending summers there since that's when I'd want to surf and such anyway. That all said 'n done as discussed I think on the other forum, I do want to live in New England and this seems like the opportunity to make that big move despite the debt. Having been repaying my grad school loans I 100% intend to continue income-based repayment (unless I do make it big as a pathologist) so it'd just be saving for that massive tax at the end of those 25 years.

The tougher part is weirdly family, even though they definitely can't pay off the difference or anything like that and it really isn't up to them lol. 😅 but I guess a big influence in my family's perspective on it is that I'm first-generation born here. and in their tone of voice, 'they had the guts to leave their home country and start over with absolutely nothing in their second language and I'm too afraid to take on some debt?' my dad does work in economics and sees debt as just a recurring payment like for a car etc until those big taxes hit. My mom sees Ohio as like... me officially forfeiting all my hopes and dreams and abandoning my chance to live close to Boston. I guess what it boils down to is what is 40-50k worth. But I have to admit the family pressure is absolutely crushing and I almost wish I hadn't told anyone.

Sooo detaching myself from that, I'd really love to visit the cities at least and get a feel for what to expect. Because I guess no matter what choice I make I'll be disappointing someone so at this point in the game I really just want to make the choice that'll make me happy.

Hey! Does anyone know if you need to pay for a parking permit as a student per semester? I used to at Tufts undergrad and it was soooo expensive but there's definitely more parking out in Grafton...

Hey! Does anyone know if you need to pay for a parking permit as a student per semester? I used to at Tufts undergrad and it was soooo expensive but there's definitely more parking out in Grafton...
You only need to buy the parking permit once per year. It’s very cheap. Currently only $15

Hey @aquaticanimals8 I peeped your name, I’m also interested in aquatic animal medicine. Do you know of specific aquatic animal medicine opportunities at tufts?

Hey @aquaticanimals8 I peeped your name, I’m also interested in aquatic animal medicine. Do you know of specific aquatic animal medicine opportunities at tufts?
Hey! There are no specific aquatic programs through the school unless you reach out for internships or research (I think), but I am also super interested in wildlife med. Although, when I spoke to my interviewer, she really said I can get any aquatic experiences around if I put some effort in (new england aquarium, zoos, and there's a ton of research labs and even rehab places in the northeast). Tufts has some very prominent aquatic vet alumni that we could probably use as contacts as well. Also, I'll probably do aquavet one summer! Not sure if this helps you much, but thought I would share what I know!

Hey! There are no specific aquatic programs through the school unless you reach out for internships or research (I think), but I am also super interested in wildlife med. Although, when I spoke to my interviewer, she really said I can get any aquatic experiences around if I put some effort in (new england aquarium, zoos, and there's a ton of research labs and even rehab places in the northeast). Tufts has some very prominent aquatic vet alumni that we could probably use as contacts as well. Also, I'll probably do aquavet one summer! Not sure if this helps you much, but thought I would share what I know!
Thank you!!!

Current students: do you know of any links to a virtual/ video tour? I cant really find any pictures of the inside school/hopsital but would love to see the facility. Or, would anyone be interested in making a little video tour? Im just trying to decide between Cornell and Tufts and its hard without knowing what the facilities look like.

Current students: do you know of any links to a virtual/ video tour? I cant really find any pictures of the inside school/hopsital but would love to see the facility. Or, would anyone be interested in making a little video tour? Im just trying to decide between Cornell and Tufts and its hard without knowing what the facilities look like.
Campus Tour Bit of a long video, but our admissions director made this and it goes around the entire campus! (also big shoutout to Percy at the 6 minute mark, he's the cutest)

Campus Tour Bit of a long video, but our admissions director made this and it goes around the entire campus! (also big shoutout to Percy at the 6 minute mark, he's the cutest)
Yeah I saw that one but I’d really love to see inside the hospital

Yeah I saw that one but I’d really love to see inside the hospital
I'm sure if you email admissions they will put something together to send you! I know it recently had a renovation and when I was able to stop in it was a super nice facility.

Do any current students have experience with the Masters of Conservation Medicine? Watching the tour video made me curious, and it looks like something I'd be interested in, but is it completely different from the vet school? Is it something that I could do a dual degree with? And if I do want to pursue that, do you have to decide/apply to before your first year? Sorry if this has all been answered before on here!