Turn down a MD acceptance for an MS

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MSADVICENEEDED

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was accepted to an md program off the waitlist at a school I really don't want to go to (for a lot of reasons, location, school, ect.). I know, looking back, that I should not have applied there, but I can not go back and undo it and now I am accepted. As a backup plan while waiting to hear from schools, I also applied to some MS programs that had either linkages or some type of affiliation with their medical schools and was accepted to one that I really really like.

Would I be crazy to turn down the MD acceptance for the MS program? Would I be throwing away any chance of getting into an MD program after the MS?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Yes, you will be blacklisted by the other medical schools and your path to the MD will be virtually closed. Take the MD offer...

@gonnif

Reactions: 10 users
but I can not go back and undo it and now I am accepted

Right, so now you need to suck it up and attend the medical school you applied to.

Would I be crazy to turn down the MD acceptance for the MS program?

Yes.

Would I be throwing away any chance of getting into an MD program after the MS?

Most likely yes.

Attend the school, try to have a good attitude and make the most of the 4 years, go elsewhere for residency.
Declining the acceptance to get an MS (which seems like a waste of time and money if you don't 'need' it) and try to get into 'better' schools later = bad idea.

Reactions: 5 users
Members don't see this ad :)
This is why it's imperative to not apply to medical schools you would not want to go to. If the MS program doesn't offer direct linkage - and the only MD schools that do, I believe, are Temple and Drexel (for URMs only) - then go to the MD program, if you want to be a doctor. Medical schools have more qualified applicants than spots, and are looking for reasons to drop applicants for not showing dedication to medicine. Obtaining the privilege of an MD acceptance and then declining it, yet expecting a "better" school to accept you at a later cycle shows flakiness and a lack of responsibility and maturity. On subsequent cycles, med schools will reject you for it.

Reactions: 2 users
You shouldnt have applied somewhere you didn't see yourself going to. If you were to apply again, you would not only be a reapplicant but they would all see you already got into a school. Take the MD acceptance and run.

Reactions: 1 user
Just take the acceptance and matriculate into that school.
Linkage or affiliation means nothing, especially affiliation.

Turning down an acceptance is by far the biggest mistake a premed can make

every applicant at every school is track via AMCAS ID
this tracking is maintained year to year
every status of an applicant is track
status of accepted is open to all schools and therefore will always be part of your AMCAS ID
medical schools look for motivation, commitment and achievement
when you apply, get accepted and then turn it down it raise major questions of motivation and commitment
why should a medical school adcom spend time, energy and effort when you have already shown major flaws

Pretty much summarized what I was going to say. Last two lines are the biggest concern in my opinion.

"A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush"

You got into medical school, which is a lot more that most people can say. I know that it isn't your first choice, but you should definitely run with it. As other posters have stated, it will look very bad to turn down your acceptance and try to reapply. You might be able to get away with it on a DO application where they don't have access to your AMCAS, but I wouldn't bank on it.

Don't make the mistake of turning down a sure thing in hopes of possibly getting into another school. This may be the only acceptance you ever get. Accept that you may not get the thing you want most and work hard to get into a residency that you want.

Reactions: 1 users
Honestly? yes, you should go with the MS and give your spot to someone that REALLY wants to be a doctor.

Sent from my SM-G950U using SDN mobile

Reactions: 15 users
Can the colossal mistake of turning down an MD acceptance ever be redeemed? Say, if you have stellar ECs like military service and a PhD, and it's been a full decade or more since you've turned the acceptance down.

I was accepted to an md program off the waitlist at a school I really don't want to go to (for a lot of reasons, location, school, ect.). I know, looking back, that I should not have applied there, but I can not go back and undo it and now I am accepted. As a backup plan while waiting to hear from schools, I also applied to some MS programs that had either linkages or some type of affiliation with their medical schools and was accepted to one that I really really like.

Would I be crazy to turn down the MD acceptance for the MS program? Would I be throwing away any chance of getting into an MD program after the MS?

What school is that bad, which you would forego becoming a DOCTOR????!!!

Kiss you medical career goodbye if you turn down that MD accept, unless it was from CNU.

Members don't see this ad :)
Turning down an acceptance is by far the biggest mistake a premed can make

every applicant at every school is track via AMCAS ID
this tracking is maintained year to year
every status of an applicant is track
status of accepted is open to all schools and therefore will always be part of your AMCAS ID
medical schools look for motivation, commitment and achievement
when you apply, get accepted and then turn it down it raise major questions of motivation and commitment
why should a medical school adcom spend time, energy and effort when you have already shown major flaws
You would need an extraordinary reason to turn down a medical school acceptance; perhaps severe but transitory health problems - like car crashes - might be sufficient reasons. Even then, it's better to ask for a deferral.

Gonna be somewhat of a contrarian. Ask yourself why you hate the med school you were accepted to so badly, and why you love the other one so much. Are you sure these feelings are justified? If you're absolutely certain of how you feel about, are you ABSOLUTELY 100000000% SURE that the MS program will offer guaranteed linkage? Not just an interview or favor, but admission? The answer better be "yes and it's in writing." One other thing to bear in mind- no school is perfect, be sure you're not putting it on a pedestal. You'll be disappointed when you get there, i guarantee it.

For turning down an acceptance: What you call crazy I call stupid.

What do you call a pre-med that got accepted to a top MD program and another premed who got accepted to a lower-tier-fully accredited MD program?

A Medical Student.

Many dreams shatter not getting an acceptance. Take the honor and stop being selfish so when the time comes you can be the best damn doctor this world has seen.

What the hell......
IS WRONG WITH YOU?

OP are you currently in med school?

Any MD school, equals MD. Take the MD. Doesn't matter if it is in Alaska. It's a school and you will be MD.

Take the Masters and pass that MD to someone else...

Without knowing anything else I can say you almost certainly are going into medicine for the wrong reasons and will be unhappy in the field.

Reactions: 2 users
I sincerely hope it turns out for him that he takes the MS and by doing so gets his choice of med school so it silences most of the ridiculous arguments made against his preferred choice of path to obtain the same thing you all want to, a medical degree. I'm not sure how anything of the situation he explained would make him less deserving of being a doctor or be less motivated or most anything else you inferred of it. And if your mentality really reflects that of the recruitment teams of any university that doesn't make it any less ridiculous...

I sincerely hope it turns out for him that he takes the MS and by doing so gets his choice of med school so it silences most of the ridiculous arguments made against his preferred choice of path to obtain the same thing you all want to, a medical degree. I'm not sure how anything of the situation he explained would make him less deserving of being a doctor or be less motivated or most anything else you inferred of it. And if your mentality really reflects that of the recruitment teams of any university that doesn't make it any less ridiculous...
Two things:
1) Thank you for reviving a necro thread o_O
2) Get into medical school first. I once had your mentality as a pre-med. Now...a lot of my views have changed

Reactions: 3 users
Can the colossal mistake of turning down an MD acceptance ever be redeemed? Say, if you have stellar ECs like military service and a PhD, and it's been a full decade or more since you've turned the acceptance down.

Yes I’ve seen it happen. There was a decade between app cycles, a lot of stellar military service, and all the prereqs were retaken with a 4.0 and an excellent mcat. But that is an n=1.

Yes I’ve seen it happen. There was a decade between app cycles, a lot of stellar military service, and all the prereqs were retaken with a 4.0 and an excellent mcat. But that is an n=1.

If I recall, n=2. There was a poster here a few years ago who initially applied late in the season with a weak MCAT, then retook the MCAT in the winter for a really high score. S/he received one "disappointing" acceptance from a low tier school that cycle and thought s/he could do better next time. S/he applied to a completely new (mostly top tier) school list and a miracle happened...

But that is the exception, NOT the rule.

It’s pure premed arrogance and ego. You can achieve any speciality from any US MD as long as you’re doing well. If I knew someone did this I would not accept them to any medical school unless there were real extenuating circumstances for them rejecting an acceptance

If I recall, n=2. There was a poster here a few years ago who initially applied late in the season with a weak MCAT, then retook the MCAT in the winter for a really high score. S/he received one "disappointing" acceptance from a low tier school that cycle and thought s/he could do better next time. S/he applied to a completely new (mostly top tier) school list and a miracle happened...

But that is the exception, NOT the rule.
Apparently, one can sometimes shoot off one's own foot and still win the race. Not a recommended strategy though.