'Twas the night before VMCAS was due...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

ImaJerseyGirl

WesternU CVM c/o 2014
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
... and I sat up well into the night, checkin my inbox and VMCAS status to see if my 3rd and final eLOR was submitted. After a week of calls, emails, and stopping by in person, I am going to be pretty f***ing ticked if I throw hundreds of dollars away after getting my stuff done early, because the eLOR misses the cut off. I know this is not the attitude to have, but I am just frustrated and stressed out! I trust my evaluator and I'm telling myself that the eLOR will be on time, but man am I starting to freak out a little!!!
 
Not the attitude to have? In all honesty, that would have been my attitude weeks ago!!

It will probably sound horrible, but I asked 4 people for LORs. That way if someone flaked (and one did), I was still ok. It wasn't that I don't trust my LORs, I wasn't willing to run that risk. Ironically, the one who still hasn't submitted it was not the one I thought would flake.

I feel for you. Count to 100, run 5 miles, drink yourself stupid- do whatever you gotta to relax. Too late to get worked up about it now
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
You could call tomorrow and cry. I ended up doing that... lol.

Not this cycle, but the last time I applied. I didn't ask her this time.

True true! What was I thinking! Don't ever count crying out until the very last moment- especially since VMCAS just sent the LOR deadline reminder email two seconds ago.
 
I know how you feel. Last application cycle my evaluator submitted 10 minutes before it was due!! I didn't ask him to write one again :meanie: Just keep harassing them
 
FYI, VMCAS will actually accept evaluations until the 15th, though it is at the schools discretion as to whether or not to accept the late evaluations.
 
Thank you...
I asked 4. My DVM got it in in July... holy hell never expected that. Research advior, early august. I'm waiting on this one and asked another professor, he agreed then kinda blew me off... he's been out I know he has health issues so I didn't push the issue.
I was really counting on this one! I will drink myself stupid next weekend. For now I have a T- 5 days until my first biochem exam to study for.
Never a dull moment, huh?
 
NCSU, MSU, and Iowa (I'm pretty sure) require them on October 2nd. Those were my three early ones.

Oh- thanks for the crying tip!
 
Not the VMCAS email I was hoping to see....

"Greetings Applicants,

The deadline for evaluations is Friday, October 2nd, 12:00 Noon Eastern Time. Anything received after that will be considered late. VMCAS will continue to accept evaluations until 11:59pm Eastern Time on Oct. 15, 2009, however, late evaluations are handled at the schools’ discretion.

You can submit your application before all your evaluations are complete; however, it is your responsibility to follow up with any evaluators whose evaluations are still outstanding. To check the status of your evaluations, log into your VMCAS application and go to “Evaluations” in the Status section on the right side of the screen.

VMCAS will not send any evaluations postmarked after October 15, 2009."

That is somewhat comforting...
 
I feel your pain, one of my evaluators (the vet elor, yikes) hasn't finished hers yet. I should've asked more people. I really regret it now. I've reminded her about it and I hope she pulls through tomorrow. Good luck with yours!
 
For now I have a T- 5 days until my first biochem exam to study for.
Never a dull moment, huh?

i hope your biochem professor and first exam are both better than mine. worst. professor. ever. i love the material. hate the class, and hate the exam we just took, even more. good luck with yours and the eLOR!!!
 
It's in!!! 11:01 PM! Mini-panic attack over. :laugh:

Thanks riley, hope your class works out. Our professor is a really a great guy, very approachable, helpful, etc. But he does really grill us on the exams so I've heard. (AH!)
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
But...is this snail mail? I should have done a final proof-read! I was just so excited to press that little naughty submit button. I still have one eLOR out there, bent on making me chew off my fingernails.
 
Just pressed the submit button. All week I've been perfectly calm, but now that it's out of my hands all I feel is adrenaline and worry. I thought it was supposed to be the other way around :laugh: I think a sleep buffer is necessary...
 
dullflame - is that Catty Winehouse? 😛

Haha, yeah. It's from a site called takkoda.com, which has more animal pictures. I found it hilarious. The cat's picture was just airbrushed, though, so it wasn' t harmed. 😀


And, sigh, it looks like I'll be calling my last evaluator tomorrow morning.
 
Yes..it is snail mail. I submitted my VMCAS on September 12th. Western sent me an e-mail yesterday saying that they had received my VMCAS. 🙂

Really? Snail mail? I was just wondering how VMCAS sent out the applications, when I read this thread. I submitted my application at like 1:00 am on October 1st and it says on my status page they were mailed yesterday (October 1st). On my status page for Iowa, it says they have already received my VMCAS application. Is it possible that they e-mail the applications and then send hard copies through the mail? I doubt that with everyone submitting at the last minute (raises hand) they are that efficient at mailing them out so quickly. Even if it was mailed yesterday, Iowa wouldn't have received it yet. Does anyone know where we can find out the process of the VMCAS application mailing process? I just think it would be cool to know. 👍 Good luck to everyone!
 
Really? Snail mail? I was just wondering how VMCAS sent out the applications, when I read this thread. I submitted my application at like 1:00 am on October 1st and it says on my status page they were mailed yesterday (October 1st). On my status page for Iowa, it says they have already received my VMCAS application. Is it possible that they e-mail the applications and then send hard copies through the mail? I doubt that with everyone submitting at the last minute (raises hand) they are that efficient at mailing them out so quickly. Even if it was mailed yesterday, Iowa wouldn't have received it yet. Does anyone know where we can find out the process of the VMCAS application mailing process? I just think it would be cool to know. 👍 Good luck to everyone!

it is my understanding that the schools are notified electronically that your application is being mailed to them then they receive it via snail mail. at least that's what i was told by two of the schools after i submitted mine (that they had received electronic notification about my application going out in the specified shipment and then i received email notification from 3 schools when they actually received the vmcas application).
 
Last year my advisor had from April-October to write it, but he had left the school, so I couldn't even drop in and bug him. I ended up having to get his work and cell numbers from other students (who had had problems with him being on time) and after horror stories about people not getting into med school bc of him not turning it in and asked 2 emergency people to write me ones the night before. In the end, he submitted it with less than 30 minutes until the deadline, but I was a total wreck because of it and then I had to email the 2 professors who had given up their night and morning writing ones for me and tell them he pulled through with 30 minutes to go. It was HORRIBLE. You have every right to be frustrated.