Two anesthesiologists murdered

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
One was practicing anesthesiology, the other pain medicine. If it were profession related, there is a 99% chance it was due to pain medicine, not anesthesiology.

Reactions: 2 users
One was practicing anesthesiology, the other pain medicine. If it were profession related, there is a 99% chance it was due to pain medicine, not anesthesiology.
From the looks of it. It's was not a chance encounter.

I have had pain friends literally have disgruntled patients waiting in the parking after business hours for them to walk out. Loaded guns angry asking for pain med prescriptions. It's quite scary. Police obviously involved for them.

Safety can be an issue.

Members don't see this ad :)
Damn.
One of my hometown family med docs got shot right in the exam room after he would not refill a patient's meds. He survived thankfully.

From the looks of it. It's was not a chance encounter.

I have had pain friends literally have disgruntled patients waiting in the parking after business hours for them to walk out. Loaded guns angry asking for pain med prescriptions. It's quite scary. Police obviously involved for them.

Safety can be an issue.

Got to determine if you're a wolf, sheep or sheepdog.

I suggest obtaining a CCW using a Glock 30. Solves alot of problems.

Got to determine if you're a wolf, sheep or sheepdog.

I suggest obtaining a CCW using a Glock 30. Solves alot of problems.

Typical. Thinks everything can be solved with a Glock.

Many here really like our Springfield XD, S&W Bodyguard, and no one argues Sig isnt a superior weapon.

Pretty much can't go wrong these days. The guns are all very reliable from all major brands. I am going to get the Springfield XD mod.2 in 45, subcompact sometime before their awesome mag rebate expires.

Typical. Thinks everything can be solved with a Glock.

Many here really like our Springfield XD, S&W Bodyguard, and no one argues Sig isnt a superior weapon.

I have a S+W 9mm weapon. I like that as well but its not as concealed.

Best current value is by far the S&W shield or bodyguard after their mail in rebate.

Last edited:
For those of you out there who don't own a gun and would prefer avoiding a lot of time and effort in gun ownership I recommend a Ruger GP100 loaded with .38 special plus P hollow points. This is the type of gun you can shoot once per year or once every 2 years; the odds are it will go "bang" every time you pull the trigger even with 10 year old ammo in the chamber. Always remember to keep the gun in a secure location and follow the rules of safe gun ownership. The revolver has been around 120+ years and this Ruger will outlive you due to its rugged stainless steel construction. Sure, it's not fancy and doesn't hold 18-20 rounds but 6 rounds plus your cell phone are all you need for home defense.

tuger5inchcomp4inch.jpg

Reactions: 1 users
I keep this bad boy right by my bed at night along with a quality flashlight. Yes, I have dozens more secured in my gun safe but this stainless steel revolver is really all I need.

wm_6420119.jpg

Members don't see this ad :)
I personally use my strongly worded rhetoric, logic, and reason.

Thepenismightier.

If you want to be safe when you walk out the office and there are patients wanting to kill you if you will prescribe them their meds, nothing wrong with going Rambo. XD

Attachments

• stYq2aH.gif
    stYq2aH.gif
    1.4 MB · Views: 113
I personally use my strongly worded rhetoric, logic, and reason.

Thepenismightier.

I bet those Anesthesiologists wish they had that simple Ruger GP100 when that maniac invaded their luxury apartment. But, I guess they could have used the ball point pen to stick the guy's carotid artery.

Fortunately, that type of maniac home invader wouldn't last long in Texas or Florida. God Bless America and the second amendment.

Of course, our prayers go out to the deceased family members and no one should feel threatened in their own home.

Reactions: 7 users
Haha, my co-resident always nagging me to get my concealed carry, but you don't really need that to have a weapon in your home. I personally also have a S&W 9mm if the strong words don't work.

Which state do you live in Blade?

Massachusetts Law requires firearm owners to be licensed through their local Police Department or the Massachusetts State Police if no local licensing authority is available. A license is required by state law for buying firearms and ammunition. An applicant must have passed a State approved firearm safety course before applying for a license.

All applications, interviews, fees, and fingerprinting are done at the local Police Department then sent electronically to the Massachusetts Criminal History Board for the mandatory background checks and processing. All approved applicants will receive their license from the issuing Police Department. All licensing information is stored by the Criminal History Board. Non residents who are planning on carrying in the state must apply for a temporary license to carry (LTC) through the State Police before their travel.

Gun laws in Massachusetts - Wikipedia

I don't know much about guns, but what about a shotgun for home defense? I'm thinking a shotgun would be good because as a buddy once told me you don't have to be as precise in your aim in the heat of the moment with a shotgun.

I don't know much about guns, but what about a shotgun for home defense? I'm thinking a shotgun would be good because as a buddy once told me you don't have to be as precise in your aim in the heat of the moment with a shotgun.

Sure, everyone should own a shotgun. I own a nice one. But, it's my Ruger I keep next to me at night.;) All firearms do require some training and basic understanding of function. IMHO, nothing is simpler, easier and more reliable than a revolver like the GP100.

If you choose a shotgun then you need time and training with it. Ditto for that 9mm semi-automatic.

If you aren't a gun enthusiast or even dislike guns then a Ruger Gp100 is a good fit. Alternatively, you can head out into the woods and practice firing that shotgun.

For the novice K.I.S.S. is a great rule to follow regarding firearms.

Sig P320 is my does it all. My EDC is a LC9s for concealed carry. Bedside stand has a Sig 2022 .40. Yeah, I like Sig.

Reactions: 1 user
That's an awful story to read about.

As for the concealed weapon, I feel if you're going to carry for your protection, you have to have already made the decision that you will shoot and take someone's life prior to being in that situation.... As in, shoot someone if you legitimately feel your life is threatened, and then live with the consequences. Whether that be constant legal proceedings, threats from the attacker's family, etc.

the decision on being willing to shoot has to be made prior to you having to pull and discharge the weapon. If you're not willing to do that, you're only gaining a false sense of security.

If you break into my home when I'm there, one of us is getting a bullet. I'm not going down like that. I have a funny story about my friend who was home randomly after hitting the gym when he took an afternoon off. He's naked, some gym bimbo is in shower, he's looking for his underwear when he looks up at the security monitor that he turned on to see if the mail guy came yet and he sees some dude walking up his main stairs 50" away. He actually yelled out that he had already called the police and if he made it to the top of the stairs he was going to blow his head off. Fortunately the dude bolted. He was unarmed, didn't call the police, and was caught literally with his pants down. He hit the panic button after and locked himself in the bathroom. Lucky it was just some punk who thought he'd do a quick robbery of a nice house that left the security system left off.

--
Il Destriero

As a non gun owner but father of two young kids I'm very concerned about the kids or their friends later on getting ahold of any gun I had for protection.

I already have a safe in my master bedroom bolted to the floor that could easily hold a firearm but I'm worried that if my wife or I needed it in the middle of the night it would take too long to get out of the safe. Ideally I'd have a shotgun easily accessible to me but out of reach of the kids. That's doable now but not once they are older.

most of Boston is generally very safe and even the once bad parts are gentrified but that particular part of the city is still risky and has some violent crime

There are small handgun safes that are easily accessible quickly. I have one with a Glock .40 (23 gen 4 for the gun guys) with crimson trace laser grips ready to go. No kid could get into it and takes just a second to open.

Ruger GP100 is indestructible and a good recommendation.

Classic SDN anesthesia for this thread to turn to guns and home defense. Like the way you guys think.

Classic SDN anesthesia for this thread to turn to guns and home defense. Like the way you guys think.
i don't.

1. go live somewhere safer.
2. get some decent locks and a dog.
3. dispense with John Wayne fantasy.

by the way - why can't guns have a finger print reader so they can only be fired by the registered owner?

Reactions: 5 users
I was reading this thread and was like.. how did this murder of 2 anesthesiologist turn into a gun thread?

It's a "home defense" thread because those Anesthesiologists were robbed and murdered in their own home. I have no issues with those that hate firearms but maybe, just maybe, they needed some kind of plan for home defense.

main-qimg-9c982e24c2194a59f9b5c810f00be763-c

Buy a taser. If you think you need something stronger than pepper spray, a taser should be your next option. A taser will disrupt the intruder's body communication system. When this happens, the intruder will become immobile for a short period of time.[3]When used properly, a taser should allow you to get away from an intruder safely. Tasers are not allowed to be used in a number of states including Hawaii, New York, New Jersey, Massachusetts, and Rhode Island. Check with your state laws before you purchase and/or use a taser to protect your property. Other states limit the use of tasers to homes and to people with valid permits.[4]
  • Tasers come in many forms and each one will be used differently; therefore, before using any taser, make sure you receive training and practice with your weapon. The improper use of a taser may cause you to get injured.
How to Defend Your Property Against an Intruder

i don't.

by the way - why can't guns have a finger print reader so they can only be fired by the registered owner?

We agree here. My guns would only be used to buy me time until the police arrive to deal with the situation. I need to hold off the intruder for maybe 3-5 minutes assuming my alarm system hasn't been compromised. I have no John Wayne fantasy which is why I choose a simple 6 shot revolver as my emergency weapon instead of my AR15, 9mm carbine, dozens of semi-auto pistols or even my combat shotgun.

Home defense in the USA is serious business and I totally agree that non gun owners should look towards security systems and a family dog like I posted above. But, I do think that it is my Constitutional right to own and carry firearms. I choose to exercise that right with a slew of weapons for my home a few concealed carry handguns.
I have made my wife take a gun safety course and get her concealed carry permit as well. I have purchased her several "female" firearms which she has gained proficiency with at the range.

Would I shoot a home invader with one of my guns? Absolutely. I believe in Jesus Christ and the value of human life. I think all human life is extremely valuable and I would never intentionally do another person grave harm unless it was absolutely necessary. But, if I believe the lives of my family or myself are at risk then I will do everything possible to protect them including taking the life of an intruder with my firearms.

" A person who unlawfully and by force enters or attempts to enter another’s home or vehicle is furthermore presumed to be doing so with the intent to commit an unlawful act involving force or violence."

Reactions: 3 users
The alleged murderer in Boston had a knife and a BB gun in his possession. If the female Anesthesiologist simply had a revolver to defend herself the story may have had a better ending:

home-defense-arsenal-upgrades-661x496.jpg

From the sound of the story. The keys to apartment were hanging on the OUTSIDE OF THE APARTMENT.

It was an sneak attack. Just imagine u are just putting keys into the door to open it and someone comes from behind to rob u.

No gun ready and arm on u can protect u from this incidence.

Suspect was former security guard. So obviously knew the place and likely been in this apartment before. He knew what he was going after.

Bottom line. Do not flaunt ur jewelry. Do not invite people into ur home and have ur stuff out.

That's how NFL young player Sean taylor got murder at home in 2007. Suspects were at his home for a party a few weeks earlier and saw the amount of cash he kept in his home. So they knew what they were robbing.

It appears the owners of the $2 million luxury unit got complacent about security. They assumed the building was safe. Here is what I could dig up:

Property records show that Field paid $1.94 million for the 2,025-square-foot penthouse on July 17, 2013. The apartment is part of the 148-unit Macallen Building.

In 2014, Bolaños paid $710,000 for a two-bedroom condominium unit across the street at 150 Dorchester Ave., property records show. The district attorney said she was living with Field.

The Macallen is one of two buildings in the Court Square condominium complex, which includes a glass-and-red-brick structure at the corner of Dorchester Avenue and Broadway. Trustees from the Court Square Press Condo Association released a statement Monday, expressing shock at the killings.

“There are no words that can fully convey our sadness for the families of both victims,” the statement said.

Current and former residents described tight security staffed 24 hours a day. The complex did not have doormen but employed a concierge service that had employees in the lobby who controlled access to the buildings. Residents could also enter the building through the secure parking garage.

Palladion Services provided the concierge service until Feb. 18, when the complex switched to a new company. It could not be determined what precipitated the change. The new company, Highbridge Concierge, calls itself a premium residential management company.

Its founder, Patrick J. Knight, declined on Monday to discuss the complex’s security.

Backpack full of jewelry discovered at South Boston murder scene - The Boston Globe

I still disagree that a handgun wouldn't have helped in this situation. We don't know exactly how it all went down and if Field or Bolanos had 1-2 minutes to get a gun. Obviously, he had time to TEXT a friend so I assume a handgun would have been more useful than a text to a friend.

AfewGood357.jpg

What does Jesus have to do with this?

"And lo, Jesus of Nazareth doth proclaim: therily thou shalt bust a cap in any who approaches your lavish estate with unknown intentions. Amen."

Blade, I get what you were saying, you can be a Christian and a gun owner, but it WAS kind of a non-sequitur.

Reactions: 3 users
i don't.

This is a much more useful response than, "Boohoo, what a terrible tragedy. How could this happen? Blah blah blah.....".

I think they were living in a place that is considered "safe". I'm sure that building is not a crime infested hovel.

But I agree locks and a dog are also good ideas.

I love me a SDN gun thread as much as the next gun-totin' real 'merican, but I do feel a bit vaguely off about turning this particular thread into one.

1 is maybe a good answer for people with money, but it isn't a good answer to most people.

2 I totally agree with.

3 is weird, I agree there are some gun owners with delusions of kitchen combat grandeur, but honestly, anyone who owns a gun for the purpose of self defense needs to think, in advance, about how they will react to dangerous confrontations. It's the only responsible thing to do. Is that imagining/thinking, scenario analysis and discussion, consideration of risk and consequence, deserving of the term "fantasizing"? No. It's responsible mental preparation for the very short moment when the person will be forced to make a life altering decision.

Because such systems are unreliable when they need to work.

How many times has the fingerprint sensor on your phone or the scrub machine or drug locker needed a couple tries to work? And those are ideal conditions.

Now add stress, varying grip strength on the firearm, varying grip angle, cold hands, hot hands, sweaty hands, bloody hands, an attacker actively trying to remove your hands from the gun ...

It's trivially easy to see why these systems are wholly inappropriate, and a silly fantasy from the gun control side who know nothing about guns and have no objective other than to make firearms more costly, less reliable, more difficult to use, and less attractive to own.

To say nothing of the added cost and complexity.

There is a reason why police and military don't use such devices, and why the police are always exempted when laws are attempted to create a biometric or RFID requirement. Because the bottom line is that they need their guns to fire when they need them to, and not later, after a couple extra tries and some troubleshooting.

This is not an issue that can be solved with newer or better technology. Biometric/RFID "safeties" are simply ways to break firearms and make them unsuitable for their intended use.

I love me a SDN gun thread as much as the next gun-totin' real 'merican, but I do feel a bit vaguely off about turning this particular thread into one.

1 is maybe a good answer for people with money, but it isn't a good answer to most people.

2 I totally agree with.

3 is weird, I agree there are some gun owners with delusions of kitchen combat grandeur, but honestly, anyone who owns a gun for the purpose of self defense needs to think, in advance, about how they will react to dangerous confrontations. It's the only responsible thing to do. Is that imagining/thinking, scenario analysis and discussion, consideration of risk and consequence, deserving of the term "fantasizing"? No. It's responsible mental preparation for the very short moment when the person will be forced to make a life altering decision.

Because such systems are unreliable when they need to work.

How many times has the fingerprint sensor on your phone or the scrub machine or drug locker needed a couple tries to work? And those are ideal conditions.

Now add stress, varying grip strength on the firearm, varying grip angle, cold hands, hot hands, sweaty hands, bloody hands, an attacker actively trying to remove your hands from the gun ...

It's trivially easy to see why these systems are wholly inappropriate, and a silly fantasy from the gun control side who know nothing about guns and have no objective other than to make firearms more costly, less reliable, more difficult to use, and less attractive to own.

To say nothing of the added cost and complexity.

There is a reason why police and military don't use such devices, and why the police are always exempted when laws are attempted to create a biometric or RFID requirement. Because the bottom line is that they need their guns to fire when they need them to, and not later, after a couple extra tries and some troubleshooting.

This is not an issue that can be solved with newer or better technology. Biometric/RFID "safeties" are simply ways to break firearms and make them unsuitable for their intended use.

Pgg,

This thread is about why these two MDs got murdered in their own LUXURY $2 million apartment in Boston. Was it drug related? Was it a simple robbery that went wrong? Or, are there "maniacs" out there looking to do us (the upper middle class) harm? Let's face it certain individuals in liberal cities with strict gun laws can be viewed as easy targets.

Owning a firearm isn't the central theme of this thread but perhaps, it's something we all need to consider on a personal level. Of course, a good security system combined with a defense dog are options as well but IMHO are supplements to a firearm based strategy of self-defense.

89962439a2a0063997aa9fe7e967ea85.jpg

Last edited:
It's just so sad that citizens of the USA are denied their second amendment rights in liberal cities like Boston. How ironic that the city of Boston, once the very epicenter of the American Revolution, has turned its back on the second amendment.