[TX] 3.4 cGPA/3.3 sGPA, 513 MCAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dinosaurbogeys

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a Texas resident who attended UT Arlington and graduated from UT Austin (the one with the new med school I can't get into). I took a gap two years after graduating with a B.S.A. in Neuroscience and a German minor, and really need some help finding OOS schools where I'd be a good match.

3.4 cGPA, 3.3~ sGPA:
513 MCAT
(130 C/P, 128 CARS, 126 B/B, 129 P/S/B) -- 90th percentile! High five!

Clinical experience (volunteer and non-volunteer):
-Current full time medical scribe employment (1250+ hours)
-Volunteering work at a blood donation center (150+ hours)
Research experience and productivity:
-None. (Research never appealed to me, despite attending one of the largest research campuses in America)​

Shadowing experience:
-None. I have only shadowed ER physicians and midlevels that I worked under as a scribe, but made sure to mention that I've followed 100+ MDs, DOs, PAs, and NPs all over my application, with exposure to numerous specialty consults.​

Non-clinical volunteering:
-Tons of local stuff such as after school programs and food pantry volunteering since freshman year (200+ hours)
-Epworth Project Disaster Relief; a week long effort to build houses in Louisiana following Katrina (60 hours)
-NREMT volunteering as a trauma victim (5 hours)
-Medic Team Volunteer for A-kon 27 in Dallas. (20 hours)​

Other extracurricular activities (including athletics, military service, gap year activities, leadership, teaching, etc):
-Wesley Foundation (community outreach)
-German Club (VP/treasurer/historian/secretary 1 year, member 2 years)
-Campus research club (Secretary 1 year, member 2 years)
-A premedical organization
-Comic artist for the Daily Texan
-Policy Action Committee: I helped to write a bit of student conduct policy for UT's new Dell Medical School with an official letter of gratitude from Executive Vice Dean of Academics
-Knitting - I added this so I could seem more well-rounded. I really enjoy knitting, to the point where I have paid money to attend yarn conventions. I also make red caps for pre-mes through the "Little Hats, Big Hearts" campaign, so I thought it'd be nice to include on my Texas apps, where there's room to list little leisure activities like this.​

Relevant honors/awards/recognitions:
-I'm a registered EMT-B with a job waiting for me come August. I have no idea where this fits within my application, but for now it under "planned activities" in TMDSAS and "other" on the AMCAS.
I've got two average LORs and one pretty great LOR.

Please know, I understand that I'm a mid-tier applicant at best. My GPA alone is a red flag that I can only hope my MCAT kinda makes up for. I have a rather good reason for the drop in my grades (financial concerns, family health concerns, stretched myself too thin, roommate from Hell), and there's a definite upward trend after my worst semester. My current school list contains a lot of reach schools at my parent's request. They've agreed to foot the bill for the additional applications, so I obliged.

School List:
Texas Schools
UT Southwestern Medical Center
UT Medical Branch at Galveston
McGovern Medical School
UT SOM at San Antonio
UT Austin Dell Medical School
UT Rio Grande Medical School
Texas A&M HSC College of Medicine
Texas Tech HSC SOM at Lubbock
Texas Tech HSC Paul L Foster SOM at El Paso
Baylor College of Medicine

Out of state
Johns Hopkins
University of Maryland SOM
The Ohio State University College of Medicine
Stanford University SOM
University of California San Francisco, SOM
University of Michigan Medical School
Morehouse SOM
Rosalind Franklin University of Medicine and Science

(edited for length and clarity)

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Your out of state list is totally unrealistic with your GPA except for Rosalind Franklin. You may receive some interviews from the Texas schools due to your MCAT score. For OOS schools you could add:
Quinnipiac
Oakland Beaumont
Western Michigan
Tulane
Roseman (new school accepting applications sometime this year)
If you are not accepted to a MD school this year then apply to at least 10 DO schools next year (or even this year if you are interested).

For OOS schools you could add:
Quinnipiac
Oakland Beaumont
Western Michigan
Tulane
Roseman (new school accepting applications sometime this year)
If you are not accepted to a MD school this year then apply to at least 10 DO schools next year (or even this year if you are interested).

Thank you for the advice. As I mentioned, I 100% understand that these schools are reaches, and appreciate your realistic suggestions.