Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I've shadowed different types of physicians (internal specialist, pediatrician, medical specialist, surgeon) and volunteered countless hours in the hospital. I've also started to receive interviews and a few acceptances to medical schools. Despite this, I still wonder if I fully understand the life of a physician and whether the hours are suitable for me. As someone who is possibly looking at family practice/pathology/being a pediatrician, what sorts of hours can I expect? I realize that residency will involve 60-80+hours a week and I'm sure I would be willing to handle that for about three years. Will the rest of my life look like that? I question whether I could handle that many hours even if I love the profession. Similarly, are the working hours different for physicians in other countries? I know certain European countries have average working hours of around 30 per week. Is there certain specialties I should consider if I want to work around 40 hours a week?