UC Davis c/o 2015

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
AWESOME! Not that I want to shirk any other part of the curriculum, but I do want to get all the clinical skills experience I can possibly get. (Does everyone have an area they're nervous/insecure about? This is mine.)

right there with you tigerkitten...but I think once we get the hang of everything we will be fine at least we get to tip toe into the hospital instead of a whoosh in forth year which is nice :)

Members don't see this ad.

I just got accepted from the waitlist! woohoo!
I wonder why so many people turn it down?
Is it because of the new curriculum?

What is everyone's thought about the new curriculum? I'm sure they went a long way planning it, but i'm just a bit worried if it's going to be unorganized and stuff...

Congrats! :highfive: :soexcited:Come and join us on the FB Group. See you soon!!!

(Do you know your number?)

Well - Pharm night was fun. Sadly, I knew almost all the reps. (yay for working in a SA clinic in Sacto)

I won 6 pairs of bandage scissors. Apparently, I have a calling in bandaging something. Perhaps I can use them as some sort of accessory?

Members don't see this ad :)
I won 6 pairs of bandage scissors. Apparently, I have a calling in bandaging something. Perhaps I can use them as some sort of accessory?

Six pairs? I might hafta offer to buy one off ya. :)

The alternate list seems to be moving quite a bit this year, I'm at number 4 now (from 18 a month ago). Anyone have any insight on my chances at this point? Are there anymore alternate list folks who can tell me what number they're at?

Any info helps, I'm still on an anxious roller coaster ride trying to figure out which school I'll be attending in fall!

The alternate list seems to be moving quite a bit this year, I'm at number 4 now (from 18 a month ago). Anyone have any insight on my chances at this point? Are there anymore alternate list folks who can tell me what number they're at?

Any info helps, I'm still on an anxious roller coaster ride trying to figure out which school I'll be attending in fall!

hey there, i was number 12 when the result was announced, and I just got accepted last Friday 4/22 and accepting the offer! So good luck to you! I never thought i'd get in... i even paid deposit to go to London and all...

Thanks for the info. Really weird, but I was also accepted to London and have paid my deposit too. Hopefully I'll have the same luck as you!

Hi everybody!! Welcome to Davis!! I should be studying right now but I am in complete denial about the 3 exams I have coming up and I'm looking for ways to stay distracted.

Sooooo...Here is an awesome cute video of my dog and foster kittens!! My classmates are tired of me posting so many kitten videos on facebook so I've decided to spam you guys instead, heehee!! Enjoy!! :corny:

[YOUTUBE]MxwH9RbQzJ0[/YOUTUBE]

Awww, what a calm dog.

Why is the music so sad in that video?

Members don't see this ad :)
No more sad music! Its much more joyous now. Promise!! :)

Ok I really should be studying now. Really. But tell me what you guys think about this video. Is it okay? I wanted to make a video to encourage people that trimming cat nails doesnt always have to be stressful. I'm trying to change the world one happy kitten at a time...

[YOUTUBE]uM8Mw4bVL7c[/YOUTUBE]

Okay seriously that is the last video I swear. No really. I should be studying, hehe

PS--THE NEW CURRICULUM IS GOING TO BE AWESOME!!! Get excited, I'm so jealous!

And any news on computer choices yet? I was trying to convince the admin that mac users should have an optional ipad bundled with their macbook. Cross your fingers!! I have an ipad and I highly recommend buying one if you find yourself wanting tablet function.

Not trying to hijack this thread. I was hoping that Nyanko or ShelterURIgirl could pm me about how well the Ipad works for classes. I tried pm-ing you all, however, it did not go through for some reason. Thanks!

Nyanko, you should send an email to C.Brandt and let him know how much you like it. He loves the ipad but didn't feel like he could justify making that a valid option, but during my meeting with him I helped alleviate many of his concerns about workflow logistics, so you should definitely let him know what you think and what programs you use.

Yay ipads! Wolfpack87 I sent you a very long and detailed message back, hope it helps you to decide!! If anyone else has any questions, I would be happy to answer them too. :)

Whether or not it's included in the bundle, I WILL be buying an ipad. It seems silly not to after all I've seen and heard. AT first I worried it would duplicate my itouch, but it really doesn't. It bridges the gap between the itouch and the laptop. Really wish the comp was an imac instead of a powerbook but oh well.

Nyanko, you should send an email to C.Brandt and let him know how much you like it. He loves the ipad but didn't feel like he could justify making that a valid option, but during my meeting with him I helped alleviate many of his concerns about workflow logistics, so you should definitely let him know what you think and what programs you use.

Yay ipads! Wolfpack87 I sent you a very long and detailed message back, hope it helps you to decide!! If anyone else has any questions, I would be happy to answer them too. :)

The tablet function was one of my big selling points for choosing the PC option. If you think the ipad and the Mac would duplicate that capability, that just might kick me over to the other choice! Do you bring just the ipad to classes, as Nyanko does? (That right there is great - LOW WEIGHT.) How is the "scribbling recognition"?

I do bring both to class because sometimes I download the lecture 10 minutes before class starts, and because I use dropbox (free online cloud program) to sync my files, its easier to download the lecture on my mac and then put the file in my dropbox folder rather than download from the ipad and push it to my computer.

But honestly, most days I dont even pull out my laptop anymore. The only things I carry in my backpack are the ipad, the apple wireless keyboard, my laptop and the misc cords and accessories. All my books are electronic versions (which I exported to pdf so I can search, highlight and annotate those) and even old exams/notes/charts are electronic copies too.

But I will say, sometimes it is nice to have both computers out. During our "open note" radiology exams, I have both my computer and the ipad out for faster searching. And sometimes when I am studying, I use the ipad as a second monitor. Yes, there is an app for that. :)

And not sure what you mean by scribbling recognition, are you talking about converting handwriting to typed text? That is a function that I never use. If I am going to be writing something that is longer than a sentence, it is 10x faster for me to type it in a text box rather than write it. But for short sentences with arrows, exclamation marks or equations, handwriting it faster than typing. But outside of annotating a pdf file, there are great notebook apps. The handwriting is very fast and there is very little lag.

Hope this helps! After this insane week is over I will post a video walking you guys through my "workflow" so you can get a generally idea of what I use ipad for.

The tablet function was one of my big selling points for choosing the PC option. If you think the ipad and the Mac would duplicate that capability, that just might kick me over to the other choice! Do you bring just the ipad to classes, as Nyanko does? (That right there is great - LOW WEIGHT.) How is the "scribbling recognition"?

Oh, and in case it helps, here is a brief overview of my "workflow" on the iPad. Its cut and pasted from a private message someone sent me that I replied to.

"I download all my lecture slides (pdf format) before class (or in between classes) and if they are in powerpoint format I print to pdf. Then I rename the file, and drag and drop it into my dropbox folder, which sits up on the toolbar on my macbook pro. It immediately starts uploading the file to the dropbox cloud and usually takes 1-2 minutes to load for the larger files.

Next, on my ipad, I open up iAnnotate (the best annotating program) and I go to my drop box folder and I select the folder with the new lecture in it and I refresh so that now my ipad has the lecture. I open the lecture in ipad, and I take notes using a stylus (boxwave) and I also type notes using the mac wireless keyboard.

The mac wireless keyboard is $69 but its super small (about an inch longer than the ipad) made from durable aluminum (super tough I just throw it in my backpack with no cover/case) and its a full size keyboard so my fingers arent cramped.

I can type pretty fast using the touch screen on the ipad, except that the keys I normally hit with my last two fingers are awkward and cramped, so I end up rotating my wrists and using my pointer and middle fingers to type, which definitely slows me down.

At the end of the day, I hit the upload arrow and all my changes are synced with my computer via dropbox. This is nice, because if I lose both my laptop and my ipad, I have my annotated notes I can access via my dropbox.com account. You get 2GB of space for free and at the end of the quarter I just clean stuff off of it so I have plenty of space."

you guys are making me kind of rethink my PC choice. WHy does this have to be such a hard decision? :laugh:

I don't consider myself a technophobe and the above breakdowns of how to use the ipad and mac together don't seem THAT complicated, but I just know I'm going to get them together in front of me and be like, :confused::(

although the idea of only bringing an ipad to class and being able to type with a wireless keyboard AND use a stylus when needed sounds pretty cool. i hate the logistics though.

I currently use drop box on my lap top and itouch and it works great. So I can totally see this :). Highly reccomend.

Also, another little trick - evernote does a great job saving websites that I want ot reference or read later.

I agonized over whether ot purchase my itouch because it seemed like I was duplicating my compter. Not so! It's os easy to pull out and use. If I'm waiting in line somewhere, I just pull it out and see if there's wifi and check e-mail etc - in under 30 seconds. I assume that using the ipad for taking notes/looking stuff up with be similar in the way that it will be faster and more convient than the laptop. I also feel like it is more secure - my material will be backed up on the laptop AND on drop box (which I can access from any computer.....).

Of course, the final factor for me is that all of my mac devices have been really really reliable. Can't say the same for the PC side of my life. I totally get you guys who are worried about a mac because you have no experience with it....but consider this. My first year at Davis (as a junior) it took me exactly 4 weeks to become THROGHOULY fed up with my pc. I bought an ibook mac with absolutely NO experience iwth macs. Never used one. No one in my family had one. Once I turned it on, I didn't even know how to turn it off! It took me exactly 48 hours to get comfy with it and after 48 hours I could use it better than my PC.

Using a mac at home/schoool didn't ruin me for a PC....obviously in the corportate business world I'm PC based. I find the PC stuff pondorous, slow, and ugly after using a mac, but I'm more than profiecient with it. But I definitely perfer the mac.

Sorry - long winded. Too much caffiene and boredom combined.

although the idea of only bringing an ipad to class and being able to type with a wireless keyboard AND use a stylus when needed sounds pretty cool. i hate the logistics though.

The make a lot of cool keypad/cases for the ipad that are somewhat easier than having to carry the wireless keyboard seperate. The one I like best is called the clamcase. I think they are set to release the one for ipad2 in june. i think crux360 is the name of another and bestbuy has a couple cheaper options.

here is a brief overview of my "workflow" on the iPad. Its cut and pasted from a private message someone sent me that I replied to...

Thank you for posting your workflow, this sounds like a great way to take notes in class! I have an iPad and would love to try this method out, but I don't have any lecture PDFs of my own (yet). Does anyone know if I could get some of the current UCD lecture files to practice with, and if so, how? This is awfully exciting, considering the fact my past method was paper notes with crude mind maps for review. This'll be like upgrading from a stone wheel to a Ferrari! :laugh:

Any set of PPT notes would work for testing it out. Just make a fake slideshow about monkeys, print it to PDF file, and send it over. Then take notes and make diagrams about monkeys. :)

The make a lot of cool keypad/cases for the ipad that are somewhat easier than having to carry the wireless keyboard seperate. The one I like best is called the clamcase. I think they are set to release the one for ipad2 in june. i think crux360 is the name of another and bestbuy has a couple cheaper options.

I looked into the clam case, and I do not recommend them. First of all, the leather case I have is THICK and sturdy yet soft with lots of padding, and although it adds bulk to the pad (it triples the thickness of the ipad), it protects it better than the metal clam cases. In the leather case the ipad is completely protected if I drop it on concrete. I know this, because I have done it. :eek: Numerous times.

And the aluminum mac keyboard is THIN and small (about 1 inch longer than the ipad) but its a full size keyboard. The clamm shells are not full sized. Your fingers and wrist will immediately cramp while trying to use them. Also, the keys do not recess and "click" the same way, so typing is not as effortless. I went to fry's and typed on them and I hated it, so before you buy any accessories I recommend trying them in person first. I'll see if I can upload some pics/videos for you guys. It seems like a lot, but actually its not.

Also, for those of you who are nerds: you will appreciate the fact that you can download a free SNES emulator and run old school nintendo games on your ipad. So yeah, sometimes during lunch I play old school zelda/mariokart games using the wii mote as a wireless controller. Its kind of awesome. :)

Ditto. I don't know what to do anymore!

I'm thinking about switching for a couple reasons....one is that due to my MIL passing away and buying multiple plane tickets for that and moving next month. I just won't have the money in July! I'm also slowly being converted by you mac lovers. hmmm.....decisions decisions. Maybe it's too late to switch, anyway?

on another completely different note: my UCD e-mail address cracks me up - my middle initial is an 'r' so my addy is "dr[heylodeb]@ucd"....not sure why but it makes me giggle. :laugh: At least the school plans on me graduating with a DVM! ;)

on another completely different note: my UCD e-mail address cracks me up - my middle initial is an 'r' so my addy is "dr[heylodeb]@ucd"....not sure why but it makes me giggle. :laugh: At least the school plans on me graduating with a DVM! ;)

That's actually pretty cool!

I think I just saw on facebook that you can change your computer option up until June 1st.

BTW - Chris is asking who has or is planning on buying an ipad on facebook! I really hope it's packaged with the powerbook....but it's probably a vain hope.

I switched my choice. I'm now a mac girl. oh dear. What is happening to me? First I started drinking coffee and now I'm buying a mac?? :rolleyes:

I switched my choice. I'm now a mac girl. oh dear. What is happening to me? First I started drinking coffee and now I'm buying a mac?? :rolleyes:

You're outta control! Look out! :p

You guys are actually making me torn, but I think I'm going to stick with my guns and my comfort zone and stay pc. I just don't want to be frustrated with some program which is second nature to me on a pc, but just different enough to frustrate me if I were freaking out about a deadline, but the mac with the ipad option (and being able to just bring that like some of the current students) sounds really cool.

Has anyone attempted to run windows parallel with the mac os on the macs? I'm wondering if it would be worth it so I could run onenote on the mac and have access to other programs I'm used to.

I have no idea the logistics of actually doing so but the idea seems like a good one!

Has anyone attempted to run windows parallel with the mac os on the macs? I'm wondering if it would be worth it so I could run onenote on the mac and have access to other programs I'm used to.

Don't take this the wrong way (this is the Mac purist coming out in me), but why would you get a Mac if you are just going to run PC programs on it anyhow??? Most of what you'll be doing with your computer is taking notes or studying those notes, so if you are going to be using Windows-compatible programs to accomplish those activities, why not just go with the PC to begin with? (This doesn't mean I think the PC is better - I think you should get a Mac and use Mac programs on it, lol.)

I've used other people's macs occasionally and like the form factor, the screen, and the ease of use coming from being a mostly PC user. I already have a pretty decent PC already and figured if I had to get another computer I might as well try a mac out. So I guess it would be an easier transition or something...? I dunno, just seeing what other people thought about it. Guess it's a resounding not worth it.

My husband is going to do something like that with a Mac, but because the programs he needs for his job are not available for Mac... yet he wants the Mac's resale value, he likes the aluminum body, and some other stuff I'm sure.

I won't ever get a Mac because it would tick me off and, if I could run it as a PC 24/7, I would. So what's the point? My apple love will be limited to iPhones and iPads.

My husband is going to do something like that with a Mac, but because the programs he needs for his job are not available for Mac... yet he wants the Mac's resale value, he likes the aluminum body, and some other stuff I'm sure.

I won't ever get a Mac because it would tick me off and, if I could run it as a PC 24/7, I would. So what's the point? My apple love will be limited to iPhones and iPads.

Why would it tick you off if you like the interface of iphones and ipads? I'm genuinely asking here. As someone who has never used a mac exclusively I'd like to hear some downsides.

I have no idea the logistics of actually doing so but the idea seems like a good one!

My mom (a college professor) ran a PC OS on her mac because her PC died mid semester and she wanted to replace it with a mac but didn't have time right than to learn how to use a mac. I used it while I was visiting them and it worked fine. She has now reverted to using the Mac OS but she did not have any complaints when it was switched around.

FWIW I learned to use my Macbook in less than a day (our class has the terrible Toshibas and mine was down 95% of the time so I switched this year).

The interface for iPhones and iPads is different than Tiger, leopard, etc. OS of Mac. And to clarify, I have used a Mac before... For about a month. I like the build and style, but dammit, I know a PC like the back of my hand. It's just a matter of comfort.

Also I just wanted to comment on the ipad stuff.
I bring only my ipad to class with me now. I at first had some "learning curve" adjustments. But now that I have figured out how to transfer everything without emailing it to myself, I have no need for my laptop when I am at school. Iannotate has an experimental part that will convert the ppt to a pdf from you. You can also directly upload any transferred files from iannotate into your dropbox folder.
Also if you open the pdf you want to download you can directly transfer it to iannotate or dropbox. =) Also I totally recommend the wireless keyboard if you like taking notes. =)

The only time I actually will bring my laptop is when I need to use word or excel or something. But you can buy apple's versions for the ipad; pages, numbers and keynote. I just haven't gotten around to doing this. =)

Maybe we can have an extra session to orient people with the ipad and it's features at the beginning of the school year?

FWIW I learned to use my Macbook in less than a day (our class has the terrible Toshibas and mine was down 95% of the time so I switched this year).

ShelterGirl,

You have both PC and Mac now? Was it difficult to upload study materials from previous years to Macbook yourself?

Raptorlovr88,
If I can interject here about the pc to Mac conversion.....it is so easy. I know when I went from my desk top to my MacBook, I was worried that I would lose photos and documents. But that isn't the case! Everything transfers over so easily. You can just hook up a USB cable or firewire (do pcs have firewires?) at start up and use the migration assistant which is offered when you are setting up the system. :)
The hardest to transfer I believe is for people who use onenote....you have to go back and save them all as PDFs so you can view them in a non windows environment. At least this is what I have noticed if classmates try to send me their onenote notes from class. But maybe there is an app for that now?