UC Davis c/o 2015

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

moosenanny

UC DAVIS class of 2014!!!
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just a short year ago I was in your shoes, applying to my dream school: UC Davis. I decided to launch this thread for any of you out there working on your applications right now. If you have any questions about what Davis is looking for or what the school is like, I'm sure the many friendly accepted students would be happy to chime in with words of encouragement and first-hand experiences :)

Good luck to those going for the Davis class of 2015 :luck:

By the way, I move up to Davis in exactly one month, and then Orientation starts the next morning on September 1st - Can't wait :D

Members don't see this ad.

oh man. starting this thread already - it's going to be up to 1,000 views by tomorrow! :p

Good luck everybody - UCD c/o 2015 is going to be awesome and hopefully a whole heap of us will be in it together!

Good luck c/o 2015!

Members don't see this ad :)
whoot!

-a UCDavis c/o 2015 hopeful

Just a wishful thinker here. No one will know for sure until I click the 'submit' button, myself included. Hmm.

But I'm so very certain that I would just LOVE it there. :)

"Just a wishful thinker here. No one will know for sure until I click the 'submit' button, myself included. Hmm.

But I'm so very certain that I would just LOVE it there. :)"

Im pretty sure there is a whole crew of us headed to Davis that are wishing the same thing TT :D.

Good luck applicants and future C/O 2015ers, I can't wait to greet you next fall!!!!! I agree with moosenanny! Ask any questions, there are lots of us that would love to help!!!

wooo!! new davis thread

Hey all UCD hopeful c/o 2015.

Just wanted to let you know of the new requirement I just saw on their website that might affect some of you the same way it affects me.

Change in DVM Admissions Requirement Update!

Effective 2010-2011 application period for admission to UC Davis School of Veterinary Medicine, all students entering Fall 2011 must receive the bachelor’s degree and complete all veterinary school prerequisites by the end of the Spring 2011 term.

This is bad news for me as I have not earned my bachelor's yet but have already submitted a leave of absence to gain experience. All of the admissions people prior to this have said that once you were in the program 2 years you received a bachelor's so you didn't need one coming in.

I called the admissions office today and they said that this was a new requirement passed down from the UC higher ups and there could be no waivers with this.

Hope no one else is in the same situation I am, but this is going to delay my application at least one year...

So I'll shoot the first question! What were your GPAs and GREs? Thanks

For stats, this is probably the best place to look. Most of us in the class of 2014 who are on SDN posted in that thread, and there is something similar made each year if you want to look at more than just our entering class.

This is a sheet of official stats for the entering class generated by the school.

And just remember, there are factors that you can't really compare on paper such as interview skills or letters of recommendation so just because you are above average don't assume you will be okay and if you are below average keep in mind there are other places on your app that can make a huge difference.

Good luck to everyone applying, hope to see you in the class of 2015!!

Thanks for the info Dizzm!

So I'll shoot the first question! What were your GPAs and GREs? Thanks

Rather than getting a bunch of random stats to compare yourself too, you could consider posting your numbers and seeing what your peers think. Accepted students (like myself) would be happy to predict what your potential strengths and weaknesses are. Or better yet, if you set up an appointment with the Davis admissions staff, they will meet with you and do a pre-application review. I met with them last summer as I was finishing my application, and they were so helpful -- gave me a huge confidence boost!!!

Members don't see this ad :)
Really basic question I'm a bit embarrassed to ask: Is it way too late to set up an appointment with the Davis admissions staff and get a pre-application review?

Really basic question I'm a bit embarrassed to ask: Is it way too late to set up an appointment with the Davis admissions staff and get a pre-application review?
Do they do them normally? For some reason I didn't think that they did, but I also can't say I ever asked either. Call and ask I suppose. Worst thing that happens is that they say no. You don't have to identify yourself by last name if you don't want them to remember you :laugh: I'd probably call Erin Seay and ask her, although someone else may have a better suggestion, but she usually knows everything that's going on and could send you to the right people.

Question: where are the optional supplemental documents you can turn in? I've heard about them but can't seem to find them on their website!

I'd probably call Erin Seay and ask her, although someone else may have a better suggestion, but she usually knows everything that's going on and could send you to the right people.

She only deals with enrolled students really. You want people in Student Programs, not Academic Programs. So Yasmin and Kim and co. I'm not sure if they'll do a review or whatever.

I called up to the admissions office a couple of weeks ago to see what they make available to applicants in terms of advisor meetings and the like. I got the impression that they had one pre-vet advisor and that person is dedicated to the undergraduate population there. And that everything else is covered in the online brochure. If anyone learns differently, please do let us know.

Thanks, AuRevoirFinance! I thought the idea of a pre-application review (as moosenanny mentioned) being available to all and sundry was a little too good to be true. Thanks for letting us know what you heard on the phone!

Nyanko = way more helpful and stylishly coiffed than me!

I had my pre-application review last summer (late June or July). Kim O'Bryan usually hosts them, but she was busy so I met with Yasmin instead. I think as long as you ask and schedule an appointment, they'd be happy to meet with anyone. However, now that the school year has started, I'm not sure if their availability is different . . .

So, I am planning to fill out the supplemental forms that UC-Davis offers to applicants. I was quite surprised to see that I have to print out these forms and hand write all of my answers instead of being able to type into the form. Why do they do that?
Just a little rant.
Dang it! :mad:

I just copied the prompts and pasted them into a Word document, then typed my answers. I wanted them to actually be able to read them. ;)

I just copied the prompts and pasted them into a Word document, then typed my answers. I wanted them to actually be able to read them. ;)
This was wise since not even the tablet can read your handwriting :(

I'm going to have to try that. I was sitting here filling out several pages of the thing, and then my cat walked in from outside, jumped onto my desk, and smeared muddy pawprints all over the application. I was about to get very angry, but he started purring instantly and began head-butting me on the chin, and my heart melted into a puddle.

I'm going to have to try that. I was sitting here filling out several pages of the thing, and then my cat walked in from outside, jumped onto my desk, and smeared muddy pawprints all over the application. I was about to get very angry, but he started purring instantly and began head-butting me on the chin, and my heart melted into a puddle.

:laugh: awww... sounds like something mine would do, too.

Kind of a random question.

So, I just submitted my application for this year. I started shadowing an equine vet last week but, since I only have like 6 hours, I decided not to include it on my application. I'm hoping to shadow one afternoon a week for the entire quarter. Should I send an e-mail update about my hours later in the year (nearer interview time)? Does Davis accept/encourage this? If not, no big deal, I'll just include it on next year's application. :p

So, I just submitted my application for this year. I started shadowing an equine vet last week but, since I only have like 6 hours, I decided not to include it on my application. I'm hoping to shadow one afternoon a week for the entire quarter. Should I send an e-mail update about my hours later in the year (nearer interview time)? Does Davis accept/encourage this? If not, no big deal, I'll just include it on next year's application. :p

My first thought is that it can't hurt, but it may not help either. You can definitely call them with a question like that. I know they wanted fall grades last year, so my guess is they would say 'yes'.

I agree that it probably won't hurt. I'm also pretty sure that if you are granted a interview in Feb-March, that should be one of the first questions that they ask you: "what have you been doing since you applied?"

Yes, in comparing my interview to others', their first interview question normally includes some aspect of what you've done since submitting the application. It will really impress them that you've continued getting new experiences up through Feb/March. I'm not sure if you should send in an update or not -- I think most schools ignore that sort of thing, but call and ask!

ETA: now I'm off to go take my first Davis vet school exam (which also happens to be a final ;))

How many of you applying this year are from out of state? Seems we're at kind of a huge disadvantage...

I added them on kinda last minute b/c of all the positive things I've heard about the school and about Davis (the town), largely from fellow forum members. A silly impulse I suppose, since if I got accepted there, I have no idea how I would pay for it.

You can gain IS tuition after the first year!!!

ETA: I suppose our IS tuition is still relatively high compared to some other schools, but in my opinion it is totally worth it :) But of course I'm a bit biased ;)

Last edited:
Yeah, I think they say it's something like $34,000 for tuition, books, and fees, and that's for IS! Yikes!

I thought UCDavis didn't have a supplimental application?

There's a 1-pager called "Career Diversity," and another called "VMOP." That one has some heft to it. I was going to fill it out until I saw that they wanted a bunch of parental info. Rather ironic I think. They want you to fill it out if you come from a rough upbringing, but then they go and ask you detailed info about your parents. Well, Davis, I don't have any contact with my parents because of my rough upbringing. See how that works? Duh.

The Dean sent out one of his update emails today, and I'm copying and pasting a line from it because current applicants may be interested:

"Although the number of applications is down about 100 from prior years, we still received 1,100 applications for 131 positions."

Pomona2006 beat me to it, but good luck from the class of 2014 as well :love:

Thanks for the info, Pomona2006 and moosenanny!

*deep breath* One in nine, one in nine, one in nine...

Thanks for the info, Pomona2006 and moosenanny!

*deep breath* One in nine, one in nine, one in nine...

It's better than that - they get quite a few out of staters and it looks like your from CA so your odds are a bit better! (so I try to tell myself...)

Thanks, heylodeb! I'm also on my first application, with less experience than I'd like, so I'm emotionally bracing for the negative this time around.

Anyone know anyone who got in on the first try? It seems that's almost impossible these days, but then, I may be asking all the wrong people!

Thanks, heylodeb! I'm also on my first application, with less experience than I'd like, so I'm emotionally bracing for the negative this time around.

Anyone know anyone who got in on the first try? It seems that's almost impossible these days, but then, I may be asking all the wrong people!

PLENTY of people get in 1st try - many of them from this forum. It's just us folks who don't get in who tend to hang around for a lot longer. I think it gives a slightly skewed view, lol. Check out UCD's Admissions statistics for PROOF. ;)

Yeah, I got into three of the four schools I applied to first try (Davis, was IS, and two OOS schools). It's definitely do-able! Once you're in vet school, nobody really cares how long it took you to get there (at least what I've noticed).