UC Davis c/o 2016 Applicants

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hi UCD c/o 2015'ers... I know that you guys are not done with your semester yet, but when you are (so soon! congrats!), I would love to hear some updated thoughts on the new curriculum. Last I read, anatomy hadn't really been touched yet, and the PBL/group work was in its infancy. I'm wondering what the course load and group work has been like since then (how much time do you spend with your group and preparing to meet with the group? have you started anatomy? has the course load picked up a great deal? are you in class more than the first block? is there still a lot of independent learning? if so, do you feel like you know what you need to learn?)

Thanks so much, and again, congrats to making it half-way!
Great Questions... So we have just started our M/S block and anatomy (mainly bones) is underway. We will start dissections when we get back in Jan. PBL/CBL is great. I happen to love my group and we all get along/work well together. The course load is of course heavy but that being said you have plenty of time to study and prepare. I'd say on a week when I have group work and course work, I spend about 5-8 hours outside of class preparing for group meetings and another 10-15 studying for lecture stuff. The scheduling and time constraints really vary from professor to professor but each one of them has been receptive to our input. If things are getting to intense they don't mind moving a deadline back a day or two (when possible). This block is definitely heavier than the first and we are in class more. There is a great deal of independent learning but you are given guidance. It does NOT feel like I am wasting my time trying to figure out what to learn instead of learning. I think the most important thing to share with you new guys is that EVERY professor that we have encountered so far is really passionate about what they do. It seems like each lecturer we have is one of the leading experts on the subject they are lecturing about. When you do research you often end up finding peer reviewed papers written by your professor who assigned the topic. It really is nice to know that you are learning from the best.

Members don't see this ad.

Hi UCD c/o 2015'ers... I know that you guys are not done with your semester yet, but when you are (so soon! congrats!), I would love to hear some updated thoughts on the new curriculum. Last I read, anatomy hadn't really been touched yet, and the PBL/group work was in its infancy. I'm wondering what the course load and group work has been like since then (how much time do you spend with your group and preparing to meet with the group? have you started anatomy? has the course load picked up a great deal? are you in class more than the first block? is there still a lot of independent learning? if so, do you feel like you know what you need to learn?)

Thanks so much, and again, congrats to making it half-way!

Agree with a lot of what ApplicantNSoCal said.

Things that make me feel not so great about the new curriculum:
Professor's repeatedly saying
"Did you cover this yet?"
"Ya know, this is the first time we've done this as well!"
"We're just trying to keep one step ahead of you guys!"
Have to bite my tongue to NOT remind them that if they had heard these exact statements from the last 35 profs, you'd be getting annoyed too. Problem is we have to keep being patient because it's a whole new group of professors every few weeks. There has definitely been some organization issues that are frustrating since I am the type of person who plans, organizes, makes lists, etc.....Slowly being stretched to learn to just go with the flow and figure they are going to change it 9 times so no reason to plan! Starts to really grate on me after a while. All of my problems with the new curriculum are all things to do with it being "the new thing". I have no complaints with the actual design of our classes.

Things that I really LIKE about the new curriculum:
-As mentioned above: learning abnormal and normal together is fascinating and so super applicable
-CBL/PBL is a fantastic way to learn. I remember things from those cases so much better than any lecture material! Definitely like how they have combined the best of two worlds. Some professors don't really understand how it works so they don't make it as efficient as it could be but like I said - patience is a virtue at this point. Well, except for the DIC case. Still confused. *sigh*...(DIC=death is coming OR deb is confused)
-We are in anatomy now but it is just the bones - dissecting starts in January. Nice long list to learn this week. A lot of the terms are similar to human anatomy terms - so kudos to you if you've taken it!

I don't find that the material is getting harder. It has been hard since the very first day. It just keeps evolving into different kinds of hard. Pharmacology - hard to understand but anatomy is hard to memorize. Yes - our first block was pass/fail but that doesn't equal easy. EVERY vet school class in the COUNTRY is pass/fail, you just get differing levels of pass. That does not mean it is easy and it doesn't mean you have to work pretty darn hard to master the material in a way that you are happy with.

Anyway - I'm really happy here. I love vet school. I love learning so many exciting things. I learn something new and applicable every day. I have a rotation in orthopedic surgery next week which is awesome because we are right in the bone section! Awesome coincidence.

I have bad days and good days but if you really ask me what I'm unhappy about on the bad days - it's being frustrated with myself for slacking off or not picking up on things as fast as I would like. UC Davis is better than I thought it would be and I LOVE IT.

Power through this admission cycle you guys - can't wait to meet the lucky 2016'ers! I have my fingers crossed for ALL of you!!

I still have giddy moments - love being on the pathway to my dreams. I am anxious to graduate and start practicing but plan on making the absolute best out of these next 3.5 years. I love my classmates and wouldn't trade this experience for the world.

Now enough procrastinating. Back to that weird little tubercle thingymajiggy I'm supposed to be locating.

EDIT: Forgot to mention that we repeatedly hear from professors that we are putting things together so much faster than previous classes. We even had a prof who was very skeptical of the new design straight up tell us in lecture that we have far exceeded his expectations of what 1st years were capable of and he was now a strong supporter of the new design. YAY! There are numerous times a week when a classmates question will just floor a prof due to the complexity involved. I think we are frightening them with how well the new curriculum is teaching us to integrate information. Go 2015!!

Last edited:
Thanks so much for all of the input! The new curriculum sounds very exciting, and I agree that it must be a lot more fun to learn normal and abnormal together.

The one thing I am really worried about is the PBL component. I am not an auditory learner at all, and have always felt that I struggle to get anything out of group work. Likewise, I usually don't understand anything I hear in lecture, but once I read my notes, the lecture all makes sense. So, I am wondering if the PBL involves group members teaching one another? Does one group member independently research a particular component of the case, then presents her findings to the rest of the group? Or, is everyone responsible for researching everything about the case, and then the group gets together to discuss the findings? I'm also wondering if there is guidance about what to research in terms of the cases? Also, I noticed that you guys refer to the group work as CBL/PBL - I assume CBL is case based learning? Is all of the group work focusing on cases? Lastly (sorry, so many questions about this, I know!!), how often do you meet with your groups, and do the group members change?

Thanks again for sharing. I know your semester isn't done yet (right?), so I really appreciate you taking the time! BTW, I can't believe you guys covered pharmacology already! Seems so soon!

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
The one thing I am really worried about is the PBL component. I am not an auditory learner at all, and have always felt that I struggle to get anything out of group work. Likewise, I usually don't understand anything I hear in lecture, but once I read my notes, the lecture all makes sense. So, I am wondering if the PBL involves group members teaching one another? Does one group member independently research a particular component of the case, then presents her findings to the rest of the group? Or, is everyone responsible for researching everything about the case, and then the group gets together to discuss the findings? I'm also wondering if there is guidance about what to research in terms of the cases? Also, I noticed that you guys refer to the group work as CBL/PBL - I assume CBL is case based learning? Is all of the group work focusing on cases? Lastly (sorry, so many questions about this, I know!!), how often do you meet with your groups, and do the group members change?

This is a question that is extremely difficult to answer. Each professor has a different way of presenting and designing the PBL/CBL which is why we list both.

Yes - most of them are actual cases where we are presented with the history and some early findings. Sometimes we receive all the information in the first meeting sometimes we research parts of the case and then get more information provided at the next meeting.

We are not supposed to divide and conquer. Everyone is supposed to research and learn together and then discuss as a group. Some professors have assigned too much so we are forced to divide and conquer - learning isn't AS good but you just have to trust your team members.

One thing to remember is that vet school will not let you continue to learn as you have in the past. Regardless of what your study method is: it will change. Especially with this type of curriculum. You have to have multiple ways to accomplish things and although you will fall back on your norm- you will have to learn to be flexible.

Groups do not change. You are assigned to a group of 8. Sometimes we meet 3 times a week - this block we won't meet at all formally and can choose our own groups or meet in our special group of 8.

TLDR: There is no set way that the CBL's work but in general each way has its plusses and negatives. It's been a lot of fun and is an effective way to learn. :)

Sorry if this sounds curt. Just trying to answer all your ques. :) :)

okay.. well, I haven't gotten any confirmation email saying that they got my app.. my last name begins with the letter "y" and I was hoping that they were sending mine out late because I was at the end of the alphabet, but.. yeah. Anyone else didn't get a confirmation email from them? Or should I be emailing davis pronto? lol.

Just got my application complete email a few minutes ago... they are coming... just be patient :)

I got mine on Nov 29th. My last name starts with K... not sure if they are doing it that way or not.

i'm OOS, got my email December 5th and my last name starts with L.

I'm IS, last name "R", and I got my conf. email on 12/7...

IS, last name starts with E, received 11/18

Silly question :rolleyes: when do you have a test or exams? Do you have them at the end of the semester or do you have them when a course ends? I was looking on the homepage but couldn't find it!
I wish you all the best for the rest of the first semester! :)

Wow, thanks ya'll haha. Didn't expect to get so many responses.. Maybe they are doing it alphabetically, according to what you guys are saying.. or maybe not, but I'll just wait it out a few more weeks I guess. Thanks everyone!

Members don't see this ad :)
Still haven't gotten my app complete email...but my last name starts with W...so I'm hoping their going alphabetically

Still haven't gotten my app complete email...but my last name starts with W...so I'm hoping their going alphabetically
Either alphabetically or in the order they were received? I don't know, just a thought.

Silly question :rolleyes: when do you have a test or exams? Do you have them at the end of the semester or do you have them when a course ends? I was looking on the homepage but couldn't find it!
I wish you all the best for the rest of the first semester! :)

We have exams spread out throughout the block. Each block is like a separate class. So there are midterms, projects, finals for each individual block. This block is kind of weird because it is half in this semester and half in next semester. So we are taking a "midterm" on the last day of the semester. (It's less midterm and more "5 hour integrated comprehensive peephole into hades" but let them call it what they will. ;) )

Either alphabetically or in the order they were received? I don't know, just a thought.

Yea, I thought that too, I turned in my application a few days before the deadline, so maybe that's the problem. Or it's my last name. Or both. But I'm going to give it until early next week to call.

I turned mine in the day it was due and got a confirmation e-mail on Nov 3. Last name starts with B (OOS). My guess would be alphabetical.

"5 hour integrated comprehensive peephole into hades"

a perfect way to describe what is going to happen to us on Friday :confused:

heylodeb, you mentioned that the block is going to pick back up after break. does this mean that you have a lot of studying to do during break?

good luck to you and everyone else at davis finishing up their first semester!

heylodeb, you mentioned that the block is going to pick back up after break. does this mean that you have a lot of studying to do during break?

There is no assigned homework/studying over the break, however, we will be having a cumulative final 3 weeks after we are back from winter break. So that means the final will contain material from the three weeks just before Christmas break and the three weeks just after. It will be up to the individual if they wish to study over the break : D Thanks for the well wishes gracietiger.

IS here and my last name starts with S...got mine app complete email yesterday

thanks. I'm scared out of my mind. I cried today when I couldn't find a stapler. :rolleyes: A friend of mine threw a full on tantrum when her Pluto's order was made incorrectly. To say we are on the edge would be a small understatement. :scared:

There is no assigned homework/studying over the break, however, we will be having a cumulative final 3 weeks after we are back from winter break. So that means the final will contain material from the three weeks just before Christmas break and the three weeks just after. It will be up to the individual if they wish to study over the break : D Thanks for the well wishes gracietiger.

What he said.

heylodeb, ApplicantNSoCal and any lurking Davis 2015's-

Hope you all did well today and enjoy your well earned 3 weeks!

Last edited:
just got my confirmation email, December 19 ...

Anyone know when we need fall transcripts in by?

Anyone know when we need fall transcripts in by?

I don't remember/can't find in any of my emails from Davis that they sent anything asking for Fall transcripts mid year, but I graduated a couple years before applying so if it had been sent out only on an as needed basis I wouldn't have gotten one of those emails. I do remember them checking in with people at the interview and making sure all in progress course work would be completed by spring and updating things as needed. I know it seems crazy right now, but if you're missing something Davis does a good job of letting you know and giving you a chance to fix it. If it were me I wouldn't worry about it until I hear more, but if you are really concerned and can't find anything about it on the admissions page shoot them an email.

It's getting closer to when you will all start hearing about interviews and I just wanted to warn you from here on out in the application process every email I got from admissions was a very vague statement telling me to open an attached letter, so be prepared for a small heart attack every time one those loads.

Hope we can start knocking the dust off this thread soon enough... ;)

Hope we can start knocking the dust off this thread soon enough... ;)

I got my interview email on Feb 9th, which I think was the second day last year--- good luck to everyone and remember only about another month before things start really moving, I know the pain of waiting but trust me it was worth it.

I got my interview email on Feb 9th, which I think was the second day last year--- good luck to everyone and remember only about another month before things start really moving, I know the pain of waiting but trust me it was worth it.

I'm a pretty patient guy. I only applied to schools that conclude reviews late in the cycle to further test my mettle. Seriously, Davis, Western, Oregon and Penn – take your time. All the time you need. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Hi everyone, I am one of the many still waiting to hear from Davis. Also waiting to hear from Western, KSU was on the ball, am interviewing with them next weekend. Last year when I applied to Davis, I got the thanks but no thanks email a few days before my birthday. Let us hope this year davis will actually give me a present!:hardy:

Hi everyone, I am one of the many still waiting to hear from Davis. Also waiting to hear from Western, KSU was on the ball, am interviewing with them next weekend. Last year when I applied to Davis, I got the thanks but no thanks email a few days before my birthday. Let us hope this year davis will actually give me a present!:hardy:

Hey! Do you remember when you heard from Davis last year? I'm waiting... just not sure what date range I'm waiting until. Haha :)

Im also waiting for western and davis. They better hurry up before I explode!!! :boom:

I know the wait is terrible - I did it twice and it was NOT fun! I don't know if it helps or not but I have meetings this week and next to start planning the interview orientation day. Things are moving forward - just slowly....

I am typically a patient guy. However, this situation is testing such virtue. I've yet to hear back from Penn, Oregon, Western and, of course, Davis. Colorado State decided to pile on the suspense and threw me to the alternate list. So here I stay. Like Jimmy Cliff, waiting in limbo. :cool:

On a brighter note, my pre-vet club and our program director are headed up to NorCal for our annual visit to Davis on Monday. Not only will I meet with some of the good folks in admission and have dinner with several students, I am thinking about sneaking into the admissions office and moving my file to the top of the pile. If anyone wants to leave their name, I will show them the same courtesy. :laugh:

Well you HAVE to do it for me, since I am the female version of you apparently. Waiting on the same achools

Well you HAVE to do it for me, since I am the female version of you apparently. Waiting on the same achools

I am afraid that we share too much in common. I have no choice but expel you to the bottom of the pile. :eek:

Sorry. This is no time for humor!!

How about this, though? Right after my complaining, I got an e-mail offering me a seat from Oregon. :eek:

No way!!!! Congrats!!!! Now I better be getting one!

Im also waiting for western and davis. They better hurry up before I explode!!! :boom:
I got my denial on the 18th of Feb, I believe. They were sending out yeses and nos the week before that and right up until the 21st I think

On a brighter note, my pre-vet club and our program director are headed up to NorCal for our annual visit to Davis on Monday. Not only will I meet with some of the good folks in admission and have dinner with several students, I am thinking about sneaking into the admissions office and moving my file to the top of the pile. If anyone wants to leave their name, I will show them the same courtesy. :laugh:

Hey! I'm a Pierce College alumnus and helped plan your day here on Tuesday. I'll also be one of the students leading you around and eating lunch with you guys. I'll also, of course, be at the dinner the night you guys get in to town :D