-
CycleTrack and SDN are teaming up to make medical school admissions more transparent and accessible! Read the announcement to learn how we’re supporting the future of CycleTrack’s free application-tracking tools .
You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
UC Davis c/o 2016 Applicants
Started by heylodeb
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Looking at the old threads, people got invited today or tomorrow. Seems that every school has been behind the 8 ball!!!!
I think we will hear towards the end of the week. So maybe Thursday or Friday.
I think we will hear towards the end of the week. So maybe Thursday or Friday.
Pure speculation!!! 😱
Most of the day -- morning through early afternoon (post-lunch, which is usually provided).
Is it necessary to go to the workshop thingy? Will it be videotaped for the Internet? I heard that when you interview they don't have anything planned after (meaning the workshop is the tour day etc). Is this true?
I just.... Don't want to miss yet ANOTHER day of work (but I could be getting ahead of myself and not be invited AT ALL)
I just.... Don't want to miss yet ANOTHER day of work (but I could be getting ahead of myself and not be invited AT ALL)
Is it necessary to go to the workshop thingy? Will it be videotaped for the Internet? I heard that when you interview they don't have anything planned after (meaning the workshop is the tour day etc). Is this true?
I just.... Don't want to miss yet ANOTHER day of work (but I could be getting ahead of myself and not be invited AT ALL)
For everyone out there - it is TOTALLY FINE if you do not attend the workshop. I didn't go two years ago and am living proof that you can still get accepted 🙂
If you don't go, realize that you will be missing the "show off the school" part of the process. On the day of the interview, it is just the ~25 minute interview (no tours, no information sessions, no free food, etc.)
As long as you know that you are forgoing that aspect of the process, then going in just for the interview is fine.
Last year I served on the interview panel for the workshop (about 8 students discussed what their interview experience was like, and discussed various aspects about the school), and I know they filmed it and posted it online.
Last edited:
Is it necessary to go to the workshop thingy? Will it be videotaped for the Internet? I heard that when you interview they don't have anything planned after (meaning the workshop is the tour day etc). Is this true?
I just.... Don't want to miss yet ANOTHER day of work (but I could be getting ahead of myself and not be invited AT ALL)
We are planning on recording and posting it this year. If you are granted an interview, you will also be offered the opportunity to sign up for a student mentor who you would be able to meet up with the day of your interview for something more personal if you can't make it the day of the workshop.
Workshop will run from 10am - mid afternoon with a lunch provided. (and NOT pizza - for those folks who have gotten a pizza party at all the other schools! 😉 )
Unlike many other schools which go through an interview like workshop every interview weekend, Davis has one interview workshop which all interviewees are invited to. It is their chance to entice you to come here, answer questions and hopefully alleviate some of your fears about the interview process. It usually starts at 8am with an intro from the Dean of Admissions, and there may be some other faculty members invited to talk, the key things I remember from last year were a presentation on the flow of the new curriculum as well as a student panel of 1st years to answer questions-- mostly those specific to the interview process and their experiences (no promises, but last year both of these were videotaped and available for viewing by people who could not make it out for the workshop-- they will probably specify what those options may be in any interview invitations). They also have a lunch for you guys where they invite additional students to sit and answer any more questions during which there is also an opportunity to talk to representatives from many student clubs. There might have also been a group presentation about financial aid, but I may be confusing schools on that one. The afternoon usually ends with smaller group tours of the teaching facilities and Veterinary hospital led by Vet students. I will say if you are local and can make it the interview workshop and tour are a great way to alleviate some of your concerns and see where you will be "living" for the next four years, as well as potentially meet some of your future classmates or even future roommates.
All that being said if you cannot make it, when you get the invite you will also have the option to request an interview mentor, a 1st year student who has offered to be your contact and answer any questions you have, and on the day of the interview you may be able to sit in on a class with them, and get a brief tour of the teaching facilities (this won't include much of the hospital though because it will be during normal business hours), but you'd be sure to see our awesome histology labs, anatomy lab, lecture halls and class homerooms.
All that being said if you cannot make it, when you get the invite you will also have the option to request an interview mentor, a 1st year student who has offered to be your contact and answer any questions you have, and on the day of the interview you may be able to sit in on a class with them, and get a brief tour of the teaching facilities (this won't include much of the hospital though because it will be during normal business hours), but you'd be sure to see our awesome histology labs, anatomy lab, lecture halls and class homerooms.
I would highly recommend going to the interviewee orientation. I had never visited Davis and I don't know that I would have been so excited to accept an offer had I not gone.
Though the session was videotaped last year, it is not videotaped every year. I think it will be most informative for the class of 2016 to hear how the new curriculum is going for the class of 2015 at this years session. However, if you would like to watch the videos from last year, you can view them here: http://sharonostermann.blog.com/2011/03/01/interview-workshop-the-class-of-2014-talks/
Though the session was videotaped last year, it is not videotaped every year. I think it will be most informative for the class of 2016 to hear how the new curriculum is going for the class of 2015 at this years session. However, if you would like to watch the videos from last year, you can view them here: http://sharonostermann.blog.com/2011/03/01/interview-workshop-the-class-of-2014-talks/
For those of you unable to make the workshop or haven't applied this year, the vet school does offer free tours throughout the year. Tours are subject to the availability of tour guides (student schedules/school breaks) and the areas toured are subject to change based on availability/use. The person in charge of arranging tours is changing, so call (530) 752-1507 and they will put you in touch with the tours department.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I would like to amend my prior post:
If you know for sure that you will go to Davis if accepted (like I did), then it is totally fine to miss the workshop day (and schedule your own tour, request an interview mentor, etc.).
However, if you are on the fence about Davis (not sure why you would be
), then you should probably make the workshop day more of a priority.
If you know for sure that you will go to Davis if accepted (like I did), then it is totally fine to miss the workshop day (and schedule your own tour, request an interview mentor, etc.).
However, if you are on the fence about Davis (not sure why you would be
), then you should probably make the workshop day more of a priority.Quit stalling us with all this minutiae. On with the show already!! 😀
You guys are killing me -- every time I get an email update about this thread, I get all excited thinking that it's someone finally announcing they got an interview... 

I just got one!!! OOS!
For everyone waiting, I hope you hear soon too!!!
For everyone waiting, I hope you hear soon too!!!

Last edited:
You guys are killing me -- every time I get an email update about this thread, I get all excited thinking that it's someone finally announcing they got an interview...![]()
Imagine how we feel! 🙂
Congrats Radvet!!
Wooohooo! 
I guess I jinxed it! 😉
Congrats! ...and let them keep coming!

I guess I jinxed it! 😉
Congrats! ...and let them keep coming!
I just got an interview invite via email 30 minutes ago!
http://www.vetmed.ucdavis.edu/interview_info/
Selected quotes from the message.
http://www.vetmed.ucdavis.edu/interview_info/
Selected quotes from the message.
I don't know when I will be interviewing because we have to call them for, but because I'm from Florida I don't know if I will be able to make both the interview and the orientation because it is so far.This year, we received 1142 applications for admission to the Class of 2016. Approximately 220 of the most competitive applicants will interview for one of the 138 positions available.
Interviews will begin Wednesday, February 22 and will end Thursday, March 15. Interviews will be held Monday through Friday, 9 a.m.-noon and 1-4:00 p.m. Your interview will be 25-30 minutes in length and will be conducted by three members of the Admissions Committee.
Veterinary students and representatives from the School would like to invite you to attend the Annual Interview Orientation on Saturday, February 18, 10 a.m.-4 p.m. in 1020 Gladys Valley Hall at the School of Veterinary Medicine.
All applicants, accepted and denied, will be notified of admission decisions via email beginning the week of March 26.
It makes sense that OOS notifications will proceed any IS decisions. Admissions personnel also mentioned that the school was looking at OOS applicants more competitively than in the past. Good luck to everyone and may good news come their way soon. 🙂
Gahhh!! Glad no IS has heard yet
What do you mean by looking at OOS applicants more competitively? ie) They are letting more OOS applicants in then previous years?
Gahhh!! Glad no IS has heard yet
I'm ready to hear!! I hope I'm lucky enough to get an interview, but enough already, I think someone already said, but lets get the show on the road!
Hahah I mean glad no IS has heard before I have heard
Or better yet, glad August hasn't heard yet before me : P
What do you mean by looking at OOS applicants more competitively? ie) They are letting more OOS applicants in then previous years?
Yes. And most schools are, because OOS students generate more money. 🙂
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
What do you mean by looking at OOS applicants more competitively? ie) They are letting more OOS applicants in then previous years?
I imagine that is what the thinking is. There is a new Dean and I think they are looking at ways to ensure that they continue to thrive as a top-rated program. Crunching numbers and such. And with state funding being reduced... well, you know the story. I wouldn't worry, though. Davis will still primarily be a vet school for Californians. They have always been extremely difficult for OOS applicants to get seats. So I think there was a little room to give. Just my interpretations. 🙂
I thought OOS can get IS tuition after a year? If so, then what's the point of raisin the number of OOS? Can't imagine it being raised astronomically since only about 9 OOS attend
Or better yet, glad August hasn't heard yet before me : P
I'm not even an applicant. Just another Davis informant. This comment is going into your file.
I thought OOS can get IS tuition after a year? If so, then what's the point of raisin the number of OOS? Can't imagine it being raised astronomically since only about 9 OOS attend
Not every school lets you get in state tuition after a year. I'm not sure if Davis is one of them. That would need to be looked into.
I thought OOS can get IS tuition after a year? If so, then what's the point of raisin the number of OOS? Can't imagine it being raised astronomically since only about 9 OOS attend
I don't think looking more competitively at OOS applicants is just about money. New sheriff in town up there. Just making sure they are maintaining their competitive edge and prestigious ranking. 😎
Interview invites are going out!
Interview invites are going out!
How do you know?! In state or out of state? Did you get one? AH!!!!
Though I believe that in the past, Davis has allowed OOS students to qualify for in-state tuition after the first year, unlike some schools that force you to pay OSS for all four years.Yes. And most schools are, because OOS students generate more money. 🙂
I remember reading that they did let them have IS tuition in the past (I believe I read the VMSAR).
And August, they're gonna git-ya for lyin'
And August, they're gonna git-ya for lyin'
A lot of people online watching this thread!
I am instate and my last name is in the middle of the alphabet. My application was sent to VMCAS on Oct. 2nd. I have no idea how they are ordering the emails.
Ah! I have a physiology test tonight, and I should be studying, but all I seem to be doing is refreshing my e-mail and this thread! I might have to disconnect my internet for a bit just to focus.
A lot of people online watching this thread!
It's like national news!
CONGRATULATIONS, NOTLESSMORE!!! We are all SO PROUD of you. You deserve this. So excited for you! 😍
Congrats and best of luck to NOTLESSMORE, scotch and RADVET!

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Congrats to everyone who has gotten invites thus far!!!
I don't know about anyone else, but my productivity for the day has just shot to an all-time low.
I don't know about anyone else, but my productivity for the day has just shot to an all-time low.
Time has officially slowed to a stop
.
.Congrats to everyone who has gotten invites thus far!!!
I don't know about anyone else, but my productivity for the day has just shot to an all-time low.
Seriously glad I got everything I needed to get done today done already.
Hehe so true! I see 25 peeps right now *waves* hi class of 2015, I can see you!A lot of people online watching this thread!
I remember reading that they did let them have IS tuition in the past (I believe I read the VMSAR).
And August, they're gonna git-ya for lyin'
They are one of the schools that allow students to claim residency after their first year. I am pretty sure that will continue to be their policy, but don't know.
Please call me Bridget. Bridget Silvers from the Valley. I insist.