UC Davis c/o 2020 Applicants

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

katashark

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey I haven't seen a thread for this yet. How's everyone doing? Davis is my top choice! But I applied to a lot of schools. :)

Members don't see this ad.

My top choice and instate school as well.

My top choice and instate school as well.

It's not my instate unfortunately, because I'm from AZ, so we only have the (private) Midwestern, which means I don't get in-state tuition even if I got there. I applied through WICHE.

Have you been verified by VMCAS yet?

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
It's not my instate unfortunately, because I'm from AZ, so we only have the (private) Midwestern, which means I don't get in-state tuition even if I got there. I applied through WICHE.

Have you been verified by VMCAS yet?
I submitted sept 3rd. I haven't been verified yet, but by following along in other threads I figure I should be verified early next week.

I submitted sept 3rd. I haven't been verified yet, but by following along in other threads I figure I should be verified early next week.

Excellent! Way to be on top of things. My application was done for a while, I had to wait for money to come through and stuff. So I only submitted on the 14th, so I'm pretty sure I have a few weeks to wait still. Has Davis said anything to you?

No, nothing yet. I think they may wait for every one to be verified before doing anything else. I've heard their supplemental is just mostly demographic information, no essays or anything. And they do interviews mid December after the current students finish finals

No, nothing yet. I think they may wait for every one to be verified before doing anything else. I've heard their supplemental is just mostly demographic information, no essays or anything. And they do interviews mid December after the current students finish finals

I agree. All it says on their site is that once verified, the portal will open between 9/15 and 10/15. That's so nice. I don't want to write any more essays. Yeah, I read that they interview while their students are not in session. How do you feel about the MMI format?

I just got an email for the supplemental applications and they don't have essay questions :)

HUZZAH!!! No more essays! When were you verified?
I submitted my application 8/3, got verified 8/14, and I approved the coursework entry and submitted everything by 8/17. This is my second time applying and I had issues with Submitting my application last minute so I got things in ASAP.

How long did it take Davis to open things up to you? Yeah, I submitted on the 9/13, no issues though. This is my first cycle.
I actually got the email on 9/18 but didn't see it until today.

Members don't see this ad :)
Oh dang! I hope mine gets verified somewhat soon if it took that long for Davis' portal to open. When is it due? Does it say? I'm sorry that I'm bombarding you with questions, by the way.

Haha no worries I'll just copy the email I received:] it said:

Thank you for applying to the UC Davis School of Veterinary Medicine for the Class of 2020 beginning fall 2016.

We have received your application from VMCAS and have imported it into our Applicant Portal. The Applicant Portal allows you to follow the status of your application and is the method of communication between you and our Office of Admissions. Please login to the Applicant Portal at: https://secure.vetmed.ucdavis.edu/public/ApplicantPortal/. The login page requires your VMCAS ID and will provide you an initial password to access your portal.

APPLICANT PORTAL DEADLINES:
You must complete the following no later than October 15th:

-Complete the secondary application and pay the $60 processing fee.

-Confirm your contact information.

-Document your prerequisites: If you are an applicant attending a CA public college, you must check the ASSIST.org website to make sure you have/are enrolled in the correct science courses. These are the courses that should be recorded when you document your prerequisites. If you are not enrolled at a CA public college, you must confirm from your school that you have/will take Genetics, Biochemistry and Physiology at the upper division level. Lower division courses in these subjects will not be accepted. Review the course descriptions on our website http://www.vetmed.ucdavis.edu/students/admissions/required_prevet_courses.cfm to make certain that courses you have taken or will be enrolled will satisfy our course requirements.

IMPORTANT: All required course work must be completed and a bachelor’s degree must be conferred by the end of the spring term prior to matriculation in the DVM program if admitted.

-GRE Scores: Only scores for tests taken September 1, 2010-September 1, 2015 are acceptable. The highest scores within this five-year period will be used for consideration of admission. Tests taken after September 1, 2015 will not be considered. Scores must be sent to school code 4804 and be received in our office no later than Oct 15th. Score reports received after Oct. 15 will not be considered. (If you did not send scores to 4804, you must resend them to the correct school code. We cannot retrieve scores sent to other departments on the UC Davis campus.)

-PPI evaluations: Your PPI evaluations must have been written and submitted to ETS from your evaluators by Sept. 1. PPI Evaluation Reports must be received in our office no later than Oct. 15th. Reports received after Oct. 15th will not be considered for admission.

Applications that are still incomplete after Oct. 15th, will not be considered for admission the 2015-16 application cycle.

WICHE APPLICANTS: The UC Davis School of Veterinary Medicine is pleased to participate in the WICHE Professional Student Exchange Program (PSEP). Certified WICHE applicants are evaluated the same as California applicants and therefore have a greater chance of being admitted than a non-resident applicant. Applicants that choose to submit their VMCAS application as a WICHE applicant may not change their status to a non-resident applicant after October 15th or once their application is considered “Complete” in the Applicant Portal, whichever occurs first. WICHE applicants are highly encouraged to speak with the WICHE representatives in their home state to fully understand the implications of applying and receiving WICHE support. If offered admission to the UC Davis School of Veterinary Medicine DVM program, WICHE applicants must accept their admission as a WICHE supported student for all four years of their veterinary education. WICHE supported students may not convert to non-resident status or file for California residency at any time during the four years of the DVM program.

VSTP APPLICANTS: If you intend to apply for the Veterinary Scientist Training Program (VSTP), you will need to complete additional documents available on the VSTP website http://www.vetmed.ucdavis.edu/vstp/index.cfm. All documents must be received in our office no later than Oct. 15th.

You will be sent a notification email when the status of your application has changed; however, you should check your portal at least once a week even if you have not received an email (also be sure to check your spam mail). Emails will come from [email protected]. Please add this address to your trusted senders. Note: this address can only SEND messages. It does not receive them. If you have questions and wish to contact us, use the ‘messages’ link on your portal. The portal has been optimized for use on a desktop/laptop as well as on iPhones.

In-person *MMI interviews are required for admission. If you are invited for an interview, you will be notified via your portal by mid-November. MMI Interviews will be December 10, 11, 14 & 15 on the UC Davis campus. Because of the unique nature of the MMI format, interviews are in person and cannot be conducted remotely. We know these MMI dates are not convenient for all interviewees, however; these interviews require multiple rooms and space that is only available when our students are on winter break.

Once again, thank you for applying to the DVM program at UC Davis.

*Interviews will be conducted using the Multiple Mini Interview (MMI) technique. The MMI does not test knowledge of veterinary medicine but rather personal attributes, qualities or skills considered important to the practice of veterinary medicine. These include communication, ability to work as part of a team, ethical and critical decision-making abilities, and behaviors such as empathy, honesty and reliability.

The MMI is a series of short, structured interviews used to assess personal traits/qualities. Each mini interview provides a candidate with three minutes to read a scenario and mentally prepare before entering the interview room. Upon entering, the candidate has seven minutes of dialogue with one interviewer/rater (or, in some cases, a third party as the interviewer/rater observes). Each scenario may have 3-4 questions and the candidate will be told how many questions there are at the beginning. There are 10 stations and the interview will take a total of one hour and 20 minutes.

Haha no worries I'll just copy the email I received:] it said:

Thank you for applying to the UC Davis School of Veterinary Medicine for the Class of 2020 beginning fall 2016.

Thanks so much! That was very informative, especially for interview dates. But crap, I hope my VMCAS is verified before 10/15. That would totally suck. How do you feel about the MMI format?

Thanks so much! That was very informative, especially for interview dates. But crap, I hope my VMCAS is verified before 10/15. That would totally suck. How do you feel about the MMI format?
Not a problem! As long as you had all your transcripts and eLORs in you should be good to go. I've heard mixed reviews about MMI interviews so not sure what to think of it, but I'm sure it's not too bad. I'd definitely read up on previous Davis posts to get a better understanding of the interview process when it comes down to it

Not a problem! As long as you had all your transcripts and eLORs in you should be good to go. I've heard mixed reviews about MMI interviews so not sure what to think of it, but I'm sure it's not too bad. I'd definitely read up on previous Davis posts to get a better understanding of the interview process when it comes down to it

Thanks! Yeah, I'll read up on Davis interview stuff when it gets a bit closer/when I find out if I have one or not. So, were you not interviewed last cycle? What'd you do differently this cycle? More experience?

I applied two years ago but I definitely did not feel ready. I took the GRE three weeks before the application deadline and finished my application (including personal statement) in two weeks. I did get an interview but no acceptance. I do feel more prepared this time around because I had two years to gain more experience. (I already graduated so the only way I could really stand out at this point is through my experience.) Im interested in research/lab animal so I've been working in a lab for the past couple years and have had papers published. I'm hoping this year will be my year:] ** fingers crossed**

I applied two years ago but I definitely did not feel ready. I took the GRE three weeks before the application deadline and finished my application (including personal statement) in two weeks. I did get an interview but no acceptance. I do feel more prepared this time around because I had two years to gain more experience. (I already graduated so the only way I could really stand out at this point is through my experience.) Im interested in research/lab animal so I've been working in a lab for the past couple years and have had papers published. I'm hoping this year will be my year:] ** fingers crossed**

Yes! Good luck! It seems like you're in a great position! I'm interested in aquatics and research. I've also already graduated, so there's no changing my grades. I've got lots of field experience, so hopefully that helps me stand out. :) Best of luck to you!

I'm OOS unfortunately. I'm from Arizona, so we only have Midwestern, which is private so they don't even have IS tuition. So, I'm a WICHE applicant for Davis.

So not everyone has received an email to set up a portal yet? I haven't received one, but one of my friends have.... So I'm just a bit worried.... My application has also not been verified by vmcas yet; does this have something to do with it? I have received confirmation from other schools that they received my application, even though vmcas has not verified them yet either, so i'm not sure how this all works.

So not everyone has received an email to set up a portal yet? I haven't received one, but one of my friends have.... So I'm just a bit worried.... My application has also not been verified by vmcas yet; does this have something to do with it? I have received confirmation from other schools that they received my application, even though vmcas has not verified them yet either, so i'm not sure how this all works.
The schools receive your application when you submit it, they don't necessarily wait until after verification. I have received an email to set up a portal and submit my supplemental application. I submitted my VMCAS application beginning of August and was verified by mid August. If you submitted your application later, that could be the reason for the delay.

The schools receive your application when you submit it, they don't necessarily wait until after verification. I have received an email to set up a portal and submit my supplemental application. I submitted my VMCAS application beginning of August and was verified by mid August. If you submitted your application later, that could be the reason for the delay.

Okay. That makes sense. I submitted my application at the beginning of September. It's just hard being patient sometimes :unsure:

Okay. That makes sense. I submitted my application at the beginning of September. It's just hard being patient sometimes :unsure:

I'm with you there. I also have not been verified yet, and am just waiting for the portal email. It's hard to find distractions from this sort of thing. Good luck!

I'm with you there. I also have not been verified yet, and am just waiting for the portal email. It's hard to find distractions from this sort of thing. Good luck!
Thank you, good luck to you too! I got verified on Wednesday 9/23 and had submitted my application on 9/5. Hopefully yours will be verified soon! I am just waiting for the portal email and instructions now... :confused:

Supplemental application went in last week. Does anyone know from last year when we should start hearing about interviews? I'm OOS

I definitely don't think it should be for a couple weeks. Their supplemental is due Oct 15, then they have to process those. But I don't know the exact dates. Interviews are in dec/jan, right?

Supplemental application went in last week. Does anyone know from last year when we should start hearing about interviews? I'm OOS

I definitely don't think it should be for a couple weeks. Their supplemental is due Oct 15, then they have to process those. But I don't know the exact dates. Interviews are in dec/jan, right?
Their website says mid-December. Acceptances/waitlists posted by the end of January.

I think its the 2nd and 3rd weekends ( friday/ saturday i think) of December that they interview. They have to wait until the vet students are done with finals before bringing in all the potential students.

Hey all, so I received this message today. Hope this helps give everyone a better idea of their timeline - seems a bit earlier than last year, which is nice.

"If you are granted an interview, you will be notified via your portal by November 13. We anticipate interviewing approximately 240 applicants. All applicants not offered an interview will be informed of our final admission decision via the applicant portal by November 20. Multi Mini Interviews (*MMI) will be held December 10, 11, 14, 15 at the UC Davis School of Veterinary Medicine."

Also, I was perusing the c/o 2019 forum and the UC Davis Vet Admin posted that they provide so many scholarships and grants that OOS tuition is usually between 22-25k making them super affordable. I also gleaned that they have streamlined the first round of their admissions process to ONLY be based on GRE quant, GPA, and PPI. I haven't called or verified this, but it seems many students were told this directly from the school, and so I'm just passing it along. Once an interview is granted, your file is put away and your acceptance/rejection is based entirely on the MMI scores. So, there's that.

Last edited:

Once your supplemental app is considered complete, your will receive a message that says interviews will be December 10, 11, 14, 15 . You'll know by November 13 if you've been selected for an interview.

I don't know if anyone else noticed this, but on my portal it now says "This system will automatically 'Submit' and close on Friday, October 23, 2015 at 5 PM (PACIFIC)" instead of October 15th. I guess they had to push the deadline back due to the VMCAS delay!

I don't know if anyone else noticed this, but on my portal it now says "This system will automatically 'Submit' and close on Friday, October 23, 2015 at 5 PM (PACIFIC)" instead of October 15th. I guess they had to push the deadline back due to the VMCAS delay!

Huh! Makes sense. I hope this doesn't push back when we find out about interviews. It would only be a week's difference, I guess, but still. :p

They pushed the date back again!

"This system will automatically 'Submit' and close on Wednesday, October 28, 2015 at 11 PM (PACIFIC). You must have completed the required 'Applicant Checklist' items below before that time for your application to be considered for admission."​

I seriously hope they are still posting interview information on the 13th. I've been counting down the days...

Has anyone heard back about interviews yet? I've been so anxious!

Has anyone heard back about interviews yet? I've been so anxious!
They said they would let us know 11/13 if we got one and 11/20 if we didn't. That was before they pushed back the supplemental app deadline though.

Anyone hear back? I think I have the grades and test scores, but now I'm scared that my PPIs came back awful or didn't get sent in or something.

Also, do they send all invites out at once, or tell people slowly over time?

Also, do they send all invites out at once, or tell people slowly over time?

With the original supplemental due date, they said interview invites sent by 11/13, rejections by 11/20. However, the date has been pushed back, I don't know if anyone knows how that may or may not have changed the dates for invites.

I seriously wouldn't stress about it. Since dates were pushed back for Davis, I'm sure they are just taking their time. You could send them a message if you really want to know how dates have changed.

With the original supplemental due date, they said interview invites sent by 11/13, rejections by 11/20. However, the date has been pushed back, I don't know if anyone knows how that may or may not have changed the dates for invites.

I seriously wouldn't stress about it. Since dates were pushed back for Davis, I'm sure they are just taking their time. You could send them a message if you really want to know how dates have changed.
I might do that. They sent me the supplemental app on the day before it was due (10/14). It's quick, but I imagine that many people couldn't finish it in such a limited time, so I'm not surprised that they pushed back the due date.

Last edited:
I might do that. They sent me the supplemental app on the day before ti was due. It's quick, but I imagine that many people couldn't finish it in such a limited time, so I'm not surprised that they pushed back the due date.

yeah, if you look in your portal, you can see that the day was pushed back from the original 10/15.

My heart rate went up by approx 247% when I saw people had posted in this thread :laugh: Good luck, all! :luck:

Reactions: 1 users
I messaged them, they say offers for interviews will still be posted by the 13th.

Reactions: 7 users
I messaged them, they say offers for interviews will still be posted by the 13th.

"By Nov. 13th" = Nov. 12th 11:59pm lol just kidding, hopefully not though.... Just realized the 13th is in 3 days! I've been so preoccupied with other things that I didn't even realize how close that is! Davis is my IS school, but I don't know if I have the grades to get invited for an interview :shrug: