UC Davis c/o 2027 Hopefuls

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
IS acceptance as well 😭😭 best day of my life to say the least

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
OH MY GOD THE NERVES im going to be crying for the next hour if I get no calls :,(

IS acceptance!!!! Got the call at 4pm PST on the dot

Members don't see this ad :)
According to AAVMC data, 100% of students get scholarships. Does anyone know how much these scholarships are? I watched a video where the Dean said that they really try to drive down the cost of attendance for students. Just curious how significant these scholarships actually are!
There is an SVM grant fund that every year is dispersed equally among all students, you don't apply for it. It is not a guarantee that it happens every year/how much it will be BUT it has been applied every year I've been here and on average is around 7k which is just automatically applied to your account and deducted from tuition before your statement posts. There is also the SVM scholarship program, but you cannot apply to it until you are an active student (so actually in your first year), but there are thousands of dollars of scholarships available. Typically not all first years will get one, but pretty much if you apply the remainder of the years you will at least get one each year, if not more (they range from $500-10,000ish).

The calls from students have finished. They were mostly the latter half of the last names alphabetically. The other folks who make the calls may be still calling or just started calling. If you missed the call, admission details will post up by Sunday.

I got the call at 4:30 PST for IS acceptance 🥺 so thrilled to have this opportunity.

Reactions: 2 users
Congrats to everyone who got in! For those who did not get a call tonight, it is possible it didn't get through or you will get pulled from the waitlist. HOWEVER, even if you did not get accepted this year, you can always try again in the future. I was personally denied last year after interviewing but got in this year. I was super sad initially, I won't deny it. But the extra year to really plan out what I wanted to do with my life was one of the best things that happened to me in all honesty.

Also, to anyone with Davis questions, feel free to contact me! I am vetmed staff here. I currently work in a research lab, but previously worked in the hospital as a vet assistant and did my undergrad thesis with professors at the vet school. Could definitely attempt to answer some general Davis or School of Vetmed questions!

• Care
Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Do they call you if you are on the waitlist or do they just put it on your portal?

Do they call you if you are on the waitlist or do they just put it on your portal?
I believe it just went on the portal last year, although maybe they call when you move off the waitlist? idk

So are they done with calls?? 😢😢😢😢😢😢😢😢😢

• Care
I believe it just went on the portal last year, although maybe they call when you move off the waitlist? idk
Okay thank you. I am guessing they will update it Sunday when they update it for everyone who got called today. Congrats on getting in by the way! Congrats to everyone else who got in!

• Care
IS acceptance!!! Got the call at 4:30 PM PST. Congratulations to everyone else who got in!!!

OOS acceptance!! I got the call at work today I can't believe it!! My dream school 😭😭

Reactions: 4 users
I didn't get a call today, and 4-6pm PST was honestly the longest 2 hours of my life :cryi: I'm feeling such a range of emotions (mostly sadness) rn, and I want everyone whose in the same position right now to know that we're in this together

• Care
I didn't get a call today, and 4-6pm PST was honestly the longest 2 hours of my life :cryi: I'm feeling such a range of emotions (mostly sadness) rn, and I want everyone whose in the same position right now to know that we're in this together
right there with ya, but just because we didn't get a call doesn't me we won't get in, our time will come :)

• Care
Reactions: 3 users
How many people are planning on going to the admitted students day on Feb 10?

There's a thread for the admitted students too:

Just received my official offer of admission in my portal - I'm assuming other portals will be updated soon

Waitlisted! My portal still doesn’t show what position I am. I still have hope for us! Congrats to everyone that got accepted!

Does anyone who got in plans to reject his/her acceptance if they get in to another school for sure? I’m currently ranked in the 30s so I want to have a better picture of how realistic it is for me to get in…

anyone on the waitlist trying not to check the portal everyday - such a struggle 🫣

• Care
Hi everyone! I am new to SDN and an admitted Davis student for the Class of 2027. Best of luck to all those hoping to get off the waitlist- my heart goes out to you! I am OOS for Davis and I'm trying to decide whether it is a good fit for me. I would really appreciate any insight on the following questions. TIA!

1. Do you feel like the faculty is welcoming/ supportive?

2. Is the environment generally friendly/ non-competitive?

3. Is it common for students to have dogs?

4. What do students do for fun in Davis?

5. Are lectures mandatory/ can they be watched in real-time online?

6. How much money does the average student get in scholarships from UC Davis?

7. Do students generally have a good work-life balance?

Hi everyone! I am new to SDN and an admitted Davis student for the Class of 2027. Best of luck to all those hoping to get off the waitlist- my heart goes out to you! I am OOS for Davis and I'm trying to decide whether it is a good fit for me. I would really appreciate any insight on the following questions. TIA!

Hi!! I was also accepted, so I don't have much to add here other than cost. I was really concerned about it until I did a bit of a deep dive. UC-Davis would actually almost be the same price as my contract seat (IS tuition) schools. What made a big difference is that I broke down the cost of attendance for every school and Davis was the only one to include health insurance, so I removed that. I also watched previous videos were OOS students said claiming IS residency after the first year was an easy process, so that would help tuition a lot. They also said on our portal we'll get at least $8100 the first year and $7600 each year after. Idk about other scholarships. But all that is really helping with my decision:)

VERY much so. I am personally an equine student and as a group (especially in third year) have become very close with our faculty/clinicians where we know them on a personal basis and talk with them about topics beyond just our classes. It really feels like they genuinely just want us to succeed.

I feel like the most competitive I have been has been with myself lol there are always people that overly stress about grades or exam question points but for the most part I don't think anyone is really caring about how they are performing in a comparison to everyone else. We do have class rankings available, but I think a majority of students have stopped even checking it since it is so relative.

Yes! Almost every student has a pet of some sort. Each class has a homeroom on the second floor of valley hall and once the class presidents are elected in the fall they will send out information about homeroom rules including keeping your dog in a crate in homeroom during the day/whenever you are on campus. We also have a pet sitting program for 4th year that is sort of a "pay it forward" kind of program, where year 1-3 students will volunteer to walk, feed, let dogs out to go potty for the 4th years on rotations (SAVMA will also do gift card incentives), and then the goal is once you are on clinics there will be lower classmen to do the same for you.

There are a ton of breweries and wineries in the area, we have the davis greenbelt for running/biking/etc, we have intramural sports throughout the year, Sac is only 15 min away with kings games/concerts/etc, and then I personally go out to my barn a lot and just get together with people from class for wine nights and such. We are also only a couple hours from Tahoe so people will go up for weekends or even day trips for skiing/snowboarding, hiking, or just to get away/outside.

Labs/discussions/group sessions are mandatory (you will have to check in) but in-person lecture attendance is not! All lectures are live-streamed + recordings available almost immediately after.

Like it was mentioned above there is the return to aid grant thats dispersed across all students each year. In first year you get a *little* bit extra to theoretically go towards a computer/tablet. Technically this grant is not guaranteed every year because it is based on donations, but it has been consistently given out at the entire time I have been here. We also have the internal scholarship system specifically through the SVM that you won't be able to apply for until December (for scholarships applied to the following school year). Typically not all first years will get scholarships the first time applying, but it is pretty common to at least get something when applying in years 2-4. The scholarships range from $500 to around $10,000, and awards are based on grades, leadership, jobs, volunteer, essays, and financial need.

I'd say so! Like the competitive-ness, I think it definitely depends on the person in any vet school environment to prioritize work life balance. But overall, I think we are given the tools we need. It was a little challenging specifically for my class that had online school because of covid first year, since there was no physical separation between school space and home space, but I think having all classes and sessions available on campus definitely makes it easier to mentally separate the two for more of a balance.

Hopefully that is somewhat helpful! I would also recommend posting these question on the FB if you want multiple different opinions on any of these questions :)

Hi!! I was also accepted, so I don't have much to add here other than cost. I was really concerned about it until I did a bit of a deep dive. UC-Davis would actually almost be the same price as my contract seat (IS tuition) schools. What made a big difference is that I broke down the cost of attendance for every school and Davis was the only one to include health insurance, so I removed that. I also watched previous videos were OOS students said claiming IS residency after the first year was an easy process, so that would help tuition a lot. They also said on our portal we'll get at least $8100 the first year and $7600 each year after. Idk about other scholarships. But all that is really helping with my decision:)

VERY much so. I am personally an equine student and as a group (especially in third year) have become very close with our faculty/clinicians where we know them on a personal basis and talk with them about topics beyond just our classes. It really feels like they genuinely just want us to succeed.

I feel like the most competitive I have been has been with myself lol there are always people that overly stress about grades or exam question points but for the most part I don't think anyone is really caring about how they are performing in a comparison to everyone else. We do have class rankings available, but I think a majority of students have stopped even checking it since it is so relative.

Yes! Almost every student has a pet of some sort. Each class has a homeroom on the second floor of valley hall and once the class presidents are elected in the fall they will send out information about homeroom rules including keeping your dog in a crate in homeroom during the day/whenever you are on campus. We also have a pet sitting program for 4th year that is sort of a "pay it forward" kind of program, where year 1-3 students will volunteer to walk, feed, let dogs out to go potty for the 4th years on rotations (SAVMA will also do gift card incentives), and then the goal is once you are on clinics there will be lower classmen to do the same for you.

There are a ton of breweries and wineries in the area, we have the davis greenbelt for running/biking/etc, we have intramural sports throughout the year, Sac is only 15 min away with kings games/concerts/etc, and then I personally go out to my barn a lot and just get together with people from class for wine nights and such. We are also only a couple hours from Tahoe so people will go up for weekends or even day trips for skiing/snowboarding, hiking, or just to get away/outside.

Labs/discussions/group sessions are mandatory (you will have to check in) but in-person lecture attendance is not! All lectures are live-streamed + recordings available almost immediately after.

Like it was mentioned above there is the return to aid grant thats dispersed across all students each year. In first year you get a *little* bit extra to theoretically go towards a computer/tablet. Technically this grant is not guaranteed every year because it is based on donations, but it has been consistently given out at the entire time I have been here. We also have the internal scholarship system specifically through the SVM that you won't be able to apply for until December (for scholarships applied to the following school year). Typically not all first years will get scholarships the first time applying, but it is pretty common to at least get something when applying in years 2-4. The scholarships range from $500 to around $10,000, and awards are based on grades, leadership, jobs, volunteer, essays, and financial need.

I'd say so! Like the competitive-ness, I think it definitely depends on the person in any vet school environment to prioritize work life balance. But overall, I think we are given the tools we need. It was a little challenging specifically for my class that had online school because of covid first year, since there was no physical separation between school space and home space, but I think having all classes and sessions available on campus definitely makes it easier to mentally separate the two for more of a balance.

Hopefully that is somewhat helpful! I would also recommend posting these question on the FB if you want multiple different opinions on any of these questions :)
Thank you both- this is super helpful!

• Care

Not a student, but I am currently full time vetmed research staff and worked part time at the hospital as a davis undergrad. I am also potentially your classmate.

I don't have enough kinds words to say about the faculty. Whether it was helping me to swap positions within the school (going from clinical to a lab), doing interview/application prep with me, or simply being there for me in rough patches, I feel they truly set me up for success and went far above what I ever expected of them.

I am still debating if I will accept my seat. Does anyone know if the curriculum is balanced between large and small animals (I am mainly interested in cattle)? I get the sense that it is more small animal based.

I am still debating if I will accept my seat. Does anyone know if the curriculum is balanced between large and small animals (I am mainly interested in cattle)? I get the sense that it is more small animal based.
The first two years are comparative across all species and then we select a didactic track for third year. In fall of third year you can pick either LA or SA stream, and then in spring LA splits further into Livestock, Equine, and Zoo. There is a comparative P/F class third year with everyone in addition so you still get exposure to whichever species you aren't focusing on. In clinical year, you also select an emphasis, one of which you can pick is livestock. I personally feel that the clinical exposure in LA medicine you get through choosing those tracks in 3rd and 4th year is insanely impressive. For example, the 3rd year livestock students just got to do their own sheep c-sections last week in addition to all of the other surgeries we do in 3rd year, and I believe they still have 4 other livestock specific surgeries they are doing before we head into clinics in April!

Does Davis have a dress code for lecture/ required scrub color for clinic/ lab? Also, are classes graded A-F or pass/ fail? Thank you!

Does Davis have a dress code for lecture/ required scrub color for clinic/ lab? Also, are classes graded A-F or pass/ fail? Thank you!
No dress code! For scrubs we are supposed to wear ceil blue for any live animal labs but can wear any other color for other labs (i.e. anatomy). We are on the block system so the primary block courses are graded but there are some semester long courses we have in addition (i.e. surgery/anesthesia) that are P/F. The only P/F block is Basic Foundations which is the very first block (8 weeks) which is a nice transition to vet school when everyone is figuring out their study strategies and what not.

anyone on the waitlist trying not to check the portal everyday - such a struggle 🫣
It me lol ✋:confused: It's definitely tough playing the waiting game, but keep your chin up!

• Care
Interview cycles are independent.
That being said, unless things drastically change following the removal of the GRE (tbd), Davis has a very GPA focused application process pre-interview. So if your GPA was previously competitive, there is a decent chance it will be competitive in the following cycle. But no guarantees or advantage for being previously interviewed.

Interview cycles are independent, you are NOT guaranteed an interview just because you had one in a previous cycle. Like previously mentioned, the way Davis ranks/determines who gets an interview does mean that if you had very competitive GPAs the first cycle (and received an interview) then there are decent odds that based on those same numbers you could anticipate an interview the second time. However, this is all completely dependent on the applicant pool and the stats of applicants you are being evaluated with each cycle.

How do you know
Davis is one of the more open schools about how their application process works, and I think they do a good job of making clear what goes into the decisions for interview invites.

NOTE: The process currently listed in evaluating applicants will be changing to some degree following the removal of the GRE

the way i get a heart attack every time i see new message in your portal and im on the waitlist

• Care
I just got pulled off the waitlist and have accepted my offer!! I was originally waitlisted spot 9, good luck to everyone else!!

• Love
Made the super hard decision yesterday to decline my IS seat (I think they only have one waitlist tho!) I know it probably seems crazy to decline IS but I’m a California resident with no family in California and after a lot of back and forth decided to accept an offer closer to home. Best of luck everyone! Y’all will be great doctors!!!

• Care